The Refinery Creative Reviews | Glassdoor

The Refinery Creative Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2019

Found 15 reviews

3.8
The Refinery Creative CEO Adam Waldman (no image)
Adam Waldman
  1. "Always strives for great creative but not at the expense of its staff"

Current Employee - Motion Designer

I have been working at The Refinery Creative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Treats the staff great, makes them feel unique and valued.

Cons

Bursting at the seams, needs more space.

The Refinery Creative2019-04-16

"Good Place to Learn the Ropes"

I have been working at The Refinery Creative

Pros

Relatively relaxed work environment. Good place to learn. Quick advancement.

Cons

Egos - probably as a result of quick promotions.

The Refinery Creative2019-01-09
  3. "junior illustrator"

I have been working at The Refinery Creative full-time

Pros

great environment, pet friendly , no ego

Cons

long hours, sometimes not a lot of communications

The Refinery Creative2017-09-28

"Draining. Not worth it."

I worked at The Refinery Creative

Pros

Worked on big name projects, catered lunches every other day , cool office space, free snacks (this is normal for most creative firms). If you love entertainment, you'll love the conversations that occur here.

Cons

VERY LONG HOURS, ridiculous requests made frequently, lack of respect from top down, little employee work/life balance and freedom, sometimes toxic work environment, simply put - not worth it.

Advice to Management

Try to focus a little more on being innovative rather than just creative :) AND FIX YOUR DARN WEBSITE!

The Refinery Creative2017-08-22

The Refinery Creative Response

August 28, 2017Head of Human Resources

it is unfortunate that your experience with our company was less than optimal. we urge any employee who feels the management team could improve their communication and/or work process to speak to their manager directly or bring the matter to HR. our longer hours are sometimes dictated by clients or as a result of our dedication to providing the top-notch creative our clients have come to expect and deserve. it is typical of the industry and we continue to strive to manage work assignments so that employees can achieve balance.

5. "My time at The Refinery"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at The Refinery Creative

Pros

Amazing people and work environment, they make everyday a blast! Everyone has a purpose and pushes themselves everyday to achieve an amazing final product.

Cons

long hours can be a bit draining.

The Refinery Creative2017-03-17
  6. "Best place I've been in 100 years"

I have been working at The Refinery Creative full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, nice people, nice people. Good salary, no yelling, good work/life balance, catered lunch twice a week, pet friendly.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

none. keep on doing what you're doing.

The Refinery Creative2017-03-15

"not worth it"

I worked at The Refinery Creative

Pros

Nice people, good networking opportunities

Cons

Totally unorganized from a business standpoint, low compensation

The Refinery Creative2016-05-19

The Refinery Creative Response

May 20, 2016Director, Human Resources

we appreciate the feedback and continue to look to improve our efficiency and processes. in addition, we generally remain in the average range of marketplace salaries, but understand that other agencies sometimes outbid us for talent.

"Been all over, finally found a home."

Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at The Refinery Creative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Refinery truly cares about its employees' work/life balance. Yes there can be long hours, as should be expected at a company of this caliber and in this industry. However, for the most part, there is a healthy balance of work/life experience with the added benefits of comped time off, bonuses, company subsidized perks such as massage and family services, company get-togethers etc. Management shows it's... appreciation for the hard work and reciprocates.

Cons

In some corners of the building (creative directors, upper management, etc...) there can be some bottlenecking and a lack of communication. This comes down to personalities and is not necessarily an easily solvable thing. However it is a truly friendly place to work with almost NO ego and the folks here all seem to truly respect each other. When things break down it is really never personal. That being said, it's... something to keep in mind to either find a workaround for or take in to account when interviewing/working here.

Advice to Management

I appreciate what you're doing here. It's difficult to wrangle so many folks in such a fast-growing company. My only advice would be to keep putting employees first and they will keep putting good work forth.

The Refinery Creative2015-12-02

"Great place to work"

I have been working at The Refinery Creative

Pros

If you love what you do, and love to create cool stuff this is the spot for you. There's always work coming in, so you don't have to deal with downtime or wondering when or where the next job might come from. They do catered lunches and you don't want that its in a great location with tons of places to eat nearby.

Cons

The place is split into teams, so if you get picked up by a certain team, you don't get a chance to work on projects that another team is working on.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

The Refinery Creative2015-11-25

"One of the best places to work in the Industry!"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director

I have been working at The Refinery Creative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- good creative guidance in each team - Creative Directors are very approachable - great projects come along frequently - high volume of turnaround so many chances of getting a shot at a finish - catered food, good healthcare, easy parking, - fair reimbursement - each team has their own styles and pros and cons

Cons

- hours can be long but nothing out of the ordinary for the entertainment industry and still better than many others - sometimes creative process becoming routine can be a problem - fast turn around times and stress happens

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Keep communicating that's always important. Push back on the clients if they are ridiculous and unreasonable. And remember that the number one asset in this kind of company are always the people. And keep doing what you're doing.

The Refinery Creative2015-03-03