The Shade Store Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Working for a family owned business comes through at The Shade Store (in 6 reviews)

• It's a growing company, one that mixes that energy of a startup with the friendliness of a family-run business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Design Consultants are salaried but it is a retail job and you are required to work weekends (in 3 reviews)

• We are a rapidly growing company and sometimes growing pains are felt (in 3 reviews)

1. "Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Support - Fantastic Team Environment - Good Pay - Great Exclusive Products - Family Owned - Good Work Life Balance

Cons

The work doesn't stop. If you want a slow environment don't work for TSS. Company growth constantly and marketing pushing clients constantly. Great for income - not fantastic for slow paced work.

Advice to Management

None - really fantastic support.

"Empty promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY

I worked at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast and sometimes lunch.

Cons

Too many Chiefs; inexperienced low level management and lots of empty promises form higher level ones.

Advice to Management

Be honest. I was promised certain things if I did certain things and no one doubted that I did my end of the bargain btu was let go because of issues before i got there with the department they assigned me to after the fact. Basically I was let go because of bad decisions made before I got there. I was hired as manager but never allowed to lead at all. I was quite simply railroaded.

"Company Focused on Personal Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY

Pros

CEO and rest of management are focused on your personal growth & cultivating relationships with the employees, a fact that hasn't changed as the company has grown over the years.

Cons

Commute -- Hard to work here and live in NYC, but the pros outweigh the cons

"Wake Up Wanting to Work"

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company of professional, skilled and caring management and individual team members. The focus is decidedly on the customer with genuine care and consideration for each and every employee. I have only been here a month, but I have been made to feel welcome, valued and invested in by my team in particular and the other teams within the company.

Cons

None that I have experienced

Advice to Management

Adam's meeting with new employees was inspiring, directional, personal l and motivating, and I see that continued in my short tenure here among the team members. I have experienced smaller companies lose that as they grow. I can those atributes are what defines The Shade Store. Keep it up. Well done.

"Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Port Chester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Port Chester, NY

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide room for advancement! Give great perks. Make custom products. They are beautiful pieces! Can be proud to say that you'd be blown away by the quality of product you receive.

Cons

Managers are not the best. Core values aren't what I'd expect from a place that's "family oriented"! I'm not sure if everyone is on the same page here.

Advice to Management

If someone has given you respect then give it back!

"Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great opportunity to work for company committed to excellence! Solid product offering, exceptional customer service. Quality people, training, salary and benefit package

Cons

Would have liked to have had more PTO days

Advice to Management

Would love to see more outbound/outside selling opportunities

"TSS Where have you been all my life!"

Current Employee - Senior Design Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family owned company, REAL core values as to the way they treat employees with respect and trust. Everyone works hard to ensure a great customer experience and we have all the necessary tools provided to make that happen. We are encouraged to work hard, have fun in an energetic showroom atmosphere without managers watching close by..... I love the showroom team atmosphere and actually miss going into work on my days off. Scheduling is very reasonable, 2 days off in a row with week to week consistency. Great place to work!!!

Cons

I honestly cannot say there is a Con - but it would be nice to have separate personal days from vacation.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing...your focus is in the right direction. Keep the national calls coming as it's a great way that I feel connected.

"Fast growing but still family oriented!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for The Shade Store. They work hard to take care of their employees and make a fast growing and large company feel personal. They are receptive to feedback.

Cons

Design Consultants are salaried but it is a retail job and you are required to work weekends. Sometimes the showrooms can feel removed from the perks of headquarters. Those are very small in the scope of working for a great company that cares about its employees!

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

The Shade Store is the best place I've ever worked. I ran my own business for over 10 years and feel like I still have ownership and control over my destiny. The company totally encourages an entrepreneurial approach and allows the freedom to run the showroom like it's your own business. At the same time, the owners always have our back. They are sharp, fun, inspiring and approachable at all times. They provide all the tools needed for success but expect excellence every day which is why getting a job here can be long and challenging. Never been so happy to come to work everyday.

Cons

When it comes down to it, this is a retail job and working every weekend and holidays is not fun. I wish they offered more PTO and broke it into sick and vacation days. Getting time off is not easy and has to be coordinated with co-workers in showrooms where staffing is lean.

Advice to Management

Stay the course! You guys are doing a fabulous job and we all appreciate what you do to make this a great place to work.

"Love the Shade Store experience!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Port Chester, NY

I have been working at The Shade Store (More than a year)

Pros

I was a bit surprised by the extensive vetting/interview/testing process...only to be followed by pre-work "homework" and weeks of copious training. But then I realized that I was training and working with a superlative team and company who wanted to ensure that we had the commitment, training, knowledge, and personality to give their customers all the very best that any company can offer. As someone who has worked full-time with both smaller, one-off AND corporate luxury brands for the past 30 years, I have never worked with a more stable, supportive, and exciting company. As someone stated in an earlier review, we really do feel like we are with a "Google of the shade business". This is a very exciting time to be with The Shade Store and I feel so happy--every day--to be a part of it!

Cons

You have to know that you are making a commitment in terms of your time. This is not a Monday-Friday, 9-5, punch the time clock- typical office job. While they don't expect you to "burn the midnight oil", some of your best productivity is achieved around your official hours of business hours. Not much down-time during the day. Also, some hours (depending on the position/location) will include weekends. But, for the most part, since it is a retail-based business, even those in the corporate center must work those kind of hours on occasion, as well.

Advice to Management

Stay the way you are: inclusive, informative, ever-expanding and growing, and respectful of your employees. It speaks volumes and is appreciated!