The New York Foundling Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 5, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Being able to help those who are in need (in 2 reviews)

• Good benefits (Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Days, Health Insurance, Union, etc) Good company values (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management is horrible and hr sides with them no matter if there is proof or not (in 6 reviews)

• Lack of support from management to employees (in 3 reviews)

"Child Care Worker"

Current Employee - Child Care Worker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Child Care Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at The New York Foundling part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The children are what keep me coming back. Very flexible and some nice coworkers.I love that I'm able to help a child that maybe broken put the peices back together.

Cons

The children are what make me come back all the time, but I have worked there 6 years and it was and still is horrible experience. but I need a job, u are only promoted if you know somebody that know somebody, not on seniority or work ethic, many people only give u hours if they prefer you to be around them. People are investigated and nothing comes of it because they didn't see it on the one camera they have in nursery and you are fired at will, and u don't get a raise if u are a perdiem so u stay at that rate, meanwhile CEO making a half a million dollars, yet most of us have to find second jobs in order to care for our families, There is a lot of unfair things that happen and that are taken from like breaks and hours and u have to smile and bear it. Something is very wrong.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that people who work within the company should not have family in H.R.when u have a complaint, nothing is really solved, also give your employees a more of a thank you, great job, we appreciate u, one way to make that happen is to stop giving yourselves bonuses every time u fire someone and these little company parties that most of the workers don't want to and don't attend, waste of money that can go back to saying this may not happen every year but thank you this year for your hard work, employees don't have a high morale because they don't feel respected or thanked for a job well done and we work hard everyday.

"Caseworker"

Former Employee - Caseworker in Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Caseworker in Staten Island, NY

I worked at The New York Foundling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Of the better paying social welfare agencies, and I was lucky to have some great team members.

Cons

Too big for their britches! Could stand to focus on existing programs rather than new initiatives that are not fully thought out.

Advice to Management

Slow things down and really communicate with frontline workers. New initiatives are a great way to increase funding streams, but when they consistently fail/close, its time to look inward for the issue.

3. ""All That Glitters Isn't Gold""

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The New York Foundling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission is relevant. (Unfortunately management justifies their self-serving practices with the mission)

Cons

Senior Leadership (VP and up) work every day to protect their jobs and salaries. The Human Resources department lacks actual talent and powerless against DD and EBP departments. Turnover is the highest among similar child welfare nonprofits. The leadership lie to their funders with false data. Salaries are kept low for most of the organization to pay for Senior Leadership's salaries. The CPO and COO are powerless and being forced out. Layoffs and closing programs are not discussed with staff to hide bad business decisions.

Advice to Management

Accept that your company is a "burning platform". Look it up!

5. "Director of Finnce"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The New York Foundling (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was a long term employee .The organization been going thru many changes in the last three years .

Cons

Budget cuts ,low employee moral.

"Therapist"

Current Employee - Therapist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Therapist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The New York Foundling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trainings. They try to train and keep people who are burned out or not doing well in their current positions

Cons

Like any other non profit - it is run like a corporate enterprise. Meaning that upper management focuses on numbers to the point that they are so out of touch with actual issues that they are trying to address that they often can't keep new direct workers longer than 8 months. That and the CEO makes half a million dollars annually per year while an entry level therapist with a masters' degree starts at $45,000 with no increase for duration of employment or earning a license. Only people who are promoted are given raises. This may seem decent in comparison with other agencies, but it's pretty deplorable given that they can more than afford to pay better wages for some of hardest jobs in social services in some of the worst and dangerous neighborhoods in NYC. The CEO does not need to make that much money.

Advice to Management

List to your employees when they say they are exhausted and burning out. Adjust your expectations so that they are more realistic otherwise you will continue to have extremely high turnover.

7. "Case Aide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at The New York Foundling (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, good people. Very relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Not stable. I was laid off after 4 months due to "cut backs" I had left another job for this one. No I have no job

Advice to Management

I have no advice

8. "Former employee"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Staten Island, NY

I worked at The New York Foundling (Less than a year)

Pros

Have nothing good to say

Cons

Not honest, poor work conditions

Advice to Management

BE HONEST about the RESIDENTS they are dangerous

9. "Case Planner"

Former Employee - Social Work in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Social Work in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at The New York Foundling (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employer is good at giving increases based on cost of living.

Cons

Employer has high demands and often do not empathize with staff.

Advice to Management

Should be supportive and empathize with staff

10. "Don't do it to yourself"

Former Employee - Senior Therapist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Therapist in New York, NY

I worked at The New York Foundling (More than a year)

Pros

Raises given yearly, 4 week of vacation, 12 days of sick, work phone and laptop issued to worker.

Cons

The upper management is horrible and hr sides with them no matter if there is proof or not. Management is allowed to document you for months without notice and submit it to hr in a write up without even talking to you about the issues before hand.

Advice to Management

Training people in how to manage instead of simply appointing people to full a vacancy. the management is the cause of your high turn over rates.

11. "its ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The New York Foundling (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to help those who are in need.

Cons

The pay doesn't match the workload. management is unorganized and rude. Co workers barely work and gossip about people.