The Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management pushes process improvement a little too hard" (in 20 reviews)

• "The work-life balance is awful, and also uneven" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of the best places to work in Portland"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team I work with are always open to questions and work to remove any troubles that hinder our ability to complete task/projects. This cooperation starts at the Director to the Senior Director to the VP. All are sincerely open to conversations and genuinely care about the people who work in their area.

Cons

It does take time to understand the terminology and acronyms that are used by the business. Many who have been around for years know these but do not realize that everyone is not at the same level of understanding.

Advice to Management

Please provide more background into the different business areas, how they interact with each other and a glossary of terms used.

The Standard Response

Apr 13, 2018 – The Standard

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m pleased to see you believe your leaders are supportive. Your insight about the challenge to learn new industry terms/acronyms is a good... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility, including WFH and volunteer time.

Cons

Constant, significant change creates challenges when managing teams. Noted for lack of trust between individual contributors and higher levels of management. This puts front-line managers in a difficult position. Senior leadership is often disconnected from the experience of the individual contributors actually doing the work to serve customers and meet objectives.

Advice to Management

shrink layers of management (director/senior director role should be eliminated or reduced) and connect front line managers to VP for a better experience for employees and customers. Director role tends to get in the way, and is ineffective at managing people and processes and also does not effectively translate communication between Manager and VP, contributing to mistrust and a lot of "change for change's sake"

"Definitely happy I came back!"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*I love working with a team that is supportive and non-judgmental.
    *My manager has done my job so understands both the ups and downs and is able to answer questions knowledgably.
    *I work remotely and I feel 100% supported by both the company and my team. I do not feel I'm missing out on anything (other than cookies and lunches :) ) by working from away. I am able to contribute and take part in everything the team does.

Cons

I don't have anything "con" that's big enough to mention.

4. "Solid employer"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Family friendly
    - Flexible work schedules
    - Leadership listens to staff
    - Good benefits
    - An ethos of integrity permeates the organization
    - Great location downtown
    - Lots of opportunities for internal employees to advance and move around
    - The company invests in it's people
    - The current organizational change is creating a lot of opportunities

Cons

- Downtown location can be a nightmare with traffic
    - Technology has a long way to go to rectify years of dysfunction
    - Lots of process

Advice to Management

A strategic plan, or clear corporate objectives, with department plans aligned will help create clarity for staff on where we are going and how the day to day work fits in with the bigger picture.

5. "Overall good company"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

- People (and the company) WANT to do the right thing.
    - Good resources and knowledgeable staff
    - Work life balance is supported

Cons

- Technology could be better
    - Work from home (in the field office locations) isn't encouraged as much as it is in the home office (Portland)
    - Need to appropriately staff our teams so we don't burn out good employees

6. "Management and leadership."

Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and culture. Lots of good people here.

Cons

Just large company issues. Nothing real surprising here.

"I enjoy it here!"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at The Standard for 2 years and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. The work environment is relaxed and the hours are flexible. Since the company handles Retirements and Insurance, employees receive good benefits with those.

Cons

- Outdated technology, which can be frustrating, but also has good job security if that is your area of expertise.

"Slow but steady and moving in the right direction"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good work life balance
    - Interesting work (large enough org that you will find something interesting if you ask)

Cons

- Slow to embrace change
    - Slow to make decisions

Advice to Management

Make decisions more quickly. It is better to fail fast than to miss your window of opportunity.

"Some really good, some not-so-good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great pay/benefits
    - Generous bonuses
    - Company has a strong culture of giving back to the community/volunteer work
    - At my job, they've been very supportive of me going to training and conferences, at company expense

Cons

- There is a LOT of company politics. A lot of people who have been here a long time and have built little mini-kingdoms.
    - There is significant use of vendor resources instead of Standard employees to do much of the work in IT. The vendors are not really seen as part of the same team by employees, more like the guy you pay to mow the lawn. As a result, the culture between SIC and the Venfors is more of "what am I getting for my money" than "we are all one team, no matter who signs our paycheck". This creates an environment where there are multiple agendas and lots of political maneuvering. This occurs all the way up the organization
    - The funding model encourages the above problem. People are paid for via projects, not products. So,if five projects are using product A, they each staff to complete their project,but no one is taking care of the product as a whole (primarily becuase the company just hasn't been willing to pay for that). As a result, the product suite is not updated well andthere is alot of "rot".

Advice to Management

Have a much higher percentage of SIC employees doing the work in IT. Augment with Vendors, but vendors shouldn't be the primary workforce. I'd recommend at least a 50/50 mix. It is more expensive, but as Benjamin Franklin said “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

10. "A great place to work and have a career!"

Current Employee - Senior Emloyee Benefit Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Emloyee Benefit Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture, management is supportive and always seeking input about how things are working or what can be done to improve. Very respected name in the Group Insurance industry and many long tenured employees who provide excellent back-up. Quality is extremely important and a company wide focus. Good family balance is encouraged.

Cons

None that I can think of, I have worked with several carriers over my career and can honestly say this company sets the bar above the rest.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communications as open as they are, the fact that so many stay for so long is a great indicator of a good work environment.