The Pet Firm Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
CEO
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working independently on behalf of pet vendors was fun!"

Former Employee - Merchandising Territory Representative
    Former Employee - Merchandising Territory Representative

I worked at The Pet Firm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to schedule, complete store visits as long as they fell within broader planner timeline. Online FETCH reporting could be done anytime day or night; it was usually pretty easy to blend this job with the schedule of another part-time job
    Being able to build relationships with store mgrs/staff to talk about what's looked for, find out what's working, what isn't, try to help the stores as much as the vendors on whose behalf we're doing the work
    Great support up the line from day one
    Appreciation for time and effort put into monthly email recaps
    Loved many aspects of this job, not least my direct reports and working on behalf of pet vendors. It was fun work!

Cons

Retail merchandising is what it is, a different type of work and the "cons" aren't unique to TPF, but for this type of work generally. Pay isn't the greatest, it can be very part-time per month, depending on scope of tasks on the planner and number of stores. Increased traffic congestion meant having to allow more time for store visits, so couldn't schedule/complete as many visits as I'd have liked and longer days by the time reporting was done. As much as I enjoyed the work, my direct reports, those I met and worked with at the stores, it just didn't pencil out anymore. I don't blame The Pet Firm.

"Adminintrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Pet Firm (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, positive, and friendly people

Cons

Partime only. Pay was okay

"Company was great until switching hands to Acosta"

Pros

Get to work with others and Pets.

Cons

Company changed to Acosta who then laid off all employees

Advice to Management

Don't expect your employee's to pay out of pocket just to work for your company.

"Not Worth It"

I worked at The Pet Firm part-time

Pros

Online training, personal mentor, starts out with descent hours, pays on time. The pay is good in the beginning until they start cutting your hours.

Cons

After a couple of months, hours were drastically cut. Last minute notice about this. They take 30 miles off the top of your mileage you turn in.

Advice to Management

Stop misleading your employees of the hours they will be working.

5. "the pet firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

I worked at The Pet Firm (Less than a year)

Pros

independent wok working with animals

Cons

that they could have kept on the same route doing excellent on that route so do the employers. Standing on your feet for for straight hours.

Advice to Management

to work the top employees they could have just left me with that route or not take me off the demonstrator 2 different departments

6. "Sales Brand Ambassador"

Former Employee - Sales Brand Ambassador in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Brand Ambassador in Syracuse, NY

I worked at The Pet Firm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly enjoyed this weekend job and the four-hour shifts were a 'perfect match' for my weekend availability! I embraced the friendly interactions with 'pet parents' and their 'family members' -'aka' pets- of all kinds and was supremely knowledgeable of my product and its benefits. I went above and beyond to make dietary recommendations to improve overall health through use of our products. My sales were exceedingly high and received many positive reviews from customers as well as the store associates at the store locations where I worked.

Cons

My immediate boss was very 'trite', unfriendly and outwardly condescending toward me for no apparent reason. In addition, never complimentary or appreciative for my hard work and efforts. I found this to be unprofessional. Not once in the years of my work did she ever go out of her way to meet me and I never received a raise or a review.

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement builds morale and reinforces employee contentment and commitment to a company.

"Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Arlington, TX

I worked at The Pet Firm (More than a year)

Pros

There is no best reason. The work WAS fun, if they let you do your job. Enjoyed meeting store management and personnel and working on my own.

Cons

Hourly pay not bad to start, but never give raises. Company tried to redo there online reporting system and failed miserably, then another company bought them out.

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging. Reward good job performance and back your people.

"Not paying for demos performed"

Former Employee - Demonstrator in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Demonstrator in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

meet wonderful pet parents, that appreciate knowledge and experience.

Cons

long driving distances, not paying on time. The last two pay periods have not been paid properly. For a month of long driving and then not being paid is very disappointing. I have done demo work for 20 years, this was the first to not pay as promised.

Advice to Management

get payroll straight if you want to retain good experienced help. No one, works for free and drives hundreds of miles for free. Not independents or employees.

"Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Southaven, MS

I have been working at The Pet Firm part-time

Pros

TPF Management is quick to respond and resolve any issues while you are at the location. Love my merchandising position with TPF. (:

Cons

Not enough hours available for the month. Have to find other work outside of TPF to pay the monthly bills. This merchandising position is only part time. ):

Advice to Management

To make the merchandise positions available to advance to the full time merchandising position so merchandisers do not have to look for other work outside of TPF. I love working for TPF and would love to merchandise exclusively for TPF full time.

"Former employee"

Pros

Set territory is given so you can get a rapport with the store managers. Consistent work each month so salary is usually same from month to month

Cons

Managers are hard to get ahold of when you need assistance. Company does not give raises. Company does not appreciate hard working dedicated employees. Company tracks your every move by pinging off your cellular device that you are required to use with no compensation. Company does not pay overtime and requires you to submit pay in next time period if you do go over 80 hours in a two week time period. If you make an error you are required to go back to the store and fix error with no compensation.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Give raises. Pay overtime as required by us dept of labor and pay all work done.