The Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management pushes process improvement a little too hard" (in 20 reviews)

• "The work-life balance is awful, and also uneven" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Empowering Company"

Current Employee - Contract Commission Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Contract Commission Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at The Standard. I've never felt so valued and respected as an employee before with other employers, but The Standard goes above and beyond to care and empower their employees. The work is rewarding. I love my job! I'm really happy to be working for The Standard and I would suggest working here for anyone who truly values taking care of others. The benefits are fabulous and you will have a comfortable lifestyle while working for The Standard.

Cons

For downtown, parking can be frustrating. I take trimet. I would urge others to take trimet instead of parking.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job.

Aug 29, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for sharing your experience!

"Great company with good benefits and pay."

Former Employee - CTA Voluntary Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - CTA Voluntary Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people at the company are very friendly

Cons

Technology is out of date and the company is extremely slow to implement any new updates or changes.

Oct 4, 2018 – The Standard

We are glad you are enjoying your experience with us. Thank you for your significant contributions!

3. "Employee Benefit's Specialist"

Former Employee - Employee Benefits Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Employee Benefits Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, very moral. Kind team, everyone was helpful and wanted to see you grow!

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

4. "Great Employer!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits; Great work environment; Excellent Community partner that encourages employee volunteering

Cons

No real cons for me

"You get what you give"

Current Employee - Disabiliy Benefits Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Disabiliy Benefits Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have somewhere near 150+ active claims and about 13 pending claims. Compared to other analysts, I honestly very rarely find myself stressed by the workload because I have learned from the get-go that you get out of this job what you're willing to put in. If you're proactive and work ahead you won't find yourself working 40+ hours each week and dreading coming into the office at the beginning of the work week. Could the Standard stand to hire more DBA's? Sure. Is the workload really that unbearable? Honestly, no, not if you actually utilize your time wisely.

I think the Standard is an awesome kick-start your career opportunity as the company offers an array of opportunities for advancement. When I first started, the one thing that stood out to me was that all of the training leaders had been with the company for 10+ years, many of them started out as DBA's. The company truly believes in personal and professional growth, and I experience it regularly during my 1 on 1's with my supervisor when I'm able to discuss my professional goals and receive nothing but positive support and guidance.

I enjoy the flexible schedule and often work from home if needed. The location downtown is great as I'm able to use public transportation to get to and from work. During lunch I can take a walk to or run along the waterfront, which is just a few blocks away.

Cons

At times I feel there is a level of favoritism within the company; sometimes I feel like the ability to network overshadows actual skill and work ethic. However, I think that may happen a lot in most work environments and likely just means I need to brush up on my networking skills.

One additional con is that those who do put in the hard work are rarely recognized and instead given the work of their teammates who are behind on their work. Helping out teammates is not something I have an issue with, however, becomes a problem when those teammates struggling to keep up are very regularly seen at their desks on their phones or asleep (I wish I was kidding).

Advice to Management

Take care of and recognize those willing to put in the actual 40 hours/week

"Terrible management"

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

PTO and 401k match are decent.

Cons

So many managers without leaderships skills. I have seen so many good employees left the company because of this.

Advice to Management

Just because someone was a good individual contributor, that does not mean she/he will be a good manager. Stop hiring or promoting managers who don't have leadership skills. You will keep losing good employees. I know the company make all managers go through training programs, but we don't see any positive changes.

7. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

Leadership is engaged and continually working on ways to improve the organization. The vast majority of employees and contractors I engage with are friendly and professional. The company donation match and all the different learning opportunities offered back up the culture of caring mantra.

Cons

Documentation is often lacking. If you need operations type instruction, you have to figure out the right person to ask because there's a good chance anything you find written down is outdated, incomplete or doesn't apply to your situation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the value stream work to combat effects of typical large company silo'ing. The better teams understand process lifecyles, the better judgement they can bring to their piece of it.

Oct 4, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for your balanced perspective. We encourage you to bring your ideas of document improvement forward to your leaders.

"Overall I have had a positive experience"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the company offers decent benefits, my direct manager is wonderful, the hours are good and i hope to stay here a long time.

Cons

PTO - it could be better and i have worked for companies with better PTO.

Advice to Management

Far be it from me to give advice to any management. I haven't had a bad experience with my manager. As a matter of fact, my manager is one of the best managers I have ever had.

Oct 4, 2018 – The Standard

We're glad to hear that you have been enjoying your experience . We take people leadership seriously and are glad you feel positive about your leader.

"Temp-to-hire success story"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inclusive Company Culture
    Encourages Individual Growth
    Opportunities for Advancement/Transfer
    Some Positions allow Work From Home
    Supportive Co-Workers/Teams
    Comprehensive/Competitive Benefits
    Consistent Hours/Schedules
    Employee Moderated Learning Communities

I have never worked for a company that is more supportive of its employees. I used to go to work (at previous employment) feeling like all my boss wanted to do was use me until I was dried up. But The Standard creates an environment where I feel appreciated and able to reach a fair work/personal life balance. Management is caring, communicative, and well equipped to act in accordance with the progressive culture of the company. This is a company that looks to the people actually performing the work to ask how a process or task can be improved or made easier/more efficient. They are solution oriented and always seem to appreciate a new idea, even if the response is an explanation of why the idea wouldn't work out just yet. This is a company that I could easily see myself working with until my retirement (some 30+ years away!). I also feel I can legitimately be proud of the company I work for and what they stand for, as they are active givers to the community and their employees, and are constantly making new partnerships to extend their success to aid the global community. CEO Greg Ness has himself spent numerous volunteer hours working with Habitat for Humanity. And all full time employees (to my knowledge) receive 8 hours of company paid time for volunteer work each year.

Cons

Training Materials can be slim
    Large Organization - Leads to some confusion about which department does what

Oct 4, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're glad you 've decided to join us! We encourage you to share your observation on the training materials with your leader .

"IT Director"

Current Employee - IT Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

Great people; great location in downtown Portland; benefits; limited work travel; tremendous opportunity to make a difference; social values of the company align very well with the progressive Portland mindset

Cons

Remote work is not embraced

Advice to Management

Lean and Agile integration are great, keep it up; embrace remote workers and rethink the mantra that people working remote are not adding value, hold management accountable for building their teams and their results rather