The Spaceship Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A Career with Purpose"

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time

Pros

We are working on technology that will literally change the world. It is nice to come to work, and know that you are contributing to the future of human spaceflight. The culture here is unlike any other aerospace company. Everyone's contribution is valued, and there are tons of opportunities to grow. We are rapidly expanding, and people are encouraged to think beyond their current role. Senior leadership really cares about the staff. It is a very flat organization that makes decisions quickly. We don't get mired in PowerPoint, which is a welcome change.

Cons

Living in the high desert can be an adjustment. Being so close to Los Angeles and places like Yosemite and Las Vegas make it a nice central location. If you need to be near a mall, the Antelope Valley is not far. If you like mountain living, cooler temps, and lower taxes, the Tehachapi area is great.

2. "When you walk around, you meet happy people."

Current Employee - Flight Test Engineer in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We make spaceships. We design them, build them, and test them. It is great to be at a place where you see what you imagine grow into physical objects. People are happy with their work, and proud to be here. It's not every job that you have that you can think "we might be changing the world a bit- and for the better."

Cons

Spaceship is based in Mojave, CA. It is a desolate desert, so everyone lives 20-30 min away. It's a good place to test experimental aircraft, though.

3. "It’s OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, the company works with employees. Small enough you get to know many people.

Cons

Management is in disarray. No standardization among groups. Adversarial relationship between groups. Not enough people. No pay for overtime. Management manages bodies, not people.

Advice to Management

Manage people to where being at work is good for them.

4. "Damn Good Place to work......Its not work its a hobby"

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time

Pros

They take care of the employees

Cons

None that I can think of

5. "Disappointed Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are very friendly and easy to work with

Cons

Poor management and very little interest in keeping employees happy; considering the location and lack of telecommuting this is a problem

6. "Business Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Business Support Specialist in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff to work with, caring managers, fun and passionate work environment. Best job I've ever had.

Cons

In Mojave, average 35-45 min. commute from a larger city, no tution reimbursement programs.

7. "Going Strong"

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Mojave, CA

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time

Pros

I've been with The Spaceship Company for a day or two now and I've seen nothing but continuations improvements. The company prides itself on taking care of their employees, ensuring that they have a good work/life balance. The work tempo is high, but then again we're trying to establish he worlds first commercial spaceline. There is a real sense of belonging here . Every is on the same page trying to reach the same goals. I'm proud to be part of this group and plan to be here for years to come.

Cons

If there were a con, I have heard people complain about the location. Unfortunately they aren't looking at the forest due to the trees. The company is located on the Mojave Air & Spaceport. Close by housing is more affordable than the LA or Bakersfield areas. This is only an hour or so from LA, the beaches, the mountains, the desert and only 3 hours from Vegas. Win-win.

"Business Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Business Support Specialist in Mojave, CA
    Former Employee - Business Support Specialist in Mojave, CA

I worked at The Spaceship Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company Culture! No matter who you are, or what your position is, you are greatly valued and supported from the top down. If you have an issue and work it through your chain of command they take it seriously and want to support you.

Cons

It is in the middle of the Mojave Desert. For many people this isn't a problem. This is the only reason I am not there any longer. I could not imagine my son growing up there and in those school systems.

9. "CNC PROGRAMMER/OPERATOR"

Former Employee - CNC Programmer/Operator in Mojave, CA
    Former Employee - CNC Programmer/Operator in Mojave, CA

I worked at The Spaceship Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Perks, and People.

Cons

No real cons worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and maybe slow down a little more to see and appreciate the skills, achievements and commitment of some of your technicians.

10. "An Incredible Adventure"

I have been working at The Spaceship Company full-time

Pros

I've been with TSC for nearly seven years and each of those years has been filled with challenges, growth, fun, excitement, frustration, wonder, and heart. TSC is a great company working to make history in aerospace and in business.
    Lots of companies will say they are driven by their employees but this company shows it through their visible and tangible investments in the employee experience.
    TSC is adventurous and can be intellectually rigorous so business as usual isn't a thing here. People here take pride in their work and the relations they maintain with each other.

Cons

Along with being a start up designing, building, and testing awesome air/spacecraft, is the challenge to keep the faith and tenacity to push forward through tough times. For those that do push forward the pay off can be what makes up a person's legacy. This is exciting. TSC and VG do a great job at intrinsically keeping morale up.

Making space tourism a reality is challenging. Keeping the pace and growing the staff has it's own challenges as team space changes quite a bit.

Advice to Management

Don't lose what made this company great from the beginning, the heartfelt comradery felt from senior leadership to the frontline staff. As companies grow this can be a challenge to maintain.
    TSC's story is an adventurous one. Keep that alive and the right people will want to be a part of this journey!