The Related Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Stephen M. Ross

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work-life balance is incredible- you are granted x amount of days off and encouraged to use them (unlike my old company) and if you don (in 7 reviews)

• They had reasonably good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great company and great mentors!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Related Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had nothing but good experiences at Related. I started off at the company as a part of their summer internship program. I learned a lot from my manager and the various mentors I shadowed throughout the process; they saw potential in me that I didn’t even know was there. I was given the opportunity to intern a second time and then received an offer once I graduated from college. They definitely provide opportunities to their employees for upward mobility. I’ve worked for more than three different managers which allowed me to develop an understanding for various departments within Related Management. Through my time here I have developed a multitude of skills through the constant learning opportunities they provide their employees. It has been a great first job but Related is also a place I could see myself at for many more years to come.

Cons

One suggestion that I could make would be to have a better first day experience. I felt they were lacking an orientation.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to implement a better orientation to improve new employee's first day so they gain more knowledge about the company.

2. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Related Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training and trainers were on point, no ways to improve. HR was very good. A lot of interaction with regional managers and frequently. Most staff were nice and personable.

Cons

Always short staffed. Overtime was absolutely necessary to complete work. Benefits were so-so. Management at the site level was not good, working far less than their staff, doing anything but work at the site and seemed to remain in positions for extended periods to the detriment of site and their subordinates. High stress and lots of serious health problems amongst most dedicated employees.

Advice to Management

Be dedicated at least as much as those you manage otherwise take a lower level position. Be realistic about work load and regular assignments. Prioritize, everything can’t be critical and needed ASAP. Be more flexible with time off, we all work short staffed, you could too. Promote from within.

"Corporate atmosphere - No room for growth"

I have been working at The Related Companies full-time

Pros

Great perks: Citibike, Equinox, working on the best development projects

Cons

I've been at Related for several years and despite positive reviews and initiatives to take on more responsibility, there has been no growth in the company. It can be isolating to work in one of the "companies" with no interaction with the rest of the company. Extreme corporate environment. Not a culture that encourages creativity.

Advice to Management

Provide tools for career development

4. "Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Concierge in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Related Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Building is Nice and people are nice.

Cons

The Building is falling apart.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of your game . Take care of your employees

"Marketing Analyst"

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at The Related Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salaries, Great Company Reputation

Cons

Poor Office Culture, Limited Movement Internally, Poor Communication to Employees, Poor Work/Life Balance, Poor Employee Policies including PTO and Remote Work

"Everything You Could Want for Career Growth"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Related Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are someone who seeks out career advancement and opportunities, Related is the perfect place for you. The office is run like a small entrepreneurial shop while providing the benefits of a large and stable institution. The culture and environment allows you to take on additional responsibility quickly. There is no doubt that Related is a serious company where you work hard - but you are rewarded for that work with career growth, compensation, and upward mobility. In my 3 years at the corporate office, I never once felt like I was competing against anyone internally for the next step or opportunity. The door was open for anyone willing to work for it. It is a fast paced environment but you can sit down with almost anyone for advice or guidance.

The company is clearly committed to strengthening the business support units. During my time they have built out new teams for numerous office functions that are essential to the growth of the company. Leadership realized they needed to improve multiple areas, so they made strategic hires of external candidates and provided them with the resources to build out highly functioning/improved teams. Examples of this are HR, Accounting, Risk, Procurement and Financial Planning. In my opinion - that shows a serious commitment from the company to become best in class at multiple areas.

The commitment to better the company is ever-present. Leadership respects the subject matter experts across the board. If you are prepared and can provide substance to new ideas they will support you.

Personally, Related has been one of the best decisions I have made in my professional life. I have been pushed constantly and I really feel that I have expedited my career. The exposure to senior staff and leaders was unparalleled for any other company of this size. I would recommend Related to anyone who is dedicated and serious about their career. The company is truly best in class.

Cons

The company is constantly growing, and the leadership does not accept complacency. Every group has its own unique style and feel.

When pursuing opportunities at Related, it is important that you find a team where your working style matches up with those of the group leaders. Some candidates are enamored with all the amazing projects and things the company does they forget to judge the opportunity itself, and rather are just looking for a way in the door. Because the teams are so small, this is the absolute worst thing a prospective employee can do. Hiring managers invest time and sweat equity into you when they are making a hire. If you are not prepared to return the investment within that specific group or team - take a step back and reconsider that particular position. Make sure you are joining a group and team that you actually want to be apart of. The only employees I saw who had a tough time - were those who just wanted to work at Related, rather then working for that particular team and position in which they were hired.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing. The strength of the company is truly in the leadership and people who support them. Related really does not say No to anything, if they think it can add value to the company or business.

7. "Great Work Environment!"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at The Related Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work environment with a collaborative team who are extremely knowledgeable in their respective fields.
    -Training has been excellent, you are truly given the tools to be successful in your role.
    -Opportunity for growth and a progressive career path.

Cons

-No cons at this time.

"Help Desk Analyst"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at The Related Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-A lot of opportunities to learn and grow your skillset
    -Opportunity to work with a solid group of ambitious, hungry indivuals eager to learn and driven to change the perception of IT

Cons

- Poor leadership
    - Huge departmental turnover
    - Just because you take time to learn things, Related will not provide the opportunity for you to demonstrate those skills and put in the time and work to earn opportunities. Management will see this as just being able to stack additional work on your plate.
    - Knowledge gap keeps increasing every year as employees leave and consultants fill in the spaces
    - Losing the battle against other private real estate firms in the technology space with failed projects due to poor planning.
    - Poor communication across the company when it comes to IT initiatives/projects
    - Core IT infrastructure and front line support being outsourced

Advice to Management

There is a lot of potential in the IT department that keeps getting squandered because of the risk-averse leadership, and as a consequence, ends up killing the ambitions and motivations of those who stay and hope for opportunities to shine

9. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Related Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a major discount to equinox

Cons

This company is a joke. There is barely any diversity in the Manhattan offices and the upper management employees treat the employees who are not on their level very unfairly. There is a lack of communication and so many changes that the team cannot stay efficient. The work life balance and pay is horrible, you only receive 18 days off in the entire year. The turnover rate is very high. Employees resign very often and people are often fired. There is not a lot of growth.

Advice to Management

Hire more diversity into your company. Upper management should stop treating employees unfairly and focus on being a team.

10. "Great Company to Work For!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Re Certification Specialist in Harbor City, CA

I worked at The Related Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, invests in the professional growth and development of their staff, and takes great care of their properties, excellent work-life balance. Working for Related I truly felt like I was part of an A-Team of people who were goal oriented and had strong work ethic. Great company culture and positive work environment, and lots of opportunities to advance. A GEM of a Company. I would certainly come back if they buy a property in my new home state!

Cons

I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Buy a property in Cleveland, OH!