The Shade Store Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for a family owned business comes through at The Shade Store (in 6 reviews)

• Causal yet professional work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They are trying to find a perfect fit for both the company as well as the other design consultants you would be working with (in 5 reviews)

• Less than desirable work-life balance (in 2 reviews)

"Very Happy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time

Pros

I'm really enjoying working at the Port Chester office. The hiring process was thorough but I think it worked out well as far as it being a fit for the company and myself. That was important to me because my last company was the opposite. Overall I'm happy with my choice and there are some nice perks here.

Cons

The days are longer than expected

"Custom Made Simple"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Shade Store has the most beautiful products and showrooms, great work environment, short turnaround times in production. Excellent company support from corporate, with direct access to members of all departments in real time. Team efforts are rewarded with monthly bonuses. Pay is above average.

Cons

Less than desirable work-life balance. Weekends. Disconnect between design consultants to measure and installer pros to production to final outcome.

Advice to Management

Should not need to take personal time off for sick days.

"Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Design Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Consultant

I worked at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company founders are very passionate and have strong company values. They have grand goals for the company's growth. Strong support of the showrooms from headquarters.

Cons

I've observed customer profiling in the showroom by some design consultants on a regular basis, even though it is against company policy. These employees don't want to "waste time" on people who they believe can't afford our window treatments because "they're not our customer". It was very uncomfortable watching these employees google addresses of the customers to gauge how much time and effort we should spend/waste. If you don't look wealthy or have an expensive home, then these design consultants may decide you're not worth their trouble.

Only 6 paid holidays a year. 10 PTO days total: includes vacation and sick time combined. You have to work out your days off with co-workers before getting approval from headquarters. Can be challenging if your co-workers are unreasonable or inflexible.

This was not a creative design position. This is a SALES position with commission and bonus incentives. The company structure is flat (they do explain this to you) ... all 200+ Design Consultants report to VP of Sales.

Advice to Management

Visit the showrooms and observe the design consultants to make sure there is no profiling going on. Make sure that the team members are communicating with each other and assigning showroom responsibilities among the team fairly. In my observances, via emails and phone calls, the employees will generally tell you what you want to hear. Visit the showrooms unannounced and regularly.

The Shade Store Response

Nov 22, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Please know, as a third generation family business, we have built our business and reputation based on how we treat people. We greatly value, appreciate, and respect each... More

4. "Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture that truly has a genuine focus on the employee experience and the customer experience. There is a very detailed and deliberate structure which offers you many people to contact for support. The Designers work together to run each showroom and they make decisions as a team. There is genuine innovation and the company is always looking to try new things. Communication is welcome at all levels of the Company

Cons

Hard to reach the bonus in a new showroom with inconsistent traffic patterns.
    Negotiate the right salary up front so you will be comfortable financially.

Advice to Management

Thank you for sharing so much honest feedback, updates and information with each of us. The culture is true and genuine and I love working and representing The Shade Store

5. "The Shade Store is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Port Chester, NY
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Port Chester, NY

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful staff, comfortable work environment, fast paced workday, small but rapidly growing company.

Cons

None to speak of really. A busy workday may be a con to some.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great work. We appreciate your transparency and willingness to jump in and help with projects, questions and concerns.

"Design Consultant"

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Support - Fantastic Team Environment - Good Pay - Great Exclusive Products - Family Owned - Good Work Life Balance

Cons

The work doesn't stop. If you want a slow environment don't work for TSS. Company growth constantly and marketing pushing clients constantly. Great for income - not fantastic for slow paced work.

Advice to Management

None - really fantastic support.

"Empty promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY

I worked at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast and sometimes lunch.

Cons

Too many Chiefs; inexperienced low level management and lots of empty promises form higher level ones.

Advice to Management

Be honest. I was promised certain things if I did certain things and no one doubted that I did my end of the bargain btu was let go because of issues before i got there with the department they assigned me to after the fact. Basically I was let go because of bad decisions made before I got there. I was hired as manager but never allowed to lead at all. I was quite simply railroaded.

8. "Design Consultant"

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial, fast paced, creative.....people friendly environment.....we care for our customers

Cons

Working weekends, but with planning a Saturday off is attainable..

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff....

9. "Design Consultant"

I worked at The Shade Store full-time

Pros

Good pay for a retail position.

Cons

Working week-ends and holidays.

10. "So impressed!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TSS is a fast growing company that has great leadership throughout. They really get it and value its people and respect you as an individual. Love the company culture and team oriented environment. It feels like a partnership and you get to have one-on-one with the owners from the beginning which helps you understand the roots of the company. You feel like your a part of the bigger picture and get excited to work towards that knowing you'll be rewarded for your effort.

Cons

The retail hours can be challenging, but having a set schedule and being able to work with your team to accommodate special events are helpful. You get the sense TSS cares about work life balance ultimately within reason, so it's ok.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!