The Stowe Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Jeff Durand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"The One Thing You Can Control is Your Effort"

I have been working at The Stowe Group full-time

Pros

Let me start off by saying, like any business, especially sales, what you get is what you put in. This company exemplifies this methodology by handing you the opportunity to make what you want out of your time here. Your success is a DIRECT derivative of your own work ethic.

I have witnessed the work ethic of the people who have wrote the negative reviews on here, and let me tell you this - take their reviews with a grain of salt. Anyone who took the time to speak negatively on Glassdoor about their former employer is probably coming from a place of anger, which usually means they felt something was unfair. Perhaps they assumed they would be handed "success". As witnessed, these folks were given plenty of chances to prove themselves. The only thing handed to anyone here is the opportunity to be surrounded by talented people who are willing to help & guide you IF YOU LET THEM. If you are not open to putting the work in for professional growth, if you allow negativity control your work ethic and don't have a willingness to learn, perhaps this industry is not for you.

My personal experience has been amazing! I have never felt so much support from managers in my career. They support my professional and personal needs and have had my back since day 1. These managers have given chances to new hires and where other firms would have fired people much sooner, management actually BELIEVES in personal growth and gives people chances (after chance). That is hard to find. This industry is not easy, and it is so nice to have employees here who support you on your best & worst days. I learned fast how my effort and work ethic is the #1 factor in my definition of success. This job has taught me how to accept the uncontrollables, and manage my expectations appropriately.

Things don't always go your way in life as well as in the staffing industry and having managers & colleagues coach you through that process emotionally & professionally has been a gift. There is a caliber of mental toughness that is required in sales that unfortunately people do learn the hard way they do not have. I struggle with it but I fight it because I want to work here and for my managers. I can honestly say, if it weren't for management and my colleagues, I would have given up - but their belief in me, has encouraged me & empowered me to believe in myself which is something I could not have received any where else. I am so grateful for that.

Cons

This section is not applicable for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. We believe in you as much as you believe in us. Thank you for your continuous support & faith in this company and us as employees.

2. "Staff"

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time

Pros

The owner and some management are nice.

Cons

They don't have company policies and procedures in place.

3. "Unfortunate to see all the false reviews..."

I have been working at The Stowe Group full-time

Pros

In almost 3 years of working here, I’ve never written a review on Stowe because there are so many fabricated ones, but I finally feel inclined to share some input. There are many, many “pros” to Stowe, and it’s upsetting to see some of the reviews posted recently, especially since several are not only inaccurate depictions of the company, but false reviews from employees who never actually existed. (As an example, we haven’t had a recruiter who’s worked here for 3+ years leave, we’ve never had a 5+ year BDM leave, etc…)
    The way I see it is you only get out what you put in, in both your personal life and your professional life. Starting with the Stowe Group as an entry level BDM or recruiter is like starting as an entry level BDM or recruiter anywhere, whether it be a large staffing/recruiting firm that’s been around for 50 years, or a small, boutique 25 person firm that’s been around for 10. The beauty of a smaller, more intimate team like Stowe, is that we have the ability to build methodologies that truly work rather than being another body in another chair, following the same playbook the big-box shops have been for 50+ years.
    Regardless, you’ll have the same professional expectations whether you’re here or somewhere else. There will be a minimum amount of dials you’re expected to make each day. You will be tasked to build your book of business (or base of buyers) before ALL else, because quite frankly, without that, you won’t get anywhere anyway. There will be an expectation that you’re old enough and mature enough to time your drive to be to work on-time, at LEAST for the most part, and not expect a free pass every single time when you’re late multiple times a week (and yes, that applies to people who live both down the road and out of state). You will be expected to maintain a level of professionalism while in the office – your attire being a part of that.
    Stowe gives you the tools to succeed here; what you do with them is your own prerogative.

Some other "Pros" here:
    - True, close-knit team
    - Group outings (bowling, fundraising/charity, happy hours, etc).
    - Competitive commission plans

Cons

Unfortunately, our biggest “con” stems from what I spoke of above. Many newer employees have a hard time grasping what it is that Stowe does and why we’ve been so successful for the last 10+ years, whether it be that they don’t like being here at 8am, don’t like making calls (responsibility #1 of this role, it’s not like we hide it), or something else. Unfortunately, because of that, there’s been some significant turnover in the last 12-18 months, which -- in turn -- affects the overall morale of the company.

