The Stowe Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Uncommon Commitment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Stowe Group (More than a year)

Pros

I have been a recruiter for a few years now and I will say that it is a very challenging but very rewarding career path. It's not challenging because the position itself takes a genius level intellect but because when you are dealing with people day in and day out there are a lot of things that can go wrong and it can be difficult to keep a positive attitude. That being said, The Stowe Group is a tight knit company that provides all the career support I could need. With individuals at all levels of the organization willing to offer their support and advice, it's hard to not find an answer when you encounter a problem.
    One of the main negative aspects all recruiters and sales individuals here and experience in the industry is a high turnover rate. I'm happy to say that through a combination of great company culture, strong leadership (that provides one on one support), and an excellent opportunity to further career growth, The Stowe Group has a remarkably small turnover rate which has resulted in the tight knit culture i mentioned above.
    In addition to the great culture, management, and low turnover rate, The Stowe Group provides you an excellent opportunity to meet and exceed your financial goals. However, the key word here is opportunity, meaning that it is in your hands to go out there and make money which is made possible through a great commission structure and a base salary.

Cons

Some of the cons of working at The Stowe Group are that it can be a high stress environment due to it being a sales atmosphere, but as i mentioned above there are more than enough resources and tools to help you succeed. Anywhere you go in the recruiting industry there will be stress, metrics, calls, etc. but the low turnover rate I have seen here and the success of those around me provides me with daily motivation to work hard and let my results mitigate the pressure this industry can provide.
    When all is said and done, our motto of "uncommon commitment" and to be uncommonly committed it can sometimes require a little sacrifice.

Advice to Management

Keep providing one on one support and creating new ventures for lower level people in the company to lead. The industry is growing and changing and I think management has done a great job at remaining flexible and adaptable to the changes. Keep an open mind and an open ear to people at all levels of the organization and continue your efforts on exploring new revenue opportunities and increasing team cohesion.

"Your efforts will be better spent elsewhere"

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great to have as colleagues. If you do manage to land a large account, you could make great money.

Great location next to Market St

Parking Garage

Delivery team is great at finding niche skillsetts (if they believe in your account).

Beer Fridays, outings at times and they are making efforts to improve culture.

Cons

Unfortunately some of the high raving reviews seem fabricated. (posted on the same day?) My review is honest.

Salary, but held to hourly responsibilities and scheduled lunch. Salary is only in place to take away OT.

I came into this position as a seasoned sales rep being told i would be taking on active accounts to manage/expand along with finding new business. This was false, the interview was a bait and switch.

However, i stuck it out. I did manage to crack into a few accounts early my start and received rookie of the year with several billing resources out in the field. Unfortunately, Stowe was unwilling to adapt to my clients process, so they went dark. (as why several of the large accounts are phasing them out). You will find this as a true struggle, Stowe does not work with VMS clients, they work around them and push for large margins. This provides zero benefit to the client after the desperate need is gone, so they return to their other vendors. After realizing the direction and true purpose of the company, i did not see a path to success and put in my notice. However, i accepted a counter offer and stayed. Yet again, things spoken about did not happen and Stowe was unwilling to collaborate with our parent company as planned, we got left behind.

I didn't allow that to slow me down and continued looking for new opportunity, i found great partnership opportunities with new clients that where developing at a great rate with several meetings. This was not enough, do not expect to have the time to be able to develop relationships/mind-share. The BDM's still with the org, received active accounts coming in the door to expand. NOT break into. They did so with the help of the Presidents reach, once that was maxed out...the company was sold, and it's growth has stopped. These accounts have slowed down greatly now as well. They are still using staffing services, just not overpaying for Stowe.

I agree with that some of the wrong people were hired, however during my 18 months there, we went through 3 Sales VP's/Directors, only 1 out of 9 new sales reps hired remains...and Sr leadership is changing again....that is more than ones efforts being the issue. Seems like only a matter of time until the parent company absorbs the accounts, they've already moved into the same office.

Coming in, you will be giving a list of contacts that have been called hundreds of time to crack into. There is no real marketing, only email campaigns which you call on "clicks" done by spam filters. There is a large effort in finding new business (which i did) but not a real effort to support/fill it. Yes, as a BDM it was my responsibility to close a deal. However, i can't close a sale when someone is asking for a Ferrari and we only have a Honda at a Ferrari price to go sell them....They are worried about the "quick easy wins" desperate times call for desperate measures.

I wan't to say, i can only speak for the sales side of the business. The recruiting side seems to have a much better "vibe".

Advice to Management

Unsure what to say here. Several things to mention, but continue trying to improve the culture. Implement a Presidents club. Take time during work hours for events, rather than making it all post work. More importantly, support new BDM's coming in. Look at new business as what it could become, rather than how tough it is to fill.

