The Roasterie Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Danny O'Neill

1. "Good for College Students"

Former Employee - Barista in Kansas City, MO

I worked at The Roasterie part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ good co-workers
    + free coffee
    + tips

Cons

+ poor upper management / unfriendly owners
    + Saturday morning rush

2. "Fantastic Company to Get Started in Specialty Coffee"

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

Pros

While living in KC, I made some of my best friends working as a barista for The Roasterie. Service jobs are what you make them, but this one was cake. Short register interactions. Very little company supervision. Cool people to work with. If you love coffee, this place should be a no-brainer to work for.

All that, complaints about this company don't surprise me. There are a lot of drama queens that come through the service industry, who always like to whine about pay, advancement, people being mean to them, etc. Firstly, you'll be starting well above minimum wage, which should be appreciated in itself. Add tips to that, and you're making an additional $5/hr, which is a pretty good wage for a coffee shop. I advanced twice in my 2 years at the Roasterie. Almost everyone I know moved up, or at least got a raise, if they were there longer than a few months. Attitudes go hand in hand with the service industry. Maybe I have a thick-skin from working with kitchen staff, but if you can't handle the folks at the Roasterie, I don't know what you can handle.

Cons

Sometimes the disconnect between HQ and the satellite cafes can be a bit frustrating. There will be at least be one thing that breaks down every shift, I guarantee it.

"Great benefits...awful company."

I worked at The Roasterie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee. Decent pay and tips. Surprisingly good benefits with health plan, 401k, and sick days. Looks good on paper but in reality...

Cons

Terrible communication from within the company. No clear goals or expectations of employees. Absolutely no accountability for management or any other employees. If one person messes up everyone gets blamed in the form of empty threats from management. Poor training for such a simple job. New employees are easily treated as dispensable which I imagine contributes to the high turnover rate. Employees are extremely fearful of the CEO because he rules with somewhat of an "iron fist" which makes it very difficult to provide any sort of constructive criticism. Management doesn't listen or care about other employees concerns or demands, especially for newer employees. This was an incredibly easy job with great pay but the stress of working with employees and management that don't care whatsoever about your progress or well being became too much to handle pretty quickly.

2 out of 10: would not recommend.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better. Teach them how to work as a team rather than individuals. Develop a system to hold employees (including management!) more accountable for their actions and mistakes rather than blaming an entire crew. Also, hire managers that will actually get stuff done rather than make empty threats. Oh, and be nicer to your new employees. They might actually stay longer if you treat them with a lil respect. Kindness and respect goes a long way.

"Beware! Negative and horrible environment."

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at The Roasterie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros, the worst place I have ever worked. I will never step foot near the roasterie ever again.

Cons

"If Danny (CEO) is happy then everyone is happy" mentality and direction. That is the most ridiculous concept I've ever heard!!!! Everyone that works there is afraid of the CEO. Childish behavior from the top down. I do not believe in how they treat people there and the only reason they even have a business is because the coffee can sell itself. The CEO related me to a "trained monkey" from the second time talking to him during my onboarding meeting where we were discussing values and mission statement, ironic huh? Extremely relieved to have had the courage to walk out of that horrific place on my own terms.

Advice to Management

The golden rule.

"Amazing tasting coffee. Know what you're getting into before applying"

Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at The Roasterie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product and the enviroment is very pleasant with a "small business" feel. Oh! Free coffee!

Cons

The CEO is driven by the bottom line. People are second. Unfortunately, communication within is very poor.

Advice to Management

You must prioritize people if you want results. Training is good but then people are railroaded if goals aren't met.

"I wish someone would have warned me."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Free coffee, flexibility in opportunity (if you can make a case for something, there's a 50/50 chance you'll get it). Very nice lower-level staff. Good professional exposure, depending on position.

Cons

Not sure I'd have listened if someone had warned me not to work at The Roasterie, but a job there is a lot cooler on paper than it is in person. I echo most of what the previous reviewer said — about overloading someone new with work, hours, projects, until you're so physically, mentally, and emotionally broken down that you just take what equates to verbal abuse from the senior staff because you're too exhausted to do anything about it. There are no clear expectations, and when someone decides they're mad at you, they can tell you you're not meeting expectations. You are either on a pedestal or in the dog house, and while there are good benefits, they're just not worth the constant mental, emotional, and sometimes physical stress of working at The Roasterie HQ. I'm glad for the experience, but even more glad it's over.

Advice to Management

Give real feedback. The only feedback I ever got was "you're great" or "you suck," (in not so many words). It could change from day to day, and no one ever gave constructive criticism about how to do my job better. Perhaps if you gave clear expectations, and had real performance reviews that were based on more than the emotion of the owner on any given day, people might actually enjoy their jobs, strive to be better, and stay there.

