The Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Standard President & CEO J. Greg Ness
J. Greg Ness

1. "Accountant"

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment and great pay and benefits

Cons

Training was a mess and concerns about lack of understanding were ignored. Management seemed to be more motivated in looking good to peers than training and growing staff. Also long work hours (but that was mainly my team, not a widespread problem)

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, follow-up on concerns, and try to make them stronger employees instead of punishing them for easily fixed limitations.

2. "Multiple jobs within the company"

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

So many great employees who work at The Standard!! I have had the pleasure of working with talented and caring employees who truly want to do a good job and make a difference.

I know 'insurance' doesn't should interesting to many people, but I have enjoyed learning the process and technology involved in running this company. Technology is improving, but it's is a slow and gradual journey.

Cons

Even with so many great employees, there is often an 'us' against 'them' battle that happens between department who work together and LOTS of passive aggressive behavior. I can't understand how so many great people can treat each other so poorly.

Every team feels the 'so much work and not enough time or people' problem! Hard working employees pay the price and put in many extra hours, while seeing low performing employees not pulling their weight. The focus on Lean is headed in the right direction, but not coming fast enough!

Benefits and pay are fair, but not exceptional. HR department seems to have the worst turnover in the company, which is concerning.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be engaged with all levels of employees. I know there is a focus on building a high performance culture, but it seems like many managers are still unclear on what that means. Find a way to harmonize new employees with long tenured, they both are needed to run this company. Encourage employees to treat each other with respect and call out bad behavior before it becomes a problem. Portland is a growing city and commute times are placing a burden on employee work/life balance. Trust that you have hired great employees and give them flexibility and work from home options.

"QA Analyst"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a steady job...

Cons

It was boring, with a culture that was boring. There were lots of workshop type events to attempt to jazz it up, but going to work every day was like turning off your soul and going.

"Overall, good company to work for. Slow on adapting new technology."

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has adopted the LEAN management approach and has invested a significant amount of time and money in it. If you work hard, and are open to change, there are tons of opportunities for advancement or lateral moves into different divisions.

Cons

The pay is on the low side of average. The company is slow to adapt to new technology (and waits until existing technology is so old it's no longer supported before working on replacement). As with all large companies, there can be a tremendous difference in work environment from manager to manager. I have been lucky enough to have had only 1 awful morale-buster of a manager as a temporary fill-in, but several other great managers who have been my cheerleader in growing my skills and advancing my career.

Advice to Management

Continue the LEAN approach. Continue to develop managers into people coaches. **Invest in technology - for the sake of the employees, but also for the sake of the customers!**

"Terrible Senior Leadership - Bush-league managers"

Pros

I guess if you need income while you are looking for another job. There are some nice people that work here.

Cons

Insular culture with managers having no clue or interest in how things work in modern companies in the "outside world"
    Sexist and disrespectful environment is tolerated in the Sales organization
    Managers with no people or leadership skills who are clueless enough to be arrogant
    Promoting and providing opportunities based on who is the biggest suck up
    Culture of Fear
    Top-down and top heavy hierarchical management structure
    No communication or transparency about business strategy-because there likely isn't one
    Very few women and no minorities in senior leadership roles. None in the executive ranks.
    White males prosper
    Disengaged managers offering no value or mentoring
    Low morale
    Old school, status quo, "good old boy" environment
    Leaders don't want feedback
    High turnover
    Sinking ship
    Behind the times technology and products
    Avoid this place at all costs!

Advice to Management

Clean House

"Worst company ever....."

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

I cannot provide any positive comments about this company.

Cons

There are many. Allow me to list them here.

1. The process for completing background checks and former employment history is a nightmare.
    2. The company has either outsourced or subcontracted their HR functions to locations all over the US so it is very difficult to coordinate times to talk, communicate or respond to requests for information.
    3. The orientation is nothing short of pathetic. There was not one single component of the orientation that gave me any idea of what the company did, how the company was organized or where to find important information. For example, it wasn't until I had the opportunity to meet with the head of the company that I found out they had been purchased by a Japanese company.
    4. Their IT infrastructure is nothing short of archaic and outdated. It is a joke.
    5. There are many people who have been there for decades and therefore it is almost impossible to learn the tribal knowledge.

Advice to Management

I have none because it would fall on deaf ears.

8. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Disability Benefit Examiner in Tanasbourne, OR
    Former Employee - Disability Benefit Examiner in Tanasbourne, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like most things what you put into your experience is what you will get out of it. Staff is supportive and friendly; management will give you the tools needed to succeed and the training is in depth, but a lot in a little time.

Cons

Work load can be excessive at times and while their a lot of opportunities for personal and professional growth often the day to day requirements do not allow you the time to take advantage.

"good ethical company not great pay"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good culture and employees, good benefits and retirement. most employees are long-term and you can learn a lot from them

Cons

low base pay and bonus relative to the industry, difficult to promote due to so many long time employees. also a relatively small company so not a lot of areas to move to

10. "Fantastic Place to Work"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Leonia, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Leonia, NJ

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, Great Community, Motivation, Bonus

Cons

Long Hours but that's Sales

11. "Love it"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Company that gives back

Cons

Other then being in downtown portland, nothing