The Spaceship Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Business Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Business Support Specialist in Mojave, CA
    Former Employee - Business Support Specialist in Mojave, CA

I worked at The Spaceship Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company Culture! No matter who you are, or what your position is, you are greatly valued and supported from the top down. If you have an issue and work it through your chain of command they take it seriously and want to support you.

Cons

It is in the middle of the Mojave Desert. For many people this isn't a problem. This is the only reason I am not there any longer. I could not imagine my son growing up there and in those school systems.

2. "Wonderful to work here"

Current Employee - Senior Stress Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Stress Engineer in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just about anything you can think of. Great in so many ways.

Cons

The company is growing and growing fast. This is good and bad. You have to adapt.

Advice to Management

Schedule better all the way to the bottom worker. Then, follow up regularly.

3. "CNC PROGRAMMER/OPERATOR"

Former Employee - CNC Programmer/Operator in Mojave, CA
    Former Employee - CNC Programmer/Operator in Mojave, CA

I worked at The Spaceship Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Perks, and People.

Cons

No real cons worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and maybe slow down a little more to see and appreciate the skills, achievements and commitment of some of your technicians.

4. "An Incredible Adventure"

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time

Pros

I've been with TSC for nearly seven years and each of those years has been filled with challenges, growth, fun, excitement, frustration, wonder, and heart. TSC is a great company working to make history in aerospace and in business.
    Lots of companies will say they are driven by their employees but this company shows it through their visible and tangible investments in the employee experience.
    TSC is adventurous and can be intellectually rigorous so business as usual isn't a thing here. People here take pride in their work and the relations they maintain with each other.

Cons

Along with being a start up designing, building, and testing awesome air/spacecraft, is the challenge to keep the faith and tenacity to push forward through tough times. For those that do push forward the pay off can be what makes up a person's legacy. This is exciting. TSC and VG do a great job at intrinsically keeping morale up.

Making space tourism a reality is challenging. Keeping the pace and growing the staff has it's own challenges as team space changes quite a bit.

Advice to Management

Don't lose what made this company great from the beginning, the heartfelt comradery felt from senior leadership to the frontline staff. As companies grow this can be a challenge to maintain.
    TSC's story is an adventurous one. Keep that alive and the right people will want to be a part of this journey!

"Fantastic Job in a Tough Location"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunity to define your career direction. The work is challenging and extremely varied - I manage almost all aspects of my projects from design to procurement to testing. Since it's a pretty small company you can have a lot of impact. The work is very motivating - you get to work on a spaceship! Most folks are there because they want to be there so there's a great team atmosphere.

Cons

The location - Mojave is in the middle of nowhere and if you want to live somewhere nice you have to be prepared for a long commute. In my experience most employees who leave do so because the desert gets to them (or to their significant other).

Company management can sometimes be disorganized and some processes are oddly bureaucratic despite not involving a lot of people.

It's a pretty flat hierarchy so not a lot of opportunity for 'formal' advancement (job title / compensation).

Advice to Management

Make sure you're listening to the 'boots on the ground' employees and taking complaints seriously. Also consider moving out of Mojave.

6. "Delightfully Surprising!!!!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company that TRULY lives their values! One of their core values is "Delightfully Surprising" and they lived up to that from the interview process, thru my moving process, to onboarding and into the work environment. I kept wondering... can a company truly care about their people as much as they are acting like they do?? Well they do! I have never before worked in a place where everyone smiles so much and is so kind and professional.
    They provide so many ways to reward their employees... outstanding benefits package, fresh fruit delivered daily, an array of healthy snacks, happy hours for the company, great parties and events to celebrate for the slightest reason, great team building outings, and on and on. They have excellent tools in place to drive productivity and constantly ask what else we need. And they truly want to have a fair work/life balance in place. And FUN! What a fun place to work... disrupting space and innovation in fun and smart ways... I feel like I work at a fun theme park coming here everyday! Management is open minded and truly forward thinking. Its like no other aerospace company I have worked for or been associated with! And even more exciting is what they have coming on the horizon!! (People will soon be banging down the doors to be a part of this place!)

Cons

ZERO... or maybe that there are not more locations so all of my aerospace friends could work here too?

Advice to Management

Keep making it real and building not only spaceships but other great adventures!

7. "IT Top-Level and HR Dept have ZERO idea what they are doing"

I worked at The Spaceship Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and a 9/80 work schedule that will get you two three-day weekends a month. Also a Benny card that helps out on co-pays, and other medical related expenses

Cons

Top-level IT needs to go micromanagement and untrustworthy, yet unqualified to handle a password reset. HR Dept. Not qualified to handle an orange juice can

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 5-year-plus micromanagement ‘’leadership’’ and get some real, forward thinking IT leadership that can lead a team of awesome managers, engineers and technicians. You’re affecting people’s lives here, have a morale compass.

The Spaceship Company Response

Dec 19, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for your “Straight Up” critique as that is one of our core values here at TSC. We also take “Heartfelt Service” as an important value and are continuously looking to improve our company... More

8. "good management"

Pros

good benefit, snacks, friendly co-worker

Cons

team lead skills is limited.

9. "Where passion and career meet"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People. Undeniably inspiring mission. Growth and Development galore. My professional and personal goals are perfectly aligned!

Cons

The company is struggling to strike a balance between the need to deliver on some big goals that we have been promising for a long time, and the desire to continue being the small company that takes "work life balance" and family as a top priority.

Advice to Management

90 percent of your team is at this company because they care deeply about the mission, but some of your motivational techniques are borrowed from big companies that have to eek performance out of people who are just there for the paycheck.

10. "Fun Place to Work"

I worked at The Spaceship Company full-time

Pros

Good camaraderie, interesting project

Cons

Life in Mojave isn't for everyone.