The Shade Store Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It’s gratifying working for a Family Owned Company where the Owners CARE about their Employees" (in 7 reviews)

• "Causal yet professional work environment" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "They are trying to find a perfect fit for both the company as well as the other design consultants you would be working with" (in 5 reviews)

• "Less than desirable work-life balance" (in 3 reviews)

"Great company, great team!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great showroom experience with a hardworking and fun regional and nationwide team. Everyone is pleasant and helpful. Company is always looking for ways to improve in all areas - product, customer experience, employee experience.
    Great product selection that is always growing.
    Showrooms in our area are busy so there is always plenty to do and the pace can be pretty fast which keeps it interesting.
    Company is growing and they have a great vision.

Cons

None really, we are open 7 days a week so weekend days are a must which could be a con to some.

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping us in the loop and making all TSS employees part of the conversation. Keep up the great work!

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Port Chester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Port Chester, NY

I worked at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's free coffee and sometimes bread.

Cons

First, the codebase. This thing is a dumpster fire of half-baked ideas from mediocre developers over the last 10 years. There's a general acceptance among the developers that this is how things will always be. Anyone who has been there more than a few years has either forgotten what good software looks like or has never written it. If you value career growth, this isn't the place for you.

Next, the location. If you live in NYC, you will be commuting to Port Chester. If there's mention of a Manhattan office, get that in writing. Seriously, there are people who have been there for over a year with the promise of a reasonable commute and still take 4 hours out of their lives each day to work from the main office. The owners have no concept of work-life balance. Let me say it again, THE MANHATTAN OFFICE IS A LIE!

Seriously, NYC is right next door and there are tons of job opportunities. Skip this one.

Advice to Management

You are never going to build a team capable of cleaning the train wreck that Reflexions made for you if you don't move this operation to Manhattan. You business cannot scale at the rate things are going, the software will become a bottleneck to that and you are going to find yourself in the position a year or two from now where development grinds to a complete halt and you are forced to make some VERY expensive decisions to recover.

"Sad but true....."

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time

Pros

Free breakfast everyday, free lunch on Friday, good health benefits, 401k

Cons

When I started at The Shade Store I enjoyed it much more. Few years in, i dread going in everyday due to the overwhelming amount of stress. Classic case of a company not giving you the tools to succeed but asking you to succeed with a ‘just get it done’ mentality. No support. Half my team has left in the last 6 months and they still don’t seem to get it.

"Lengthy Interview Process for Terrible Company"

I worked at The Shade Store full-time

Pros

No dress code. Very loose environment (chaotic).

Cons

Employees are not rewarded. Minimum benefits. 10 days of paid leave which include vacations and PTO. Expected to work long hours and be available at all times of the day. Management is under-qualified and overloaded. Employees always feel the pressure, call out sick often and are underpaid. Company is NOT employee-centric and are sales/profit driven. No career advancement opportunities. Must work Saturdays.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and provide more employee benefits and work/life balance.

"Here's the Truth"

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Shade Store makes beautiful products. They stand behind their products 100%

They offer short lead times and professional installation

There is a Customer Care department in Port Chester, NY that supports any post-sales problems

The pay is above average for a retail job

Strong benefits

The Shade Store has an organized and structured admin system

In house measuring and scheduling department

Family owned and operated

Cons

There is no room for advancement as a Design Consultant. This is a retail position.

Design Consultants have no real voice in the company. Changes are made frequently without advance notice.

The Design Consultant position consists of nights, weekends, holidays and LONG hours.

The interviewing process is tedious. Negotiating the largest salary possible is necessary because you will see very few raises.

Poor Management. Over 200 Design Consultants report to little to no management. The management of the showrooms requires a professional demeanor and leadership tools. This management lacks both. The incompetence of the showroom management is general knowledge but nothing can be reported to the owners because of fear of backlash. TSS has "regional managers" but they have no real pull.

No proper HR department. HR consists of 1 or 2 people depending on the day. All other HR issues are expected to be reported to showroom management. This is a conflict of interest.

Self Management in showrooms. In theory self management is a dream for responsible professionals. The issue with this management structure is that Design Consultants are responsible for their co-workers behavior. If a co-worker is unhinged this company is very slow to act.

Poor company morale. Most showrooms experience a lot of conflict. The conflict stems mostly from a hands off approach to managing disgruntled employees.

The Port Chester Dream. When/If you are hired on to this company TSS will fly you to New York to meet your "team". This whole process is very moving. The company itself seems to stand for everything anyone would want to be apart of. This company is so easy to believe in and support but sadly the truth is when it comes down to it..it is all smoke and mirrors.

The Shade Store Response

Jul 26, 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We will share this with ownership. We appreciate that you took the time to share here but please know you always have a direct line to the owners and can always feel free... More

"Wonderful company to work for"

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant

I worked at The Shade Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and run, caring owners who put customer first but treat employees well and pay competitively. Great product that they stand by.

Cons

Somewhat monotonous work, some very difficult customers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. "Great Company To Work For!"

I worked at The Shade Store full-time

Pros

Excellent training, great model for the current market place.

Cons

All management was handled out of New York office.

Advice to Management

More visits to individual showrooms from New York management

"Very Happy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time

Pros

I'm really enjoying working at the Port Chester office. The hiring process was thorough but I think it worked out well as far as it being a fit for the company and myself. That was important to me because my last company was the opposite. Overall I'm happy with my choice and there are some nice perks here.

Cons

The days are longer than expected

"Custom Made Simple"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Shade Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Shade Store has the most beautiful products and showrooms, great work environment, short turnaround times in production. Excellent company support from corporate, with direct access to members of all departments in real time. Team efforts are rewarded with monthly bonuses. Pay is above average.

Cons

Less than desirable work-life balance. Weekends. Disconnect between design consultants to measure and installer pros to production to final outcome.

Advice to Management

Should not need to take personal time off for sick days.

"Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Design Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Consultant

I worked at The Shade Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company founders are very passionate and have strong company values. They have grand goals for the company's growth. Strong support of the showrooms from headquarters.

Cons

I've observed customer profiling in the showroom by some design consultants on a regular basis, even though it is against company policy. These employees don't want to "waste time" on people who they believe can't afford our window treatments because "they're not our customer". It was very uncomfortable watching these employees google addresses of the customers to gauge how much time and effort we should spend/waste. If you don't look wealthy or have an expensive home, then these design consultants may decide you're not worth their trouble.

Only 6 paid holidays a year. 10 PTO days total: includes vacation and sick time combined. You have to work out your days off with co-workers before getting approval from headquarters. Can be challenging if your co-workers are unreasonable or inflexible.

This was not a creative design position. This is a SALES position with commission and bonus incentives. The company structure is flat (they do explain this to you) ... all 200+ Design Consultants report to VP of Sales.

Advice to Management

Visit the showrooms and observe the design consultants to make sure there is no profiling going on. Make sure that the team members are communicating with each other and assigning showroom responsibilities among the team fairly. In my observances, via emails and phone calls, the employees will generally tell you what you want to hear. Visit the showrooms unannounced and regularly.

The Shade Store Response

Nov 22, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Please know, as a third generation family business, we have built our business and reputation based on how we treat people. We greatly value, appreciate, and respect each... More