The Shape of Behavior "aba" Reviews | Glassdoor

The Shape of Behavior Employee Reviews about "aba"

Updated Feb 12, 2019

2.0
The Shape of Behavior CEO Dr. Domonique Randall (no image)
Dr. Domonique Randall
Pros
  • "Great team of BCBAs doing their best with oversized caseloads(in 5 reviews)

• "The therapist are nice and work well together(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some staff members don't know what ABA really is(in 9 reviews)

• "therapy 4:00-4:30 janitorial work(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "aba"

Return to all Reviews

"Ambitious company goals met only by ambitious indivuiduals"

Current Employee - Direct Therapist/RBT in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you care or are interested in ABA Therapy, Autism services, or psychological therapy you will be directly impacting patients in this field. You have the choice to do only what is required of you, but you also have the opportunity to educate yourself further, elevate your status in the company, and become a leader in your craft and your clinic. When done properly, your job can make evident, positive changes in... the everyday and long term lives of the patients in these clinics. Rewarding. With a field as young and developing as ABA, this company is definitely making strides with an uncommon and potentially wonderful clinical model.

Cons

Hard work. I have noticed a lot of employee reviews and spoken with employees whose complaints are simply because they expect this job to be easier and less demanding than it really is. This is not babysitting, this is not counseling. Work can be physically demanding and SHOULD be mentally and emotionally trying. Management concerns voiced in previous reviews are not without cause, but the company is actively... working on that. I would day some of the lack of training makes sense since there is no program that specifically trains ABA Clinic Management. The position requires both business and clinical training and expertise to function properly and most managers have been promoted internally. the qualifications and expectations for managers as well as staff is becoming gradually more stringent as the company and the field progress. As far as unsanitary and unethical, this is just not the case. I would caution potential employees and families to hold these reviews in high regard as the CLINIC STAFF is directly responsible for clinic hygiene and cleanliness as well as ethical treatment protocol. If you are complaining about these things as an employee that means YOU are causing or contributing to them. In my experience, concerns about the quality of treatment performed WHEN EXPRESSED TO MANAGEMENT OFFICIALLY have been directly addressed in discrete ways more often than not. I will say as well that there is a high turn over rate generally. You'll find most all employees have either been with the company for years or are brand new. This is not really a company specific problem or even a negative- This is mostly because 1. the field does not suit everyone 2. the positions of direct staff suit younger people best as there is a potential for physically demanding work, 3. these positions suit nicely for individuals in the field waiting to receive higher degrees, and 4. many individuals are promoted or transferred within the company.

Advice to Management

HOLD YOURSELVES TO A HIGHER STANDARD. Being a good therapist is not sufficient for being a good manager. It is your responsibility to improve your communication with staff and supervisors. It is your responsibility to make sure your staff is well taught and positive. It is your responsibility to make sure your clinics have supplies and the quality of care is high. Your clinic and staff will be a direct reflection of... your work.

The Shape of Behavior2015-03-30

"Everything was great until Bluesprig"

Current Employee - RBT in Katy, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Immediate team members and supervisors are phenomenal -Communication with upper level staff and onsite management is great -Easy Hours

Cons

-Bluesprig bought The Shape as a company and we there is no communication with that part management -Lowest pay offered in ABA as RBT in the Houston area -No paid holidays off -No days off during XMAS or summer

Advice to Management

Onsite management is great. Corporate needs to consider communicating possible changes to staff, shed some hope on pay raises and bonuses.

The Shape of Behavior2019-02-13

"Too big of a corporate"

Current Employee - RBT in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding field of work, work hard on the children's goals

Cons

Poor communication between corporate and multiple locations Human resources makes rules as they go, there has been so many changes and when you communicate with them about policies, they give you a generic answer and the run around Some staff members don't know what ABA really is Not a one to one environment

Advice to Management

Do more to keep your qualified caring staff

The Shape of Behavior2018-04-12

"RBT"

Former Employee - RBT in San Antonio, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids! The management really does try to work with you Corporate is nice and understanding I honestly wish I had more pros to add.

Cons

Burn out rate is super high Low pay Not enough sick days ABA model should be modified Functional living skills were not addressed (a lot of DTT)

Advice to Management

I waited a while to write a review, but I am hoping that enough negatives will have an impact on the management and hopefully things will change for employees and the sweet kids that attend this clinic. The overall attitude of this clinic was negative. I did not see any of my clients progress, which is discouraging when you work so hard. Therapists did not receive a lot of direct supervision. Therapists are... constantly sick, but encouraged to go to work anyways. It is a poor ABA model, and more naturalistic teaching should be implemented. Only one BCBA intern is allowed, and multiple people were in school to further their careers, but unable to acquire hours.

The Shape of Behavior2018-01-26

"Poorly managed company"

Former Employee - RBT in North Houston, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team of BCBAs doing their best with oversized caseloads.

