The San Jose Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The San Jose Group President & CCO George L San Jose
George L San Jose

Pros
  • Great location, easy access to CTA trains and busses (in 4 reviews)

• If you're desperate, it's something to put on your resume (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • There's never any real work, and you won't learn anything because there's not enough work for upper management to delegate (in 4 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work to be done, they are old school and believe you need to be there 9-5 to work (in 3 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive/Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The San Jose Group (Less than a year)

Pros

You can participate in some projects

Cons

However, some projects you just randomly jump in...

"RUN RUN the other way"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at The San Jose Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get your own office. I have to come up with more, Lord the location is not bad. Pretty kitchen and bathrooms

Cons

Everything else. There is absolutely no work to be done, they are old school and believe you need to be there 9-5 to work. There are no clients, no creative team. I am not sure how this company runs truly. Also, the positive feedback you see here is written by the CEO or interns he puts them up to do that shore

Advice to Management

Poor and micromanagers when there is no work to be done

"It's so so"

Pros

Very chill, not much pressure, it's really what you make out of it, if you want you can have a lot of responsibilities

Cons

very unstructured and seems like they just leave you there as free labor, won't learn much unless you take the initiative

Advice to Management

Listen to others' opinions and be more inclusive instead of just leaving the interns there hanging and doing nothing

"Good job experience/ resume builder"

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at The San Jose Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It depends on how much you are willing to commit to actually learning something. You won't get anything useful from playing on your phone all day.

If you actually use the available resources and talk to your supervisor, you will be faced with real-life professional situations in which (lets be honest) you probably would never be able to get in a paid position because you don't have the experience to get hired for one.

Give it your best, and take it as it is.

Cons

Management sometimes picks favorites and often seems to completely neglect the fact that there are people waiting around for them to provide tasks.

You won't get paid, but you knew that going into it.

Advice to Management

Spending less time and resources hiring unpaid interns may actually provide you with a greater return on investment. Not saying you should stop doing it completely; these jobs help out college students and recent grads get further. The thing is, wasting all of your time starting fresh and training every new hire is wasting your time which could be spent actually developing the most likely dying business.

"Internship Experience"

Pros

Good location and flexible scheduling. The head of HR is extremely helpful and very kind. Only good part about working in their office.

Cons

Have to beg for work and not a very welcoming environment. Ultimately not good enough experience to be getting paid nothing.

Advice to Management

Do not just hire interns just to have interns fill the office. Look very closely at what they will be doing and give them a specific project to work on.

"Have fun sitting around"

I have been working at The San Jose Group full-time

Pros

It's easy to get other work done here- check your personal email, play around on social media, etc.

Cons

There's absolutely no work to be done, I'm not sure how this place is still in business.

8. "Market Research"

I have been working at The San Jose Group full-time

Pros

The owner of the company has been a real pioneer in the field, from whom you can learn a lot. He's intelligent and creative, so that your experience working for him is an invaluable opportunity for professional enrichment.

Cons

Mid management seems unexperienced. It is reflected in losing clients, which erodes morale and consequently human talent is also lost very often. Stressful, as you always wonder whether you'd have a job next month.

Advice to Management

I think management would benefit from formal education on how to instill empowerment, manage situations and overall appreciation of team's capacities and efforts.

9. "Great Boutique Agency Experience"

I worked at The San Jose Group full-time

Pros

Intimate work environment, smart and talented team

Cons

Due to the small agency environment, senior leadership and management style can feel a bit bully-ish

10. "Account Services"

I worked at The San Jose Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location. Nice office. Very nice people to work with in the office.

Cons

A lot of the agency runs on interns. It can be great experience for a young professional to take on more responsibilities, but there probably needs to be more full-time structure.

"Vice President/Director Level - Single worst professional experience I've had"

Pros

I'm sorry. I honestly can't think of one simple thing I would classify as a "pro" within the agency. I suppose the kitchen area and your individual work area is above average.

Cons

I'm not a malicious person and honestly have never shared anything like this before. Something recently reminded me of my time working for George San Jose and thought this forum to be appropriate. I have worked in the ad agency industry for over 10 years and have met, worked for and befriended Principals (Owners) of agencies like this all over Chicago. There are so many things wrong with the way he runs his agency. (and to be clear.... he literally runs and micromanages every aspect of the agency) There literally is no staff other than maybe the 4 full time employees he has. the rest are 10-20 (no kidding) interns entering data for a summer. He tries to mentor this group with a once a week staff meeting but he is so far removed from the trends in the industry and how successful agencies are run, his efforts teach the young interns poor habits. He is operating in the very scary capacity of selling first and staffing second. There is no "creative" team or "Creative Director". He has absolutely no expertise within the digital space and the only stream of revenue I saw a possibility in was in utilizing his "global" San Jose Network (small, boutique agencies in places like South America) in possibly charging his client an extra 10% to put a billboard in Peru or something. Anyway, the portfolio is incredibly outdated which makes winning new business hard, no creative staff so execution is usually sub par and on top of everything, George honestly is not a kind person to have as a colleague. As mentioned, I've worked for all kinds of agency owners but this was an experience I can't even begin to express in regards to the just flat out rude and managing my fear type of approach. I had potential pieces of business who George wanted to speak with in which I immediately received a call with just how flat our rude George was on the phone.

Advice to Management

There is nothing to give because there is no management. My advice to George is to have a slice of humble pie and realize your shop is not relevant in the current marketplace. I'm sure the 70's and 80's were successful as you cornered the Hispanic market. I guess maybe merge with a more digital and/or relevant agency to energize your portfolio? Either way... very poor mistake on my end for staying as long as I did.