The Sacramento Bee Reviews | Glassdoor

Cheryl Dell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Electrician"

I have been working at The Sacramento Bee full-time

Pros

Very reliable like to make dead lines.

Cons

Some time slow when being very detailed at the job

"Bee Media (Sinking Ship)"

Former Employee - Media Planner
    Former Employee - Media Planner

I worked at The Sacramento Bee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good ideas, people who are interested in professional growth and contributing to a legacy of over 150 years. Smart and talented youth with interesting perspectives and ways to boost the image and work in digital advertising.

Cons

Management talks a big game but has poor execution. Not willing to train or give clear direction on subordinate duties then blames them for doing their best to carry out the abstract assignments and failing. Prohibits autonomy and stifles creativity.
    I was very optimistic about learning the business, I wanted to absorb everything there was to learn in the department but was met with very little guidance and training. The executives and management like to hear themselves talk. When lower level employees speak up with ideas, they are met with judgement and criticism.

Advice to Management

Replace managers from the 80s and 90s with people who know how to manage in 2018.

3. "Good part-time job"

Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at The Sacramento Bee part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly flexible schedule
    Good part-time 2nd job, or while at school

Cons

Hours can average around 3 hours per night locally
    And more than 6 per night if outside Sac.

Advice to Management

n/a

4. "Moving deck chairs on the Titanic."

I worked at The Sacramento Bee full-time

Pros

Wages
    PTO
    If you drive your sales team, you DO make your bonuses.

Cons

Poor allocation of talent
    No career pathing
    Complacency within departments an employees means no improvement will be made without proper motivation.

Advice to Management

Your company is failing. Stop playing musical desks and having meetings that no one is listening in and actually take real steps in the right direction. You have completely incompetent people managing departments that they don't understand...either move them where they will be effective, or let them go.

5. "Advertising"

I have been working at The Sacramento Bee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to work!

Cons

Too many meetings to discuss previous meetings.

Advice to Management

Great job!

"If you're looking at this, don't even apply... seriously. [BeeMedia, Advertising Division]"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at The Sacramento Bee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

...I'm drawing blanks, almost everything I could think of as a pro was basically the silver lining of a very dark cloud.

Cons

Most (not all) of the management absolutely ruins just about everything about this place. There's a 1:3 manager/director to person ratio. It's painfully obvious that most of the management hasn't had any formal training nor knows how to run a profitable business, in retrospect it makes sense why they struggle to make basic sales goals...which your paycheck depends on.

When I was interviewed and subsequently hired, I was promised bonuses of 1K+ a month, I don't think I saw that once. I was promised career pathing, never once had a performance meeting or anything having to do with my career. I was told that working with a commonly known micromanager was a "gift".

Micromanagement is rampant, egos are inflated, and when management has to do the menial tasks of their subordinates, they pat each other on the back as if they cured cancer or something.

In a single year I saw 2 rounds of layoffs, these included people who were super close to retiring, others had barely worked there for 6 months. I also saw upwards of 8 people quite under a single manager and never heard of that manager being disciplined whatsoever. This year's Christmas party for ground level employees was a pot luck while the managers and directors had a completely seperate holiday get together that was quite a bit more glamerous. Says a lot about a company the way they treat their employees, the culture here is super toxic.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management: Grow a spine and fire the people that keep screwing up or don't know what they're doing. Hiding behind the "people first" nonsense will leave you with mediocre talent producing lackluster results from overworked workers. There's too many good people out there looking for positions and capable of doing great things to settle for less.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I worked at The Sacramento Bee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base salary is descent. Location is nice.

Cons

High turnover. The management would rather fire people than invest time in training. I've got news for management, that never works. Hiring new people will not bring results. You may have a new Rep do well for a few months but then it's all the same and you're ready to give them the boot.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with your employees. Stop spending all your time building presentations, leave that to sales assistants. Stop micromanaging through CRM. Instead train your people! Stop firing people and hiring new ones only to fire them. No one will want to work there because of the high turnover!

8. "Manager"

I worked at The Sacramento Bee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits provided to employees.

Cons

The Bee used to be a great place to work. It cared about its employees and was committed to journalist excellence. It provided great benefits to employees. Now, it is all about the bottom line and people are leaving or are forced to leave in droves.

Advice to Management

You're not as good as you think you are.

"If only McClatchy would get out of the way"

I have been working at The Sacramento Bee (More than a year)

Pros

The people. They're smart, talented and show up every day to do great work and great journalism.

Cons

McClatchy has been systematically making cuts — to the staff, the paper itself and so on — for years. This is true at many publications, but it often seems that an order will come down from on high and catch even upper management at the Bee off guard.

Advice to Management

In a time where 'alternative facts' are becoming increasingly mainstream, journalism and journalists are more important than ever. Invest in them.

"Advertising Department"

I worked at The Sacramento Bee full-time

Pros

Solid amount of PTO.
    Freedom to try new things and be creative
    Employees and mid level managers do their best and are fun, genuine people.

Cons

If your pay is dependent on bonuses, don't count on it because it's rare.
    Health benefits that are expensive with a very high deductible.
    No 401k match.
    Company-wide wage freeze since Dec 2016.
    Advertising department is trying to sell digital products that, collectively, they barely understand.
    There is no role clarity or chain of command and no accountability for responsibilities - things constantly go wrong and then they spend hours trying to figure out why.
    Most of senior leadership has only been with the company 1-2 years and they are still trying to figure out how to run a business.

Advice to Management

The lack of time management and overall inefficiency is suffocating the company. Try a top down approach.