The Richards Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Richards Group Founder Stan Richards
Stan Richards

Pros
  • Though many have left negative-ish reviews about the profit-sharing plan, it's FREE MONEY (in 15 reviews)

• So many hard working, brilliant, encouraging, professional, nice people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is not the greatest (in 8 reviews)

• You are expected to work like a mule, for extremely long hours, constantly (in 12 reviews)

1. "Challenging as hell- but worth it"

Current Employee - Brand Media in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Richards Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to be challenged to be smarter about the way you think about advertising strategy every day, this is the place for you. TRG gets a lot of flack for the "no titles" culture. And I agree, sometimes it's hard to understand where you fit on an org chart or explain to partners/clients who should be in charge of certain tasks. But because of the people who work here, if you are proactive in wanting to learn new things and create real strategy, you have the ability to get involved in projects well beyond your tenure. You have opportunities to manage teams and put together strategy, work one-on-one with people who are much smarter than you and have much more experience. Those opportunities have been invaluable to me.

If you're not on teams that allow for that, or are feeling overwhelmed, senior management is happy to make changes for you. All you have to do is ask. TRG is a place that values people who are smart, excited to learn, and eager to support others.

Cons

If you want 9-5 job where you can work from home and master tasks without being challenged daily, this is not the place for you.

If you want to get the most out of your experience working at TRG, and are proactive about getting involved in a lot of different projects, you will work overtime.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Media Planner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Media Planner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Richards Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve worked as a media planner at The Richards Group for nearly six years and have enjoyed every minute of it. Will you work hard? Yes. Will you be challenged? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes. In the media world, there are very few places that have the depth and breadth of clients that The Richards Group has (not a small local piece of big brands like most agencies have either) which not only sets this place apart but also continuously challenges the department to get smarter and more strategic.

The people are what truly make this place amazing and are one of the biggest reasons I have stayed here so long. The environment is very team based and encourages comradery which makes getting through busy times much easier. I have never felt like I was on an island but have always had great teammates and bosses to rely on in any circumstance. I truly love the people I work with.

There is also a ton of opportunity for advancement if you work hard. Because we’re title agnostic, people’s advancement is truly based on merit and the work they put in. People don’t getting promoted just because they have been at the agency a certain amount of time, but rather, people are recognized for their work and pushed forward regardless of the title. The opportunity is there to advance your career if you want to work for it.

Overall, the experience you get from The Richards Group depends on what you want to put into it. If you want to work hard, learn a TON, have fun, and meet great people, this place has all of that and more.

Cons

It’s not a cake walk and sometimes that can mean working some overtime here and there. If you want to do the bare minimum and not be challenged, this isn’t the place for you. We work hard but reap the benefits of working hard. PSA- if you don’t want to work hard, advertising probably isn’t the right job for you :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and challenging people to be the best. It only makes us better employees in the end.

"wow"

Current Employee - Creative Group Head in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Creative Group Head in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Richards Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Couldn't be more surprised at the negative comments. So many hard working, brilliant, encouraging, professional, nice people to work with. Obviously, everyone's experience isn't mine but the negatively shown in some of these comments is laughable. I'd have to say they're much better off not being here an we're much better off with them gone.

Cons

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is that we could take a few more risks. Fun place to work, compensated well, challenged by great clients to do great work, tons of talented co-workers, a great work space, good work/life balance, respectful/stable management, mature business-like approach, cutting edge, a good mix of ages, genders, and ethnicities.

Advice to Management

Keep doing more of the same. Identify younger future leaders.

"Amazing workplace!"

Current Employee - Brand Media in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Richards Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the benefits, the clients are all great ! The people at The Richards Group truly take ownership of their clients business and work hard to ensure success.

Cons

The gym is not open on the weekends (seriously??) There is a gym for employees that is how much they care. There are no cons.

"I have never been more miserable in my life than I am working here"

Current Employee - Media Planning Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Media Planning Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Richards Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool office. That is the only pro.

Cons

Everything else about The Richards Group is terrible. The culture is misleading, cultish, and regressive. The best way I can describe it is a culture of constant fear and intimidation from upper management. The "Peaceable Kindgdom" is a total joke. Entry-to-mid-level employees are horribly undercompensated and worked like mules while the higher-ups get the fat checks and relax. There is absolutely no work/life balance, whatsoever. You are expected to work like a mule, for extremely long hours, constantly.

