The SCOOTER Store Reviews | Glassdoor

The SCOOTER Store Reviews

Updated May 5, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • the ability to help people in need (in 14 reviews)

• We all worked hard to provide mobility assistance to people in need (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management such as the Directors are even more out of the loop than anyone (in 9 reviews)

• They hired and investment hedge fund to run a health care based company and they ran it into the ground (in 4 reviews)

1. "Was a fun place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment. Really good jobs for the area. This company was always trying to stay ahead of the curve in the durable medical equipment market.

Cons

Government interaction was a constant distraction for front line employees and often fed the rumor mill. Most of what was said was only half true.

Advice to Management

Get out.

2. "ACCOUNT MANAGER"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

LOVED WORKING HERE! Management respected it's field employees and other than daily conference calls, we had minimal management interference (unless you took advantage of the situation)

Cons

Lack of training due to budget cuts. Personal growth as a field employee was not an option unless you moved to New Braunfels TX. And of course, the company closed. MAJOR CON there!

Advice to Management

Leadership should have really changes in mid-2000's to help growth!

3. "Interesting"

Former Employee - Payment Processor in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Payment Processor in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

was one big family, relax environment. Great benefits on-site Dr, gym, and cafeteria.

Cons

A lots of unknowns and worries of how long you was going to have a job.

5. "A very rewarding experience."

Former Employee - ATP in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - ATP in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The core values... Always do the right thing; the celebrations of EVERYTHING, etc. A very rewarding place to work. Always had the support you needed to succeed. It was fun and challenging and you always went home with a warm and fuzzy feeling because you knew that you made a difference in someone's life.

Cons

The government decided TSS was too big. The government decided that they were paying TSS too much money and shut them down.

Advice to Management

Sa la vie. It was good while it lasted.

6. "Middle management and C-Level Execs did not know how to run a day to day business."

Current Employee - Account Manager in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, good pay. It was a good balance of work and fun. The problem was that they kept tightening the reigns because they did not know how to maximize production. Could have been no problem if they could have handled billing.

Cons

Poorly run and immediate managers had no understanding on how to talk to people. IT solutions were archaic and this led to a major problem.

Advice to Management

Know what your business model is before executing strategy. Too many times the plans that were rolled out, were rolled back because it was easy to see it would not work.

7. "Out of Business"

Former Employee - Software Developer in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No need to rate because the company no longer exists.

This job started out pretty good but got worse as time went on. Constant cutbacks and talks of "managing people out".

Cons

Wasn't an awesome place to work anymore by the time I left. Sadly a lot of good people were left out in the cold when they shut the doors.

Advice to Management

Find a new job. Don't anger the federal government, even in Texas.

8. "Decent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good training so you are ready to say your script to the customer, they have a decent cafeteria and a gym onsite. They are better than most companies to their employees, especially if you do well in a call center environment. It is a very competitive office atmosphere as there is always some kind of contest going on, usually the same "office favs" got it every time

Cons

No variety, no one moves up, very political, you say the same thing to customers call after call which can get frustrating. Many times the customer asked a question that I didn't know the answer to and I couldn't find anyone to help. With all of the health care changes going on at the time, it was hard to tell some of the customers that we could no longer help them.

Advice to Management

Give your employees some individuality, make sure there are available supervisors on the floor

9. "Good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Mobility Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Mobility Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my co workers and our patients. I liked being able to drive my company vehicle home while that lasted. The pay was good. You didn't have management breathing down your neck.

Cons

Job description constantly changed, you were forced to sell or you would be written up. They constantly took benefits away such as 401k. The company got too big and sold out to investors and that's when it all changed. It was super stressful at the end.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people out in the field and give raises when they are deserved.

10. "Was a great place to work with a lot of good people."

Former Employee - Assistive Technology Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistive Technology Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at The SCOOTER Store full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good working conditions, good pay

Cons

Unfortunately, "big ships turn slowly" seemed to be the company's mission statement.

Advice to Management

It does not matter, since the company is no longer in business.

11. "I would still be happily working here if they hadn't turned out to be defrauding the government."

Current Employee - Inbound Marketing Customer Service Representative in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at The SCOOTER Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with great people, good starting pay for someone lacking experience, and got to hear some incredible stories from the people calling in. You felt like you were actually getting to help people everyday and the work was easy. I spent the last portion of my time with TSS working from home and it was a GREAT experience-the work was easy and you could relax with some music in the background, watch a movie in-between calls, etc. It was never a career for me but I wish they hadn't turned out to be so incompetent so I could continue to work for them! Also was great not having to share cubicles, the office was in a beautiful area, we had long lunches and there was a potluck nearly every week. Was also tons of fun getting to decorate everything for Halloween and Christmas. All the managers I got to work with and know were fantastic and while they weren't always very intelligent they cared about you. I can sincerely say that I miss working here.

Cons

They got raided by the FBI and let everyone go without any warning and without any compensation for our untaken vacation time, etc.