Best of luck

Mar 6, 2017 – President

Stowe Group is a performance-based organization, and all employees are held accountable for meeting certain metrics. This employee was given multiple opportunities over an 18 month period, and he was... More

"Do not work here."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people in the office are nice. Beer Friday's. The President of the company is really down to earth -Jeff Durand

Cons

The Stowe Group needs to close their doors. Unless you've been there a couple years, you will never have a decent account. They tell you there is so much room for growth, there's not !! They never hit their goals.

Favoritism for the favorite 5 sales people is ridiculous. Completely unprofessional.

Unattainable goals were expected. They wanted you to fail. Always felt on edge.

Beware if you walk in 2 minutes late when your commute is over an hour !!!!

Advice to Management

Close the doors.

Aug 23, 2016 – President

The Stowe Group has not had a business development manager with more than 5 years at the company ever leave the company. It is disappointing that someone would post such a negative review; however... More

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Stowe Group full-time

Pros

Great team. I truly enjoy all the people I work with. Management really listens to advice from all employees. Income is truly uncapped. This job is 100% what you make of it, and if you're dedicated you can make good money quickly. I would absolutely recommend to a friend. This isn't a chop shop. We produce quality candidates which is important to me. Quality over quantity.

Cons

Salary is a little below market average but the overall compensation plan is fair. This is a sales position if you're driven you'll make the commission and your compensation will soar :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!

May 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for the input and review! We will keep trying!

"Run the other way - fast."

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beer on Fridays and some fun people to work with in the office.

Cons

Everything else. They are a staffing firm that cannot get out of their own way. Morale is horrible, leadership is disconnected and has no idea what they're doing. Favoritism is played in the office. Micro-management is extremely high. Owned by Manpower/Experis. Shady politics behind closed doors even though there's a policy for "transparency". Their methodologies and tactics are horrible and they instill bad habits in their reps both on the sales AND recruiting side. The goals they have in place for 2016 at this point are completely unattainable and unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Quite frankly, dissolve the company and let people collect instead of killing people off slowly and firing them.

Apr 18, 2016 – President

This is a disappointing review. The Stowe Group invests a great deal in its employees from initial and continuing training to company events and social activities. If this individual considered all... More

"Great Company w/ Great People - Excellent Reputation in the National Healthcare IT Staffing Market"

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a Staffing Sales Veteran with over seven years of industry experience, during which I worked for multiple firms in the New England area, I would put Stowe Group at the top of the list as the best organization I personally have worked for. Having recently left Stowe to take an opportunity outside the staffing industry, I am happy to provide an unbiased review from the perspective of an employee that enjoyed a great deal of success during my multi-year tenure with the company, and in contrast to many of the negative reviews I have seen recently from terminated employees who were ultimately unable to produce. At the end of the day, this is sales in an extremely competitive industry. However, if you are a talented and dedicated sales professional, there is a no shortage of opportunity for growth at Stowe.

Pros of Stowe Group:
    - Focus on Healthcare IT which is one of the hottest markets in the industry
    - Very talented and experienced Recruiting Team (you will be able to deliver on the promises you make to your clients)
    - An impressive client list of prestigious healthcare providers and vendors, and overall Stowe has an excellent reputation as a top firm in the healthcare IT staffing industry
    - Excellent Senior Management Team; the President and new VP of Sales are both very involved in the day-to-day, and their doors are always open to ALL employees.
    - Access to sales intelligence tools like DiscoverOrg and LinkedIn Sales Navigator
    - Solid commission plan with uncapped potential
    - Top performers are recognized; once you proven yourself will have the chance to be transferred new high-potential accounts, or accounts with active billing consultants/MSAs.
    - DCS Program helps BDMs by assigning a "Director of Client Services" to high-activity or high-potential accounts. These internal Stowe employees are Healthcare IT industry experts who will help you expand relationships in your top target accounts, create proposals, respond to RFPs, and help manage your active consultants in key accounts that require a lot of administrative time -allowing you to get back to developing new business.
    - Internal methodologies/processes that set Stowe apart from the competition
    - Great culture and people; one of the best teams I have ever worked with - talented team that understands work hard/play hard. Beer on Fridays, Regular company outings, sales contests, etc.

Cons

Stowe experienced a significant amount of growth in 2015, and was acquired by a large Fortune 500 global staffing/services company in October. The acquisition itself has its positives and negatives, but at the time it surprised a lot of people and brought about a general feeling of uncertainty, however that has mostly subsided and the pre-acquisition President and VP of Sales stayed in place and are leading the company in a positive direction today. With that said, there are still some negatives:

Cons of Stowe Group:
    - New benefits in 2016 leave much to be desired; new health plan is very costly
    - Experienced a lot of turnover in the 2nd half of 2015; I believe mostly a result of growing too quickly coupled with some questionable hires that were never able to "put together the pieces" and begin producing.
    - Overall team morale has taken a hit over the past few months, which is a result of several factors, such as: recent turnover, negativity from certain individuals, and a sentiment among some that there is significant favoritism in the decisions that management make. With that said, management has been proactive to address issues (whether real or perceived) and improvement is already being seen in this area.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace all of the values that has allowed Stowe to build such a special culture. Continue to recognize your top performers and provide creative advancement opportunities for them. While continuing your growth in 2016, I would be more selective while hiring future BDMs; only hiring individuals with a demonstrated track record as a top performer in previous sales positions, whether that be in staffing or another industry. I understand the thought process behind hiring highly-motivated individuals who are less experienced, but when I think of the current top performers at Stowe this would be the primary common denominator.

