The Patient Education Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

The Patient Education Institute Reviews

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mohamad Ajam

1. "Overall work experience"

Former Employee - Programmer in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Coralville, IA

Pros

PEI is a smaller company but the people are very nice. If you need time off they are more than willing to work around your schedule. Management is very fair and is most of the time clear on what they want you to accomplish.

Cons

The company is too small. There are not very many employees. Other than that there are not too many cons.

Advice to Management

I do not have much advice for management. For the most part management runs the company smoothly and is for the most part is very fair and treats employees equally.

2. "A company not to take pride in"

Former Employee - Multimedia Developer in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Multimedia Developer in Coralville, IA

I worked at The Patient Education Institute (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work/life balance
    Flexible schedule
    Can work late

Cons

I worked at PEI for several years as a multi-media developer. The work environment is very dull. With that said most employees are hired through either family or through a friend of a friend and I will say they have an advantage over a regular hire. The office space which people use is not truly their space, there were a lot of people who would need to use my desk or I would need to use someone else's because of the way the place is set up. It is not like your typical office. The company lacks structure and it was VERY noticeable. During my time there (4 years) I saw 3 mass layoffs happen. Many people were let go without any warning and we were always threatened with the company going under and that our jobs were always at stake. Eventually it was my time along with others to get the boot and the way the CEO handled it was VERY unprofessional. I will never speak highly of this company due to the complete disrespect they show their employees. If you are not somehow connected to someone who works at PEI I advise you to stay away because you will not be treated equally and your job WILL be in jeopardy.

3. "Web Programmer"

Pros

flexible schedule, part time to be able to go to courses

Cons

It is mainly a medical company that requires programmers to make web services. I'd like to be in a company where I can learn more and improve and if possible, be able to manage projects someday.

4. "Multi-media Developer"

Pros

Flexible hours and work from home

Cons

lacks on sales, poor marketing, poor employee evaluation

Advice to Management

Hire a new marketing and sales team

5. "Better not laugh or talk, its pretty much against the rules"

I worked at The Patient Education Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was flexible with the schedule. Offered paid holidays and decent health insurance. The work you do helps people so you can take pride in that. A few pizza pizza parties and weekends off always. Some great co-workers and a good manager here and there, especially before restructures.

Cons

Laughing or making jokes is frowned upon a lot, unless its the head doing it. Rules are inconsistent and not applied to everyone. People can get targeted and singled out. You aren't allowed to have a bad or quiet day without having it reflect on performance evaluations and follow you around forever. Public humiliation, behind the back whispers, and straight up lies can make it really hard to deal. The direction of the company is managed poorly, as we were always hearing about how we were about to be a "sinking ship" not very reassuring. Pay is very low and hard fought, don't expect to be respected by some members of management unless you take time to flatter them and their family members. There is ALWAYS a lot of screaming and yelling, and it can be very stressful. But, you can only raise your voice if your in the select few. No 401K.

Advice to Management

Treat people better, be honest, hold everyone to same standard. Offer more benefits, value the loyal employees more.

6. "Work-life balance ok, everything else seems to be lacking."

I worked at The Patient Education Institute full-time

Pros

The group of people can be fun and diverse. The work schedule can be flexible, allowing for a decent work-life balance if you have an appointment, or children, or children with appointments. There is always work to be done, it never runs out.

Cons

Personal growth in this company is restricted by nepotism and cliques. If you are not part of "the group", you are an outsider, and will have a heck of a time trying to get on the inside - even if you are a top producer and hard worker for the company. Friendship with upper management seems to be rewarded as opposed to actual skill involved. The next problem is that standards are frequently changing as per the whim of who is in charge. While it is great to improve your standards as you progress, doing so with such a laissez-faire attitude and blocking those legitimately trying to progress in the company is very disappointing and difficult to deal with.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to go beyond friends, family, and gender while considering any employee-related aspects (promotions) of the business.

7. "Flexible schedules and unique work but high stress and unstable atmosphere"

Current Employee - Multimedia
    Current Employee - Multimedia

I have been working at The Patient Education Institute full-time

Pros

The company is willing to work with your schedule. There is a good work/life balance and nice location. the company sometimes will reimburse for classes. It can be a chance to learn/practice unique skill set.

Cons

Feels unstable. A lot of politics at play, management is can be very harsh. Upper management frequently changes it goals and can sometimes be very dishonest. Chances for promotion or raises seem to be based on cliques instead of merit. There also appears to be a lot of disappointing nepotism.

Advice to Management

Keep the message and requirements consistent. Watch out for favoritism. Improve HR.