The Red Door Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
W. Todd Walter

Pros
Cons
  • Poor management and corporate structure (in 11 reviews)

• There's high turnover for a reason, folks (in 6 reviews)

1. "A Gimmick"

Current Employee - Nail Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Nail Technician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Red Door full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting your hair, nails, and body treatments done for almost free. Employee only sales and discount days. The name Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa looks good on your resume.

Cons

When it's not busy and your client retention is low then you are subject to losing your job.. the company only promotes its products that they sell not the services.

Advice to Management

Promote and advertise all of the services that the licensed technicians provide in order for them to gain access to more customers. Get rid of the lousy commission-based structure.

2. "Esthetician/Educator"

Current Employee - Esthetician and Educator in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Esthetician and Educator in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at The Red Door full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is always overflowing with education. It helps to keep you on your toes as an esthetician and help you grow. There is also growth opportunity -- I start in the company as a GSR and worked my way into the face department as an esthetician, then my department lead's assistant and now educator.

Cons

Pay structure and % will most likely always be the number one complaint amongst employees. However, in the 5 1/2 years since I started with this company, I left briefly due to pay and came right back realizing the grass is not always greener on the other side. The pros out way the cons!

Advice to Management

I am currently blessed with a great manager so I have no advice to give her :) -- But one general advice I can give all managers is to try and think like a technician during your decision making process.... yes, of course you must always think like a manager and the business needs comes first, but simply look at the situation through a technicians eyes first, take that into consideration, and then form your final decision.

3. "Guest service Manager"

Current Employee - Guest Services Manager in Bellmore, NY
    Current Employee - Guest Services Manager in Bellmore, NY

I have been working at The Red Door full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Where to begin?? I have been with The Red Door Salon and Spa for about 4 years now and I have to say it's been nothing but an absolute pleasure to work for a Company Such as this. I started my journey at The Red door as a Guest service representative/Makeup Artist/ Call Center Representative. A little back story on myself I am a licensed Esthetician as well as Licensed Makeup Artist, I first began my journey hoping to become an Esthetician with The Red Door but sadly was in a car accident and was unable to continue that path due to injuries incurred in the accident. To my surprise that was not the end of my Journey with The Red Door. Over the years I Have worked my way Through Varies Levels of Management to get to where I am today. I Love the fact that The Red Door believes in its employees and has seen my potential and has moved me up within the company. I feel in the short time that I have been with the company I have learned so much. The Red Door is really big on continuing education. Between all the events we get to be a part of and all the many unique individuals we get to meet every day I can honestly say I have never had that in any of my other jobs. To me the red Door is the ultimate in salon and spas. I had the pleasure of working with many Strong individuals that I look to as mentors. Everyday I am learning something knew that I use in my life to ensure I am building myself to be better for the red Door. If you are ever given an opportunity to work for this company you should take it and make the most out of it because I assure you, you will see the rewards.

Cons

I guess pay but who doesn't want to make more

Advice to Management

Learn everything you can about the business and just when you think you know it all realize that in this industry everything is always changing so be on top of your latest trends and learn how to connect with your guests. Realize that everyone is an individual and so not every person can be address the same and not every person learns the same. Lead by example and at the end of the day understand and have compassion for your fellow team members. Be a support system ready to jump in where needed. Make sure your presence is seen and heard. Use every moment as a couching moment to better yourself and your team.

5. "It's okay"

I have been working at The Red Door full-time

Pros

Benefits are okay, insurance, vacation days and holiday pay. There is "sick pay" but you have to miss two consecutive days of work in order to get paid for one day. So if you are sick 4 days you only qualify for 3 days paid. Also say your days off are sundays and Tuesday's and you have the flu and call out Saturday and Monday, you won't qualify for any sick pay because you didn't miss consecutive days. Tricky.

Cons

There is a call center responsible for booking appointments and they are terrible. Constantly screwing up appointments and causing headaches.

6. "Aesthetic Department Manager"

Former Employee - Aesthetician Department Manager
    Former Employee - Aesthetician Department Manager

I worked at The Red Door full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, Discounts, flexibility, products, good GM

Cons

Very corprate they won"t allow adjustments for area
    too many discounts on services

Feb 13, 2017

Thank you for telling us about your experience at The Red Door. We feel that a strong training program prepares you to utilize your craft to its best potential! We have found that many of our ... More

7. "Love my Red Door Spa family."

I have been working at The Red Door full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spa service perks are Great! The discount on retail is always nice too, especially when having to get a Birthday gift, I think I have given the neck pillow to everyone. Love working with great people.

Cons

None, love what I do. Wish I could get massages & facials every day, but have to work some days.

Feb 13, 2017

We truly appreciate all of your wonderful feedback on your experience with us! We all love the discounts on the retail especially when the employee sales roll around. Thank you for your dedication ... More

"Never a boring day, at Red Door; always drama either with clients or not."

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Woodbury, NY

Pros

Great discounts, you can find great friends, very simple work dress requirements; just all black and Profesional. Very simple responsibilities.

Cons

Lots of work for little pay, and unfair compensation judgement. Must delicate many years for movement up to a better job position. They are not really open to hiring esthetic advisors.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for better workers and actually contribute to client issues.

"Not a busy place."

I have been working at The Red Door part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co works are nice, clientele is good.

Cons

Not busy, manager had NO communication skills. In a salon/spa environment you really should listen to your technicians, they are the ones that are making the clients happy.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate with your employees. Needs to learn how to work well with others. Also needs to help technicians build there clientele but offering specials.

10. "A review from a real AGM at the Harrah's location"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at The Red Door full-time

Pros

This company truly has an open door policy.There is a phone list for everyone in the corporate office and we are all made to feel we can reach out to anyone with any issue or concern. You get a 90% discount on services booked same day at your home location and 50% off at other locations. There is also a friend's and family discount and the retail discount is the best for any company I have worked for. There is information and communications about anything you need to know. From conference calls, corporate support, and our SharePoint, if you have a question or are unsure it is not hard to find answer. My location has has a lot of people grow within the company. If you are motivated and want to grow there are a lot of opportunities for you. Out of everything at Red Door my favorite thing is the people. I love my team. Red Door is great with charity and our techs give more to more charities then I can even count. The people of Red Door Salon and Spa all really do care about people's wellbeing. Corporate has a wellness committee that has different competitions to help us all stay healthy. There is a Red Door company newsletter called the Culture Chronicles that tells us what other people in the company are doing and what locations are doing for charity and employees. We have a lot of locations but it's still one big family.

Cons

While you do try to maintain a balance in your home and work life it is easy for it to take over if you are not careful. There are a lot of emails and it can be overwhelming when you return from your days off. if you check them while your off it is easy to get sucked into work mode.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep the Red Door standards high. I love what we stand for but sometimes I feel we keep people on staff that lost the passion for what we do. It affects other staff and more importantly our guests. One of the reasons I chose to accept my role at Red Door is my GM telling me about Red Door's goal to have the right people, in the right places, doing the right things. I cannot say that I feel this is being upheld completely and it is one of the basics that we do that sets us above others.

Jan 11, 2017

Thank you for highlighting so many great benefits to working for The Red Door! Passion for your career is the secret to personal growth and the growth and stability of our company. With all of our ... More

"Nail Technician"

Pros

This was a great part time job until Red Door at Work closed their Boston Office two weeks before the holidays

Cons

management was the reason the company went down. There was barely any marketing or promotion and the management never listened to employees