The School District of Escambia County Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Former teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at The School District of Escambia County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Warrington has a diverse and dedicated faculty. I truly loved working with them. The administration is straight-forward and supportive.

Cons

As is the case with many schools, it was difficult to keep up with new technology standards due to insufficient labs, etc..

2. "Professional"

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, everyone is professional.

Cons

Have no control of wages

3. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Pensacola, FL

I worked at The School District of Escambia County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with the employees, and the children.

Cons

All of my students were on different levels that made the job a little difficult at times.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed the many years that I was with the Distict

4. "School Technology Coordinators turnover is high, lots of politics and nepotism affecting the job."

Former Employee - School Technology Coordinator in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - School Technology Coordinator in Pensacola, FL

I worked at The School District of Escambia County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays and some summer time off, good vision benefits, PTO program is fair, lots of training and networking opportunities for techs. Some level 1-3 IT support at the district level. Some Principals are amazing to work for, very humorous and reasonable.

Cons

Dental is reimbursement based with some coverage but not as good as just about every other employer I have ever had? High deductibles on even the best health insurance but they have a free or low cost clinic just for ECSD employees to offset this. Position was paid once a month so you can work for a full month before you see a first paycheck if you start at the first of the month. I did a full day of training in July unpaid last year, which is probably illegal. Do not expect any loyalty or rewarding for any overtime you put in:
     I worked 50-60 hour weeks for 5 months and not a single existing tech was offered a better job that opened up at one site, it was given to a kid with no experience coming in from the outside. District IT was authoritarian and inconsistent, and would accuse techs of doing things without proof (check the audit logs), even with 8 different techs quitting, retiring, or switching over to teaching jobs in a one year period. The turnover is quite high in these positions as the workload and stress were fairly high. These jobs are a good crash course for young techs to try their hand at and learn customer service. Customer service for teachers and student users was excessive with some teachers fearful of technology changes and some students trashing the equipment, which was issued without basic lock-downs and a district plan for issue. Security is only now being developed within the district. I found a lot of anti-virus software mis-configured or not even turned on. Lots of clean up work is needed.

Advice to Management

Start limiting the hiring of family and extended family at the schools, these relationships are leading to abuses of tech roles and affect their ability to do their jobs (which should not include repairing employee's personal property). Invest in Microsoft AD so critical security patches can be installed monthly or as needed and not 1-2 times a year and without having to completely erase a computer to do so. Install antivirus already configured to scan by default, I found many installations not configured to scan at all. Require your schools to have at least one office for techs so they can perform the high volume of repair work on the Chromebooks that are needed now. Include training for all administrators that reminds them of non-insured student contact roles and lack of union representation for techs that are no longer instructional employees. To ignore this ongoing issue will put the district at risk of lawsuits or audit non-compliance. Require the schools to provide cell phones to their Techs if they want staff to contact them that way. I would not give out my personal number after observing some really inappropriate behaviors that gave rise to concern about some of these faculty or staff having my personal contact info outside of work. Some of them were pretty oblivious as to what constituted professional behavior on the job, let alone socially.

5. "Subbing In Escambia County"

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County part-time

Pros

Most of the faculty at all schools are caring, focused and hardworking. There are several high schools that are impressive and are focused on learning gains.

Cons

Pay is not good. Benefits are below average. Discipline is a real issue at some schools.

Advice to Management

Don't get side tracked, everyday should be about making learning gains. Also, there needs to be more consistency rules and expectations. Teachers often have different policy's and it confuses kids.

6. "Teacher and Educational Outreach coordinator"

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County full-time

Pros

Collaborative teams, great professional development

Cons

Sudden changes in district policies

7. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In my experience, District Level and Administrative Staff are very supportive.Training opportunities are abundant.

Cons

The pay is low and the bonuses are too.

8. "food service"

I have been working at The School District of Escambia County full-time

Pros

they are okay, its a job

Cons

its a job early in and off

9. "Teaching in Escambia schools"

Former Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Pensacola, FL

I worked at The School District of Escambia County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance.
    Lots of time off during holidays and summer.

Cons

Non supportive administration. if you want to move up or get hired, you must know people.
    Administration tries too hard to please misbehaving students and their parents.

10. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher

Pros

Being able to have summers and weekends with my own children
    Great team of teachers at my school!
    Great technology initiative

Cons

Terrible pay for the profession
    They changed the library to "innovation stations" (which became an extended play center for students) & our media specialist lost valuable instruction time with our children

Advice to Management

Look at what other counties are doing to see how you could better Escambia..