KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Law

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "nice people work here at this firm(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Spitz is a great employment law firm

Aug 18, 2021 - Law Student in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

They are Plaintiff's side law firm, good work

Cons

As most growing law firms, very busy and potentially overworked

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not for Me

Jul 6, 2022 - Litigator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Met some great people while working there

Cons

I did not find it to be a healthy environment, I don't think there is more than two attorneys working there that stayed from when I was employed

Managing Partner

Respectfully, we have grown to 25 attorneys from 15 in the last four years. Over half of our attorneys have been with us about four years. We have more than 6 attorneys that have been with us over 6 years. I'm not sure when you worked here, but we have good stability among our attorneys, especially given the post-COVID environment. Speaking of environment, we are currently allowing all of our employees to work 2 days per week from home due to gas prices. We just started paying for nearly all of a gym membership and added extra PTO, including getting your birthday off and two extra days per year for any vacation to encourage our employees to take time off. There is so much more. So, not sure when you worked with us, but I would love the opportunity to get your perspective so that we can continue to work at building a better firm.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A challenging and rewarding career jump starter

Jul 21, 2021 - Case Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing support and family attitude from the staff to the managing partner and CEO. I worked under Sam and Chris. Chris is one of the best most audacious lawyers who truly advocates for his clients. It shines through his work. Sam is a hands on powerhouse who always keeps you on the same page. Excited to have seen him from a clerk to where he is now. Most the complaints I see are from people who were unqualified to work here and abused the lenient training guideline. Paula, Beth, and Elise are always open to fixing issues. If you can’t communicate with them you will not succeed. Ask for help. We all do. I was met with outstanding help when I was overworked or was facing a miscommunication. While I no longer work here, I recommend friends and family to them when facing a work dispute.

Cons

Intense get-it-done atmosphere where you have to be open to charting unknown waters. Look up how to issue FOIA requests and familiarize yourself with form letters and a sustainable to-do list, or you’ll get swept-up fast. There is a lot that changed with HB352 So everyone learns at the same time. You have to be adaptive to that or apply somewhere else.

4. 3.0

Fun office

Oct 23, 2021 - Paralegal in Cleveland, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co- workers who understand that we all were going through.

Cons

To fast and to many international issues.

5. 1.0

Just don't apply here.

Jun 1, 2021 - Legal Assistant in Beachwood, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Jeans. The ephemeral feeling that you're helping people.

Cons

Turnover worse than most restaurants. Toxic office environment. Zero HR or remote semblance of accountability of leadership. No training. Laughable benefits. The attorneys are submitted to incredible workloads and paid less than most paralegals in the industry. Absolutely zero internal emphasis on diversity and inclusion in the workplace which is strange for a law firm that defends people who have been victims of discrimination at work.

Managing Partner

Given that almost half of our work force are people of color or different national origins; that we have women in leadership at every level; and have had significant numbers of LGBTQ+ working here, I am very surprised by your assertions. If you really worked here, you know that we have open doors at all levels. Lastly, as a legal assistant, you would have had no access to how much attorneys are being paid. Good luck whoever you are.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Do Not Work Here

Jan 14, 2021 - Associate Attorney in Beachwood, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

You’ll learn a lot about employment law very quickly. Also, your coworkers will be some of the best people you’ll meet. Everyone has a great sense of humor and is generally kind hearted.

Cons

You will absolutely destroy your mental health if you work at Spitz. It doesn’t matter how hard you work, or how organized you think you are, this place will take years off your life. The case load is in the high 100s range, sometimes even in the 200s. Malpractice will be on your mind every single day you work for this firm. It’s not worth it.

3 people found this review helpful

Managing Partner

This is blatantly false. No attorney other than the managing partner has a case load in the 100s. Never once has any attorney had a case load in the 200s.

7. 3.0

It is what it is

Jan 18, 2021 - Associate Attorney
    Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed office environment, plenty of opportunities for immediate experience, can get litigation experience right away

Cons

Very much a grind, low pay, general hostility from opposing counsels

8. 3.0
    Current Employee

good place to work

Dec 27, 2019 - Associate Attorney
    Business Outlook

Pros

nice people work here at this firm

Cons

I enjoyed my time

9. 5.0

Millennial Complaints About A Great Job

May 30, 2018 - Associate in Beachwood, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of the complaints on here seem to be from millennials that don't understand that as a first or second year attorney, work life is hard. I occasionally look at my old jobs on here. I spent three years at Spitz - my first three. I got more experience and was taught more than i learned in law school by ten fold. Brian never yelled or screamed. When a problem happened, he helped instead of blamed. Everything was a teaching experience. As for work life balance, I put in about 1800 to 2000 hours per year, which is normal according to every report that I have read. I never was in the office on the weekends and very few people are. There are people who have been there a long time, Fred, Kelly and Chris. Many of the people who have left have been recruited for bigger firm jobs because of the experience and exposure new attorneys get. Brian brings in lunch for everyone all the time. One day , he closed the office and took everyone out for desert. They gave away iPads, Beats, and swell bottles for Christmas, and raffled off a fully paid trip to Aruba for anyone that worked there to win. Yes, I left, but the only reason was for money.

Cons

I suppose if you want a job where you don't want to work hard at all and someone is constantly telling you what to do so you never have to think on your own, this job is not for you. Brian has no memory and forgets a ton. It does not pay as much some of the bigger defense firms because it has only about 10 attorneys last time I checked. Statewide work does require more travel on occasion.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

You Reap What You Sow

Jul 17, 2019 - Attorney
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best part about working at The Spitz Law Firm is that you can be comfortable while you work. Dress code is casual, and the environment is laid back. Everyone here is friendly and we all get along well. My coworkers are really like a second family to me. I know turnover has been a problem in the past, but those issues are being worked on as the CEO is constantly coming up with new ways to make the firm a better place. The firm has grown substantially over the past few years, and with growth comes unknown territory. When you are part of a new and growing firm, it should be expected that all the quirks have not been worked out yet. Sometimes it can be a pain, but those of us who have been here for a while will tell you that it has been an amazing experience to grow with the firm and to watch the firm flourish. I would say one of the biggest complaints I have heard from the people that quit is that the high volume is too much for them to handle. I will admit, high volume firms are not for everyone. However, if you know how to manage yourself, your schedule, and your clients, it is really not that difficult. The benefit of working in a high volume firm is that you learn so much in such a short time. Not many first-year associates are able to take on their own cases and have the hands-on experience we got our first year. If you get stuck on something or your case load starts to overwhelm you, you can always reach out and talk to one of the partners or even an associate about it. There is not one time that I was denied the help I needed when I needed it. Again, this is a very easy going firm. No one is going to be upset with you or look down on you if you need help. All of us have needed help at some point and luckily, we have had each other to help us get through. All in all, it is a good place to work and I enjoy working here. The managing partner and the CEO are very loyal to their employees and will go out of their way to improve work conditions when and where they can. I am excited to see what is next to come.

Cons

I touched on some of my cons in the above section. Working at a high volume firm can be stressful but every job comes with its own stresses. The benefits are not great right now, but that is in the works and should be resolved soon.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews