The New England Center for Children Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

L Vincent Strully Jr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • NECC offers a lot of trainings and there offer great benefits and a lot of vacation time (in 9 reviews)

• tuition reimbursement, great training with people who really know their stuff as far as ABA is concerned, full benefits, pretty good (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • As direct care staff you are overworked and WAY too much is expected of you (in 4 reviews)

• Compensation is not great, the job can be long hours and there is a lot of stress, especially in direct care (in 4 reviews)

1. "NECC is a great place to work!"

I have been working at The New England Center for Children full-time

Pros

Ever since I started working at NECC, I have felt valued. My supervisors have always been open to my suggestions and definitely want to see me succeed. There are so many opportunities to grow at NECC especially since they promote some much from within the company.

Cons

Being a non-profit company, salaries can be on the lower end. With this being said, NECC offers great benefits to employees. They offer generous vacation time, tuition reimbursement, and even have an on-site daycare.

Advice to Management

The executive team should continue to send out the staff survey each year. This helps to figure out where the problems are and how they can work to fix them. It means a lot to staff that every comment is read and taken into consideration.

2. "Great experience at NECC"

I have been working at The New England Center for Children full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Working with the students-Special Olympic events are my favorite
    -Monthly staff reinforcement-I love those food trucks
    -Vacation Time
    -Onsite master's programs

Cons

-Hours-Untraditional and can be long but overtime you can move up to have a more traditional schedule
    -You don't get paid out if you leave for sick time you don't use

Advice to Management

-Remember that Special Education has a higher burnout rate and direct supervisors should reinforce good work more frequently. It is the little things that count.

3. "A Great Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA

I have been working at The New England Center for Children full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It goes without saying that the work NECC is doing is very important and unique. I feel like the upper management and direct supervisors (Coords and Specialist) really do care about the well being of the staff. Most supervisors are able to give you feedback on the spot which can really help you improve. I also like the fun activities planned for the staff and students around each holiday. It really gives the students something to look forward to and breaks of the day to day routine. Also the 5 weeks of vacation is a huge help. The onsite graduate programs can be a huge cost saver in comparison to outside programs.

Cons

In general, salaries in the education and non-profit fields are pretty low. NECC is no exception, however I do think there is an effort made to increase salaries on an annual basis. The work itself can be really challenging and some days can be really hard.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate the effort in the staff appreciation events. It would be great if we could have more training for staff aspiring to take on management roles. Its hard to develop some of those skills in your day to day work.

4. "Company doing great things"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Southborough, MA

I worked at The New England Center for Children full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Support of graduate studies and research

Cons

Low pay and limited movement within the company

5. "Director"

I have been working at The New England Center for Children full-time

Pros

NECC seeks suggestions from employees via an optionally anonymous online suggestion box system. The publicly respond to suggestions via a company-wide weekly memo. Also, NECC works hard to show their appreciation for their employees by doing things like having ice cream trucks show up with free ice cream for staff, offering occasional chair massages and $5 mani/pedis for employees to access during breaks, holding parking lot parties, and providing an array of benefits including an excellent tuition reimbursement program. NECC is very supportive of employees' professional development and has an exceptional training program. Additonally, I like that NECC frequently promotes staff from within the organization. They provide mentoring and guidance in mapping out a career path and accessing opportunities to advance along it. However, the greatest pro of working for NECC is knowing that they are the gold standard in education services for students with autism and similar diagnoses. NECC uses only evidence-based practices in the education and treatment of students. This is refreshing in an age where there are so many "treatments of the week" that often waste precious time and/or do more harm than good.

Cons

NECC is a nonprofit education and research organization. Their salaries are competitive for the field in many states, but education is not an especially lucrative field. Direct care/entry-level employees work with student with intensive special needs who exhibit challenging behavior. The job is not for the faint of heart. However, it can be very personally rewarding for those with a heart for children with autism and similar diagnoses.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek employees' feedback and respond in as timely a manner as possible.

