The Nerdery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Steve Arndt and Adrian Slobin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "free soda and food, bring your dog to work, choose your own hours" (in 11 reviews)

• "Work life balance is very flexible" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management sometimes announces stuff before it's ready to be announced" (in 9 reviews)

• "But provide great customer service" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great People, Great Work, and Right Direction!"

Current Employee - Client Growth
    Current Employee - Client Growth

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Nerdery is a great place to work and the Nerds are amazing humans. Every day I am stretched to learn something new with colleagues much smarter than me. Everyone is so collaborative and inclusive. I have yet to encounter a brilliant jerk. We work on diverse projects with a diverse customer base which keeps work fresh and exciting. The company culture is awesome and provides many of the amenities you would expect from a modern tech company. The work/life balance is legit! Great job to have if you value flexibility and time off.

Cons

Change is hard. We have had to make changes to our business to remain relevant. Those necessary changes affected some talented people and that is never fun.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction we are going. Communicate the change and the Nerds will crush it!

"Thanks!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great engineers
    - People care about the job and each other.
    - Clients respect us.

Cons

- Your experience as a dev can vary a lot depending on what project you're assigned to.
    - Always be billing.

Advice to Management

- Thank you!
    - Could y'all invest more time in training for engineers? We did it for the sales teams!

"Exciting times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feels like we are on the other side of a lot of change, some hard, but most of it necessary. Cool working style - relaxed, can be yourself, flexible in terms of where and how you work. Excited about the future here, with lots of opportunity and an infusion over the last year of new leadership.

Cons

Mediocre office in Bloomington - lots of dogs (okay) but also old facility. Other offices are nicer. Need more senior technology leadership.

Advice to Management

Don't let the "old Nerdery" slow you down, there are a lot of people excited about what's next.

"What you make of it"

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time

Pros

Innovation is rewarded, maturity and ability yield opportunity and autonomy, and people care about each other.

Cons

Cliques exist, although that's just human nature. Make your own if you like.

Advice to Management

Communication is improving - stay accessible and keep leaning into rank and file engagement.

"Had high hopes and was let down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Nerdery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back environment. If you want to work from home, you can. If you want to do your own thing and not get involved, you can. If you want to bring your dog, you can. If you want to fly under the radar, you absolutely can.

Some fun in-office perks. Salad bar once a month, birthday cakes once a month, food on Fridays, beer taps if you stay late enough to enjoy them.

Cons

Lack of direction. Management seems to be floundering with deciding what the company is and where it's going. This has trickled down to team members not sure where their projects and work fits into the future of the company. While leadership tries to communicate, the direction isn't clear and uses a lot of larger industry terms that are hard or not able to apply to real world project examples.

Lots of people continue to leave. Many of the best and brightest have left making those who are still there wonder why they should stay. A lot of mentoring and knowledge has left with those people leaving a big hole at this company. The path forward seems blurry at best and it probably won't get better for a long while.

Lots of managers who don't manage. The Nerdery suffers from a lot of mediocre people (who shouldn't manage others) being in higher lever positions in the company. They don't want to put in work to make things better but rather enjoy their position and have other people do their work. There needs to be a drastic overhaul of all management levels and hopefully there's someone who has a good sense for management talent who can try and promote the right people into those positions.

Compensation is low. Pretty far below where the industry standard is. Good talent costs more and without The Nerdery being willing to shell out more dollars for good people, they'll never replace the huge amount of talent they've lost.

Culture is failing. The culture used to be one of inclusiveness, quirkiness and fun. Now it feels like, as an employee, you're not an individual anymore. You're just a number on a spreadsheet who needs to maximize their usability. Leadership couldn't be further from the real workers in the agency. Saying "my door is always open" doesn't mean a thing if you don't listen to people. Lots of word around the office that it's no longer the best place for nerds to work which is too bad.

No career paths. Very difficult to see a career path at this company. No matter how hard you push, you won't get a clear answer from the head of your department head or practice lead.

