The Pretty Kitty Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tricia Hetherington

1. "A great oppurtunity in the industry."

Former Employee - Esthetician in Henderson, NV

I worked at The Pretty Kitty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They took me with no experience and turned me into an expert waxer.

Cons

I have no complaints and I miss my old job.

Advice to Management

Please consider expanding to AZ.

2. "Love being a part of The Pretty Kitty family!"

Current Employee - Manager/Esthetician in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager/Esthetician in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at The Pretty Kitty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just over a year ago I made the decision to change jobs as I was working 2 jobs in 2 different industries and just not happy all around. I decided to make the switch to the beauty industry full time by taking the job offer from The Pretty Kitty and truly feel it was the best decision I have made career wise. I had the pleasure of being trained by our owner, Tricia, which was such a great experience. I have worked alongside of some great hard working women that have made the work environment fun and motivating. Tricia and Dane have been wonderful employers in my eyes. They have always been very understanding, caring, and generous. I do feel they care about all of the pretty kitty employees and want us to be successful and happy here. They always make themselves available to us when we need assistance with anything, have questions, or concerns. We definitely work hard here at The Pretty Kitty but the pay and having a strong and happy clientele is so rewarding. I really love what I do and being a part of The Pretty Kitty Family!

Cons

I really do not have any negative things to say about my experience working here.

3. "Tainted place"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Chino Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Chino Hills, CA

I worked at The Pretty Kitty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made great money back when I was working there until they changed the pay to 12% + Hourly a friend of mine that still works there told me. The tips weren't bad either.

The stores are very cute and clean, AC, Music.

Cons

They would definitely hold the pay over our head when I was there. It was very hard to ever find coverage when you got sick last minute or had an emergency because no one would ever want to cover and if you called out sick forget it you will get fired. So much drama with the estheticians it was ridiculous all the girls talk crap on each other. The owners love this drama and play favorites. Management sucks and have no idea how to properly manage since they are literally never around, no proper management training whatsoever. Owners do not even live in California. Dane is one of the owners and we used to all be afraid of him, he would make us feel so dumb.

I also heard from other previous employees that there are multiple lawsuits against them so that in itself tells you a lot about the company.

So many people have came and gone or have been fired for something ridiculous I'm glad I left.

No Benifits, Long hours

Advice to Management

Try treating everyone equal.

Jun 19, 2017 – CEO

Readers please take note that Glassdoor is a great platform for disgruntled employees that have been terminated to say negative things about the company. The above was written by a previous employee ... More

4. "Esthetician"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Pretty Kitty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of clients, so it's easy to build repeat requests for you. Good locations. Great cleanliness. Good overall reputation so it's easy to get new clients. Good waxing technique that's easy to apply and works on most people.

Cons

Tricia doesn't own all the PK salons. Her California/Nevada stores are much better than Texas/NJ stores. A hedge fund owns all the other salons and they only care about them making a profit. No room for advancement. Low pay of 20% commission. High turnover. No paid vacation time, PTO, or health insurance. Texas stores don't have the same company wax as the California stores, but still advertise that they do. Training is only 3 or 4 days. The wax technique works for most hair, but not everyone and you're not suppose to deviate from their specific technique to meet the clients needs.

Advice to Management

Offer more that just a paycheck to your employees so they feel appreciated. Reward high retention and request rates for employees. Keep inventory stocked so employees don't have to resort to using random cheap wax to get by until inventory arrives.

May 31, 2017 – CEO

I am requesting that the person writing this to please kindly consider removing this review as this page if only for the CA and Vegas Pretty Kitty stores. We run our company very differently and have ... More

"I have worked for this wonderful company for 5 years!"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at The Pretty Kitty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very well put together. The owners are involved when needed but do not micro-manage. The training provided is detailed and thorough. They want you to succeed here and their compensation reflect that. It is a positive, fun environment. I have been with this company for 5 years already and hope to continue for many more to come.

Cons

I have no complaints. Truly a wonderful work environment!

"Great Opportunity in the Beauty Industry"

Current Employee - Esthetician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Esthetician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Pretty Kitty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owners are involved and accessible without micromanaging. The training provided was the most thorough training that I had ever received. The locations are consistently busy so there is plenty of opportunity to make money.

Cons

I've had no cons with my employment here.

Advice to Management

My experience with management has always been positive and it seems that the owners and managers treat all the employees fairly and with respect.

"Excellent Place of Employment"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at The Pretty Kitty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pretty kitty is not only a successful company but knows how to successfully treat their employees. The environment of this business is exceptional. There is close communication with the owners, co-workers who gain relationship with each other and form friendships, clientele bonding with employees, proper management and lastly outstanding service! I couldn't have asked to be apart of a greater team!

Cons

No comment or experience on a con.

"I left because of moving to another state."

Former Employee - Esthetician in Henderson, NV

Pros

Great pay and all around awesome company to work for.

Cons

Online booking would helprobably as it gets extremely busy.

"The Awful Kitty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Pretty Kitty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, all black dress code, cute stores

Cons

long hours, low wages, inconsistent management, expected to work weekends & holidays, no sick time or paid vacations (not even paid national holidays), no health insurance or any other benefits, no proper lunch breaks or break rooms, no sense of camaraderie between co-workers, poor communication throughout the whole company, overall negative & drama-filled work environment

Advice to Management

"People who feel appreciated do more than expected"

"Ugh"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Pretty Kitty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers, free services, cute work space

Cons

no manager, poor manager skills

Jan 19, 2017 – CEO

Please note to the reader that this review was written for the stores in Texas that aren't owned by the original owners/creators of the brand.