The North West Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The North West Company President and Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Kennedy
Edward S. Kennedy

Pros
  • See Northern Canada, housing and utilities are taken care off, food allowance and great bonuses (in 5 reviews)

• Getting to see different parts of Canada (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, staffing is often an issue with a very transient population, very little to no training you must be a self-starter and learner (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management no longer in touch with head office employes (ivory tower) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Pros

Great company and people! Long history and growth.

Cons

Corporate office needs to work on remote management.

2. "Unique & Niche"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pre-2007 acquisition staff at Cost U Less, Alaska Commercial Stores & Corporate staff are wonderful to work with and have rich knowledge and work value ethic.

Cons

No promotions, unless you can get in with the Boys Club, regardless of experience or knowledge. When staff leave, a temp is hired, then the temp 'trains' the new FT worker. Historical knowledge of process & data integrity has been completely lost. Cramped office.

Advice to Management

Communication with all Corporate offices, not just head office. Ask the other offices (all level's of staff) for input on needs or ideas, not only the VP's who know nothing of the workload or workspace. Create consistency in training, structure & policy between departments.

"A great first job"

I worked at The North West Company full-time

Pros

Lots of experience in all aspects of procurement, very hands on, lots of responsibility for entry-level positions

Cons

Lack of amenities and benefits, lower end pay, more traditional company i.e. no attempts at innovation, hard to share ideas about improvement, etc.

Advice to Management

Make the office a more fine environment to be in, have a more positive outlet for ideas and issues, better pay and better benefits.

"Status quo is a desireable outcome here, thinking is old fashioned, stale, depressing."

Former Employee - Category Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Category Assistant Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The North West Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy to get a job here

Cons

low diversity, very low tech, old software, old fashioned business practices, department heads don't value suggestions or new ideas, gross office, department heads only value employees who are exactly like themselves.

Advice to Management

It's not 1995, stop operating like it is, and no one respects your haughty attitudes.

"Pretty good company but some of the best people I've met."

I have been working at The North West Company full-time

Pros

People from all over the world work here so there's a lot of diversity. So much to learn.

Cons

Training is difficult because there aren't any instruction manuals, everything is learn as you go.

"My first time and the best of me."

Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Mantnaince in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had worked for a Work study program and a Puerto Rican dare care center and I liked working with kid's.

Cons

I am a clean person like to see everything as clean as possible like to be on time and finish my job on time

Advice to Management

I always ask if I don't understand something I also have other experience that will be use for the growth of the Company

"Good Company to Start Your Career and Get Experience"

Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Category Manager Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is very easy to get in the door into the lower positions and possible to build up good experience and knowledge of all aspects of the retail grocery industry. Unfortunately they only hire from outside for the better paid positions and it is not possible to move up within the company.

Cons

Work is done very inefficiently leading to mountains of busy work that gets passed down the food chain. Huge discrepancies in pay between the workers and the management. No vision or planning from the top and priorities and strategies are constantly shifting. Turn over is very high and there is no institutional memory to draw from: you can count on one hand the number of employees (workers and management) that have been there longer than two years.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology and employees to grow the business rather than giving exorbitant performance bonuses to management. Don't over-value in-store retail experience when looking at applicants.

"Painfully low morale, No respect or compensation for excellence."

Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - International Division in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Lots of openings, so if you are proactive you may be able to move up.

Cons

Serious trouble with treatment of employees leading to low morale. All about squeezing every last cent out of their customer.

Advice to Management

Stop burying your heads in the sand about the issues. Acknowledge them and work towards fixing them.

10. "Rich history and full of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at The North West Company full-time

Pros

A company that dates back over 300 years to the fur trade in Canada. The company is vital to the communities it serves and in many cases is one of a few (or only) retail locations in the community. International presence outside of Canada.

Lots of opportunity for growth for store employees especially if open to moves between communities. I have personally seen people grow within the company, not necessarily only in a straight line for their profession but also being given a chance to learn new departments.

Culture is great and my coworkers in the Winnipeg head office are amazing.

Many jobs have opportunity to travel and see things that you would never see in another company.

Cons

Stores are in remote locations, sometimes not having all of the luxuries of communities in the south. Attracting people to work in these locations and the offices in Winnipeg, Anchorage and Bellevue can be very difficult.

Our business leads to being challenged to be very creative to find solutions that are different than any other company in Canada because our challenges are different. The norm is not the norm here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I like that the company is focused on its goals and stays true to the business model.

11. "Overall"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Stanley Mission, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Stanley Mission, SK (Canada)

I have been working at The North West Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learning new and exciting things everyday

Cons

Quite the distance from major centres, but overall it is a great place

Advice to Management

Be prepared for working lots, but in the end it is worth it.