Confusing roles. Lack of role clarity is big here. They keep rolling out new titles and roles with little or no communication about what they do or how they interact with other roles.

Advice to Management

Find a direction that makes sense and is communicated in a way that people can apply to their own projects and daily work life. Not sure what you can do about the culture other than lead by example.

"Loved this place, the people, and the job"

I worked at The Nerdery full-time

Pros

I love this place. I started my career here and grew so much. It was really amazing. Fast moving and great opportunities with challenging (the good kind) clients really pushed me to learn and grow. On top of that the people were amazing. Everyone helped each other out and it really felt more like a family than a team. If you ever needed help The Nerds came to help. It was amazing and I would recommend that anyone who wants to grow in the professional services / technology world join The Nerdery.

Great benefits and PTO, great pay (I always saw great raises with performance and was promoted several times), leadership who is trying so hard to make the business a better place and grow the team and keep the amazing culture strong.

Everything The Nerdery is doing is really smart and going to yield dividends. The new leadership is amazing and has a great vision and strategy as well as getting the job done. Really personable and capable leadership that I trusted to drive the company to success.

Cons

As the company has evolved some people at the company have been stuck in the past and 'good old days.' Those memories are myopic and people ignore the amazing things right in front of them and the great opportunities. As I said above the place is more like family than a company and when the company changes over time (like every other growing company) some people felt like the thing they loved changed. It did, for the better.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing in the right direction. The internet is full of trolls and the sales people who don't sell anything for more than a year and get let go tend to be really grumpy online. Ignore the haters. The fact that you got rid of horrible performers is a huge plus even if you get hit with grumpy ratings.

p.s. Dear reader, if you read some of the low reviews they're from crappy sales people who were let go because they never sold a thing. No sales = no work for us devs = bad experience. So management keeps the pressure on the sales team to be amazing. Some don't make the cut and get real vocal.

"Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Nerdery does a really good job of creating a culture around learning by building an internal community among it's disciplines. If there is a problem or technology you are struggling with, there is always someone who is an expert and willing to help you out.

The Nerdery has recently been implementing training initiatives to ensure it's employees can stay up to date on current technologies and continue to grow their skillset.

Cons

Company wide communications has been a bit of a struggle, you don't always feel totally informed on what is happening with the company. However, this issue has been recognized and working on addressing it.

There has been quite a bit of leadership change over the last year or two which has caused some employees confidence in the company to dip. The company is in a bit of a transitional phase which has been an adjustment for some.

"Couldn’t ask for more from a job"

Current Employee - Senior Designer
    Current Employee - Senior Designer

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The nerdery is the only place I’ve ever heard of that offers overtime bonus to engineers and designers. Any billable time over 40 hours is paid to you at your hourly rate. Also the cultural is so friendly and fun - we have lots of social events. Also some thing I love is the opportunity to speak and get involved in the Chicago tech community as leaders. Work from home privileges when you want and generous PTO (20+ days a year).

Cons

The base salary won’t be as much but yhe opportunity for bonus makes up for that if you’re a designer or developer.

"Not That Great"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You enjoy fake enthusiasm and a restricted set of options to solve problems

Cons

This is a review by a developer. This place is a run of the mill consulting practice that will squeeze the maximum amount from each client they can. There is no ability to branch out with new technologies or skills. Your expected to preach the toolset that is approved and not deviate. The upper tier is not technical so growth potential outside the approved stack is not possible. Don't believe the hype from HR posting fake reviews.

Advice to Management

Decide what you want to be: A sales company or a technology company.

"Relaxed with high turnover"

I worked at The Nerdery full-time

Pros

Great snack selection. Beer at 5pm. Relaxed work hours and dress code. Never once asked to put in more than 40 hrs in a week.

Cons

Below average pay. High turnover. Some of the offices can be a bit cliquey. Some people do not wash their dogs before bringing them into the office.