The Shape of Behavior Direct Therapist Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Direct Therapist

The Shape of Behavior Direct Therapist Reviews

Updated Oct 18, 2016

2.1
The Shape of Behavior Founder & CEO Dr. Domonique Randall (no image)
Dr. Domonique Randall

"Registered Behavior Technician"

Former Employee - Direct Therapist in Spring, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

Monthly Bonuses based on performance Paid Federal Holidays and Christmas Break Opportunity to Move up and receive more pay Opportunity to receive supervision and guidance (if you want your MA In ABA) You receive great feedback and training on the clock

Cons

Very Challenging Field of Work Sometimes their is a high turn over rate (some people are just in for the money) More emotional support could be beneficial

Advice to Management

I had a very good relationship with my management, and immediate supervisors. They had an open door policy and were always willing to listen to our feedback and help change things.

The Shape of Behavior2016-03-12

"When a company offers false promises, it's not a great feeling."

Current Employee - Direct Therapist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for less than a year

Pros

Watching the patients growth is rewarding. The hours are Monday through Friday. The diversity among the therapist. The break/lunch room for employees is spacious.

Cons

The pay is too low for being a therapist and having an education. The high turn over rate. Awesome employees leave because of favoritism. Too many executives and too few employees tasked to execute. Stating to parents it's a one on one clinic when it's not. Opportunities are based on favoritism. Those employees lack education and are rewarded for incompetence. Always being promised opportunities when they are not available. The company is stagnate- the company offers little to no emphasis on helping meet career goals. Senior leadership fails to adequately communicate. Tardiness is accepted and being on time is not rewarded. Vacation is given but in reality you need to save it for Christmas time when the clinic is closed, the company should give you those days paid so you are able to use your vacation hours for other times, or give more hours towards vacation so employees can actually have a vacation with the hours saved. There should be more time given to employees for personal or sick days without having to be punished for appointments to keep up employee wellness and health. Part time should be available for those employees that would like a part time job. The pay is too low for having an education and certification. The therapist writes the insurance notes but are not guided in the proper way on how to write them. Insurance plan is expensive and offers very little. Patients tend to come in very sick and never sent home when needed. Maintenance is horrible- toilets don't work right, air doesn't work properly, the outside area is not kept up regularly, paint on walls are not kept up and doors don't open or close properly. Tools and supplies are minimal when there needs to be an abundance of mops, paper towels, trash bags, gloves and wet wipes (these are needed for cleaning, sanitizing and regular daily care for patients). The employees should not have to pay for these supplies and told to use them sparingly when they are needed for daily care of the patient.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay rate and performance pay (after all, every person has education, degrees, and certifications: CPR included). All these areas cost money to the employee. Offer incentives for employees Get to know the employees on a personal and professional level to build a stronger team. Offer more room for growth within the company. Change the insurance coverage to take better care of employees. Allow hours to employees to do up keep on the inside and not just once a month. (Sanitizing and cleaning; putting rooms and target plans together without feeling rushed in the mornings). Allow overtime. Allow more outings with the patients and employees to build other skill sets needed. Increase the pay- since most of the employees have degrees- honor the education they have worked hard to get. Very disappointing when an employee needs to seek a second job to make ends meet when the education speaks for itself- retail starts off with a better pay and there is no degree needed. Look at the cameras more to see which employees actually work and stick to the programs and penalize the ones who are not and always staying off schedule or leaving the allotted or designated areas to chat in the front and provide less therapy to the patients. More supplies and tools

The Shape of Behavior2016-10-19
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Direct Therapist"

Former Employee - Direct Therapist in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a direct therapist takes a toll on you after a while so when you have other great therapist to work with, the job is a little easier. Some of the client's parents were amazing as well. Seeing your hard work pay off when a child makes an improvement in their behavior, motor skills, language..etc.

Cons

I think this goes for all ABA therapy facilities but the pay is nowhere near close to what we should've been getting paid being that we have 10 different jobs in 1 title. I don't recall being a janitor and cleaning up at the end of the day being in my job description. Upper management is very sneaky and deceiving. Depending on the manager, a lot of micro-managing occurred. I don't think having the stress of the job in itself on top of being hovered over by upper management was very encouraging. A lot of the time, us as therapist felt overlooked. We'd give suggestions to make for a better environment and company but ideas would never be implemented or taken seriously. You receive 2 weeks off for Christmas break but don't get paid a penny. All while the company is still making money by robbing these clients of their money. They are crooks that truly lack the ethics and compassion to truly care about these children. Now, having over what? 10 locations now but still paying your employees an hourly fee that we could get at Whole Foods. Not to mention, the owner rolling up in her Porsche to check in every now and then. I don't think anyone felt accomplished there just because we received no motivation. They would put together little things to say "thank you" but it didn't feel genuine. Just something to do to make it seem like they cared. Yeah, right.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees. STOP being greedy and money hungry. Take care of your employees and your employees will take care of you. Treat your employees with respect and you won't have to worry about them doing their full complete job on a day to day basis. Hire managers who are TEAM PLAYERS.

