The San Luis Resort & Spa Reviews | Glassdoor

The San Luis Resort & Spa Reviews

Updated March 31, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great customer service learning experience"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Galveston, TX

I worked at The San Luis Resort & Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll talk to hundreds of guest on a daily basis, really helps you break out of your shell if you're an introvert. Also the largest restaurant and hotel chain in N.America I believe so there are many locations you can visit with friends and family on a discount. :)

Cons

The Hotel had some embarrassing issues with getting guest checked in on time. Check-in time was 4pm when I worked there and we wouldn't be able to get guest checked in until 8 or 9pm sometimes. Unacceptable when you're charging over $300 for your lower level rooms during peak season.

Advice to Management

Fix your check-in time consistency during summer season and you'll be the number one rated hotel in Galveston, not the Galvez or Tremont.

2. "Ok to work for temporary...not good for long term"

Current Employee - Estimator in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Estimator in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at The San Luis Resort & Spa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work here are the reason I stay. Not the management or owner. The employees are awesome to work with.

Cons

NO Standard Operating Procedures. Knee jerk reactions to problems instead of actually sitting down and finding a proper solution to a problem.

Advice to Management

Create and adhere to a Standard Operating Procedure for each position. Create a bonus program or something to keep employees from leaving.

"Great Company to work for as a summer intern"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Galveston, TX
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Galveston, TX

I worked at The San Luis Resort & Spa as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for especially during the tourist season. The company offers great benefits and perks. Great opportunity to meet all kinds of people from all over the world who stay at the resort.

Cons

A little bit slow during off season, but there is always something to do at the resort. Departments may be a bit understaffed during the peak season, but management does its best to help out during these periods.

Advice to Management

Have a clearer summer intern training policy so the interns can learn more about the inner working of the hotel.

4. "Not open to any change"

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Galveston, TX

I worked at The San Luis Resort & Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HR department is well maintained, food service, disaster avoidance

Cons

everything--- leadership, management, operations, housekeeping

Advice to Management

Follow through with actions, words are pretty but won't keep employees happy.

5. "I expected more out of the experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX

Pros

it's clean, most staff are friendly, the GM is a great guy, nice sense of community and closeness among staff, good benefits.

Cons

building is old and needs updating, the compensation could have been better, only one service elevator when there is three guest elevators, back of the house is extremely messy.

Advice to Management

Would have enjoyed a little more empowerment from management, more feedback on job performance, general manager is a great leader as well as the rest of his staff.

6. "Good place to work on a small island"

I have been working at The San Luis Resort & Spa full-time

Pros

Good, Stable company that continues to grow

Cons

Not much advancement unless people quit or get terminated

Advice to Management

Give the people under you more respect because without them you wouldn't be able to continue doing what you need to do to keep the business going.

7. "Deceiving"

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at The San Luis Resort & Spa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed SOME of the people I worked with.

Cons

I recently started in the front office at the hotel and was excited about learning this new industry. Slowly one day at a time my excitement dwindled into anxiety and honestly fear. I dreaded going to work because one of my supervisors openly berated and made fun of me to other co workers, in the office and else where. I felt I was given no strong training and as a new employee I fet like I was set up for failure. Instead of coaching me the supervisor either yelled or took over so I couldn't learn anything. I couldn't talk to our boss because I felt like I had voiced my uneasiness at work and still nothing changed. There is clearly no room for growth because I always felt like an outsider not part of a team.

Advice to Management

Have people in supervisory roles who actually lead and coach new employees and have people skills.

8. "In room dining"

I worked at The San Luis Resort & Spa full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. You make really good money during the summer months.

Cons

During the winter months you would be lucky to make ends meet some months. You had to share tips which was horrible.

9. "Okay job... You are working for Fertita so don't expect much for raises."

Pros

Excellent environment and excellent people to work with for the most part. Lots of great scenery.

Cons

Slow promotional progression for you career. Pay is not that great but if you stick it out I am sure you will get somewhere.

Advice to Management

If it wasn't a private company I would say replace Fertita.

10. "Fun job experience and a great summer job for college girls."

Pros

Great tips from the guests for the most part.

Cons

Bad management and will over work you.