The Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management would rather leave the room than look a temp in the eye (in 17 reviews)

• Senior management is completely out of touch (in 11 reviews)

"1980s company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than 3 years)

Pros

Required to put something here

Cons

The air conditioning was broken for months, there are flees in the office, everyone surfs Facebook all day long and the managers are never around. Tech support is openly hostile.

Advice to Management

Too late to fix

"CTA Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mgmt promoted Frachise Mentality to the sales team.

Cons

Mgmt did not know what they were getting into when the aligned with CTA which is a very frightened union when it comes to protecting their turf. They would let any vendor poach their members without any reproach.

Advice to Management

get some b**lls

"Terrible Senior Leadership - Bush-league managers"

Pros

I guess if you need income while you are looking for another job. There are some nice people that work here.

Cons

Insular culture with managers having no clue or interest in how things work in modern companies in the "outside world"
    Sexist and disrespectful environment is tolerated in the Sales organization
    Managers with no people or leadership skills who are clueless enough to be arrogant
    Promoting and providing opportunities based on who is the biggest suck up
    Culture of Fear
    Top-down and top heavy hierarchical management structure
    No communication or transparency about business strategy-because there likely isn't one
    Very few women and no minorities in senior leadership roles. None in the executive ranks.
    White males prosper
    Disengaged managers offering no value or mentoring
    Low morale
    Old school, status quo, "good old boy" environment
    Leaders don't want feedback
    High turnover
    Sinking ship
    Behind the times technology and products
    Avoid this place at all costs!

Advice to Management

Clean House

"Worst company ever....."

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

I cannot provide any positive comments about this company.

Cons

There are many. Allow me to list them here.

1. The process for completing background checks and former employment history is a nightmare.
    2. The company has either outsourced or subcontracted their HR functions to locations all over the US so it is very difficult to coordinate times to talk, communicate or respond to requests for information.
    3. The orientation is nothing short of pathetic. There was not one single component of the orientation that gave me any idea of what the company did, how the company was organized or where to find important information. For example, it wasn't until I had the opportunity to meet with the head of the company that I found out they had been purchased by a Japanese company.
    4. Their IT infrastructure is nothing short of archaic and outdated. It is a joke.
    5. There are many people who have been there for decades and therefore it is almost impossible to learn the tribal knowledge.

Advice to Management

I have none because it would fall on deaf ears.

"Smoke and Mirrors. Don't drink the Kool-Aid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When you first start working at The Standard it is a great place but after a few years the gloss and shine disappears and the companies true colors appear. The company does not reward its long time employees. It is just the opposite. If you stay in a job too long you will not be promoted. With knowledge comes opinions and ideas. Don’t ever share your thoughts or opinions with anyone. If you do and your ideas do not align with The Standards opinion, they will work with HR to find a way to let you go no matter how valuable you are and how much experience or knowledge you have. Standard hires a lot of managers from the outside who come in, put the long term employees on an improvement plans, lets the seasoned employees go and hire people they used to work with at other companies that do not know how to do the job and they pay them more to start than the experienced employees.

Cons

The employees that work in more high paid and so called prestigious jobs all have a holier than thou “we are better than you” attitude and they really believe they are the most important people on the planet, like the HR employees. They have been brainwashed to believe that you should find it a privilege to work at The Standard and if you don’t like anything about you can leave. Even people who started out as nice people end up becoming corporate drones and will do and say anything to stay in the good graces of the CEO and their bosses. They are so out of touch with the opinions thoughts and needs of the employees. Instead of taking their advice they do whatever they want.

Advice to Management

You can stop having engagement groups and committees sit around working on ways to improve morale and working conditions. It’s all a smoke screen. If you simply respected and rewarded employees for their hard work and dedication by giving them raises and leave them alone to do their job you wouldn’t have to have try to find ways to engage your employees, they would be doing it because they love their jobs and are given the freedom to do it. Managers brow beat and micro managers so much that they strip them of their confidence that by the time it comes to looking for a new job, the employee feels like they can’t do anything and they feel helpless. You will never ever get the real opinion of the employees because they live in fear of losing their job just like that one co-worker that lost theirs for being “Outspoken”.
    How about grooming employees on teams to become managers so when someone leaves they are ready to move into a management role and know what it takes to do so.
    Bring back exit surveys and then actually read them. By the time an employee is written up or they threaten to put someone on a performance coaching plan (which is basically coaching you OUT THE DOOR) the employee is so upset that they fall under that, why fill out a survey? Nobody cares what I think. I know HR is against this because they feel it is too much work and the HR department is ALWAYS trying to find ways to pass their job responsibilities on to someone else.

"Immoral managers & failed managers"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The paycheck is not worth it. It is hazard pay.