Advice to Management

Stowe recognizes most of what needs to be done to stay on top, one of them being that as the industry changes, we also must change. Stowe has a pretty rigorous process in which we follow in order to fulfill all of our client/customer needs. Sometimes, those get in our own way. I shy away from “advice” to management, because I believe they’ve a handle on it.

"Your efforts will be better spent elsewhere"

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great to have as colleagues. If you do manage to land a large account, you could make great money.

Great location next to Market St

Parking Garage

Delivery team is great at finding niche skillsetts (if they believe in your account).

Beer Fridays, outings at times and they are making efforts to improve culture.

Cons

Unfortunately some of the high raving reviews seem fabricated. (posted on the same day?) My review is honest.

Salary, but held to hourly responsibilities and scheduled lunch. Salary is only in place to take away OT.

I came into this position as a seasoned sales rep being told i would be taking on active accounts to manage/expand along with finding new business. This was false, the interview was a bait and switch.

However, i stuck it out. I did manage to crack into a few accounts early my start and received rookie of the year with several billing resources out in the field. Unfortunately, Stowe was unwilling to adapt to my clients process, so they went dark. (as why several of the large accounts are phasing them out). You will find this as a true struggle, Stowe does not work with VMS clients, they work around them and push for large margins. This provides zero benefit to the client after the desperate need is gone, so they return to their other vendors. After realizing the direction and true purpose of the company, i did not see a path to success and put in my notice. However, i accepted a counter offer and stayed. Yet again, things spoken about did not happen and Stowe was unwilling to collaborate with our parent company as planned, we got left behind.

I didn't allow that to slow me down and continued looking for new opportunity, i found great partnership opportunities with new clients that where developing at a great rate with several meetings. This was not enough, do not expect to have the time to be able to develop relationships/mind-share. The BDM's still with the org, received active accounts coming in the door to expand. NOT break into. They did so with the help of the Presidents reach, once that was maxed out...the company was sold, and it's growth has stopped. These accounts have slowed down greatly now as well. They are still using staffing services, just not overpaying for Stowe.

I agree with that some of the wrong people were hired, however during my 18 months there, we went through 3 Sales VP's/Directors, only 1 out of 9 new sales reps hired remains...and Sr leadership is changing again....that is more than ones efforts being the issue. Seems like only a matter of time until the parent company absorbs the accounts, they've already moved into the same office.

Coming in, you will be giving a list of contacts that have been called hundreds of time to crack into. There is no real marketing, only email campaigns which you call on "clicks" done by spam filters. There is a large effort in finding new business (which i did) but not a real effort to support/fill it. Yes, as a BDM it was my responsibility to close a deal. However, i can't close a sale when someone is asking for a Ferrari and we only have a Honda at a Ferrari price to go sell them....They are worried about the "quick easy wins" desperate times call for desperate measures.

I wan't to say, i can only speak for the sales side of the business. The recruiting side seems to have a much better "vibe".

Advice to Management

Unsure what to say here. Several things to mention, but continue trying to improve the culture. Implement a Presidents club. Take time during work hours for events, rather than making it all post work. More importantly, support new BDM's coming in. Look at new business as what it could become, rather than how tough it is to fill.

Best of luck

Mar 6, 2017 – President

Stowe Group is a performance-based organization, and all employees are held accountable for meeting certain metrics. This employee was given multiple opportunities over an 18 month period, and he was... More

5. "Uncommon Commitment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Stowe Group (More than a year)

Pros

I have been a recruiter for a few years now and I will say that it is a very challenging but very rewarding career path. It's not challenging because the position itself takes a genius level intellect but because when you are dealing with people day in and day out there are a lot of things that can go wrong and it can be difficult to keep a positive attitude. That being said, The Stowe Group is a tight knit company that provides all the career support I could need. With individuals at all levels of the organization willing to offer their support and advice, it's hard to not find an answer when you encounter a problem.
    One of the main negative aspects all recruiters and sales individuals here and experience in the industry is a high turnover rate. I'm happy to say that through a combination of great company culture, strong leadership (that provides one on one support), and an excellent opportunity to further career growth, The Stowe Group has a remarkably small turnover rate which has resulted in the tight knit culture i mentioned above.
    In addition to the great culture, management, and low turnover rate, The Stowe Group provides you an excellent opportunity to meet and exceed your financial goals. However, the key word here is opportunity, meaning that it is in your hands to go out there and make money which is made possible through a great commission structure and a base salary.