The Shape of Behavior2016-01-12

"Run"

Current Employee - Direct Therapist in Spring, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only thing I can say for the pro side is that you will enjoy working with some of the children.

Cons

Corporate is so out of touch and does not care - that is abundantly clear. Facility is dirty. There are never supplies when needed. Pay does not equal the job you will be doing. We started seeing over the past year individuals not making it out of training or leaving shortly after. Serious injuries to staff have increased.

Advice to Management

Pay people a decent living for a tough job so a second job is not necessary. People should be on the same page across the board in policies. Value and reward people who do their job and work hard.

The Shape of Behavior2015-09-08

"Organized Chaos"

Former Employee - Direct Therapist in Houston, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours are good and consistent, plus you receive early days. Scheduling is great and you usually get to pick what kids you want to work with and location to go to.

Cons

Pay can also be a con depending on experience. Won't get paid more immediately after training. Management is the worst at being concerned with employee safety.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees. The Shape has good intentions for kids, but not for therapists. Therapists are treated like cogs in a machine, easily replaceable and always have their squeaks ignored. It's a decent job short term, long term will eventually wear you down. Management doesn't come to clinics unless it's inspection or check on site manager. I've seen kids cause bodily harm (concussion & pushing over a pregnant lady) and management only came to check on ipod safety and furniture.

The Shape of Behavior2015-05-07

"Bad company"

Direct Therapist in Houston, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior

Pros

People you work with are young and laid back, time off, vacations, sometimes leave early if everything is done.

Cons

Manager had favorites, rules only applied to certain people, competitive environment to move up due to everyone else being the same age as you, management don't really care for the therapists. Sometimes BCBAs don't keep up with BIPs which makes it harder on you. Low pay for tedious work. Benefits are only obtainable after completing training and most people quit within that time frame.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more and offer higher pay

The Shape of Behavior2015-01-16

"I administer ABA therapy to children with disabilities of all age ranges and it has been an interesting experience."

Current Employee - Direct Therapist

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hanging out with the kids and just talking, sometimes it feels like you're not working. It can be really laid back as long as you get your work done. Opportunities to move up do come often, but it does seem to be based off of favoritism.

Cons

The problem behavior can be really hard to deal with emotionally. Time off can be nice though, you do get alot of the same holidays as public school and two weeks off for Christmas.

Advice to Management

I would advise them to get to know us more, this company used to be personal.

The Shape of Behavior2014-12-21

"It's a good place to work for ABA work experience."

Current Employee - Direct Therapist in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a lot of hands on ABA therapy experience that looks good on a resume. You really start to care about the kids you work with. Most of the other therapists are great people that just want to help kids with special needs. The BCBAs are very knowledgeable and friendly. Hourly rate, while low given the amount of work you do, is the best in the field. Monthly bonuses help a little.

Cons

Emotionally/physically draining at times. PTO is hard to come by. Admin doesn't communicate with therapists enough which can make it feel like therapists are not appreciated much.

Advice to Management

Communicate more and show therapist appreciation more.

The Shape of Behavior2014-05-04

"Unethical, unorganized zoo!"

Former Employee - Direct Therapist in Houston, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

I wouldn't send my pet animal here, let alone my child; I don't have anything positive to say about this organization.

Cons

As a previous therapist here, I would strongly advise against sending your child to The Shape; unethical treatment of children, upper management being focused on enrollment (over quality of care and training of staff), and little to no value placed on relationships/bonding with children are just a few of the many reasons not to send your child here. Since there is such a high turnover, your child has very little consistency with therapists and is treated more akin to a pet animal than a child. There is little to no value placed on the safety of therapists; I had one colleague who incurred a concussion from a patient and had to drive herself to the ER, as no one was willing to drive her. Sadly, this is the norm every day.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality Carr over financial gain. See patients me employees as people who posess value.

The Shape of Behavior2014-01-16

"Go somewhere else!"

Current Employee - Direct Therapist in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There isnt any but there is a 20 word minimum that must be met. Some people are kind and have good intentions.

Cons

There are so many cons its difficult to list them all. But if I had to choose a few it would be the inexperienced managers, they are young and don't seem to care about anyone except climbing the ladder and staying in the good graces of the "Admin team." The management doesn't seem to take staff concerns seriously. There is a lack of training and supervision. A lot of other reviews call this place unethical and to be very honest, I agree.

Advice to Management

.....

The Shape of Behavior2014-01-18