The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Part Time LSA1"

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time

Pros

-Great people
    -Flexible Schedule
    -Help community
    -Never boring
    -Always busy

Cons

-Having to work weekends
    -Patience is needed when helping people
    -Attracts people who like 'quiet' when this job is not that

Advice to Management

Close on days the city is closed.

2. "Library Services Assistant"

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time

Pros

Co-workers and manager were wonderful people to work with, very supportive and listened to input and recommendations

Cons

Upper management does not understand the daily pressures and struggles the everyday library worker faces such as mentally ill patrons, the homeless issue and drug addicts that use the library.

Advice to Management

Prioritize training away from customer service, we are already great at that. Help us better serve the above mentioned groups we help on a daily basis

3. "LSA position"

Former Employee - Lsa in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Lsa in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent place to work as an LSA

Cons

Not a lot of training

5. "Library Services Assistant"

Current Employee - Library Services Assistant
    Current Employee - Library Services Assistant

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my fellow employees. Mostly everyone pulls their weight and the work is distributed evenly. Most patrons are friendly and kind. The pay is decent and the hours are also good for a part-time position.

Cons

I work at a newly renovated branch. We went from a traditional desk to roving with Surface tablets. The way the branch was organized is not beneficial to employees. There are many areas we cannot see that we used to be able to see (computers in children's area are now behind a solid wall) and the teen area with the video games and computers is not visible from the main floor of the library. The makerspace room has a lot of cool technology in it but none of us know how to use nor were trained on it in any way. If patrons need help using some of it, many of us are unable to help them. The branch is very sterile looking now.

Advice to Management

Before redoing branches, ask the employees who work there to give some input on how they would like it be organized. They know their patrons, their likes, dislikes, and their foibles. Designing a space that you might think is great on paper might not work well in reality. Treat employees with more respect. Upper management needs to work in the branches to see what happens on a daily basis. Come down from the tower. Reward employees for working hard.

"Good but with Flaws"

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You're guaranteed a small increase in hourly earning even as a shelver
    - You can't beat the PTO and sick leave
    - You don't have to worry about job security

Cons

While I feel like this library is the best place I've worked for thus far it really does have it's cons.

- No advancement: Simply put, if you're part time you're likely going to stay that way. There are almost NO full time positions and on the rare occasion one opens up, you're going to have some really stiff competition because you're not the only one looking for full time here. The higher ups claims you can work your way up through part time positions but at best you can go from shelver to LSA then that's it.

- Speaking of higher ups: They don't listen nor do they care. There is a lot of distrust and sometimes fear of the higher ups. They have a power complex when it comes to their treatment of those in the branches and especially right beneath them. Legitimate concerns are brought up all the time both based on staff and customer opinion but if the higher ups think they know what's best then everyone else will be ignored as they implement their glorious plans.

- Branch security: There is none. Anyone in the world can walk in and threaten you and you simply have to deal with it. Call downtown for help? They see this kind of thing more often than the others branches so they're immune to it l. Call the cops? Unless they've actually hurt someone it is somewhat pointless. The only solution is to ban the person and that doesn't really prevent them from walking in whenever they want.

- Not really a con but your experience will really vary depending on which branch you work at which is likely true for any large system.

Advice to Management

Everyone tells you to actually listen to your employees and you act like that's the hardest concept to grasp. It really isn't.

7. "Too Much Red Tape"

Current Employee - Library Assistant
    Current Employee - Library Assistant

I have been working at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Adequate pay for full-time employees.
    Generous PTO.
    Closed most federal holidays.

Cons

There is a major culture of fear in this company. For a library system with over 40 branches and a very large Main library, it is disconcerting that one person makes pretty much all decisions and that she surrounds herself with "yes" people. Administration is not at all receptive to feedback and makes decisions without considering how it might hurt front-line staff members. Managers have cliques and, at least in my experience with certain branches, are rarely present. HR has been notified by several instances of bullying caused by managers and employees and consistently fails to intervene.

Advice to Management

Act like an actual business and not a high school.

8. "Administration Disconnect"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is some room to grown within this organization. But it stops if you want to advance into Administration.

Cons

The only way one gets into Administration is if you are a "Yes" man and you are liked by the Director and her minions. Everyone in Administration is afraid of telling the Director the truth. But I guess I don't blame them because if you do tell the truth then that's career suicide.

Advice to Management

Grow some kahunas and stand up to Administration. Share what staff really feel about the decisions that are made and the impact on the staff and community.

9. "Great place to work"

Pros

The people, the mission and the benefits make the Library an outstanding place to work.

Cons

Pay is not as high as with private organizations.

"Committed staff, out-of-touch senior leadership"

Pros

The staff that are working daily to fulfill the Library's mission and serving our community.

Cons

Culture of fear being perpetuated by senior leadership

Advice to Management

Improve your emotional intelligence

11. "Treated like a moron most of the time"

Current Employee - Lsa
    Current Employee - Lsa

Pros

Some flexibility in scheduling. Mostly friendly employees.

Cons

Probably depends on the department, But where I work as an assistant I am treated like a moron by most librarians.

Advice to Management

It comes from the top down.