The Retirement Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Jastremski

Pros
  • I am glad I had a chance to learn and work at The Retirement Group (in 3 reviews)

• Working at TRG was a great learning experience for me (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, low pay, low morale, hostile workplace (in 4 reviews)

• No one smiles, their is no job satisfaction only a place to make money and more money for the CEO (in 3 reviews)

1. "A Great Experience"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intren in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intren in San Diego, CA

Pros

I had an amazing experience working for the Retirement Group. I interned there for almost a year and was given amazing learning opportunities. My boss always took the time to give me feedback on my performance and offer advice on how to grow. During my internship I got to experience a great deal of different roles giving me excellent insight into the finance industry. The Retirement Group was very flexible and always respected my school schedule. They treat their employees very fairly and look out for their best interests

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that you must be willing to work hard and put in the necessary hours to succeed.

2. "Good place to start your financial career"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group (More than a year)

Pros

I started as an intern in Aug 2014, which last about a month, then work full time as financial data analyst. They will train you how to select value stocks, how to build a value portfolio. In the meantime, I also work on PortfolioCenter to process daily data transformation and reconciliation. Due to my VISA issue I have to leave on Jun 2015. Those days in retirement group are great memory. People are really nice and helpful, the owner, John, is very passionate and professional. My supervisor was very patient to answer my sometime silly questions. Lol. Generally, it's a good place to work if you want some experience in wealth investment industry. --Octavio

Cons

Any cons? Not that I know

3. "Great place to develop your career"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Retirement Group full-time

Pros

Great place to develop your career

Cons

no really serious cons from our persp

Advice to Management

"An okay place to work if it is your first job out of college."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Retirement Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None really. The advisors get paid well but the support as seen as the kitchen staff. This place sees more turnover than football game. Management is inept, run the owners name through Broker Check on FINRA and see what you find.

Cons

No benefits, low pay, low morale, hostile workplace.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with decency.

"They have their current employees write flawless reviews on here and Google."

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time

Pros

There's seriously nothing positive to say about this place.

Cons

Operations team is just the gossip team. They talk like mad through Google chat all day about other workers and pick on the interns. Some of the financial advisers are nice, but the others think they're hot shots. The rest of the advisers are just incompetent grunts that management uses to ride out till the very end. I feel bad for anyone under JJ.

"Run away from this place"

Former Employee - Broker Trainee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Broker Trainee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in a lousy section of La Jolla

Cons

No real opportunity here. Interns are unpaid slaves. Broker Trainees are just fed a bunch of lies that they have to "earn" the right to be a broker by cold calling fortune 500 companies and tricking them into meeting with an advisor for a seminar. TRG has no real interest in placing these trainees into roles, but a huge interest in paying minimum wage for cold callers who are qualified for much more.

Advice to Management

Change everything and stop being so full of lies.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands on experience
    Chance to learn the ins and outs of an RIA
    Chance to learn and use institutional software

Cons

Long hours
    You will feel taken advantage of
    Use this place as a springboard - Do NOT stick around too long

Advice to Management

Stop engaging with interns on projects that regular staff should handle. Can't base research off intern's hw.

9. "Sam Goerss - ATT Specialist"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Retirement Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a financial advisor trainee at this firm. I worked very closely with Sam Goerss. He taught me the pension and 401k plans for AT&T employees. I found it very interesting and useful. I have no complaints.

Cons

I didn't like the long hours or the commute. Sometimes I felt overwhelmed. I wished there were more food places close to the office.

10. "Hands On Internship, Fast Paced, Demanding, Happy I Survived!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as a "financial analyst" while finishing SDSU. I didn't get to do a lot of "analyst" work like I expected at first, but was instead thrust into many different projects. The pros of the internship were that I was able to work with all different people in the office, from other interns to financial advisors, to trainees and marketing... this was not at all what I expected. I thought I'd be sitting behind a computer all day, assisting a senior analyst on investment portfolios. After some time I was able to help in the financial planning process and work on real client accounts, but I had to earn the chance to do so.

I ended up learned about different aspects of the company and the industry, but certainly had to "pay my dues" (I think) in the very beginning. I started doing research projects and analyzing company benefits before I was able to look at any investment analysis. In the end, I'm very happy I was able to learn more beyond the scope of what I expected, but it was not easy. I've read the other reviews on here and I understand why people have said there is no work/life balance! I'm grateful for the experience I had, but I'm not ready to fully dedicate my self to such a demanding business.

The other "pro" was that I was given a strong standing recommendation to help get my foot in the door somewhere in the future.

Cons

The biggest "con" was that I wasn't fully prepared for what the internship really meant. I worked hard, but there was always more to do. Even when I thought I was done with a project, there would be a next step to complete. I can see how a person might burn out quickly. The people there were supportive, but they expected me to be self-motivated and push myself without constant direction or oversight. At times, I wasn't always sure what to be doing so I had to reach out and ask for help. I would have liked to see a little more structure, but it is a relatively small firm (about 35 people in the corp. office) so I understand why everyone was always busy. I think this would be a great career for the right person who has time to dedicate to it.

Advice to Management

Slow down! We students aren't always ready to work at this pace!

11. "Financial Adviser training under Michael Lee"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Retirement Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Michael showed me the ins and out of the ATT pension plan. Working with him he taught me how to plan according to interest rates and make sure clients get the most benefits possible.

Cons

Office moral is really low from everyone being overwhelmed. No team building excercises. No employee benefits

Advice to Management

Make employees happier in order to keep the work place more productive