The SAVO Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

1.0
Jason Liu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • SAVO sits all alone as the leader in the Sales Enablement space, a great place to be (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, good pay, fun culture (in 5 reviews)

Cons

"It used to be a great place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. I made a lot of friends there.

Cons

I worked there for 5 years. As soon as I turned in my notice that I was leaving, for the next 2 weeks, not one person in management talked to me. Actually seemed like they even avoided eye contact. Not one said thank you. Not one said good luck. Not one said anything. So The BIGGEST con of all is that you will work there, and do everything you can for the company, and when you feel that you and the company are no longer growing together, they will feel betrayed, and will shun you for the rest of your time there, making your time there feel unimportant, and meaningless.

Flat team structure for development, but Management still pushes technology choices and makes all the decisions, or overrides the teams if they don't agree with the decision.

Management imposes unobtainable timelines.

Management will make the technology choices (not on everything), and then when it doesn't work, or isn't completed by when they said it should be, they want to know why you didn't finish it by then.

Product Management doesn't know what they want to create. They change direction constantly.

More trust is taken from the word of a consultant than their own people. If a consultant says they need to use 'NewWidget', then they use 'NewWidget'. If the consultant says 'SuperWidget' is a dying technology, even though it is the industry standard for Widgets and it is being used in house today, then they will ditch 'SuperWidget' for 'NewWidget'.

Management likes to use 'Trust me, i've been doing this a long time' as the reason their choice is better than yours.

A lot of responsibility falls on the Engineering team if they don't know who 'owns' it.

Advice to Management

Trust your people. You hired them for a specific job, you hired them because they were what you needed. They are the expert in 'Widgets', not you. You are the expert in management. Let them choose the best Widget.

Motivational speeches from the CEO where he says "in order to achieve greatness, you have to get rid of everyone except 1 person" is not motivational.

Telling people in order to achieve greatness, you have to give up your weekends and work more than 40 hours a week, when people are given a hard time when they take a long lunch once, is not motivational. Why would they want to give you more, if you don't let them have some of their own time when they want it.

"toxic management"

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time

Pros

The people, but they are slowly 1 by 1 dropping out.

Cons

I could probably write a lot here, but a piece of advice, if you're thinking about interviewing or accepting a job offer at SAVO, do yourself a favor and do not do it.

"ALERT!!! Sinking Ship ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I spent the last 5 years working for this organization, and I can honestly say, the single ONLY PRO in my 5 years at SAVO were THE PEOPLE. And by that I mean the worker bees that I spent the time with, in the trenches. We are not talking about the leadership in the organization, but rather the people who put their blood, sweat, and tears, ahead of their families, and work their tail off for the illusion that there is going to be some big payoff. The people are the ONLY thing that has kept SAVO going! Honestly, that was the hardest part of walking away from SAVO.

Cons

It starts at the top. The current CEO has a complete disconnect from the pulse of the employees in the organization. Earlier this year, SAVO had a sizable layoff. The very next week, he gave a speech about how employee moral is at an all time high. If that doesn't show a disconnect, I don't know what does!

From there, you can move on to the various leadership levels around the organization. There has been a complete lack of vision around the halls of SAVO. That lack of vision from the leadership level has resulted in several rounds of worker bees in layoffs, as the leadership level covers their own tail. As of my departure, I watched 3 rounds of it happen. That was a clear signal to me, THE SHIP IS SINKING, AND ITS TIME TO MOVE ON!

Advice to Management

Cut the cord with the leadership in Engineering and Labs. They have absolutely failed the company. I have now thrown in the towel along with how many others this year? How many of us have to leave before someone can understand the trend? The problems start a the top of the organization. If the top could have a connection with the people in this company, they would understand the causes of the talent exit, and could right this ship. If you don't, the ship is going to continue to sink like the Titanic.

The SAVO Group Response

Oct 7, 2016 – Talent Manager

We appreciate feedback and believe that it is a necessary part of the continual improvement culture we embrace at SAVO.

SAVO is in the middle of a significant transformation with a lot of change... More

"Company in disarray"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few smart people from whom one can learn a great deal.
    Salary is decent as well as good insurance.

Cons

C-level people have no vision for the future of the company and keep changing direction every few months.
    VP-level people on the labs side don't know what they are doing. They are trying to move into full agile without having the proper infrastructure to support it. The codebase as well cannot support continuous delivery without being refactored.
    The direction of some teams seem to shift every few weeks. There are no team dynamics to produce high functioning teams. No sense of ownership of the product.

Advice to Management

C and VP level people in Labs need to go.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at The SAVO Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the culture of SAVO is initially exciting.

Cons

SAVO is not the place for you to advance your career. They've had 3 layoffs in less than 2 years. Due to the layoffs a lot employees are proactively searching for opportunities outside of SAVO. Senior leadership states things are turning around which isn't true, and is not transparent on the nature of the business. CEO tries to be transparent in monthly town hall meetings, but the messaging is not properly communicated to the company.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sales people. You get bagels on Friday and soda on two floors. Excellent xmas party.

Cons

What a joke of company. In 23+ quarters, it never made its number. They boast they are the thought leaders. It is not that hard if you are the only one in the market tooting your own horn. Very nice to have solution. Not a have to have solution. Everyone in the company but sales people matter. Being around for 6 years does not mean you can call your self a start up.

Advice to Management

Leave

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

relaxed environment, snacks, nice office

Cons

Two rounds of lay-offs yet still dont seem to get rid of the problems. At least the CEO was finally canned.

Because they are on skeleton crew, I would not expect to come to SAVO to "climb the corporate ladder." Expect things to stay as they are. Looking to quickly recover from bad leadership and sell asap. BEWARE

Advice to Management

clean house, respect your workers ideas

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The SAVO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture in Chicago is great. Cool offices. Great atmosphere .

Cons

Management from the CEO down have all worked together before at more than one company so it's pretty much an old boys club.

Advice to Management

Be fair and set expectations that are realistic.

"Corporate America At Its Worse"

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at The SAVO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very few...downtown location and decent compensation/benefits.

Cons

Unprofessional management that talks down to employees, micromanagement, bad work life balance, antiquated technology stack, blatant favoritism of some employees over others, unrealistic deadlines, and down right lies about your career path and the projects you will be working on......and a grossly overcrowded office.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect.

"Beware Big Brother is watching.....I was "let go" due to a personal FaceBook posting ."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Initial impression was rather favorable - great teamwork.

Cons

Upper management, VP & above seem to have some internal in-fighting and disagreements on processes. Additionally, after setting an appointment w/ a VP, he checks out my personal Facebook page and decided that I had interests that were in conflict w/ SAVO and had my contract terminated w/out warning or notification of any internet/ social networking policies, after only 2 days on site.....simply a tacky way to treat a new hires.

Advice to Management

Micro-management and secretly spying on employees w/ out informing them of corp policies is simply really bad business.