7. "Better companies to work for unless you like being backstabbed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Free weekly coffee. That is really about the only pro for working for this company. Health insurance too but no vision plan. 401K but low pay doesnt make it worthwhile to participate.

Cons

The management team of The Roasterie lacks several key factors for success. Communication, dedication, ownership of mistakes, and recognition of ideas from team members for improvements. The company very clearly demonstrates its lack of focus and ability to drive a business forward. The product sells itself and sales do keep the company going but any employee outside the front office is basically deemed uneducated and replaceable "help" instead of contributors to the overall health and expansion of the company. Ideas for improvement can be brought to a manager and it will simply be ignored until a manager thinks it's a good idea then they will present it as their own. They do not take basic employee satisfaction seriously and most complaints are swept under the rug. The owner doesnt have a clue as to what is going on and when things arent going right, someone gets fired (or quits) and the cycle begins again with someone else. The company says "go the extra mile" and they mean go 2 or 3 miles while we only recognize you for a half mile of progress. Perks like catering employee lunches occasionally and free coffee may be enough for some but if you have talent, skills, and a decent ability to think please do yourself a favor and work somewhere else. If the owner saw more of what was really going on instead of working his "pie in the sky" visions, he would probably fire half of his management team and really look at his company from the inside out. Mr O'Neill could have a company twice its current size if he focused on the basics of manufacturing instead of being suckered in to thinking pie charts and little feedback forms do the job for you.

Advice to Management

Why dont you give all of your employees some feedback forms and suggestion sheets to provide feedback. It's simple. You already know what they are going to say and the employeees already feel as if their input into improving the work environment falls on deaf ears. I have heard so many times that "things will change" and nothing does. I have heard Mr O'Neill bark many times of improvements and have heard his own managers say "It'll never happen". Maybe if the managers actually supported improvement and change instead of wasting all their time on dog and pony shows for the owner, they wouldnt have to keep making excuses for why things aren't being done. Mr O'Neill, Stop, Look, and Listen. Stop looking at other companies to improve yours and focus on your company first. You made it and you need to run it. Look at what is not working within your management team. They don't even support you so why would any other employee. It's easy to place blame and fire people but when the same issues exist, doesn't that tell you the right decision wasn't made? Listen to the employees. That means all of them, not just the people you think are "cool". Even the "small folks" have good ideas and real solutions. There have been to many levels of heirarchy established and it has successfully chocked off the life breath others could breathe into your company.

"Worst company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The healthcare benefits, dental and paid time off/vacation were good. They give you a half day off on your Birthday. Leave at 4pm on Friday instead of 5pm. Unlimited supply of coffee to drink daily. Weekly employees get a small bag of coffee to take home or share with family.

Cons

Owner is a visionary but his pocketbook does not support the visions. He does not take the time to think before he leaps into the next decision that "the team" is required to accomplish. Many times he has so many silly visions the team looses focus on what it important for the company. Many people get their salary cut by 15,000 if the company can't afford them. Commission checks are never correct and they think it is acceptable to wait until next month to pay it. Bonuses are not reliable. Profit Sharing has been altered in the past and explained by saying goals are not met. Accounts Payable is horrible with the extended credit line and past due collections from overspending. People are fired without warning even after they just got a good review two months prior. Management lies to the owner so he does not fly off the handle but is false representation of situations helpful in running a business?

Here is how it works like clockwork there. New employee come on board owner/management treat them wonderful while they pile on all of your job duties until you physically and emotionally can not accomplish it. Many employees warned me when I started it was like working for the devil and it is so true. The employees seem like they have been there for a long time but it's just the same employees that wish they would leave but keep hanging on for the next roller coaster ride. Majority of employees that are good move on fast some last weeks to a year but really high turnover. Many get fired so management can lie to the owner about how they are going to change things with a different employee.

I am not bitter but encourage you to find some past employees on LinkedIn and talk to them before leaving a good job to work there. They will be honest with you.

Advice to Management

Having one person in charge of several departments who is disrespectful and yelling at people is no way to run a business. Dont be fake, be real. A person is only as good as their word. Unkept promises are considered lies and fluff and no one believes anything you say anymore. Look around at the meetings, look at the employees faces. Do you remember what the 10,000 consultant told you. Why did you hire her to only implement half of what she said. The problems with the company not running correctly is owner/management no one else. Why have monthly staff meetings to talk about upcoming goals that never happen? Where's the K cups? Why did it take years to start the expansion/improvements?

9. "Barista/Tri-Bar Attendant"

Pros

- Great coffee
    - Decent pay
    - Danny (CEO) is extremely outgoing and inspiring

Cons

- Managers are terribly stressed and unorganized
    - Constantly getting complained at for something that was not even near the job description/normal tasks for a day at work

Advice to Management

GET ORGANIZED

10. "Barista, Shift Supervisor"

I have been working at The Roasterie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

schedule flexibility, decent pay, great tips

Cons

bad management, drama, simple work, easy