The OutCast Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Alex Constantinople

1. "SVP"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Work life balance
    Welcoming environment
    Smart people; exciting projects; incredible clients
    Always challenging and creative!
    Wonderful office culture

Cons

Fast-paced. Intense. Not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Not a great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great clients.
    General work culture.
    Free bar and snacks in the building.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid.
    Cliquey environment.
    Highly competitive internally - people fighting for promotions.
    No respect for AE or lower levels.
    No work/life balance - expected to work 12 hour days.
    No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Pay us more, and there will be less turnover. The work everyone does is so important and if you really want to keep a happy work environment, especially in SF and NY, you need to increase salaries/hourly wages. Companies should not just be all about management levels.

3. "Associate Program Could Be Better"

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great clients that look great on your resume
    -Depending on your client, you'll get to go to events and get exposure to the world of tech
    -Loved the partner spotlights

Cons

-Not much warning if not hired
    -Senior level staff isn't friendly
    -My coach was the worst and could care less if I did well
    -Long hours, many associates work up to 10-12 hours a day
    -Felt guilty for leaving before 6pm most days
    -Some accounts don't allow associates to show what they can actually do, only let them do the bare minimum
    -The island is great but should be intermixed with the rest of the office
    -High turn over, 6 people left in 3 months
    -Associates stress level was insane and just made it an uncomfortable place to work

Advice to Management

Work on learning what accounts the associates want to work on. Have more than 2 check-in's with the associates to understand how they are feeling.

5. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Energetic, fun, creative, smart people. Interesting clients. Challenging work, supportive environment.

Cons

The only downside is the same as with any PR agency. You have to know how to juggle multiple clients' needs.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive, fun environment going!

6. "Very face-paced. Good learning experience and company works with big name clients"

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with awesome companies. The company is very structured itself and get great experience in an associate role.

Cons

If not getting hired on, they do not give you a lot of forewarning. Definitely have long work hours, early mornings and late nights.

Advice to Management

Good management

"Account Supervisor"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for OutCast for 3.5 years. I have nothing good to say - this place is simply a horrible work environment. It was like high school all over again. The worst part is the people. They think they're better than everyone else (every other agency, everyone below them).
    Potentionally the only, small pro is the new office space, but even that doesn't make up for the miserable work environment, nonexistent work/life balance and nightmare of a CEO, Alex Constantinople. She's the worst.

Cons

I pride myself on being a talented, hungry, curious PR professional. I've worked at top rated firms prior to OC, on top tier clients. But working at OC made me dispose everything about this industry, my clients, myself and most of all, OutCast itself. I left in early 2015 and wish to god I had made that decision sooner.
    You will have absolutely no life outside of work so don't count on making plans, keeping friends, or doing anything except being expected to work 16 hours/day, including most weekends.
    Now that OutCast is behind me I can see with some clarity what a mistake working here was. Don't make the same mistake I did. DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Advice to Management

The absolute worst part about OutCadt is the leadership team; in particular CEO Alex Constantinople. This woman is a miserable human being who will throw anyone under the bus if it helps her agenda. She showers the most attractive people (I know.,,crazy) with praise while everyone else in the agency gets a cold, snotty shoulder.

"Top notch PR firm + Awesome People"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

OutCast was my first job out of college and I worked there for six and a half years. It was an awesome and exciting place to work and I was constantly in awe of how many smart, supportive and fun people there were at every level. It was infectious - there was always something interesting (or often many interesting) things to work on -- ranging from launches/projects with clients, new business rolling in, to projects within the agency.

Like most things in life, the experience was what you make of it. It was hard work with oftentimes a brutal volume and tricky deadlines but you'd be hard pressed to find another tech PR agency where you'd get exposure to such a high caliber range of clients. I loved having so many mentors -- you have a coach but within every team you work with other folks who help mentor you and push you along. It can be tough to have a lot of feedback on your work but it also pushes you, helps you learn and makes you sharper. The opportunities are all there - you just have to speak up, outline what you want to do and have people help you achieve it. The people are the best -- I made close friendships during my time there that I know I'll have for a long time. The size of the company made it great to get to know people outside of your teams, and it felt like a mini community.

Its an incredible place to work -- challenging but rewarding and you won't find a better group of people to work with.

Cons

It is a demanding -- with tier 1 clients comes tier 1 demands so managing your workload and maintaining balance was always hard for me, but I saw a lot of people manage it pretty effectively. It's something everyone has to work out for themselves, but there are people who make it work despite the demands.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employee happiness by maintaining a competitive salary and benefits, fun perks within the office, and activities for everyone to bond and have fun.

"There are Pro"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OutCast has some of the best company culture I've experienced. There are some people who bring others down but then you also make friends that help you get through the day to day B.S. Lot's of amazing people if you build relationships with the right ones. If it wasn't for the people, I would've hated working here. Lot's of happy hours (albeit because the work is so stressful) and opportunity to work with amazing clients. You can always ask for more work so there are opportunities to grow.

Cons

You will work EXTREMELY long hours here. Since the work environment in so fast paced, emails often go ignored especially if you are more entry level which is totally unfair and makes it seem as though your voice doesn't matter. I often had to resend emails 3-4 times with them STILL being ignored by upper management. Seems as though everyone looks out for themselves which can create a blaming process in front of team leads and clients via email which isn't healthy. You don't get to choose your clients so hopefully you'll be lucky enough to land a big name such as HBO, Facebook, Instagram or Airbnb etc. Because if you're going to have no work life balance you might as well do it for companies that will add something special to your resume. Office is primarily women, so it's always refreshing when males are hired. EVERY account wants your undivided attention which makes every workday stressful (You're usually on 3-4 accounts) Upper management (AAE's, AE's, SAE's AS's) stop throwing your work on associates at the end of the day and think about how you would feel if someone did this to you. People are fired here. Watch your back, always act eager, don't tell your business to too many people even your coaches may throw you under the bus, but obviously this is a case by case basis. It's majority great people but there are also those bad apples.

Advice to Management

Make the pay more competitive, because it's laughable income for anyone trying to live comfortable in the San Francisco Bay Area. Company perks don't even out the terrible pay!
    Offer TWO WAY reviews. Employees are reviewed by upper management but it does not go both ways. How is it 2015 and there is still no 360 review system. This encourages upper management to continue to humiliate and staff and does not make anything better. Seriously this has got to be the number one thing to change at OutCast a company that supposedly thrives on mentor-ship, coaching and transparency.

"Strong team, serious work, best people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've never seen so many smart, passionate, create and hard-working PR people in one place
    Great opportunities for growth
    Diverse work: from traditional media relations, to social and experience design
    The clients are trull innovative companies
    You never feel alone or stuck with a project - there is always somebody to support you, as they say at OC - one team one dream

Cons

Hard work: the teams are so strong that you'd want to work hard to keep up

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees
    Grow internal talent

"Wouldn't want to start my career anywhere else"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The OutCast Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A ton of chances to learn, grow and develop in your career.
    Get to work with a bunch of different clients that require many different aspects of PR.
    Constantly feel like a contributing member to your team.
    Work with amazing client.
    Lot of opportunity here.
    Awesome new office in downtown San Francisco.

Cons

Long hours and hard work. You've really got to be a self starter and motivated.

Advice to Management

Think that there are some negative people that bring others down.
    Would love more fun activities to balance the craziness of the job.