The Pancake Parlour Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "No."

I worked at The Pancake Parlour part-time

Pros

Talking to the customer!

Cons

- the training was not down well at all! i had 3 days to learn eveything like I have been working there for a year!
    - the peolpe were rude to me! Talked about me when I was walking around and see how the customer were going like um hey, I know you’re talkikg about me coz you’re looking at me and pointing
    - one of them rolled there eyes at me when I asked for bloody help!
    - the cooks don’t wear gloves makes me sick
    - the uniform is not nice looking
    - the hours are not done well like we need to get sleep too
    - I would not recommend to work there ever!

Advice to Management

- respect that the new people are just leaving and don’t expect them to know eveythijg by 3 shifts, give them a Month!
    - don’t be rude to them

2. "Want more hours? Fugeddaboudit."

I worked at The Pancake Parlour part-time

Pros

Willing to train new employees on all stations
    Feedback is given upon request and there is a daily printout that employees must sign which contains praise and general constructive criticism.
    Friendly co-workers make coming to work something to look forward to.

Cons

If you're new, forget about asking for more hours. You WILL be let go.
    Any attempt to correspond with management went unanswered.

Advice to Management

Answer your phone and any emails sent to you. A little more transparency would've gone a long way. A long way.

3. "Cook"

I have been working at The Pancake Parlour part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and locations, busy work

Cons

Low pay, poor management, high turnover of staff

4. "Waitress and drinks"

I worked at The Pancake Parlour part-time

Pros

Meet great people and working together was fun. I had eczema due to the constant washing hands and manager was really understanding to let me have days off to recover.

Cons

The managers at the time were slack with rostering

Advice to Management

No problem with management

5. "High turnover workplace"

Former Employee - Bar Staff in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Bar Staff in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at The Pancake Parlour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As always, the people were the best part! The pancakes team is huge so there are always heaps of friendly faces. There is the opportunity to move up and I was trained in other areas really quickly.
    I loved the fast paced atmosphere.

Cons

The hours were terrible, the pay was quite bad and every public holiday/important day you were expected to be fully available except xmas day. You never knew what time your shift would end so it was impossible to make plans.

Advice to Management

More focus needs to be on supporting the team members that help out covering extra shifts and looking after them when it's quieter. The nicer, more flexible staff members are often taken advantage of and feel like they can't say no to covering dawn shifts or staying later when they were promised an early finish. Keep your promises, it's pretty simple. If staff feel appreciated- they always perform better at work.

6. "Greedy management will do anything to turn a profit"

Current Employee - Waiter/Bartender in Ringwood, Victoria (Australia)
    Current Employee - Waiter/Bartender in Ringwood, Victoria (Australia)

I have been working at The Pancake Parlour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will hire almost anyone since staff turnover is so high. They do train you with skills that will be extremely helpful in the hospitality industry, but this mainly occurs as you work and not as any kind of rigorous training program. Pay is now under the 2010 Restaurant Industry Award, which includes the marginally higher weekend rates and the extravagant rates of holiday pay. Above all, the biggest positive of working here is the coworkers. It is these people which make this job worthwhile. Unfortunately due to the problems outlined in the cons section, these people are gradually disappearing to other jobs.

Cons

Management no longer cares for the well-being of their staff. Waiter's shifts are always a pitiable 3 hours in length and almost every weekend shift is understaffed. This leads to less-than-adequate customer service but management only cares about saving money by reducing the amount they must pay as wages. To top this off, since the introduction of the new award, the food benefits that used to guarantee staff a meal every shift now reside in bureaucratic limbo. There are no longer any decent benefits which could make working here rewarding.

Advice to Management

I've been working here for over a year now. I used to enjoy the workload, back before the introduction of the new award. In fact, I gave this workplace a five star rating on this website when I first started. Since then things have become gradually worse and so today I deleted that review. As we are almost always understaffed, there is no longer enough time in a shift to complete all the jobs that need to be done to keep a restaurant functioning, and so instead tasks will be regularly handed over to the next day. This in turn creates more work for the staff to do the following day. It ends up becoming a perpetual downward spiral which just cannot be good for business. What management needs to do is fix this issue. How can we be expected to give quality customer service if we aren't given the time to do so?

"Waitress"

Former Employee - Waitress in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Waitress in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Friendly people, chance for working way up career ladder

Cons

Management was always changing and as a result, what was expected was always changing

8. "Kitchen Hand"

Former Employee - Kitchen Hand
    Former Employee - Kitchen Hand

Pros

Great people, everyone want's to be a part of a team, those who don't generally leave quickly. Decent salary, for a part-time student it's great

Cons

Smell of pancake mix gets into your clothes and you begin to smell like vomit.
    Never sure how long your shift will last

Advice to Management

Give employees a general time of when their shift will end

9. "Overstaffed, dodgy management"

Former Employee - Waitress in Werribee, Victoria (Australia)
    Former Employee - Waitress in Werribee, Victoria (Australia)

Pros

Nice co-workers and average pay

Cons

No hours, poor management, lack of communication, poor training of staff, processes that are backwards for the industry, high staff overturn even for hospitality, overstaffed so management tried to annoy staff into leaving rather than have to pay redundancy.

10. "kitchen crew"

I worked at The Pancake Parlour full-time

Pros

very organized with the management in the kitchen,very clear structures for every single work methods

Cons

very low pay for a kitchen staff (especially if you're qualified), all or most salary packages are included super , for e.g. 45k ,eventually u would only get 40k for a cook position. Very limited things you could learn from their kitchen (I won't count that as a commercial kitchen environment) so don't expected that you can learn something from them first, or they would ask you back how to poach an egg at the end.

For casual position, they're just ok or not even, for permanent, nah don't bother to work there, they may ruin your experiences.