The Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management pushes process improvement a little too hard (in 20 reviews)

• The work-life balance is awful, and also uneven (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of the best places to work in Portland"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team I work with are always open to questions and work to remove any troubles that hinder our ability to complete task/projects. This cooperation starts at the Director to the Senior Director to the VP. All are sincerely open to conversations and genuinely care about the people who work in their area.

Cons

It does take time to understand the terminology and acronyms that are used by the business. Many who have been around for years know these but do not realize that everyone is not at the same level of understanding.

Advice to Management

Please provide more background into the different business areas, how they interact with each other and a glossary of terms used.

Apr 13, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m pleased to see you believe your leaders are supportive. Your insight about the challenge to learn new industry terms/acronyms is a good... More

"Working at The Standard"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot's of autonomy, respect, and hard work in my department and the departments I often interact with. Flexibility on schedule and working remotely has greatly improved my quality of life.

Cons

The same that come with any large corporation and roadblocks that exists in those systems.

Apr 11, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for your comments. Your input is appreciated.

"Good company with good values, need more clear direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Each leader I have worked for has a strong desire to see their employee's succeed. Most empathize with the struggles of their employees and look for ways to assist when possible. They encourage employee's to think creatively to solve issues and often empower them to work through problems.

This company has strong ethical values including things like 'Do the right thing'. Employee's are encouraged to volunteer their time when possible and an annual employee giving campaign also encourages employees to volunteer their money with company-matching contributions.

Cons

In the last few years there has been a shift in focus almost each year on our 5 year plan. This is frustrating to employees as we work toward a goal/focus only to find the next year that goal/focus is no longer part of the 5 year plan.

The connection between upper/middle management and 'on the ground' is very department-specific with some departments being very connected and others very disconnected.

Technical support and career opportunities for remote (telecommuting) employees is improving but still lacking.

Advice to Management

Decide on a path for our organization and stick to it. Shift marketing needs are one thing but abandoning something that was one of our top focuses 2 years ago is very frustrating for employees, particularly, if you are in the part of the organization most impacted by the shift.

"Really enjoyed my time there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong leaders who care about their people
    The ability to make an impact - the company size is such you can make a difference and carve a path for yourself.
    Trusting and respectful environment
    Good work/life balance
    Some flexiblity to work from home
    Great charitable focus and employee involvement

Cons

Bonuses seem a little low compared to other employers

Advice to Management

Don't let the negative naysayers on here get you down. Those that can't provide feedback in a constructive way - one has to ask - why are they still working there if they hate it so much?

Apr 12, 2018 – The Standard

We're glad to see that your employment experience was favorable during your time with us and appreciate your comments.

"It's been good for me!"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thoughtful and respectful working environment
    People who really want to make a difference
    Supportive and respectful culture
    People around you help you do your best work

Cons

With a 100 year old legacy, change and technology is slower than in other organizations but we are moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on continuous improvement. The Lean efforts are engaging people and helping us think in new ways.

Apr 12, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for sharing your views.

"Laughable IT “Management”"

Pros

can’t think of anything positive to say about this place! Good non mangers. Work/life balance is decent. Downtown location is “ok” but getting worse

Cons

Worst place I’ve ever worked and got a lot worse after the sale to a foreign company. Just read the recent post titled “Orwellian”. The author really does a great job in summarizing the current state.

Picture a Roman galley to represent IT: staff rowing the galley into a hurricane and whirlpool and “management” cracking the whip saying “Go faster... go faster!”

Take your “Velocity” back to Nike.

Automation efforts are a joke and short-sighted all led by “leaders” who don’t have a clue about managing and developing talent.

Advice to Management

I dare someone in upper management or HR to reply to this message!

Fire IT management and start over. Your rate of attrition is an abomination (despite what VP and above state) and is a testament to an ineffective and unethical HR department and leadership.

Apr 13, 2018 – The Standard

It’s disappointing to read that your experience here has been less than favorable. I encourage you to reach out to me to discuss your specific feedback. It’s important to me that each one of our IT... More

"Actuarial Assistant"

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

We have a flexible work schedule and a nice student program.

Cons

Sometimes it takes longer time to solve the technical issues

Apr 11, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for your feedback and insight. We are glad to see you are enjoying your employment experience and encourage you to continue to share feedback with your leader on what you think could... More

"Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wide range of opportunities to impact outcomes for customers as well as for employees

Cons

As a company with a lot of history, change continues to be challenging in some areas.

Apr 11, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for sharing. As a newer leader here, we'd appreciate you sharing your insights and thank you for your efforts on helping influence positive change.

"Employee evaluation 1st year"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People. Honest Company. Open communication on all levels

Cons

New case and case changes to Home Office. Long delays in completion of request.

Advice to Management

Retrain employees when necessary. Watch for the details.

Apr 11, 2018 – The Standard

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. Your comments have been shared and we encourage you to continue to share ideas on how we can improve our processes with your immediate leader.

"Genuine and Supporting"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Peers are genuinely supportive of others triumphs and struggles, both personal and professional, if shared. True life-work balance is supported by management.

Cons

Progress moves slowly and the move to re-integrate IT (from mostly off-shore) a few years ago has been and continues to be painful. The us : them divide between IT and business remains very much in tact. Implementation of Agile IT practices has been inconsistent, undercutting the benefit perception and encouraging a backslide into waterfall.

Advice to Management

Create clarity on objectives and priorities from the top down through to the individual contributor. Anything not falling into that list should not be distracting everyone. Align that work around Product teams which own the lifecycle of the solution with both IT and business stake (shared cost of build & maintain) versus projects (where build is funded by biz, maintenance owned by IT) will produce better tools containing the most important functionality. Less waste, more value, minimal offshoring & no knowledge handoffs needed.