The Select Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Sheldon Wolitski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The overall company culture is fun and goal oriented (in 8 reviews)

• I really liked the fast-paced environment as it made it exciting one I got used to it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It was very difficult to get clear timelines and guidance on career growth after the typical AAM to Account Manager career path (in 12 reviews)

• The work/ life balance is despicable (in 5 reviews)

1. "Happy with TSG"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at The Select Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, training, team environment. Accountability is tough but fair

Cons

Stopping sales conference but that was probably not worth the money, even though it was a fun time.

Advice to Management

Open more new branches! Give folks a chance to move and spread the culture.

"truth"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Select Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for TSG for over 3 years and have truly seen a vast amount of positive change throughout the company. For an industry that traditionally looks to hire the majority of employees who are recent grads just starting their career, you truly have the opportunity to create your own success.

With that said, success is hard work and you see many employees either rise to the occasion or fall to the wayside, but the beauty of this is that the true hard workers really do get rewarded for their dedication.

I've seen someone promoted multiple times in a year because of their hard-work, dedication, and aptitude. Its a beautiful thing to watch and be a part of because age really doesn't matter when it comes to moving up in the company, results do!

I love that change is something that is viewed as a norm at TSG. We say, the only thing constant is change, and this is true for every aspect of the company.

With all the growth opportunity in the office, the real thing that has kept me with this company for as long as I have is the people. The people I work with have helped me so much in my professional as well as personal development and I am so grateful that I get to work for a company that really does care! The people I work with I consider my real friends and I am so happy I made the decision to work for this team in SD!

Cons

Not a con by any means, but a word to the wise:

This company is definitely not for those who are looking to coast. You have to be willing to put in the hard work to justify success/promotions. Just tenure alone doesn't result in promotions, you really have to have the results and innate hard-working nature to be successful. I love working for this company and I can say that there won't be cons to the job if you work hard and have a "team" related mentality!

Advice to Management

Continue doing what your doing! My experience has been that my management has always been looking to get better in every way and I recommend to continue down that path! Continue to bring people with you and build up those who are around you!

Oh and it wouldn't hurt to have the option to work remote ;)

Nov 3, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

At TSG High Performance = success and opportunity. Hard work and a willingness to be coached and to learn are the keys to success. We believe in our teams and our culture, and we appreciate you being... More

"San Jose - Great Place to Start Your Career!"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Select Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Select Group is one of the best places to start your career.

You will learn a work ethic and level of professionalism that you didn't know existed, and will feel miles ahead of your peers in these areas after a short time working here. On top of that, you will have an incredible opportunity to learn how businesses and hiring managers think, and how the technology space works. Even if you don't stay for long, you will never think about interviewing or searching for jobs the same way ever again.

The career growth and compensation opportunities are exceptional. This is one of the few companies out there that you can go from an entry-level salary to 6-figures and beyond in the span of a year or two. TSG seeks to promote quickly and often, though you do have to work for it and be good.

The culture is unrivaled - you will not find a more supportive group of people who are as invested in your personal/professional development. It is a young, high-energy team that works very hard but also likes to have a lot of fun.

Cons

With great opportunity comes hard work and competition. TSG employees are an elite group of people and no matter how much you've won in your previous life or how good you think you are, you're going to struggle in the beginning. A lot.

To get ahead, you have to put in a lot of hours, be constantly learning, and you don't have the luxury of coasting through days when you're tired or feeling fed up. You have to be "on" all the time. Most people at TSG thrive on this, though at times it can be exhausting, and temporary burn-out is definitely something people deal with from time-to-time. With that being said, most people who work here would tell you it's definitely worth it!

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at The Select Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company culture. Family oriented environment where everyone is here to help. It is a collaborative atmosphere in the office and great for young proffesionals

Opportunity is amazing as well. It is a growing company with the chance to create leadership positions early in ones career. The fact that you can run your own branch by 26 years old or make well over 100K is unheard of.

Cons

if anything it sometimes is not a 40 hour week. Depends on how well you utilize your time 8-5

Nov 1, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for being a part of TSG!

5. "Recruiter"

Pros

Fun work Environment, great people

Cons

Long Hours, high stress environment

Advice to Management

Allow for more flexible schedules

Nov 6, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

Thank you from TSG!

"Cool place"

I worked at The Select Group full-time

Pros

A lot of really nice people/cool environment. Great managers

Cons

Hard to concentrate on the environment

Nov 6, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

Thank you!

7. "Account Manager"

I worked at The Select Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free food
    - nice co-workers
    - free beer on Thursdays
    - the CEO is a genuine, nice guy

Cons

Where to begin...
    When you start, you are told that you are going to be given so much opportunity, have world class training. and make great money. They make you drink the kool-aid, and if you don't drink the kool-aid, you are slowly pushed out.
    The hours get a little bit taxing, as they are formally 7:45am-5:00pm. However, if you arrive at 7:45, instead of at 7:30, you are given dirty looks. Same goes for 5pm. The widely accepted informal hours are really 7:30-6pm. This causes skewed work-life balance.
    There is a lot of talk around "customer experience", "consultant experience" and "employee experience" but you learn that this is just lip-service for their marketing campaigns, and none of it is true.
    They set a lot of people up for failure, rather than just letting them go.
    They started this new initiative right before I left, where they would hire recruiters and give them 5 months to get ramped up to be an Account Manager. If this person failed to complete the milestones (which are aggressive) or they did not feel ready, they would let them go. They do not tell the candidates up front about this.
    Stay far away from this company. It will beat you down, and cause you to be a jaded salesperson.

Nov 2, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

Compared to all of our peers, TSG spends far more on professional and personal development for our employees. It is a differentiator, and the options for training and development are many - women in... More

8. "Great company to work for !!!"

I have been working at The Select Group full-time

Pros

Great place and environment! Be ready to work!

Cons

No cons for this company!

Oct 23, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

Thank you for being a part of TSG!

"Unique Opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The Select Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you've already joined the company or will be in the next couple of years, you've got an incredible opportunity to advance within the company, make great money, and setup up your retirement via their private stock plan. Fun culture. Great place if you thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires you to multi-task, switch gears, and utilize time management skills. Have to be resilient and have the ability to bounce back from adversity.

Cons

You don't always have full control of your sales - but I guess that's just sales! To be a branch manager you need to be able to move to another city.

Advice to Management

You have the right people on the Executive Team now.

Sep 6, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for being part of the TSG team!

10. "Leadership Development"

Current Employee - Regional Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Select Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, career growth opportunities and leadership development.

The select group is in rapid growth mode and is continually investing in their people. They do an amazing job helping people bring out the best in themselves.

Cons

No feedback at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep a focus on scaling the culture as you rapidly scale the business.

Aug 21, 2017 – Chief Experience Officer

Thanks for the input! Our entire Executive Leadership team is all-in on making sure the TSG culture is positive and attracts top performers to all our teams. We recently announced the next cohort of... More