The ServInt Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
The ServInt Corporation CEO Reed Caldwell
Reed Caldwell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "An Opportunity to Make Change"

I have been working at The ServInt Corporation full-time

Pros

ServInt is looking for people who are interested in trying new things and helping to reinvent the company. If you thrive on the challenge of being a part of change, it is a great place to expand your skills and experience. And, if you are energized by exploring new technology or working to identify technology solutions for clients, you will fit right in.

Cons

The dynamic environment might prove challenging if you are looking for a well-defined, static position. However, if you can handle an evolving environment, you will find that you have the opportunity to influence the future of a changing company.

2. "Sales Representative/Account Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at The ServInt Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small Company, Very centralized target audience.

Cons

Unqualified Mgmnt and C-Level staff, not very tied into any specified future business trajectory,

Advice to Management

My experience with the company and staff was very unpleasant. I have come across people here and there that have been associated with them and the vibe is very common across the board. Dwindling customer base, very loose ends approach, I would say in another 2 years the doors will be closed for sure. I've seen recent job postings which I'm sure indicate a desperate attempt from a slowly sinking ship. Its a shame that today's market place reflects such a strong lack of integrity and morally sound platform, a true example of great countries lack of sustainability, People lets make America great again....

3. "Great company to start your career"

Pros

The training program is top notch. This is a great company to get your foot into the door of IT. You will learn a lot here if you are just beginning your career.

Cons

Pay is not commensurate with experience or skill. Not much opportunity for advancement. They have been going through layoffs and have let go of many good people.

Advice to Management

The restructuring of the company went against the core values of Servint. I was upset to hear about it and hope things can turn around for the better.

"It's Over"

Former Employee - Director of MST in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Director of MST in Reston, VA

I worked at The ServInt Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do not believe they will be hiring anyone else at his time.

Cons

The owner finally saw the writing on the wall. The COO that destroyed the company has been terminated. Unfortunately, in the process, the company has outsourced sales and support. The product strategy is dead and there is no hope for turn-around.

Advice to Management

With the announcement of Amazon Lighsail and the changes in the hosting industry that are leading towards more microservices, serverless tech and utility based computing I do not believe that a turn around is possible. The only possible hope would be to invest heavily in the resale of AWS and build a value proposition, in the form of managed services, on top of it. With that said this would be a monumental task given all of the company talent is gone.

5. "What a debacle."

Former Employee - MST - Escalated in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - MST - Escalated in Reston, VA

I worked at The ServInt Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good learning opportunity, at least initially.

Cons

Management, low salary, no growth opportunity. In the last two years, the company has lost the vast majority of the support and management team, due to the radical changes implemented by a new COO, who has made a complete mess of the company and chased away some really good people. The customer support focus and structure has been upended - which has in-turn ruined ServInts reputation in the hosting community. The company is now only interested in the bottom-line. If you are a current employee, or someone interested in applying to work for this company, my advice would be to run as fast as you can in another direction.

Advice to Management

Start over again - think about what made ServInt great in the past, and dump the new COO.

"Get Out Now"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Most of the people employed at ServInt are great people, the exception being the COO. He's jokes about firing people amidst wave after wave of layoffs.

Cons

ServInt has been struggling for awhile now and brought in a new COO to try and right the ship. At first things seemed to be going well. New projects were in the works and people were following through, things seemed promising. The real problems started because the COO never successfully grasped what it was the company did and what the value the customers saw in ServInt.

He began trying to change the culture, and there was room for improvement, but he went about it entirely wrong. Instead of trying to motivate employees he began laying people off and taking away fringe benefits. I am sure some of them were for budgetary reasons, but a business casual dress code was implemented on a workforce that was not customer facing. All moral activities were stopped. No company picnics, no potlucks, no events of any kind.

The COO did hire a new department head for support, who had experience revamping the way companies handle support, a perfect fit. However, he then road blocked every effort put forth. He also would not provide concrete feedback and would not listen to explanations once he made up his mind. He would also joke about firing people during waves of layoffs and threaten to fire people.

ServInt provided infrastructure at a slightly higher price than their competition, but essentially included best effort support for everything, which made the higher price tag worth it. It wasn't a sustainable solution and was part of the reason ServInt was struggling. The proposed new services offering was going to grandfather existing customers to minimize impact. However, it was decided that no one was going to be grandfathered and essentially everyone now got no support unless they paid for it. The customers were not happy. The employees were not happy. No one was happy.

Advice to Management

I don't know, it may too late. The ServInt brand is now considered garbage on most hosting industry sites. ServInt wants to sell professional services, but there is no staff left and who is going to buy professional services from a company with a poor reputation?