Sep 19, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

I’m glad to read you are having a positive experience at NECC. I’m proud of what our teachers and staff accomplish with our students every day. It’s intensive work and our teachers’ commitment and... More

"Good at first but..."

Former Employee - Day Coordinator in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Day Coordinator in Southborough, MA

I worked at The New England Center for Children full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous vacation, (somewhat) flexible schedule, LOTS of training, somewhat average salary, teamwork makes the dream work

Cons

No opportunity for advancement unless you're in the WNEU MABA program. The hours are tough, and the work can be truly dangerous. I was tired of seeing my friends and coworkers hurt because upper administration is unwilling to listen to legitimate safety concerns brought up by direct-care staff. Once I was promoted I lost time on the floor, and distanced myself from the realities of direct teaching, which lifted a weight off my shoulders. As a teacher you work terrible hours, holidays, weekends, nights, are expected to come in through snowstorms (or sleep at the residences), major holidays, and to just be ok with it. If you dare to speak out you are reprimanded and held back for promotions. I kept my head down and I am ashamed to say I witness SO MANY human rights violations during "assessments" and said nothing, in order to get by. For a behavior analysis company, they sure haven't looked into why their employees are so miserable and have a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Lose the arrogance. Take a good, hard look at what is going on in the classrooms, how the teachers look, how the kids look, and get coords back on the floor to help out.

Sep 22, 2017 – President and Cheif Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I realize that direct care work can be difficult at times for teachers, given the hours, schedules, and challenges of working with a... More

7. "good co-workers, not great management"

Former Employee - Level II Teacher
    Former Employee - Level II Teacher

I worked at The New England Center for Children full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent, supportive co-workers, 5 weeks paid vacation, doing amazing work with kids who really need you.

Cons

Staff doesn't directly confront issues on shift, instead tells managers who address it at a later date and are typically not specific enough to help you actually do differently in the future/know what you did wrong originally.

Advice to Management

Address issues in vivo so that staff can incorporate that feedback immediately and improve their performance!

Sep 19, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Professional development is part of our overall mission, ensuring we have the best teachers in the field. I’m sorry to hear your experience at NECC did not live up to that. While graduate training is... More

8. "Generally Low Morale All Around"

Current Employee - Level II Teacher
    Current Employee - Level II Teacher

I have been working at The New England Center for Children full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time.
    Kids.
    Pool, gym, new building with leisure center and music room

Cons

Supervisors and those with the credentials hardly work with the kids which seems backwards while those of us with no degree credentials work with the kids.

Too focused on edible reinforcement and then they try to understand why the kids are overweight.

Schedules are pretty atrocious depending on the team.

Only see executives when there is an "investigation" into some event that probably happened weeks ago. Very slow for things to happen here.

Lots of inefficient systems - whether that's getting things done on the team or following through on planned ideas or projects.

Advice to Management

Gotta find a way to spruce up the schedules. Possibly reinvent your role priorities. Have the coordinators and specialist work more hours with the kids and have the teachers without the ABA degree start training on some of the more mudane paperwork or presentation creation tasks.

9. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Level Two Teacher in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Level Two Teacher in Southborough, MA

I worked at The New England Center for Children full-time (More than a year)

Pros

5 week vacation
    Good Benefits
    Great Staff
    Very invested in Trainings and Safety

Cons

Hectic and a little bit disorganized

Sep 22, 2017 – President and Cheif Executive Officer

Thank you for your feedback about where we can improve. When I started NECC more than 40 years ago, we were just three staff with six students. Today, we have more than 1,200 staff and hundreds of... More

10. "Good Benefits, Low salary,"

Pros

Great Vacation time
    Great co-workers
    Making a difference

Cons

Low Salary
    Lack of incentive annual bonus
    Executives who don't care about their employees

Advice to Management

Increase salary. Salary makes it hard to make ends meet. Give more resources and show us executives and management cares.