The PrivateBank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Larry Richman

1. "Senior loan processor"

Current Employee - Senior LoanProcesso in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior LoanProcesso in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The PrivateBank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, company match 401k, decent pay

Cons

there is a gap between management and employees

""Stay Away From Internal Audit...""

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL

I worked at The PrivateBank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck and benefits.

Cons

By far, the worst career decision I have ever made. Very dysfunctional and unethical culture. The managers consisted of the most incompetent, inept, and ignorant group of child robots I have ever worked with. Instead of building a respectable internal audit program; the managers are too busy gossiping, social networking, and playing Candy Crush. Along with their lack of intellectual capacity, there is a lack of maturity, integrity, honesty, transparency, accountability, and structure. Unfortunately, I had a very similar experience as another reviewer on this site. Not only did I refuse to partake in an unethical act against a fellow colleague, but I called them out on it. For doing the right thing, I was rewarded with harassment and ostracism. Which included backdated performance evaluations filled with lies. HR was not much better because they allowed this unacceptable behavior.

Advice to Management

I am a huge proponent of education and training, unfortunately, you can’t fix character flaws and stupidity.

"Finance"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at The PrivateBank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hired quickly. Short time from call to offer, and offer to start. Gave a positive outlook at interview of position.

Cons

Found out company sold after I got there. Basically this is a temp job.
    Old tech. Very old tech. Before my time tech.
    Difficult orientation to systems. Unreliable systems.
    No resources being used to update tech.
    Uncertain outlook.

"Stay away from the Credit Risk area..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

You get a paycheck and benefits

Cons

Working for this place was the worst career decision I ever made. If you are not a part of the good old boys club you don't stand a chance when speaking out against things you see are wrong. Middle management is incompetent as it relates to developing their employees. Instead of learning where disconnects are with employees they rely on individuals that are incapable of leading anyone due to their own personality or character flaws. If they determine that they don't like you they will do any and everything including lie to get you out of there. Unfortunately human resources is a joke because they don't look into any issues or grievances brought to them. Management will literally make false accusations and when asked simple questions to support their accusations they can't give any proof yet HR will still side with the managers. The diversity in this area is almost non existent but they will act as if it is. Gossip runs rampant in this place and it almost seems that if you separate yourself from it you will become an target too. I literally was told that I seemed too cocky because I didn't involve myself (This was pertaining to the gossip). Morale is very low among individuals in this group as management is given complete autonomy to treat their employees like crap.
    I knew something was wrong as soon as I started because there were red flags from the very first day and because of this I continued interviewing and applying to other companies. Luckily I was able to leave this terrible place in a short amount of time as I received offers elsewhere.

Advice to Management

I think my advice would be more so to HR. I would advise to weed out allowing employees to hire only their friends. This creates so much difficulty because when you belong to a group you are allowed to do whatever you want to which includes mistreating employees. Because this is a smaller middle market bank HR literally has chummy chummy relationships with people in the bank when in fact this shouldn't be. All employees should feel comfortable coming to HR about issues without fear of retaliation. Unfortunately this isn't the case as HR tends to side with their buddies even after an employee may have entered the concern or grievance first.

5. "Great place to work with a great future"

Current Employee - Risk Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Risk Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The PrivateBank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PVTB runs rather lean but there are a lot of opportunities... Since it is fairly small, you can have some immediate impact.

Cons

Limited acceptance of telecommute across the organization. The technology is there but the trust may not be.

Advice to Management

Don't forget where you came from.

6. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

great culture, great work-life balance

Cons

None at this point in time

7. "Sr. Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The PrivateBank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a solid roadmap for the future.

Cons

No cons I can think of at the moment.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Managing Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Managing Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good pay & benefits, career growth

Cons

Politics
    Big brother monitors everything you do

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

"Management is terrible. they know nothing about managing people and they have way too much time on their hands."

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Chicago, IL

I worked at The PrivateBank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent. They start you out with 12 days of vacation.

Cons

Management is lazy, incompetent, and control-freaks. You are penalized for using the sick days that they provide as a benefit.

Advice to Management

Restructuring management is a must. People who are set in their ways with over-inflated salaries must retire or get with the times. Again, management has way too much time on their hands. Delegate the responsibilities to the employees like every other company. You can't control everything and you should be fired if you continue to micro-manage and be a control freak.

Regional managers should have more to do than make monthly schedules for every branch in their region and schedule vacations for every branch. Those are both, branch responsibilities. Retire, and let someone else move in who knows what management responsibilities entail.

Also, convert to PTO (paid time off).

10. "Not a terrible place to work."

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The PrivateBank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, excellent benefits, great co-workers.

Cons

Not compensated well and treated poorly unless you work on the line of business.

Advice to Management

Allow more people not on the line to advance in the company and treat them with respect.