The Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management pushes process improvement a little too hard (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management is completely out of touch (in 11 reviews)

"A Word of Caution...."

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I believe that their benefits are generous. They are also in a great location; as it is fun to work downtown. Their cafeteria is pretty terrific as well.

Cons

I can only speak from my personal experience but the IT department was not only unresponsive, outsourced, impossible to reach & unavailable but trapped in the 1990's. It was remarkable to join a large, well-respected company only to spend my first two weeks trying to get my Outlook account set up.

Advice to Management

I won't waste my time or yours as you have not been responsive to the countless recommendations and pieces of feedback already listed.

"Instructional Designer"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pockets of positive culture. A few fantastically smart, awesome coworkers.

Cons

Many dysfunctional departments and unqualified, self-centered managers. Constant churn of employees and reshuffling of departments creates atmosphere of fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Advice to Management

Enough 'our people are our most valuable asset' talk. Show that you mean it by cleaning up management, or confess that people are replaceable widgets.

Nov 17, 2017 – Second Vice President, Shared Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry that your experience as an employee has been negatively impacted. It is important to me that our managers demonstrate expertise and focus on helping... More

"Avoid IT at this company AT ALL COSTS"

Pros

Pay is reasonable, and many great individual contributors.

Cons

One of the worst IT organizations I have ever seen. This place is fraught with so much dysfunction & incompetent management it is staggering. Particularly avoid working in the project management area - one of the leaders (no joke) has brain damage.

Advice to Management

Purge your IT leadership & start over again. Terrible.

"Actuarial Assistant"

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

great flexibility, can work from home

Cons

low pay, slow tech movement

"Company in transition"

Former Employee - Management in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Management in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers; good locations; some people willing to do the right things at the right time.

Cons

Unresponsive management and HR to critical issues such as harassment, diversity, and salary issues. They seem to be stuck in an 80's loop of "Boys Club" mentality, not to mention the "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil" avoidance of real issues that go on within the front line staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to front line staff and make serious changes to diversity model. STOP the harassment that is rampant with the management team. Do so Immediately.

Nov 17, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very sorry to see your experience with The Standard wasn’t entirely favorable. As a senior leader of the organization, I take seriously... More

"Great company"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The smaller departments are like family. The pay is nice, and the management seems to care about consumers and employees.

Cons

I don't have any cons for this company

Advice to Management

Keep it up guys!

Oct 23, 2017 – Standard Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are glad to hear you had a positive experience.

"Was a better employer before being sold in March 2017"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Downtown central location. 3 week charity matching donation program each September. Supportive of bike commuting riders. Do spent money on civic and progressive initiatives.

Cons

Pretty lame bonus program for non-management personnel. Not supportive of alternative work schedule or working from home. Minimal tuition assistance for college.

Advice to Management

Need to quit cutting benefits to save costs. Turnover of experienced staff is wide spread and not a visible point of concern. Need to be more flexible to alternative work schedules.

"Don't drink the Kool-Aid"

Former Employee - Employee Benefits Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Employee Benefits Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Couldn't think of any for my current location but there are a lot of cons. Definitely stay away from the SE region.

Cons

Don't drink the Kool-aid. This is a very dated company that isn't evolving like the competition. The managers need to be mentors and help mold new agents better, this means being proactive in their development and not just sitting in their office and not communicating with them, be hands on with them. The SE region isn't management material and if this company wants to grow they need to wash away with ones who are not committed to the training program. The management in the SE region has no clue how to lead. I've come across some excellent managers and some really bad ones and I can't say there is a good one here. Don't get me wrong there are some really sharp people here, but definitely not the SE region. Recently, a new hire entered that office and the manger completely let him fail and I felt horrible for him. I would look at companies like UNUM, Lincoln, Humana, and Hartford.

Advice to Management

Don't keep managers just because of tenure. If they can't develop and lead a team there is no point of keeping them on board. Get some new blood who will help the newer reps and not egoistic older managers who've lost their game to lead these branches. It helps us seasoned reps when we have new rookies who can help.

9. "A fine place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community focus with generous yearly charitable giving campaign. Flexible and alternative work arrangements. Many opportunities to move within the company. Leaders encourage personal and business development.

Cons

Very limited health benefit plan options (CDHP plans only); otherwise, average benefit package. Portland offices are next to government buildings where many protests and rallies happen.

10. "Good Culture, Flexible hours"

Current Employee - DCA in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - DCA in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great managers, laid back culture

Cons

low pay, poor yearly performance greatly affects bonuses