Cons

I have loved the idea of working in the field of behavior analysis since I was first introduced to it years ago. I have enjoyed previous experiences working with other companies and increasing my knowledge of the field in school. Unfortunately, The Shape has set a poor example of true ABA by ignoring what is best for each individual patient and establishing standards of practice in which the 'individualized... programs' must fall into. The BCBAs are doing their best with their hands tied behind their backs. As an employee, you are encouraged to give feedback to the company, but later punished if your feedback isn't 100% positive. To be working in a field where professionals have been trained to improve behaviors with positive reinforcement, it feels like you get nothing but negative energy from corporate, management, and coworkers alike. This was a miserable work experience that would have turned me away from ABA had I not been exposed to the field prior to working at TSOB.

Advice to Management

My advice to corporate is to stop making improvements at a cost. Moral will not improve until employees feel heard and appreciated. The pay increases were wonderful news, until we realized the added mandatory events, outside of business hours, that we had to attend, as well as the increased job responsibilities. The cost of the pay increase left many employees continuing to feel underpaid. Also, the request for paid... holidays to cover the long Christmas break was met with cutting a much needed and deserved extended vacation. Employees who rarely get any R&R were again punished for voicing their (encouraged) opinion on how to improve their working experience. Additionally, any feedback about the quality of therapy is generally met with some form of a written warning, making it obvious that employees are not heard. Additionally, the frequency of documented warnings and punishments make it obvious the company is establishing a paper trail to dismiss you at any given moment, thus eliminating any sense of job security.

The Shape of Behavior2017-01-04

"Professionalism of Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior full-time

Pros

This job can be very stressful and rewarding at the same time. I work with some wonderful BCBAs, so my particular position is great.

Cons

Leadership, from clinic level throughout most of corporate, lacks trained professionals. This company tends to promote from within, which, for some positions, is foolhardy. Those in higher positions should be leaders in THEIR field, not in ABA.

Advice to Management

Leadership appears to be broken, disorganized and unprofessional to clinic employees. It should be the MISSION of leadership to be a support to the clinics to streamline programs, reducing stress and increasing retention at the RBT/patient level. You seem to be growing faster than you can keep up. Training costs must be enormous considering therapist turnover.

The Shape of Behavior2016-07-27

"ABA Therapist"

Former Employee - ABA Therapist/Level II Therapist in Houston, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are steady hours and its weekdays only. Some small perks and benefits. There are very few to get excited about. Its a decent job if you're just out of school, but think temporary, not long term.

Cons

Theres a lot. The pay is low for what you are expected to do (same with majority of clinics in this profession). Management doesn't care at all. They lie to parents by saying therapy is a one on one ABA setting.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to actually care about employees. I worked there for a year and management doesn't care for the well being of therapists. I witnessed it first hand, when after dealing with a patients behaviors and protecting myself from attacks after he ripped apart a table, management came the next take to ensure that the table, not my well being, were ok.

The Shape of Behavior2016-06-07

"Direct Therapist"

Former Employee - Direct Therapist in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at The Shape of Behavior full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a direct therapist takes a toll on you after a while so when you have other great therapist to work with, the job is a little easier. Some of the client's parents were amazing as well. Seeing your hard work pay off when a child makes an improvement in their behavior, motor skills, language..etc.

Cons

I think this goes for all ABA therapy facilities but the pay is nowhere near close to what we should've been getting paid being that we have 10 different jobs in 1 title. I don't recall being a janitor and cleaning up at the end of the day being in my job description. Upper management is very sneaky and deceiving. Depending on the manager, a lot of micro-managing occurred. I don't think having the stress of the job... in itself on top of being hovered over by upper management was very encouraging. A lot of the time, us as therapist felt overlooked. We'd give suggestions to make for a better environment and company but ideas would never be implemented or taken seriously. You receive 2 weeks off for Christmas break but don't get paid a penny. All while the company is still making money by robbing these clients of their money. They are crooks that truly lack the ethics and compassion to truly care about these children. Now, having over what? 10 locations now but still paying your employees an hourly fee that we could get at Whole Foods. Not to mention, the owner rolling up in her Porsche to check in every now and then. I don't think anyone felt accomplished there just because we received no motivation. They would put together little things to say "thank you" but it didn't feel genuine. Just something to do to make it seem like they cared. Yeah, right.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees. STOP being greedy and money hungry. Take care of your employees and your employees will take care of you. Treat your employees with respect and you won't have to worry about them doing their full complete job on a day to day basis. Hire managers who are TEAM PLAYERS.

The Shape of Behavior2016-01-12

"Absolute worst company to work for."

I have been working at The Shape of Behavior

Pros

Not much to say here.

Cons

Agree with a previous review stating treatment is unethical. Programs for patients not updated for months. There is no treatment for problem behavior. BIPS are very poorly constructed and followed. Schedule and curriculm is not at all tailored to individual patients' needs. Very poor communication between management and other employees. Site managers consist of young girls with no experience who are power... tripping. VERY uneducated management. Seems that most management have only received ABA training when employed at TSOB. Awful data collection and graphing methods. Poor employee training. I know I'm missing a lot here.

The Shape of Behavior2013-04-05