Mar 4, 2016 – President

Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful review. Your constructive feedback will be incorporated into our hiring and team building initiatives.

"Great Culture - Poor Management"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome team. The delivery/recruiting team and Sales team work hand in hand to ensure seamless process and the delivery team takes an objective approach to each open statement of work.

Cons

I am a seasoned sales professional with multiple years in the staffing industry, I would not refer anyone to Stowe Group personally.

Micromanagement at it's worst. 3 minutes late? Get a text message. "As long as you know you need to make up the time" style. Strictly black and white metrics driven, no look at the "small wins" that lead up to major wins and new clients. You will be micromanaged on your time, your dials, your time on the phone, and really will not be able to "run your own desk" - even though you're told from the get go that that is what you will be doing.

You will be 100% cold-calling. Even though "qualified" files will be put in your database, they are old files, or files with no successful touches in well over a year, and most of them have been burnt by previous account managers, however some management will swear up and down they are awesome files.

The leads that are sent are horrible, and not verified

Upper management is very separated and disconnected. A lot of favoritism is played within the organization. Their current approach will not allow them to hit their revenue goals for 2016.

Advice to Management

People don't leave companies, they leave managers. Look to your managers, and you will see the real issues at hand.

"Agency in an Extraordinarily Competitive Market"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time

Pros

Co-workers are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They really believe in helping each other as much as possible.

Cons

100% Cold calling atmosphere. As long as you're okay with 65+ voicemail's a day then this is not a con.

Advice to Management

Cut down the number of meetings per week by 90%. If cold calling is the only tool at your disposal, then give your employees as much time on the phone as possible; five 1 hour meetings per week is too much.

"Be Weary, This Is a Staffing Agency"

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time

Pros

Colleagues were the only reason I got through the day, all nice people.

Cons

- Call it what it what is is STAFFING
    - Micro-managed
    - Even though salaried, your watched like a hawk in terms of time you come and leave.
    - "Everything falls on the BDM's shoulders" - if your not performing or your roles aren't getting filled, its your fault, only additional training is role plays.
    - Trained to speak until hung-up on.

SEE BELOW - Taken from Job board on company site.

"The BDM’s role is to take advantage of our CAPTURE methodology, which generates 50 warm leads/week for our sales force, and drive continued growth and new business in the healthcare IT industry." - The leads are only generated from reviewing current job postings or from recruiters speaking to candidates and finding where else they've applied.

1) "Initial 3 weeks of classroom curriculum based training that will include details on our Mission, Vision, and Values, as well as a deep dive into our process, methodologies, and Industry" - they do a great job training you about their mindset, but be prepared to have it broken up and inconsistent, you might be thrown on the phone your first day.

2) "30 day training plan to include specific Miller Heiman based sales training as well as a full panoramic overview our the Healthcare industry and related technology" - This doesn't happen, according to management it was "embedded" in your training but I never received any formal sales training.

3) "60 day training plan to include developing your own customized 12 month Personal Business Plan (PBR) for success. Your PBR will include specific tools, training, and account development activities required to get you to where you want to go" - This is a spread sheet that outlines how many starts you'll need to meet your financial goals. There is no additional training, tools or account development activities, you're 100% responsible for driving up the starts you need in order to hit your plan and despite how many open roles you get, you need to rely on recruiting to fill them. Your "Personal" plan isn't very personal when you need to rely on others.

FINAL NOTE - IF YOU ARE ASSIGNED A TERRITORY, IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. ACCOUNT ARE GIVEN TO WHOEVER MANAGEMENT WANTS DESPITE WHOSE TERRITORY IT FALLS INTO.

Bottom line, apply somewhere else, OR if you have the funding, start your own business because if you work here you'll basically be working for yourself with management breathing down your neck.

Advice to Management

I'd recommend listening to your employees. You were constantly stating "we hired you because you're smart people" yet never implemented any of the suggestions made. Cold calling is one of many ways to stir up business but it is only one way. To be successful you need to drive leads, market who you actually are and get your name out there. I don't believe I ever spoke to a single person that had heard of The Stowe Group. Being that you're such a small company making a big push and footprint to get people to know who you are is key.

Sep 28, 2015 – President

We take pride in holding our employees accountable to our company’s Uncommon Commitment. As part of that accountability, our employees are expected to meet or exceed core metrics that have been... More

"Great company and team"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Stowe Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapidly growing company with a great culture. There are no egos within the office. Everyone is trained well and knows how the properly recruit quality candidates.

Cons

Sales environment is not for everyone