7. "Old ServInt is dead, new ServInt is a ship on the bottom of the ocean"

Former Employee - Mst
    Former Employee - Mst

Pros

Great experience for new administrators! Very easy to get hired and work load was easy - back in 2014. Co-Workers make the MST. The MST is always popping off with hijinks and good times.

Cons

The rest of the company can be a bit of a stick in the mud compared to the MST. The new COO has stopped the current model of VPS and switching to professional services however he has used fear tactics and shotgun terminations to remove older techs and even those he has hired for the changes. He is the sole reason the MST has lost all its morale and is a tyrant in the office.

Advice to Management

Dump the COO. Get back some quality techs and middle management to handle the professional services switch over. Run some kind of PR program, the ServInt name is in the toilet all over the web. The MST has been cut in half and with no good reason - we know you want to replace us with near-shore techs grow some courage and tell it to our faces. Learning about these changes from spilt tea and other co-workers is not how to do these types of large changes.

AGAIN DUMP THE COO, he is clueless as to how the old model worked and seems to be driving the company into the ground with moving to Professional Services.

Spend the time and money to upgrade the infrastructure and the employees. Give the MST (80% of the company) more than a second thought when you start making changes.

8. "Sales"

Pros

Great company environment. Sales team was a lot of fun.

Cons

At the time the company didn't have the infrastructure they lead us to believe. They were definitely growing but just were not able to keep up with how much we were selling.

"The Old ServInt Is Gone"

I worked at The ServInt Corporation full-time

Pros

Mostly good people, decent benefits, challenging work

Cons

The old ServInt that everyone talks about is dead & gone. At one point, it seems that ServInt had a start-up feel to it, with a relaxed environment, mediocre wages, and a tight-knit and core group of people. The company is transitioning into a much more corporate environment, and most of the magic is gone. Not sure why this is happening but maybe they are merging, selling, or something else.

Advice to Management

Maybe go back to your roots or people will continue leaving the company for more money and a better environment with growth potential

"Greatness turned into pain and madness"

I worked at The ServInt Corporation full-time

Pros

Easy to get hired. If you just graduated from the DC area and you’re having trouble landing your 1st job this isn’t such a bad deal. Learn some linux administration and get your feet wet dealing with tech support. Not a bad resume builder. The pay is nothing to write home about but it’s a real job with full benefits. The work life balance is ok too.

Cons

It’s so hard to sum this up in less than a dozen paragraphs but I’ll try. 1ST > Don’t ever expect a decent raise or recognition for hard work. This company doesn’t understand the concept. Tough to make a career here. Industry wise the pay becomes a joke pretty fast. 2ND > Communication is terrible and can make your job very frustrating. I will give the company 1 pt of credit for seeming to realize this. Problem is it seems the claim of trying to improve communication is being used as an excuse for new management to just do whatever they feel like. 3RD and worst of all > servint is being turned upside down and all around. No point in being coy or beating around the bush here. Anybody paying a little attention on the job the last yr can put the pieces together. The CEO built a successful company but then handed day to day management off to others years ago. He got so caught up living the good life that he couldn’t even see how lazy and arrogant many in upper management had become. Not all but many. 2015 rolls around and servint finally realizes theyre in a serious financial pickle. They hire a new COO supposed to be an expert in the field and turn everything around. Sounds like a bright idea but the new COO starts taking a shotgun approach to every dept. Many great and awful employees are fired side by side leaving a trail of fear. Many of his decisions seem out of touch with reality of the industry he's supposed to be an expert in. New pricing and policy is put out with nothing much to support how it will be fair or good for servint clients. Some employee advice is listended to but much of it ignored. Whats ignored often comes back to bite us and we have to deal with furious clients. Not exactly the company savior that makes clients or employees feel warm and fuzzy.

Advice to Management

This used to be a place where most liked coming to work. Youve lost that and its not seeming that you care to fix it. Ok so servint itself might endure. Not the first time its made a comeback. But if you want it to be the last near death experience start listening and caring to what your peons have to say. By caring I mean stop letting our advice go in one ear and out the other. We deal with the clients and many of us stay current on the industry. We care. We understand what goes on. If you don’t care you better start. You’ve already lost so many good people over the last few years that could have helped you turn things around if only someone had made the effort to really listen. Ironic that you dumped some of those who cared the most. Time to search deep inside Mr CEO. Think back to why you started servint in the first place and get back to those roots. You have a disaster to fix before you can sell it.