The Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

The Standard Reviews

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Lies, Lies, Lies.... (but they smile while telling them)"

Former Employee - Senior Contract Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot about the industry there. Clean working environment.

Cons

They value people who accept low pay and are not seasoned

Advice to Management

Perhaps it wasn't wise to rid yourself of everyone within the working ranks who had knowledge beyond that of a greenhorn. It takes time to learn contracts, underwriting and billing, but yet they let go of 150 people in a satellite office on a cold day in January 2009. Like lambs to the slaughter we were herded into a hotel banquet room while the president of the company, fresh from Oregon opened our firing with a joke about the snow and cold weather. Some of us gave up our homes and moved 3,500 miles to go to Portland to enjoy a 3 year reprieve only to be laid off again. All 180 of us were senior level employees with vested retirement. It made no sense until 2015 when word got out that The Standard had been sold to a foreign entity. Like many, my employment began in 2002. Like many, I thought I would retire from the job and company I loved. Not once, but twice I believed that management valued me and twice I was let down and was forced to look for another job when the country was in upheaval. My advice to management would be to not view your employees as cattle or "widgets". Maybe try rewarding those who always took on the biggest challenges who didn't have 20 easy pieces to go into inspection instead of placing them on an Excel spreadsheet, in red, and then send the list out to the entire company. Management by shame is not humane. Maybe hand out a 5 at yearly review instead of telling your employees that that number is reserved for those who walk on water. It is regular practice for management to put an employee through a prove your worth interview type yearly review meeting. Put your gladiator gear on folks. You will need to fight your coworkers for a piece of the raise pie that those above you have alotted for the year, if any. End of year is a ruthless time and not pleasant. Hopefully for those left behind the new regime might be able to restructure the company to the awesome place it once was. If anyone is still working there who had a hand in the terrible things they did to me and 150 others the outlook for change is very dismal like the weather in Oregon.

"Glad to be gone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked my coworkers axnd the flexibility of hours.

Cons

Too many. Too many take backs of benefits. Promotions seemed based on brown nosing not skills. The lack of acknowledging good work and the rush to tell you of yor faults. The poor to no raises. The lack of civility from many managers. The contemptbfrom upper management towards individual contributors.

Advice to Management

This is not junior high. Thank people. Reward them. Give real raises.

"The Worst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Some co-workers were great. Downtown Portland is vibrant. That's about it.

Cons

My time at the Standard included abject racism, daily harassment and blatant nepotism by supervisors. Normally a couple of bad apples wouldn't be an indictment of an entire company, but in the Standard's case, HR and management knew this was happening and stood idly by until they were compelled to act by outside forces. The core values of the company are not some mumbo-jumbo about "Be Good to People" or "Do the Right Thing", it is invariably "What is the easiest road for management and how do we act accordingly".

"Den of thieves above, vinegar factory below"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard (More than a year)

Pros

Better than unemployment, working outside or on an assembly line.

During slow season in the summer you can totally get away with goofing off on the internet all day.

Cons

CEO Greg Ness made his millions by sacrificing his employee's health and sanity. Managers are sociopathic narcissists. "Behind every great fortune lies a great crime." That crime is working 2,000+ people to death for peanuts and 1% raises, then paying their snobby management overlords to sit in meetings about nothing all day and tell their workers to "Smile!"

The caste system is in effect. Upper management would rather leave the room than look a temp in the eye. Just a sick unsustainable system fueled by a huge uninterrupted inflow of nonrenewable one year temp contracts. They intentionally do not let their massive temp workforce stick around long enough to get promoted and change things for the better, which is what would inevitably happen if the company were allowed to reach equilibrium. The work environment has nowhere to go but up, they know that and intentionally keep it there in order to maintain control over their tin pot dictatorship.

If the whole company were a single person it would be a bitter old white racist baby boomer millionaire with a slowly progressing terminal illness on an IV drip made of the blood of snake people keeping him alive. The closest real life thing to a vampire.

Advice to Management

Let's not kid ourselves by pretending management has any interest in advice. Their exploitation game is perfected to an art.

"Great company to work for with opportunity, but room to grow in compensation."

Current Employee - Disability Benefits Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They promote with in, and are give the customers the benefit of the dout in grey areas.

Cons

They don't pay enough and people leave in flocks for better pay and the lital get slammed with unreasonable case loads.

Advice to Management

Pay employees a competative wage , and acknolwedge the outrageous cost of living boom in Portland. The CEO, Greg Ness gave us a lesson in budgeting at last years annual meeting, telling us we could choose to eat steak each night or top ramen. This year he talked about how the employees on the ground floor were above average, yet the salaries are not competitive. He's out of touch with his company, and living the life of an out of touch CEO.

"You can do much better"

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

Some great people are [trapped] working here; the home office is a great downtown location.

Cons

The Standard pays a mediocre compensation for an insane amount of work. Employees received laughable raises which barely covered cost of living increases. There is no such thing as work-life balance. The technology is so poor that it's difficult for employees to be efficient at their jobs, which is required in a fast-paced environment, and there is no indication that change is coming soon. People are leaving, and they can't hire enough folks to replace them, so the workload has become agonizing. What makes it worse is that management does not ask for employees opinions/thoughts/feelings about their work environment, which is beginning to feel oppressive. The overall culture is nothing like anywhere I've ever worked, and not in a good way.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, ask your tenured and employees with expertise their insight on how to improve morale and keep talented employees with the company. However, there are so many cons, it might be best to wipe the slate clean in the Benefits Department, get rid of the oppressive regime, and start with a fresh perspective.

"Uninspiring Leadership"

I have been working at The Standard full-time

Pros

Great Location. Solid Benefits. Nice co-workers.

Cons

Mediocre senior leadership. Lack of investment in IT over the past decade(s) is a ticking time bomb. I can't even describe how far behind we are - you'd have to see it to believe it.

Advice to Management

Use the recent change in ownership as an opportunity to stop chasing quarterly results and finally focus on making good long term decisions.

"Frustrating"

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Examiner in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Examiner in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really great co-workers. Some ability to work from home. Great commitment to clients.

Cons

Management, no consistency. Technology in dark ages. Bend over backwards for clients, employees not so much.

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth. Communication. Treat employees like you value them, stop the lip service.

"EB Sales"

Former Employee - Employee Benefits Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Employee Benefits Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at The Standard (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and benefits, people usually stay a long time and develop life long relationships and friendships.

Cons

Company will have difficulty being identified as a NW company, ( if that is what they want) and maintaining and continuing the culture since they were acquired by the Japanese firm.

Advice to Management

To continue to move forward, but remember how they got there.

11. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner III in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner III in Washington, DC

I worked at The Standard (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, Flexible Schedule, Easy to be Successful

Cons

Cant think of anything important.

Advice to Management

None