The SAVO Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 1, 2016

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Liu

Pros
  • Most reputable sales enablement company in the industry (over 17 (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, good pay, fun culture (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior leadership states things are turning around which isn't true, and is not transparent on the nature of the business (in 3 reviews)

• HR caters to upper management only (in 3 reviews)

"toxic management"

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time

Pros

The people, but they are slowly 1 by 1 dropping out.

Cons

I could probably write a lot here, but a piece of advice, if you're thinking about interviewing or accepting a job offer at SAVO, do yourself a favor and do not do it.

"ALERT!!! Sinking Ship ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I spent the last 5 years working for this organization, and I can honestly say, the single ONLY PRO in my 5 years at SAVO were THE PEOPLE. And by that I mean the worker bees that I spent the time with, in the trenches. We are not talking about the leadership in the organization, but rather the people who put their blood, sweat, and tears, ahead of their families, and work their tail off for the illusion that there is going to be some big payoff. The people are the ONLY thing that has kept SAVO going! Honestly, that was the hardest part of walking away from SAVO.

Cons

It starts at the top. The current CEO has a complete disconnect from the pulse of the employees in the organization. Earlier this year, SAVO had a sizable layoff. The very next week, he gave a speech about how employee moral is at an all time high. If that doesn't show a disconnect, I don't know what does!

From there, you can move on to the various leadership levels around the organization. There has been a complete lack of vision around the halls of SAVO. That lack of vision from the leadership level has resulted in several rounds of worker bees in layoffs, as the leadership level covers their own tail. As of my departure, I watched 3 rounds of it happen. That was a clear signal to me, THE SHIP IS SINKING, AND ITS TIME TO MOVE ON!

Advice to Management

Cut the cord with the leadership in Engineering and Labs. They have absolutely failed the company. I have now thrown in the towel along with how many others this year? How many of us have to leave before someone can understand the trend? The problems start a the top of the organization. If the top could have a connection with the people in this company, they would understand the causes of the talent exit, and could right this ship. If you don't, the ship is going to continue to sink like the Titanic.

The SAVO Group Response

Oct 7, 2016 – Talent Manager

We appreciate feedback and believe that it is a necessary part of the continual improvement culture we embrace at SAVO. SAVO is in the middle of a significant transformation with a lot of change ... More

"Company in disarray"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few smart people from whom one can learn a great deal.
    Salary is decent as well as good insurance.

Cons

C-level people have no vision for the future of the company and keep changing direction every few months.
    VP-level people on the labs side don't know what they are doing. They are trying to move into full agile without having the proper infrastructure to support it. The codebase as well cannot support continuous delivery without being refactored.
    The direction of some teams seem to shift every few weeks. There are no team dynamics to produce high functioning teams. No sense of ownership of the product.

Advice to Management

C and VP level people in Labs need to go.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at The SAVO Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the culture of SAVO is initially exciting.

Cons

SAVO is not the place for you to advance your career. They've had 3 layoffs in less than 2 years. Due to the layoffs a lot employees are proactively searching for opportunities outside of SAVO. Senior leadership states things are turning around which isn't true, and is not transparent on the nature of the business. CEO tries to be transparent in monthly town hall meetings, but the messaging is not properly communicated to the company.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales people. You get bagels on Friday and soda on two floors. Excellent xmas party.

Cons

What a joke of company. In 23+ quarters, it never made its number. They boast they are the thought leaders. It is not that hard if you are the only one in the market tooting your own horn. Very nice to have solution. Not a have to have solution. Everyone in the company but sales people matter. Being around for 6 years does not mean you can call your self a start up.

Advice to Management

Leave

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

relaxed environment, snacks, nice office

Cons

Two rounds of lay-offs yet still dont seem to get rid of the problems. At least the CEO was finally canned.

Because they are on skeleton crew, I would not expect to come to SAVO to "climb the corporate ladder." Expect things to stay as they are. Looking to quickly recover from bad leadership and sell asap. BEWARE

Advice to Management

clean house, respect your workers ideas

"Corporate America At Its Worse"

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very few...downtown location and decent compensation/benefits.

Cons

Unprofessional management that talks down to employees, micromanagement, bad work life balance, antiquated technology stack, blatant favoritism of some employees over others, unrealistic deadlines, and down right lies about your career path and the projects you will be working on......and a grossly overcrowded office.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect.

"Beware Big Brother is watching.....I was "let go" due to a personal FaceBook posting ."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Initial impression was rather favorable - great teamwork.

Cons

Upper management, VP & above seem to have some internal in-fighting and disagreements on processes. Additionally, after setting an appointment w/ a VP, he checks out my personal Facebook page and decided that I had interests that were in conflict w/ SAVO and had my contract terminated w/out warning or notification of any internet/ social networking policies, after only 2 days on site.....simply a tacky way to treat a new hires.

Advice to Management

Micro-management and secretly spying on employees w/ out informing them of corp policies is simply really bad business.

"And I though I disliked Savo..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The fact that I am struggling to fill this space is indicative of the Savo experience. Honestly, Diet Mt. Dew and a couple of quality co-workers are about all of the positives I can muster.

Cons

I have to admit, I am a bit taken aback by just how severe the criticism of Savo is on this site. I thought I had a bad experience but evidently I was not the only one. Biggest issues as I saw were a poorly though out product design and release and ineffective senior leadership. The work environment was hostile due to the “management style” of some individuals already discussed in depth in the reviews provided by others. Overall, just not an enjoyable place to work.

Did I mention that the CEO has the audacity to reference “Manifest Destiny” in one of the company meetings as a vision for the future of the company? I would think the Kellogg School of Management would at least teach its graduates that an event with such negative implications and connotations is perhaps not the best way to depict your company’s future goals.

Advice to Management

Overhaul is the only solution. The "micromanager" who's last name happens to be one of the 4 seasons needs to be shown the door post-haste.

"Don't work at SAVO, you'll be miserable."

Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

SAVO is a great place to work if you aren't looking for a long term career opportunity and work from home. (Also a great environment if you like big changes.) A giant fridge full of soda and plasma screen T.V. awaits you if you do work in the office.

Cons

Senior management is too protected and new managers poorly chosen. Too much office politics exist in the organization.

The Operations leader is seriously abusive, micromanages sales, and terrorizes sales employees of all performance levels. An entire sales team was dissolved last year but cleverly swept under the rug. Turn over is so bad less than ten non-management staff have been there for 2 years or more. SAVO made an employee council to address problems but they don't have authority to make a difference. Every six months everything changes but never improves.

SAVO Sales and Operations Managers cause: new employees crying during training, yelling behind closed doors, a person with a disability put in a corner and humiliated, late commission checks with mistakes, wrongful termination threats, and employees walking on eggshells even if they are great at what they do.

Sales Development is currently led by green highly incompetent Middle Management in the Marketing Department who is in turn managed by an only part-time Vice President neither of whom has prior experience leading a sales team. One Vice President of Sales had a stack of HR complaints against them but was never fired, just demoted to a different job.

If you go to HR for help and management finds out, you'll be fired. If you leave SAVO, management will trash your reputation (said trashing is with HR's full knowledge and participation).

Advice to Management

Please get rid of the Senior Management in charge of Operations before you get sued. Don't put Account Executives in Account Management roles when their manager screws everything up and ruins the team. Please let Sales be in charge of Sales Development, not marketing. The CEO at SAVO is a swell guy, and I like him quite a bit... I'd even go so far to say he's handsome- but he's in trouble so long as he's confident in the performance of Senior Management, especially in Operations.