The Phoenix Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Phil Gass

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

I have been working at The Phoenix Companies full-time

Pros

Very supportive environment. 165 year old company with the energy of a start-up.

Cons

Hours can be long, but not too often.

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President and Associate Actuary in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Phoenix Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Phoenix culture is one of a kind. I continuously feel like I am part of a team and add value to my department as well as the company. Working at Phoenix has also provided the opportunity to develop myself and further my career.

Cons

At points in time, there are too many cooks in the kitchen and it's difficult to move towards the final goal.

Advice to Management

This is already part of the culture shift, but limiting the bureaucracy would help move projects.

3. "Times they are a-changin"

Current Employee - Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Phoenix Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People. The teams here work well together and really want to do what is best for the company and the customer.

Cons

Lack of security. The feeling is that the ax hasn't stopped falling. Every day you wonder if it is your time. Also benefits are changing. Assuming not for the better.

Advice to Management

Bottom line is important, but don't forget the people.

4. "Positive changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Phoenix Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of my colleagues have worked at the company for a very long time and are extremely dedicated to the organization. At the same time, a number of new people have joined with the acquisition and are invested in revitalizing the brand and company for the future. We're all working very hard, but feels good when you know the company is headed in the right direction.

Cons

The entire insurance industry is going through a lot of change. Low interest rates and changing technology have displaced a lot of jobs in many companies. Phoenix is working through the same issues. Though we still may have a ways to go, I'm sure we'll emerge a stronger company.

Advice to Management

Keep honest communication flowing. If we all understand the challenges and our game plan, we can figure out how to best contribute to the solutions.

5. "Run from this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Phoenix Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The one pro would be that certain individuals are a joy to work with, but most are just as trapped as everyone else

Cons

No one knows how to work together. They talk about "culture changes" but can't communicate what they are and how they will be visualized. Old management talks about the new culture to say it's the most amazing ever, yet they continue to do the same thing in the old world. Smart people, young people and those with talent leave or are let go because their new thinking isn't inline with our poorly run and barely credible technology and operations teams

Advice to Management

If you're going to Flatten the Organization, then do it already. Instead bad managers, AVPs, 2VPs, EVPs, SVPs, VPs, anything with a VP under it's name, where some as little as 4 or 5 direct reports, is killing the company, the vision and the morale. Lay these people off, hire more to do the work instead of blowing the cash on contractors and consultants who are in it for themselves and create a standard where you pride yourselves on being fast to market instead of helicoptering in for a few minutes and then leave so that middle management can then do the opposite by sticking to old bureaucratic role driven positions that no one is ever removed from, be it through development opportunities for good workers and expulsion from the company due to bad ones. Hurry up and just sell the company to the Chinese like with F&G. Let people get on with their lives as you have zero loyalty to anyone but your VC and most managers are too blinded and institutionalized to realize what is happening. That's what happens when you work at a failing company your entire life; you think this is the right and only way to do things. Which is why you crashed and burn several times in the last 5 years and now you're sold. Don't act like it's a good thing. Every leader that was a part of the company's failure should have been walked out the door the day after the sale.

"Company falling quickly!"

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Albany, NY

I have been working at The Phoenix Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros! Once great company suffered from years of poor management.

Cons

Poor management throughout all levels

Advice to Management

Purchase of company by Nassau Reinsurance Group is to little to late for Phoenix Life

7. "Senior analyst"

Pros

culture is good, everyone is freindly

Cons

lots of changes go on

8. "Good people to work with"

Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist

I worked at The Phoenix Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in customer service and the operations arm of the company, I came to befriend many co-workers over my time there. The people you work with general care about you as a person.

Cons

Company was sold in 2016 and made a private company again with new owners looking to outsource various jobs to reduce cost

Advice to Management

In order to retain talent in operations there needs to be opportunities for growing within the company. one or two positions that are more lateral than upwards does not make for an attractive point to keep emerging talent

9. "PHL"

Former Employee - EVP in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - EVP in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Phoenix Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are none at this time.

Cons

The company is in a death spiral

10. "Used to be a good company - now, not"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Phoenix Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people work there and are trying to survive

Cons

B-- rated company is beyond repair. The new owners have no sense of the industry or the value of the company