The Nerdery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom O'Neill

Pros
  • Work life balance is very flexible (in 11 reviews)

• Having dogs at work is great for morale (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is partly what you make of it, and partly luck of the draw with projects (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes announces stuff before it's ready to be announced (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great culture, flexible environment"

Current Employee - Senion JVM Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senion JVM Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Work life balance is very flexible
    if working over 40 hours, you get paid for those hours on top of your salary

Cons

Pay is a little below average in the area
    Not much room to advance career

Feb 16, 2017 – CEO

This is Tom O'Neill, thanks for the kind words. 2017 we're building a foundation for growth. I hope that growth creates opportunity for your career advancement.

"Dissapointing waste of potential"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Nerdery (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of very smart people (as developers, designers, and PMs)

It's one of the more fun places I've worked (ex: free beer, dogs at work, etc)

Cons

Over the last 5 years, the company has really changed. It now has a distinct lack of empathy for it's employees. More and more people who work there are just treated as "resources" and not individuals.

The company also has no real direction. They've been talking about competing with companies like Accenture, but fail to actually make substantive moves in that direction. The end result is that sales, PM, and dev aren't aligned because there's not a clear vision that unites the company.

Senior management is woefully unqualified to be running a company that is trying to compete with established consulting firms. I sat in the office of the CEO multiple times and walked away feeling less confident about the future of The Nerdery each time.

Turnover has gotten really bad recently. A lot of the top talent that have been there for 6+ years have been leaving over the past year or two. It doesn't seem like that's going to change any time soon.

Finally, communication from leadership is terrible. It consistently scores the lowest among employee engagement survey results. Partially that's because there isn't a coherent vision to communicate and partially that's because they have the wrong people in leadership roles doing the communicating.

Advice to Management

Decide what sort of company you actually want to be and make big moves to get there. You've been in an identity crisis for too long and are getting held back by legacy clients and bureaucracy from actually making progress.

Also, choose someone else to be the main communicator. Tom is the wrong choice for that role.

Apr 10, 2017 – CEO

This is Tom O’Neill. I appreciate the passion and great work you brought to the team over the years at The Nerdery. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed working with alongside the many talented people ... More

3. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome work life balance, super good health benefits, comparable pay

Cons

There is a lot of beuracracy

Feb 16, 2017 – CEO

This is Tom O'Neill. We're stoked to have you on the team.

5. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits, work life balance, projects, ability to extend skills as much or as little as desired.

Cons

a lot of bureaucracy within the company.

Advice to Management

Please don't promote people just because you need to create imaginary growth.

Apr 10, 2017 – CEO

This is Tom O'Neill, I am glad you enjoy working here. I'm especially stoked to hear you like the project work we're doing for our clients. I'm very proud of the impact we're making. Thanks for ... More

6. "Good place to spend a couple years, then move on."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at The Nerdery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Lots of learning opportunities and if you are lucky some cool projects. It's a great place to spend some time at, then move on. It's the Midwest version of having Google on your resume. Everyone knows about the Nerdery and good devs come out of there, it's just too bad hey can't retain the good ones like Google can.

Cons

Pay is terrible. I've known people who have left and gotten $20-40k raises at a new job. It's really easy to get stuck in your area of expertise and really hard to dig yourself out if you are looking to learn different things. The billing requirements are a joke. You have to bill 40 hours a week or get your hand slapped. Bill 50 one week and 38 the next and your manager will come have a talk with you.

Advice to Management

Try thinking outside the box. Billable hours as the only source of income only gets you so far.

Feb 16, 2017 – CEO

This is Tom O'Neill, our Nerds are the most important component to our business. So many smart people have passed through these doors. I like to think that we're better for each and every one of ... More

"It's all about the people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Nerdery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A stocked kitchen and dogs in the office are good perks, but the truly unique positive of working at The Nerdery is the value espoused as "Co-Presidency". Essentially, everyone seeks to contribute in whatever way they can - from lending experience on a project on which they're not assigned, to problem solving across departments, to even helping wash the dishes on a break. You can count on your co-workers to help you out, even if you've never been previously introduced.

Cons

Though HR (renamed "Nerd Experience") does a good job of filtering new hires for those who would fit the culture of the company, sometimes upper management skirts around them - particularly when hiring into upper management. The result is new leadership that might tout experience in the corporate world, but are not aligned with the company's people or goals.

Advice to Management

Trust NX to find the right hires for open positions - be they internal or external. Your people culture is the glue that holds the company together, and it was a shame every time we saw new management attempt to break down that culture just to show they can make a "positive" difference after the fact.

Dec 21, 2016 – CEO

This is Tom O’Neill. Thanks for your Co-Presidential contributions and feedback. Our Nerd Experience team does an incredible job recruiting people like you, and with talent at a premium we have to ... More

"Technical Excellence, Cool Nerdy Culture Between Employees"

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Nerdery (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart and talented people to work with. Short projects keep things interesting, and allow for learning different technology skills

Cons

Focus on tracking, tracking, tracking hours. All about the billing. Often, there were no projects in the pipeline, so idle-time could drag on.

Nov 22, 2016 – CEO

This is Tom ONeill - Nobody likes being on the bench, and sorry to hear we didn’t more-fully utilize your skills. Thanks for learning with us and sharing your thoughts.

"Great environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nerdery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone loves being at work and it's infectious. The office has a very tech-centric and fun vibe. The developers are all very intelligent and very happy to help and answer questions. Flexible hours.

Cons

Some of the training materials are needlessly complex. Management issues/poor sales projections lead to semi-regular layoffs after over-hiring. When work is scarce, there's a constant fear of being laid-off.

Advice to Management

Fixing the hire-layoff cycle would be great, not only for the company as a whole but for employee morale.

Sep 12, 2016 – CEO

This is Tom O'Neill, I am glad you enjoyed the working environment and the culture of passionate Nerds. I am sorry you didn't feel confident in our management, I take that as a personal failure. As ... More

"Great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The core values of this company really align with myself as an employee, and while a lot of companies will advertise core values, in my experience it's rarely expressed in actual practice (both internally and in client engagement) like it is at The Nerdery. Everyone working here is extremely positive and wants the best for the clients that they serve, and that shows in our work we do.

Work life balance here is excellent. Projects do come up that will ask you to put in additional effort, but that is offset by an overtime bonus program and managers that will do a great job to prevent that from happening for extended periods of time (I have only personally needed to put in over 40 hours a week once in the last year)

Cons

Like any company, there are dirty spots that everyone wants to clean up. This is not a company that changes frequently from an organizational standpoint (From a technology standpoint, change is fairly frequent and the develompers and managers promote intelligent change) and it can often feel like the company is stagnant. However, as a developer that's vastly overcome by the uniqueness in project work that we get exposed to.

It can also be frustrating to see other developers get put on these longer engagements where they're taken outside of the Nerdery culture for extended periods of time, but even those engagements eventually have their ends, and the developers working those are very closely listened to by their managers to ensure they're going to get the types of projects they really want in the future.

As a developer, there aren't a lot of paths for career advancement other than additional responsibility for taking on bigger and riskier projects, or shifting into management. However, I'm not sure if there's a great solution for our industry in general for this and it can probably be seen elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Please try to promote and encourage employees to bring change into the organization, even if it involves risk!

Jan 0, 0000 – CEO

This is Tom O’Neill, appreciating your thoughts on change and adding mine. To me, change is a constant that never gets old, but not all of us have the same comfort level with change, or agree that ... More

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Great developers and Solutions Design team

Cons

Sales management has limited leadership skills