The News Tribune Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
David Zeeck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A workplace that turned around"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Consultant in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Consultant in Tacoma, WA

I worked at The News Tribune full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes change is painful and comes slowly. What matters most is the commitment of senior management to implement change and to see it through. That is what I've seen from this team in the 8 months. If that weren't the case I wouldn't be a customer today.

The News Tribune is a talented team of people that are working hard to change with the times. They have taken the feedback of both previous and current employees to heart. There is a new Vice President in town that clearly balances the needs of the company with the needs of the client. The TNT, and parent company McClatchy, has a clear path forward and the team is working hard to make that a reality.

The product they sell is world class, which is why I came back as a customer. There have certainly been bumps along the way in what is almost like a startup environment shifting from the old days of newspaper to the new digital landscape. However bumps along the way develops expertise through trial and error. This is a great place to learn, grow, and contribute fresh ideas to an industry in need of that.

This review follows a much different tone than a previous review I left. To me, that is proof of hard work and the desire to come out on the top.

Cons

You will work hard. In the end you have contributed to something greater than just a job. Is that really a con?

Advice to Management

Keep up the change. Keep doing what you have done for the past 8 months. I'm sorry our partnership didn't last longer but you're definitely on the right path.

Don't forget "design thinking". Create the products, programs, and processes your customers are telling you they want. Not what you think they want. If you keep doing that (which it seems you are) you will win in the end!

The last piece of advice is related to commission. I'm making a bit of an assumption as I'm gone, but get more creative and aggressive. Pay far more upfront to close, and pay residual for retained customers. That model will do you and customers a big favor.

2. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Advertising in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Advertising in Tacoma, WA

I worked at The News Tribune full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Workload can be overwhelming, needs to invest in infrastructure better

"Supported by local leadership and the corporate office. Invested in your success and the community!"

Current Employee - Community Relations Coordinator
    Current Employee - Community Relations Coordinator

I have been working at The News Tribune full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's clear to see how much our local management team cares about us. They always make themselves available when you need help with anything, large or small. Time is allocated every week for a one on one with your manager to review your current sales opportunities. If you're struggling, they will find ways to help you, whether you're feeling discouraged or if you're getting objections from the customer. Their help always feels sincere and their guidance is always constructive. Each manager on the team is level headed and down to earth with great ideas to share. I know I can always reach out to them and they have my trust. This is something I will never take for granted! My manager knows that I appreciate working independently, plugging away at my to-do list each day, so she adapts her management style to suit me. That's something I appreciate a lot.

The company offers fun incentives throughout the year that add to the already generous commission offerings. New training sessions take place often as the company rolls out new digital products and solutions. I am confident about what we offer the businesses in our community with our digital tactics. "The newspaper is dying" is a platitude I often hear, and while our circulation numbers are shifting, I'm very excited about the opportunity online for our news content and for our customers to grow their business. The investment is this change of pace from the corporate office is clear. I have no doubt that we will continue to be relevant and deliver for our readers and our customers for years to come.

The News Tribune is a legacy brand in our community that is well-known. Being part of this brand gets your calls returned and a seat at the table which is huge in a sales environment.

Cons

Onboarding processes vary from employee to employee, so depending on when they joined the team, some coworkers have received more training than others. I feel fortunate to have received a very thorough onboarding along with another employee who came on at the same time as myself. I truly believe that this set us up for great success and that this is why I'm so content here now. I was able to dive into my role with enough confidence to be able to have the trust of the potential customers I was in front of. I know other employees haven't had the same experience, which may reflect in their numbers at the end of the day. I know that a streamlined process is being developed to solve this issue. If you are considering joining our team, be assertive about receiving your product training.

You do have to earn 90% of your goal at the end of the period in order to start earning commission on what you sell.

Advice to Management

Please ensure the legacy sales reps receive sufficient digital product training. They should be as well-versed in our digital tactics as the younger reps are.

4. "Run, Run, Run Far Away"

I worked at The News Tribune full-time

Pros

Great co-workers but they have been bullied into silence, afraid to lose their jobs.

Cons

VP is a bully. Favoritism is rampant. HR does not have a clue. The company was too late with re-inventing the advertising department. Same products as any competitor. Poor morale. Poor compensation. Print on a steep decline.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to manager's and employee's opinions

5. "Chaotic and lost"

I have been working at The News Tribune full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and has value to the community.

Cons

No direction on the sales strategy. Relying on products and strategies that are employed by 100's of other digital marketing companies. Therefore there is no unique selling proposition. Still holding onto the legacy of being a newspaper and using the same sales processes. No accountability and held hostage by reps that have been there for 10+ years.

6. "Dont apply"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at The News Tribune full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always hiring new sales employees

Cons

Constant turn over and restructure

Advice to Management

none

7. "Run the other way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at The News Tribune (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, good middle management.

Cons

Upper management is horrible. Salary not enough to live on. Freeze on all raises. Constant reduction of support staff so everyone else has to take on more work and responsibility for no more pay. Constant and ongoing changes from corporate keeps everyone stressed.

Advice to Management

More support and less criticism.

8. "Multi Media Accounts Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at The News Tribune full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and the company is trying to improve.

Cons

Lack of opportunity to move up, static pay, no 401K match, upper management wants $100,000 level work for less than half of the pay.

Advice to Management

Try to innovate rather than follow just behind the curve in the advertising services available and focus on content of the paper. With great content, the audience comes back

"advertising"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at The News Tribune (More than 10 years)

Pros

enjoyed the people that I worked with.

Cons

worked you to death after laying off most of the staff.

"Ad Trafficker"

Current Employee - Ad Trafficker in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Ad Trafficker in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at The News Tribune full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company along with great bosses, great co workers, good job overall. Lots of team growing events and perks. Defiantly recommend

Cons

There are no bonuses for this position so you base pay is what you will make. Constant misunderstandings between sales reps, management and orders, must verify run dates etc.