Cons

Some of the cons of working at The Stowe Group are that it can be a high stress environment due to it being a sales atmosphere, but as i mentioned above there are more than enough resources and tools to help you succeed. Anywhere you go in the recruiting industry there will be stress, metrics, calls, etc. but the low turnover rate I have seen here and the success of those around me provides me with daily motivation to work hard and let my results mitigate the pressure this industry can provide.
    When all is said and done, our motto of "uncommon commitment" and to be uncommonly committed it can sometimes require a little sacrifice.

Advice to Management

Keep providing one on one support and creating new ventures for lower level people in the company to lead. The industry is growing and changing and I think management has done a great job at remaining flexible and adaptable to the changes. Keep an open mind and an open ear to people at all levels of the organization and continue your efforts on exploring new revenue opportunities and increasing team cohesion.

"Do not work here."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people in the office are nice. Beer Friday's. The President of the company is really down to earth -Jeff Durand

Cons

The Stowe Group needs to close their doors. Unless you've been there a couple years, you will never have a decent account. They tell you there is so much room for growth, there's not !! They never hit their goals.

Favoritism for the favorite 5 sales people is ridiculous. Completely unprofessional.

Unattainable goals were expected. They wanted you to fail. Always felt on edge.

Beware if you walk in 2 minutes late when your commute is over an hour !!!!

Advice to Management

Close the doors.

Aug 23, 2016 – President

The Stowe Group has not had a business development manager with more than 5 years at the company ever leave the company. It is disappointing that someone would post such a negative review; however... More

7. "Not bad for seasoned Sales Professionals"

Pros

The people you work with are great. There's a go-getter atmosphere and everyone is motivated.There is beer on Fridays which is always fun and music throughout the day to help take your mind off of the fact that you're cold calling all day and/or trying to cast a wide net in building a base of buyers with people who have never heard of The Stowe Group. Lauren and Jeff are great managers and metrics are reasonable. Contests create great incentive to work harder to achieve/exceed goals as well.

Cons

If you're new to the sales world or staffing industry this is not the place for you. While NOW they wouldn't take you on as someone with little to no experience, that wasn't the case when I started. There were empty promises about training and guidance when in reality it was training on Healthcare and IT terminology as well as their QUESST methodology and then you're pretty much thrown to the wolves to make calls and figure it out. This is probably due to changes in management but it took away from the tools and training I was promised. It gets to a point where if you're not producing you're put on a performance plan. Logical, right? Until you evaluate the success of other BDM's and realize they are producing from accounts handed to them while others are cut loose after making no traction on accounts they try to build from the ground up. So one has to wonder where the balance on the spectrum lies? Don't get me wrong, your efforts do not go unnoticed. However, it doesn't take away from the fact that they do not invest in your success with training and guidance other than a "mentor" program which consists of being sat next to seasoned salesmen and being expected to listen to and learn from their tactics. Which can be helpful to an extent. For example, it's helpful when one has a pipeline or open roles and can use their guidance. Doesn't do much for someone cold calling and leaving 60+ voice mails all day, everyday.

Advice to Management

Training shouldn't only consist of QUESST repeatedly but should focus more on creative ways to be successful in the sales role. Also, although I think management may already acknowledge this mistake, do not bring on inexperienced BDMs unless it's for lead generation because they will be set up to fail, unintentionally. Focus on bringing on experienced sales reps to help grow the business. Keep up the great work in maintaining a positive atmosphere. Also great job in integrating the Sales and Recruiting team and keeping them on the same page with procedures as well as just working as a team in general. There's been some positive change in that aspect in my time here and I think if management keeps that up then it could continue to be a positive aspect for the Stowe Group.

May 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for your insights, perspective and constructive feedback. I will make sure we incorporate it into our training and sales management program.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at The Stowe Group full-time

Pros

Great team. I truly enjoy all the people I work with. Management really listens to advice from all employees. Income is truly uncapped. This job is 100% what you make of it, and if you're dedicated you can make good money quickly. I would absolutely recommend to a friend. This isn't a chop shop. We produce quality candidates which is important to me. Quality over quantity.

Cons

Salary is a little below market average but the overall compensation plan is fair. This is a sales position if you're driven you'll make the commission and your compensation will soar :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!

May 23, 2016 – President

Thank you for the input and review! We will keep trying!

