The Salem Group Reviews | Glassdoor

The Salem Group President and CEO Dori Lorenz
Dori Lorenz

1. "Administrative Support"

I worked at The Salem Group part-time

Pros

Best Staff and Caring management

Cons

Nothing that ever came up in my experience working there

2. "When you feel like family, you feel at home"

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time

Pros

The Salem Group is a great mid-size company to work for. The owners really care about their employees and seeing them succeed and they really make you feel like family. In fact, that sentiment is felt throughout the branches as well. There's always an open door policy, whether it be with the owners, which is unheard of in any company, or any member of the leadership team. I also love that they celebrate everyone's various talents whether it be in music, writing or photography.

Cons

Every company has their faults, however The Salem Group is good at recognizing those faults and is always finding ways to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and engage with your employees and continue to further training and development.

3. "Staffing Coordinator"

I worked at The Salem Group full-time

Pros

- able to challenge yourself and do client visits
    - great entry level experience
    - some of the employees are great and really care about you

Cons

Too many bad and horrifying experiences. Being in staffing you have good days and bad days but pray your location never has trouble with numbers. If so, you'll hear it from management and treat you like garbage. They will put you down embarrass you in front of everyone. Its a hostile working environment. You cant leave your desk to go to the bathroom or the calls will go to Corporate. You couldn't go out for a 1 hour lunch unless someone was able to take the calls. They keep the place understaffed with only 1 manager and 1 coordinator but expect more from coordinator. No clear job description.

A lot of organization are allowing employees to be flexible and work remote. Its nonsense that no matter what the weater condition is you still have to go in to answer calls for other contractors off that are calling off.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to be free and not have them caged in. It's mentally draining to not have a work life balance or not allowing flexibility with schedules. If your staff is not happy then they can't sell the position.

Jan 10, 2017 – Staffing Operations & Development Manager

We are deeply sorry that you felt your experience with Salem was not positive, as that is something we strive for across the board. As the Operations Manager for Salem, my first initiative is to ... More

5. "Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere - I love the people I work with!

Cons

Nothing really - I love the direction the company is headed!

Advice to Management

Continue to promote a healthy corporate culture of accountability and responsibility!

6. "Working for the best!"

Current Employee - Director of Corporate Staffing in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Corporate Staffing in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time

Pros

The entire leadership team of The Salem Group is the best of the best. Anyone can proclaim to be "the best in the industry" but it takes committed and caring Executive leadership to build a legacy and teams of people and empower each to lead in their areas of strength. This is what I've found since joining the family we call The Salem Group.

Cons

If there are any, which I highly doubt, I certainly haven't found them.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead like the incredible people you are! Thank you for setting the bar for us all.

May 31, 2016

We echo your sentiments and believe our Executive leadership to be the cream of the crop!

7. "Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great communication with employees and they try to keep you working

Cons

No pay increase no matter how long the assignment is

May 31, 2016

Thank you so much for the review! We value our assignment employees and do our best to not only find great assignments for them, but keep them working. We aim to keep our employees happy and invite ... More

8. "In the top 2% of all staffing companies for a reason!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's like a second family. Very open and collaborative work environment. Excellent opportunities for career growth. Truly, a place to plant your roots and work until retirement.

Cons

There's no ping pong table in the break area.

"Small Ball"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Nasty people-the managing director is spiteful and mean. Very unprofessional

Advice to Management

Group therapy

Feb 18, 2016

We are deeply sorry to hear how you feel about the management of The Salem Group. This is highly uncharacteristic of our staff, as we pride ourselves on being fair, kind and honest with all of our ... More

"paralegal, administrative assistant"

Current Employee - Coldwell Banker in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Coldwell Banker in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at The Salem Group (Less than a year)

Pros

The best people to work with!!!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons!

Advice to Management

I hope you will reward your employees at the Lincolnshire, IL office.
    They are the best!!!

Feb 18, 2016

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly appreciate our wonderful staff in our Lincolnshire office and are thrilled to hear that you feel the same way about them as we do.

11. "Outdated Brand and Marketing"

I worked at The Salem Group full-time

Pros

Great sales training. Great materials for learning and developing skill set.

Cons

Same president and CEO that started the company 35 years ago. They need to rebrand their logo and website to stay competitive and attractive. Getting attention from prospects is the name of the game. They need to understand people will be stand offish until they do their own research ONLINE and make a decision before even answering the phone or responding to an email. DIGITAL PRESENCE NEEDS TO BE CURRENT, ATTRACTIVE, AND INFORMATIONAL. There is a disconnect between senior leadership and the clients. This is all aside from their actual performance. A smaller firm needs to deliver at higher percentage than its larger competitors. However, their ability to attract better talent stems back to their DIGITAL PRESENCE. Candidates will also do their research on companies trying to recruit them. Only then will a firm be given somewhat of an open ear and open mind to the "talk game"

Advice to Management

Invest in the new website. Rebrand the logo and let the younger minds giver their marketing input. It's time to pass the torch to the next generation if you're serious about the company surviving.

Oct 7, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Business Development

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate candid communication from employees both current and former. We are proud of the sales training program that you mention, and we are delighted to share that ... More