Cons

The managers are immoral. Since they are incompetent, they will do anything to demoralize and suppress the subordinates, especially if the subordinates are better than them. For example, they will tell the subordinates that you have a bad idea(s), and then steal the subordinates' good ideas to present to their bosses that it was their own great ideas.

If you are looking for experience, then this is the company to avoid at all costs. The subordinate will be on your own and there is no one in the tax department that can help the employees or even train them. The hiring manager does not have a college degree and will mislead you with phony stories. Expect the same from the director above.

The failed managers will destroy you and your career. You will be sorry in working at Standard. They do not care about the employees in their department. They will fire or force great employees to quit because they are afraid that their bosses will find out there were past employees who are more knowledgeable. They do not deserve you.

The turnover rate is high at the Standard. Except for middle and top management positions because no other company would want to hire a long time Standard employees.

Do not believe that they have changed for the better. It is just a lie to get you to work for them.

Advice to Management

Since they do not listen or care, there is no advice for the good ole boys. They are permanently lost.

"employment"

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

Some great people are employed there. Fair with the work/life balance

Cons

Horrible senior management is CS. You are good if you are a part of the 'boys club'. Sr Management tends to throw their non senior managers under to protect themselves. HR is really no different. Have witnessed them go after an employee for no reason and turned it into a witch hunt to save the Sr manager. These groups are a complete embarrassment to the company.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, you are losing great employees because of your sr management and your companies unethical ways of behavior towards its employees.

"Don't invest in Technology and not trustworthy"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than 3 years)

Pros

At times of desperation they are willing to pay top dollar.

Cons

After the immediate crisis is over, any commitments they made are subject to change. They don't keep their word!

Bad apples stick around. I witnessed several bad hires in IT. Either they were incompetent or extremely difficult to work with. These problems were never managed and the employees just stuck around making things worse.

Poor organization structure. Very little communication and cooperation between IT groups resulting in stagnation. This is why Standard gets so far behind on technology and then has to invest in massive catch up projects. They will bring in top talent for these projects, but inevitably they miss-manage the talent and they leave. You have the remaining bad apples trying to manage technology they don't understand and it stagnates.

Advice to Management

You have videos you make all your employees watch on ethical behavior but these don't include basic behavior like don't lie, keep your promises and don't bully. These behaviors are rampant. You should integrate these goals into employee reviews. Repeat offenders should be let go or managed out. They give you a bad name. Giving lip service to being trustworthy is only that.

"Overworked, underpaid and under appreciated."

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good vacation but you can never take it because your so overloaded with claims you stress out the entire time thinking about the nightmare waiting for you when you come back.

Cons

Salaries are very poor and so is the training. Training is basically learn as you make mistakes. Then when performance reviews are done they use those mistakes against you preventing you from getting a measly 2% raise. Trust me, they will work you to death then give you donuts and jeans day for your efforts. CEO Greg Ness is an out of touch dictator who makes 3 million a year. He removed annual raises for all the employees unless you "exceed Expectations". You basically earn less every year due to inflation. Save yourself the stress and low pay and work anywhere but here.

Advice to Management

None they won't listen to you.

"Lies, Lies, Lies.... (but they smile while telling them)"

Former Employee - Senior Contract Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot about the industry there. Clean working environment.

Cons

They value people who accept low pay and are not seasoned

Advice to Management

Perhaps it wasn't wise to rid yourself of everyone within the working ranks who had knowledge beyond that of a greenhorn. It takes time to learn contracts, underwriting and billing, but yet they let go of 150 people in a satellite office on a cold day in January 2009. Like lambs to the slaughter we were herded into a hotel banquet room while the president of the company, fresh from Oregon opened our firing with a joke about the snow and cold weather. Some of us gave up our homes and moved 3,500 miles to go to Portland to enjoy a 3 year reprieve only to be laid off again. All 180 of us were senior level employees with vested retirement. It made no sense until 2015 when word got out that The Standard had been sold to a foreign entity. Like many, my employment began in 2002. Like many, I thought I would retire from the job and company I loved. Not once, but twice I believed that management valued me and twice I was let down and was forced to look for another job when the country was in upheaval. My advice to management would be to not view your employees as cattle or "widgets". Maybe try rewarding those who always took on the biggest challenges who didn't have 20 easy pieces to go into inspection instead of placing them on an Excel spreadsheet, in red, and then send the list out to the entire company. Management by shame is not humane. Maybe hand out a 5 at yearly review instead of telling your employees that that number is reserved for those who walk on water. It is regular practice for management to put an employee through a prove your worth interview type yearly review meeting. Put your gladiator gear on folks. You will need to fight your coworkers for a piece of the raise pie that those above you have alotted for the year, if any. End of year is a ruthless time and not pleasant. Hopefully for those left behind the new regime might be able to restructure the company to the awesome place it once was. If anyone is still working there who had a hand in the terrible things they did to me and 150 others the outlook for change is very dismal like the weather in Oregon.