The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Reviews in Columbus, OH | Glassdoor

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Columbus Reviews

Updated March 6, 2017

Columbus, OH

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Chief Executive Officer, OSU Wexner Medical Center Sheldon M. Retchin, MD, MSPH
Sheldon M. Retchin, MD, MSPH

Pros
Cons
  • As an employee, you are required to pay for parking (in 8 reviews)

• Employees should not have to pay such high parking fees or high health premiums (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH

Pros

Available resources and chances for collaborations. Facilities are nice and many new too. Seminars available for each building and department.

Cons

Unless you walk or bike or commute by bus parking very difficult. With privatised parking now if you don't have a parking pass don't pay per day.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Disgruntled but not angry yet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Passionate employees and diligent staff. Especially the nurses many of whom go above and beyond. The new hospital is a great building to work in.

Cons

Parking is terrible. I can over state this, it is terrible. Health care benefits have been dropping fast over the last few years.

3. "Certified Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, peaceful and friendly working environment, the people

Cons

Salary is not a strong motivation.

Advice to Management

Build a strong team while focusing on improving salary of employees. Not to discriminate racially with regards to salary.

5. "Management Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Management Engineering in Columbus, OH
    Current Intern - Management Engineering in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture. Full support from the management and great team to work with.

Cons

Challenging to get the physician team to agree with improvements idea

6. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Patient Care Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Patient Care Associate in Columbus, OH

Pros

Coworkers and management for the most part very friendly. They try to make work a home away from home, which I enjoy and appreciate.

Cons

Scheduling and time off largely based on seniority, which can be frustrating if senior coworkers are not willing to compromise.

Advice to Management

I wish there was an anonymous way to voice our opinions/concerns to management.

7. "OSU employee"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Pension and time off as well as medical, vision, dental, etc.

Cons

They don't do much promoting from within.

8. "Fed-Up with OSU"

Current Employee - Administrative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative in Columbus, OH

Pros

(Same review as I left for Ohio State University. The Med Center is a separate entity but the pros and cons I list are things both entities have in common.) Coworkers have been great. If you plan on staying for a long time moving up is possible. If you go to school at OSU while employed full-time they will pay for your school. They pay half of OSU tuition for kids of employees. This benefit is good, but unfortunately it factors into your benefits package and is part of OSU's justification for paying lower salaries even though most employees never use it.

Cons

(Same review as I left for Ohio State University. The Med Center is a separate entity but the pros and cons I list are things both entities have in common.) Ohio State does anything and everything to extract money from people. As a student they charge you outrageous tuition and fees. Immediately after graduating they contact you to donate money to the school and as an alumni they never stop hounding you for donations.

As an employee, you are required to pay for parking. These are OSU lots, they are not competing with anyone else for these parking spots yet OSU puts its' cost onto the employees. OSU pays less than competitors and says it's because of the "great benefit package". The benefits are good surely, but do your homework, ask around to people you know at other big companies and you may find that OSU's benefits aren't actually that much better than other big companies.

OSU boasts a 14% matching contribution to your retirement account. This can be a great benefit that can offset the lower salaries but be careful. You will default into one of the OPERs retirement plans and in these plans about 33% of that 14% is wiped out by mandatory fees. In the traditional pension plan you have to be at OSU for 5 years before you are 33% vested in your account and for 10 years to be 67% vested, but the remaining 33% is always wiped out for fees. The Alternate Retirement Plan is the best way to keep this great benefit they boast about. The 14% contribution becomes around 13% in this plan and you are completely vested after just 1 year. This way if you get fed up like me you can keep the money that they try very hard not to give you.

There are two job classifications at OSU, CCS and A&P. CCS employees are essentially second class employees. They have outdated job titles straight from the 1950's. They have stricter policies that can lead to disciplinary action. They get less vacation time. They need to put in many more years of service at OSU than A&P people to get bumped up to more vacation time levels.

Red tape abounds at OSU. Change is rare and anything that gets accomplished takes a very long time to do it. A key example of red tape is when I found myself not very busy with my job. I found a simple way I could help my team and take some of their work load. I presented it to my boss. Their response was that I couldn't because it wasn't in my job description. I had never encountered a situation where I asked a boss for more work and they said anything other than, "sure, thank you for the help."

9. "Fantastic Experience!"

Former Employee - Senior Process Improvement Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Process Improvement Engineer in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great and dedicated people
    -Great coworkers and a fun work environment!
    -Project work is in line with organizational strategy
    -Rewarding and great sense of professionalism.

Cons

-Parking ? Where is this not an issue at the university?
    -Other than that nothing else really comes to mind.

Advice to Management

-Continue to align key priorities and resources
    -Reward those who bring in results from project work and maintain the staff

"Staff rn"

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse RN in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Nurse RN in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good benefits, elevators work but slow.

Cons

Very poorly trained managers, nurse mandation, overpriced parking, union dues,
    mediocre physicians and hospital in general, never fully staffed.

Advice to Management

Start over

11. "Student Intern"

Former Employee - Student Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center part-time

Pros

Very flexible with Student Schedules.

Cons

Limited exposure to upper level management.