The Strategic Coach Reviews | Glassdoor

The Strategic Coach Reviews

4.2
Dan Sullivan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The model of a great entrepreneurial workplace."

Current Employee - Illustrator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Illustrator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Strategic Coach (More than 10 years)

Pros

In its workshops, Strategic Coach teaches entrepreneurs how to achieve their lifetime goals, but in a way that also creates opportunities for everyone who comes into contact with them -- team members, clients, and family, too. As such, they really have to model themselves the principles they teach others. And they do -- genuinely, creatively, and with honest care for each team members' development.

I've worked with the company since 1998, and they've been incredibly flexible and supportive with me through my various life-changes, like moves and shifting career interests. Because of their commitment to "Unique Ability" -- the talents and passion that drive an individual -- they create opportunities wherever possible to express this at work, knowing that this is how to get the best out of a person.

Often, I've seen this lead to people moving on to create their own companies or pursue other opportunities, and this is always met with gratitude for the time spent at Coach and good wishes for the future.

Lots of companies use words like "family", but when the pressure's on, they treat their employees as functionaries, expenses, tools. I resisted the family feel at Coach for years, thinking I needed to keep some kind of objectivity in order to protect myself, but now I've given that up completely. It's simply not necessary here, because this company really is true to its principles, all the way down to its DNA.

If you have the opportunity to work here, do it. There's such a focus on self-development here that you can't help but come out of the experience as a better version of yourself. My life is immeasurably better for the relationship I have with Strategic Coach's owners and my fellow team members, and I'm doing work I truly love. I couldn't ask for better.

Cons

There are really none. I've learned that Coach is as good as you let it be.

2. "Great culture, lots of freedom"

I have been working at The Strategic Coach full-time

Pros

• Very supportive culture that encourages personal growth and taps into what you're truly good at (they set you up with several tests to measure your work style and strengths - KOLBE, DISC, StrengthsFinder)
    • Strong team environment that is very friendly and helpful
    • Fun and creative atmosphere (lots of laughter in the office)
    • Generous holidays and flextime
    • They provide the tools you need to do your job, and they stay up to date with technology
    • Work-life balance is very important to this company so you won't be expected to pull late hours or bring work stuff home

Cons

• Noise can sometimes be an issue in the office (most of the time it's fine)
    • Far from the subway line (Toronto)

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Strategic Coach full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strategic Coach has a unique company culture. It's an entrepreneurial business and it attracts team members with an "entrepreneurial attitude." It's a truly fun place to work and the Spirit Team is always coming up with great ideas for parties, lunches, and team activities.

The work is rewarding because the company is making a difference in many people's lives, helping them to work better and smarter and free themselves up to have better lives overall.

Everyone really takes pride in their work.

Rather than a hierarchy where employees move vertically, Coach takes a "Unique Ability" approach where people grow by contributing value based on their unique talents.

Cons

These are cons only if you're not a right-fit: The work here requires that you have "batteries inlcuded" — that is, you're a self-starter and self-motivated. You have to be willing to grow and be able to adapt to change. You have to take ownership over your work and your results.

4. "Good vacation/benefits, no job security"

Pros

4 weeks of vacation, great benefits, very creative colleagues, fun social events

Cons

must buy in to their own created work ethics, no notice before firing, pays out severance to alleviate reason for letting someone go.

5. "Limited growth opportunities for employees"

I worked at The Strategic Coach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Knowing you played a part in positively impacting a client's business can be rewarding

Cons

Internal politics can be difficult to navigate. It is a company that preaches growth and encouraging team building based on strengths to clients, but doesn't fully implement what they preach. Individual career growth can be slow due to the small size of the company.

6. "Great place to start"

I have been working at The Strategic Coach part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, very friendly and relaxed, flexible hours, long vacation days if you work full-time, great food on workshop days, offers tools to help you discover your personal strengths and weaknesses, which could potentially help you with other future jobs

Cons

Starting wage isn't very competitive, some office politics, limited potential for career growth unless you're specifically geared towards the coaching business, which I am not (finance)