The Sterling Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Property Manager"

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for several property management companies during my career and I can honestly say that The Sterling Group has been the best experience. The work and life balance is exceptional and always understanding. I have worked for Sterling for over three years and my Regional Director and Area Manager are very compassionate and supportive. I am given all the tools and resources that I need to effectively do my job. The benefits and time off are better than most property management companies in my experience.

Cons

The only con I would say is that the supplemental benefits are expensive in comparison to other property management companies that I have worked for such as short term disability and dental coverage.

Dec 18, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we are doing. We are glad you are enjoying your time with us so far. It is nice to hear that we are doing well from someone who is so... More

2. "Stretched too thin, everyone is burned out!"

I have been working at The Sterling Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay- although I've been told I'm getting screwed on my wage compared to other management companies in the area. If you have a doctor appt (or anything to that effect) they are flexible. Sterling wants to help & give you the resources you need to succeed.

Cons

I was raised not to complain - put your nose to the grindstone & do your best. However, i cant hold it in any longer! This company - it's alot of hard, tedious work. The staff turnover is crazy! Every new RD that comes in has "bigger, brighter better" input on how things should be done. I believe this is the 4th or 5th RD ive had..lost count after a while. RD expects every ounce of my time to be spent doing reports & answering emails at ALL hours of the day. My email was going off on my cell at 5:32am today, seriously??! Oh be prepared, when you submit any report,of course, something isn't exactly how she wants it - it's exhausting. Sterling says they are "family focussed" but 1 day off for Thanksgiving and 1.5 days off for Christmas?? No Christmas parties for anyone who works onsite. Two staff members told me today their husbands want them to start looking for a new job because of the work loads/stress. Can't say I blame them. It feels like we are constanly short staffed when we are full staffed. 3 office employees on a large property with everything you expect - why? We. Are. Tired.

Advice to Management

Without being able to hire a 4th office staff member, my suggestion would be to stop having staff work Saturday's (Or maybe just by appointment only). Having 2 people in the office on a business day is burning us out. Other than that, maybe revise the holiday schedule so we can spend some hours with our families vs our coworkers?
     I hope this review is looked at as extremely honest feedback rather than offending anyone at Sterling -thats not my intention.

Oct 23, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Your opinion is of great value to us, and we are glad you shared your stance on things. At Sterling we truly do value a work/life... More

"Bad Career Choice"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Charleston, SC

I worked at The Sterling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After working for this company you will know when you should quit a job. I learned to ask more questions and read company reviews on Glassdoor before accepting any job offers.

Cons

There is no teamwork, respect, communication or support from upper management/inner circle. You will see most of your co workers leave the company either by choice or firing squad and they will not be replaced. Trying to cover the added work load will be impossible and you will also be considered just another bad employee. No amount of hard work, dedication, experience or education will pay off with this company.

Advice to Management

Ownership and upper management is disconnected from the people who are working to make the company successful.

Nov 7, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Hello there, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and we are sorry to see you go. We understand that some of our locations are understaffed and are making efforts to accommodate staff... More

4. "Anonymous"

I worked at The Sterling Group full-time

Pros

Great bunch of people, family-oriented and flexible schedule.

Cons

There is no room for advancement

Oct 2, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Although we were sad to see you leave we are glad you enjoyed the work environment Sterling offers. If you have any other suggestions or... More

5. "Sterling Treats You Like Family"

Current Employee - Management Administrative Specialist in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Management Administrative Specialist in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sterling is a great company to grow with, I started out as a Property Manager, then was promoted to a Senior Manager, and now I am working at the corporate office, where I am excited to continue to grow.

Cons

No cons to review on.

Oct 2, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We always love to see longevity among our associates. Congratulations on your promotion! Please let us know how we can further your growth as a... More

6. "Not a pleasant experience"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at The Sterling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent HR Dept., Sterling is good at selecting quality associates

Cons

Paper before people, micro managers, too little investment financially to improve the assets, hypocritical regarding mission statement

Advice to Management

Reduce redundancy & work load so colleagues can actually get the real work done. Stop running convential assets like they're tax credit.

Oct 2, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Hello there, we are sorry to see you go. We want to ensure that all business practices strategically chosen to support our mission statement and provide our customers with the best service possible... More

7. "Bad leadership, unhappy employees"

Former Employee - Senior Property Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Property Manager

I worked at The Sterling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate staff was amazing. The culture they preach about was wonderful and it would have bee great if it were true. Recruiting of great employees, training offered.

Cons

Micro micro managed, paper was the focus and reports there were so many reports it was the heaviest I've ever had in my career. Little praise and no reward even when you lease up a problematic deal. Promises were not kep my management, I worked for them twice and thought what were you thinking!!! It wasn't hard to leave but it was truly a learning environment, too bad it was what not to do than how to do examples....

Advice to Management

Can't say anything they won't listen anyway! Find a new culture.

Oct 2, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Hello, we are sorry to hear about your negative experience with us and are sad to see you leave. However, we do encourage a work/life balance that is not too demanding. Please reach out to us so we... More

8. "Growing company with exciting opportunities"

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time

Pros

Pros at Sterling are definitely the people, commitment to a fun work environment, and commitment to success

Cons

Cons are technology is not as advanced due to the size of company but it is a focused effort as the company grows

Sep 18, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for such a positive rating. At Sterling, we pride ourselves on establishing a family-oriented work environment and are glad when our employees recognize the efforts. We try to implement... More

9. "Overworked and under appreciated."

I have been working at The Sterling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People. Sterling manages to recruit excellent candidates. The people at the home office are really nice and are there to help. Sterling pays fair wages in my opinion.

Cons

Turnover is exceptionally high. Very qualified candidates burnout due to work loads, stress levels, and lack of praise. The Regional Managers are spread too thin. They are not able to develop their managers. So much focus- from Regionals- on what you've done wrong. Absolutely no praise or 'atta boys' to go around. Way too many reports. Managers are not as involved with the budget process as with other companies. It's hard to adhere to a budget you had little input on.

New and seasoned employees look to leave the company due to workloads and broken processes.

Advice to Management

Develop the RD team to understand how to mentor the site teams. The workload for RDs is too much. Other PM companies do employee appreciation events. Sterling is lacking in this category. Find a way to boost morale and to let your most prized assets know you couldn't do this without them.

Prevent turnover!!! Perhaps boosting morale will help with this. But too many folks leave Sterling. Folks that have lots to offer.

Reduce reporting. Find what really matters and do away with excessive reporting.

Allow Property Managers to be more involved with budgeting.

Have round table meetings with site teams regionally. Our teams have great people with great ideas. The things they have to say could save money, increase leasing, or boost employee morale.

Sep 18, 2017 – Marketing Intern

Thank you for taking the time to leave this honest response. Our employees are our most prized assets and we would love to encourage their opinions and ideas. We pride ourselves on creating a... More

10. "A Great Experience"

Pros

Fair pay, no micromanagement, approachable executive team, and all the support you are willing to find. All the tools are available to succeed, but you need to be self sufficient and know who to approach for assistance.

Cons

Health insurance could be better, and I would enjoy if unused PTO would be paid out. You shouldn't be penalized financially for working hard.