The Ohio State University Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Ohio State University Interim President Joseph A. Alutto
Joseph A. Alutto

Pros
Cons
  • Low Pay, most student jobs will pay minimum wage (in 67 reviews)

• As a graduate research assistant, finding the right work/life balance is always tricky (in 13 reviews)

1. "Graduate Teaching & Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits and perks (RPAC, COTA, etc.) forG RAs and GTAs, although you do technically pay for them through your student fees.

Cons

Work-life balance is hard to maintain. Pay is laughable.

Advice to Management

Compensate GTAs for their work and propose a fair market value. Don't make comparisons between departments on campus. Instead, pay GTAs and GRAs what they would be making using their skills off-campus.

2. "Patient Revenue Cycle Scheduling Representative"

Current Employee - Patient Phone Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Patient Phone Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Flexibility with schedule.

Cons

Low pay.No room for advancement in scheduling. The benefits become more expensive over the years. OPERS takes a significant amount of your pay, which is fine if you're just beginning your career. Non state positions are better for a person in their mid 40's or older if you've already been under an employer who deducts social security. People with a college are treated with more respect and have room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for scheduling representatives. Especially representative who have several years of experience.

"Tired of Ohio State."

Former Employee - Administrative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University full-time

Pros

Coworkers have been great. If you plan on staying for a long time moving up is possible. If you go to school at OSU while employed full-time they will pay for your school. They pay half of OSU tuition for kids of employees. This benefit is good, but unfortunately it factors into your benefits package and is part of OSU's justification for paying lower salaries even though most employees never use it.

Cons

Ohio State does anything and everything to extract money from people. As a student they charge you outrageous tuition and fees. Immediately after graduating they contact you to donate money to the school and as an alumni they never stop hounding you for donations.

As an employee, you are required to pay for parking. These are OSU lots, they are not competing with anyone else for these parking spots yet OSU puts its' cost onto the employees. OSU pays less than competitors and says it's because of the "great benefit package". The benefits are good surely, but do your homework, ask around to people you know at other big companies and you may find that OSU's benefits aren't actually that much better than other big companies.

OSU boasts a 14% matching contribution to your retirement account. This can be a great benefit that can offset the lower salaries but be careful. You will default into one of the OPERs retirement plans and in these plans about 33% of that 14% is wiped out by mandatory fees. In the traditional pension plan you have to be at OSU for 5 years before you are 33% vested in your account and for 10 years to be 67% vested, but the remaining 33% is always wiped out for fees. The Alternate Retirement Plan is the best way to keep this great benefit they boast about. The 14% contribution becomes around 13% in this plan and you are completely vested after just 1 year. This way if you get fed up like me you can keep the money that they try very hard not to give you.

There are two job classifications at OSU, CCS and A&P. CCS employees are essentially second class employees. They have outdated job titles straight from the 1950's. They have stricter policies that can lead to disciplinary action. They get less vacation time. They need to put in many more years of service at OSU than A&P people to get bumped up to more vacation time levels.

Red tape abounds at OSU. Change is rare and anything that gets accomplished takes a very long time to do it. A key example of red tape is when I found myself not very busy with my job. I found a simple way I could help my team and take some of their work load. I presented it to my boss. Their response was that I couldn't because it wasn't in my job description. I had never encountered a situation where I asked a boss for more work and they said anything other than, "sure, thank you for the help."

5. "Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits both health and additional benefits, free tuition for employees, severance package for low-level employees, easy to get a job if you know someone

Cons

Low pay, bad attitude towards staff, excessive "politics", toxic environment (dependent on department/unit), excessive time taken for the slightest decisions, definitely got a sexist/female-supremecy vibe from many female co-workers and superiors, constantly felt unappreciated.

Advice to Management

There are some people in upper management and HR that need to go. Climbing the "corporate ladder" almost solely relies on who you know, which does condone proper career growth. Have accurate job descriptions. Please continue to move towards centralization.

6. "Office Assistant"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to meet people and get good customer service skills

Cons

Your whole sleep schedule gets messed up

7. "Program manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's fun to be in an academic environment

Cons

The political culture at OSU is absolutely counterproductive to any form of productivity.

Advice to Management

Find the root cause and deal with it!!! Get rid of all nepotism related employees.and pay your people living wages!!!!

8. "Rampant Nepotism"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Facilities are modern (but falling apart because of maintenance budget cuts)

Cons

- Abusive actions by staff and faculty towards their graduate advisees (have experienced or heard of everything from sexual misconduct, yelling at students all the way to firing without cause)
    - Abusive administrators that make sure their kids enrolled at Ohio State are taken care of first
    - Abusive family of administrators that show up at the workplace to demand that their needs are put at the fore before everyone else
    - No one knows answers - it's disturbing to call the same department on the same day and receive 2 different answers to the same question
    - This place is huge and it feels overwhelming, and I am currently looking to be employed elsewhere

Advice to Management

- Stand up to nepotism and bullies for your student workers!

9. "Went to OSU, worked in research and etc."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to go, but frankly I was not able to take advantage of the things

Cons

Bullied nonstop by graduate students while trying to do research. A lot of childish behavior. I might have gotten unlucky and thrown into a bad lab, as others didn't seem to have problems. However the professor of the lab and the associated graduate students at the time were reckless, careless and didn't really seem to want to be there. Kind of a joke.

10. "Not what it used to be."

Former Employee - Public Safety in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Public Safety in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Medical Insurance. Vacation and ill time off. Available careers. Available shifts.

Cons

Pay extremely low. Way too many highly paid administrators. Many documented cases of harassment. Poorly chosen managers and supervisors. Overall elitist attitude by employer.

Advice to Management

Trust and rely on employees abilities and experience. Put a halt to the incredible micromanagement. Don't just talk about merit-based pay. Do it.

11. "Working for Education, Inc."

Current Employee - Lecturer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good technology and academic resources

Cons

Instructors are hired as independent contractors each semester so no job stability, health benefits, etc.
    All University services are increasingly privatized and therefore everything is becoming more expensive- for example prying costs have almost doubled since privatization.

Advice to Management

Public educational institutions should not be overwhelmingly profit-oriented. Offering stable employment to instructors will enhance their ability to refine courses over the long-term and raise educational outcomes.

Showing 57 of 1,295 reviews