KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Stelter Company Reviews

Updated Sep 4, 2021

Found 17 of over 17 reviews

4.0
The Stelter Company CEO Larry Stelter  (no image)
Larry Stelter

249 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Work hard, play hard, do good!

Jun 4, 2021 - Client Success Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are phenomenal. Upper management is always transparent and the leadership throughout the company is honest and caring.

Cons

We work really, really hard.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Decent company if you are on their good side

Sep 4, 2021 - Senior Web Designer in West Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture was fun and people somewhat truly care for you

Cons

You feel like you have to be a part of the niche group to be able to move up the ladder

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great family company

Sep 25, 2019 - Marketing Communications Writer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture/community is amazing, easy to work on projects you're interested in and make a difference

Cons

Easy to get burnt out, miscommunication/misunderstandings between different departments is common

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Supportive and fun place to work

Aug 30, 2019 - Project Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Stelter Company is a great place to work. They are the most supportive company I have ever worked for. They have a knack for hiring kind people, which makes a big difference in your day-to-day work. You will have a lot of work to do, but if you are okay with the feeling of never being "caught up", this will be the place for you. The culture was fun (employee events, fun committees, celebrations). Leadership was very open about company performance and accepting of employee feedback. Management was excellent. They focused on employee development and satisfaction, as well as job performance. It's a smaller company, so most people feel connected and can get to know each other. Great for young professionals.

Cons

The hardest part of working here was the workload and client interactions. Most clients are easy to work with, but as with any client-facing role, some are a challenge. Salaries aren't the highest, but I felt it was worth it for the company atmosphere.

5. 2.0
    Former Contractor

Temporary Position

Apr 14, 2019 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Pay, friendly work environment

Cons

High turnover, my temporary position timeframe constantly changed. Management consistently used the term 'building the plane we're flying in' while working on projects. My direct manager was not knowledgable of the details on my work.

6. 5.0
    Former Contractor

Digital Project Coordinator

Oct 31, 2018 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly and caring environment! Loved it! Web and PM teams I worked with were great!

Cons

Lights were kind dimmer and sometimes make people little lay back and sleepy.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best Company I've Worked For

Aug 15, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for other family owned companies and large corporations. This is the first company I've ever worked for in which I truly feel cares about me, my wife, kids and each other. I work remotely, so I'm not in the home office on a daily basis. However, over 6 years, I've been to the office enough and know there is a special camaraderie about this place. Others have noted there are favorites amongst employees. i will have to respectfully disagree. There's a mutual accountability between all of the employees at Stelter. This is a very innovative and respected company and if you can't meet expectations, things may not work out in your favor. Stelter has always been the leader in the gift planning marketing space and expectations are high. Therefore, in order to remain on top and as cutting edge as possible to build a compelling future for both us and our clients, there's going to be change. A lot of employees don't like change. In an environment where our learning leads to action for improvement, change is imminent. In a high paced environment, this company is hands down the best at having fun and reinvesting in it's employees. In addition, from a philanthropy standpoint, Stelter practices what it preaches and gives back in so many. This sentiment makes all the hard work gratifying.

Cons

In the pursuit for excellence, you really have to make sure you're hiring the right people and the best fit for the position and culture. I think we've done a good job of making the right hire, but could always improve on making sure we hire folks who are always willing to go above and beyond.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee

It's What You Make of It

Apr 22, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The employees know how to have fun and work hard at the same time. A previous reviewer made a comment that we hire based on if someone fits in or not and that IS true - culture is important and that is part of it. Why work with people you don't like and have nothing in common with? There is also a spirit of service - we are willing to jump in and help others. Sometimes that is work related and sometimes it is not - we support one another and do what we can to help each other. I see these other reviewers talking about how there are "favorites" at Stelter but, the fact of the matter is, the people that are considered to be favorites are the people who work the hardest and give the most every day. They are the ones that leave it all on the table every day and go above and beyond what is being asked of them. The people that come in and do the minimum amount of effort are the ones who are complaining that they aren't getting special recognition. The way I see it, Stelter is what you make of it...if you give it your all, you'll get it back in spades.

Cons

We work hard - very hard. We've had a rough couple of years with some new product implementations and, well, there were some tough times in there. Funny thing, though - during those times we didn't lose more than a couple of employees. I think that is a real testament to people's dedication to their work and to the company. If there was ever a time to jump ship, that was it. There always seem to be changes going on at the company - whether it be new processes, products or just changing the seating, there is always something going on. I actually think that is a "Pro" because it creates new opportunities and keeps things interesting but I recognize that change is hard for some people. At the pace we work at Stelter, there isn't always time to let people catch their breath and collect themselves.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee

Believe the negative reviews, not the positive

Apr 17, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The office is nice and many of the employees are great to work with. The company was much better before the owners retired and handed the company over to the managers. The work/life balance is pretty great.

Cons

The glaringly positive reviews were placed on here because management asked their favorites to come on and do so to try and negate the negative reviews. The bad reviews are 100% true and after those reviews were placed on this site, employees were fired for voicing their honest opinions via this anonymous site. The company has fired employees who voice concerns to management and now they have taken it a step further by searching out the employees who wrote the negative reviews on here to fire them. Instead of talking to the individuals and listening to their concerns, the company choose to get rid of them immediately. Favoritism is rampant within this company and if you're not one of managements favorites, you likely won't last long or your career will be stagnant.

8 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Nice Place to Work

Dec 2, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, fulfilling work. A push for work/life balance rather than just paying lip service to the idea. The Stelter family treated all the employees very well.

Cons

There wasn't a lot of room to advance. The middle management layer was getting a bit bloated. Seemed to be transitioning to a more traditionally corporate atmosphere.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews