The San Francisco Chronicle Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

2.3
Jeff Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Secure privately-held company with a great reputation in the SF Bay Area (in 5 reviews)

• good work/life balance- no late crazy hours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission structure flawed from the outset (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management refuses to take responsibility for their own poor decisions, passing the blame downward (in 3 reviews)

"Great coworkers, Poor management"

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great
    Coworkers are amazing (some)
    Pension is a rarity (though I dont think they offer this now)

Cons

So many middle managers that don't know what they are doing.
    People have the "not it" mentality. If it's not their job, they don't do it.
    People seem to work just to get by but aside from probably the editorial staff, there's no personal satisfaction from working there, no sense of ownership or full community.

Advice to Management

stop hiring middle managers that don't know anything. appreciate the people who the REAL work.

"Avoid at all costs if possible"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Support staff and ad ops are some of the best people you'll meet and work with.

Cons

Management and Sales in particular = incompetent and rely too heavily on personal relationships instead of professional. HR is down right evil and your enemy. The Union is toothless.

Advice to Management

Be human. Treat people well, not as if they're simple bodies.

3. "Started out great and then became a fiasco"

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and manageable amount of work.

Cons

I dealt with a person with microagression as I was training. It felt like I had to pull teeth in order to have the right information and not all people on the team were performing their job duties in the same manner. So when I had questions about a task I would get multiple conflicting answers. I also had hard time obtaining codes for billing software system and often were provided the cheat sheets after the launch of sales campaigns, which to me as a former manager was unforgivable because their actions led to my dismissal. I also requested a union steward and was not allowed to have a representative from the union when I was fired; a violation of the Weingarten Rights.

Advice to Management

The management needs to learn how to lead the team in a way that provides a consistently planned strategy. I get the California laid back approach to office environment, but that doesn't mean you should have a lack of well planned training or leave out details needed to complete tasks. A simple weekly 10 to 15 minute meeting would have everyone on the same page.

"Don't Bother"

Former Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Iconic brand name and that's it!

Cons

The most dysfunctional place I've ever worked in my life and 100% void of a positive company culture. There is no diversity in management what so ever!

Management functions like a clique of high school kids, watching out for each other and not their employees. They will tell you they are fighting hard for changes you'd like to see with commissions, only to be lied too. No chance for advancement, no matter what they tell you. Some managers have no concept of how to inspire a sales team, but can definitely break your spirit because of their own personal insecurities and ignorance of new products offered.

Sales manager's have lost their understanding of how to succeed in multimedia sales and are just the middle man in conveying number's to upper management. They are clueless to the changing industry cultures of clients and have no understanding of long-term relationships with clients. Clients complain of the constant changes in who they are working with next and joke about how long a rep will be on their business. They've seen the high turn over and question why this is happening.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the reason people have left, it usually starts with the managers and supervisors people report too. If you continue to turn a blind eye to the problem, you will never retain the hard working employees who at one time respected the company.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle (More than a year)

Pros

The only PRO would be the association with Hearst.

Cons

Worst company ever! If you prefer to work for a group of talentless, unimaginative, used car salesmen, then this is the place for you! At first glance, there seems to be massive opportunity once you consider the parent company being Hearst. However, this is the most cancerous, non-innovative business that's on a swift decline. It's quite sad this business based in the tech mecca refuses to hire smart creative leaders to grow the business. They appear to want individuals that are in their 50's to innovate the dying newspaper business and it's simply not happening. If you you want your days wasted galavanting neighborhood to neighborhood in search of that $250 print ad to get your uninformed, unintelligent, nefarious boss of your back, then you should definitely sign up here! Just know the ship is sinking, and they're all basically trying to reach retirement before it's sunk. Terrible culture with terrible people.

Advice to Management

Retire! Until then, hire smart, talented, creative people, and don't hold them back from transforming the business. You're in SF! Compete.

6. "Production Manager"

Former Employee - Production Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Production Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment; top tier management; great pay

Cons

Need to recognize more employees for contributions

Advice to Management

Invest in people as resources

7. "Scrappy newsroom with big ambition"

Former Employee - Web Producer/Digital Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Web Producer/Digital Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, visionary, woman EIC with a stable of amazing legacy journalists and good new writers. It's SF. So much news here. Most coveted Hearst paper which means it's highest in the pecking order for resources.

Cons

It's a Hearst newspaper, making it tough to get the green light for more resources. SF is expensive and salaries don't quite align with cost of living. Digital growth is stifled by classic org chart.

Advice to Management

Ink a deal with the Union to create new positions and eliminate others. Also, Digital Project Managers/Digital Directors should be accounted for in the org chart.

The San Francisco Chronicle Response

Nov 22, 2016 – HR Business Partner

Thanks for posting the review!

8. "I enjoyed working in Circulation Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management at all levels. They see your hard work, enthusiasm and proactive approach and are willing to match your professional interests with corresponding projects and pay accordingly. It was not hard to match my school schedule with work.

Cons

No parking. A lot needs to be done in any specific time period. You really have to be up and running at your max every day.

"Watch your back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Be apart of covering news in the SF and greater bay area. Kind folks outside of management

Cons

Career advancement doesn't exist here. Management isn't transparent and sneaky. Pay is below market. not much culture or set values.

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent. Work on communication

"so much potential"

I worked at The San Francisco Chronicle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with a great team of hard-working colleagues, terrific downtown location, parent company seems to be very supportive even as circulation continues to decline.

Cons

Declining subscriptions, revenue and influence continue to promote a panicked, paranoid atmosphere. Sfgate continues to be driven by clickbait while few viewers are aware of sfchronicle.com, where many staff stories languish behind a paywall.

Advice to Management

Streamline the vision and keep open lines of communication with the staff to build a team feeling. Do more to promote morale.