"Run the other way - fast."

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beer on Fridays and some fun people to work with in the office.

Cons

Everything else. They are a staffing firm that cannot get out of their own way. Morale is horrible, leadership is disconnected and has no idea what they're doing. Favoritism is played in the office. Micro-management is extremely high. Owned by Manpower/Experis. Shady politics behind closed doors even though there's a policy for "transparency". Their methodologies and tactics are horrible and they instill bad habits in their reps both on the sales AND recruiting side. The goals they have in place for 2016 at this point are completely unattainable and unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Quite frankly, dissolve the company and let people collect instead of killing people off slowly and firing them.

Apr 18, 2016 – President

This is a disappointing review. The Stowe Group invests a great deal in its employees from initial and continuing training to company events and social activities. If this individual considered all... More

"Great Company w/ Great People - Excellent Reputation in the National Healthcare IT Staffing Market"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Wakefield, MA

I worked at The Stowe Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a Staffing Sales Veteran with over seven years of industry experience, during which I worked for multiple firms in the New England area, I would put Stowe Group at the top of the list as the best organization I personally have worked for. Having recently left Stowe to take an opportunity outside the staffing industry, I am happy to provide an unbiased review from the perspective of an employee that enjoyed a great deal of success during my multi-year tenure with the company, and in contrast to many of the negative reviews I have seen recently from terminated employees who were ultimately unable to produce. At the end of the day, this is sales in an extremely competitive industry. However, if you are a talented and dedicated sales professional, there is a no shortage of opportunity for growth at Stowe.

Pros of Stowe Group:
    - Focus on Healthcare IT which is one of the hottest markets in the industry
    - Very talented and experienced Recruiting Team (you will be able to deliver on the promises you make to your clients)
    - An impressive client list of prestigious healthcare providers and vendors, and overall Stowe has an excellent reputation as a top firm in the healthcare IT staffing industry
    - Excellent Senior Management Team; the President and new VP of Sales are both very involved in the day-to-day, and their doors are always open to ALL employees.
    - Access to sales intelligence tools like DiscoverOrg and LinkedIn Sales Navigator
    - Solid commission plan with uncapped potential
    - Top performers are recognized; once you proven yourself will have the chance to be transferred new high-potential accounts, or accounts with active billing consultants/MSAs.
    - DCS Program helps BDMs by assigning a "Director of Client Services" to high-activity or high-potential accounts. These internal Stowe employees are Healthcare IT industry experts who will help you expand relationships in your top target accounts, create proposals, respond to RFPs, and help manage your active consultants in key accounts that require a lot of administrative time -allowing you to get back to developing new business.
    - Internal methodologies/processes that set Stowe apart from the competition
    - Great culture and people; one of the best teams I have ever worked with - talented team that understands work hard/play hard. Beer on Fridays, Regular company outings, sales contests, etc.

Cons

Stowe experienced a significant amount of growth in 2015, and was acquired by a large Fortune 500 global staffing/services company in October. The acquisition itself has its positives and negatives, but at the time it surprised a lot of people and brought about a general feeling of uncertainty, however that has mostly subsided and the pre-acquisition President and VP of Sales stayed in place and are leading the company in a positive direction today. With that said, there are still some negatives:

Cons of Stowe Group:
    - New benefits in 2016 leave much to be desired; new health plan is very costly
    - Experienced a lot of turnover in the 2nd half of 2015; I believe mostly a result of growing too quickly coupled with some questionable hires that were never able to "put together the pieces" and begin producing.
    - Overall team morale has taken a hit over the past few months, which is a result of several factors, such as: recent turnover, negativity from certain individuals, and a sentiment among some that there is significant favoritism in the decisions that management make. With that said, management has been proactive to address issues (whether real or perceived) and improvement is already being seen in this area.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace all of the values that has allowed Stowe to build such a special culture. Continue to recognize your top performers and provide creative advancement opportunities for them. While continuing your growth in 2016, I would be more selective while hiring future BDMs; only hiring individuals with a demonstrated track record as a top performer in previous sales positions, whether that be in staffing or another industry. I understand the thought process behind hiring highly-motivated individuals who are less experienced, but when I think of the current top performers at Stowe this would be the primary common denominator.

Mar 4, 2016 – President

Thank you for the thorough and thoughtful review. Your constructive feedback will be incorporated into our hiring and team building initiatives.