It's also a "Boy's Club" - if you are a woman, you will receive terrible medical benefits, no maternity leave, and you probably won't make it into highest-level management ever because Stan very clearly clings to the advertising ideals of the 1950s when it comes to hiring and promotion. The opportunities for advancement as a woman at TRG are sparse, and after comparing my salary to those of my male colleagues in the same position, I found that I was severely underpaid - and I can't do anything about it because it is against TRG rules to discuss ones salary with coworkers, so I will lose my job if a reveal that I did.

Luckily, I am about to leave this hellhole for a better, higher-paid position at an agency that actually treats it employees with respect. I can't wait to leave and never look back. Bye bye, Richards Group. May your prestige and hold on the Dallas market continue to fall apart as reputable giants like Saatchi & Saatchi and Omnicom take your best employees and market share. :)

Advice to Management

It's too late - the place is beyond repair. Just let TRG die naturally as it clearly has not and will not adapt to the needs of the modern ad world. It will never be able to retain its best employees because upper management does not care about them and it's obvious.

"Managers, NOT Leaders"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Richards Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nap rooms, gym, pretty building, profit sharing.

Cons

TRG makes their brand image sparkly on the outside with the glass windows, colors, and open design, but the company is toxic and a joke on the inside. People only stay here for profit sharing, which means you get a lot of very unhappy people showing up to work everyday who hate their jobs. If you are director level or above, you are going to be extremely unhappy here because it's like a giant boys club, and the women here are bitter about it and pissy all the time. There are a few media folks who pretty much run the whole show and they're a poison to the organization, have no clue what's actually happening in the real world and make decisions based on their own judgements. On the analytics side, they are FAR BEHIND in the industry but like to pretend they know what they're doing. Their analytics folks are not on industry panels, or invited to industry events, or seen as leaders in the space. They crunch a few numbers and make pretty presentations, but have zero business knowledge and operate inefficiently and waste time on projects that go absolutely nowhere. Now that we're in a data-driven world, this traditional agency is not going to last long at all, and it's best to not join this place unless you're an intern or entry level and need a paycheck. Also remember they pay less than all the great companies in Dallas, so profit sharing isn't a big deal if you can get paid 30k more somewhere else and take that cash home all year. Basic math :)

Advice to Management

Good luck. You need it.

"Good clients, nice people, good pay and benefits."

Former Employee - Group Creative Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Group Creative Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Richards Group (More than a year)

Pros

Good clients, nice people, beautiful work space.
    Some very talented people that deserve more day in what gets selected, presented to clients and ultimately produced.

Cons

Forget the 8:30am daily clock in, biggest problem no one talks about until you're there, is the name on the door is the judge of ALL creative. Doesn't hire great people and let them do what's made them great. It's disheartening for all the creatives with real talent. And the work suffers greatly because it it too.

Advice to Management

SR should not be selecting the work, which simply won't happen until he's gone.

"Nope."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Richards Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome building, nap rooms, gym, profit sharing, people are nice to your face, stan seems cool, young good looking people, next to lots of great food and entertainment in uptown, no sites are blocked by it, provide good technical resources and office supplies

Cons

rigid 8:30-5:30 m-f physical attendance policy, stalkernet, "big brother" 1984 feel inside, gossip, unsympathetic, lots of micromanaging, misleading culture, health plan sucks, it's not about the work it's about being controlled, they need you to be physically present or else they think you're not doing your job, deceptive, passive aggressive, quick to terminate and eliminate positions at a moment's notice, they monitor your facebook/social media during all hours of the day, misrepresent themselves to the public

Advice to Management

cut the act and start treating your employees like grown adults, spy less/work more

"Great environment to work in"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Richards Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The open seating concept, teamwork, and family vibe are all great reasons I loved working at The Richards Group.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say.

"You're likely to get fired within a year."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Smart people, neat office unless you don't like large windows in the women's restroom.

Cons

They really don't care about their employees in the least. You're likely to get fired within a year.