The Teaching Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Teaching Company Reviews

Updated Sep 20, 2019

Found 68 reviews

3.7
The Teaching Company CEO Paul Suijk (no image)
Paul Suijk
Pros
  • "Good culture, good people, great product(in 9 reviews)

• "Good team, many employees are very intelligent, hard working and ready to help(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "They don't have a work from home system set up for call center reps, which is too bad(in 5 reviews)

• "Lack of diversity for people of color in frontline management-senior management positions(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great product, good culture"

Current Employee - Creative Group in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a not-too-small company that feels like a small company. The people are like family, very inviting, supportive, trusting, and employee-focused. The courses are wonderful. My team provides a lot of flexibility and autonomy.

Cons

Could benefit by taking more risks, trying new things.

Advice to Management

Would be nice to breakdown and diversify the C-level hierarchy a little.

The Teaching Company2019-05-16

June 5, 2019The Teaching Company

Thank you for the positive response. We respect your opinion and it is employees like you who add value to the company.

2. "Empowered, down to earth management, but poor pay, benefits, time management"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at TTC, people treated me with the respect of being an expert in my field and empowered me to make decisions to improve the infrastructure and systems in the company. I accomplished many projects in the year I worked there. My direct manager was pretty great--he got out of your way and didn't micro-manage, but when he was needed, he was usually there. It does reek a bit of the "Gool ol boys" club, as most... of the managers are stalwarts who have been there for a very very long time.

Cons

The salary is lower than larger competitors/enterprises. If you complain, they'll effectively say they can't afford to pay more. There was no bonuses. The insurance wasn't great. The time management/ask of employees/work life balance was not fair. When things were busy, they added an evening shift for production, and then still expected me to be supporting them without any raise or compensation. They also would... not effectively staff a backup for me, who was critical to support various business systems. This made it extremely difficult to take any vacation or even take a sick day. They had no WFH policy. When there was a terrible snow storm in VA, IT staff was still expected to risk their safety to come in to the office when there was absolutely no need.

Advice to Management

Not having cross-trained/backup staff for your IT systems is a critical issue you should address. When I left the company, I left with a standard notice and left before the guy replacing me was actually hired, meaning much of my systems knowledge was likely lost and made the new guy starting's job likely very difficult. If I had just walked off the job the company would have been in a very bad state.... Properly compensate your employees to compete in the DC area so you won't lose your talent. Ensure they can actually take vacations and enjoy their job/work-life balance.

The Teaching Company2019-09-20
  3. "Head of Production clueless and petty"

Current Employee - Production in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best people to work with

Cons

More of a call center than a media company. Not a creative environment,

Advice to Management

Production department is not the same as a call center.

The Teaching Company2019-09-10

September 11, 2019The Teaching Company

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This is not how The Teaching Company prides itself as an employer, and we're sorry if this is your experience. We take our work place environment and company culture seriously. We will be looking into this and sharing the ...

4. "Within my department, there was great comraderie and cooperation"

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a company with many great people. The product is also great. After some time, employees in the call center were permitted to work from home! We occasionally had workshops where we could improve ourselves, our communication skills, and even sometimes we had some fun events. I felt the support, the atmosphere and the people in the contact center were excellent. At times, top performers were rewarded with... a dinner out at a restaurant, etc. That was really appreciated! This is a company with great ideals, and I was very proud to work here. My co-workers and direct supervisors were hard-working, intelligent, pleasant, fun and great at problem-solving and helping each other. Contests and small events helped bring everyone together, but the digital "chat" feature was wonderful so we could easily communicate with each other, and work remotely. This was not a relaxing job, but most of the incoming calls were decent customers and we had good leadership and team leads to help us resolve issues. There were a lot of improvements made during my time there - to help us be more efficient and productive.

Cons

In the last year I was there, the work was becoming relentless and exhausting, as in there weren't enough people to take the calls in a timely manner. To adapt, we had less meetings and so forth, b/c we were just too busy . This was unfortunate. I was a bit disappointed in how I usually didn't get the feeling that upper management or other departments valued us or our feedback . Although we took pride in our... level of customer service, technical issues, misleading wording, or just the enormous amount of confusing marketing deals, coupons, discount codes, etc., sometimes causes confusion and problems, often causing headaches for us and the customers. Sometimes the frequency or irregularity of these sales and difficulties can be self-defeating.

Advice to Management

The contact center often feels it is not in the loop or included in the same way as other departments. You have some excellent and loyal employees (trainers, supervisors and agents) that are working under stressful conditions, which would benefit from feeling more support and value from the top of the company and other departments.

The Teaching Company2019-08-27

September 11, 2019The Teaching Company

We recognize that we’re not perfect, but we really try to provide the kind of work environment you describe. Thanks for being part of The Great Courses Team!

"Great Coworkers, terrible upper management"

Former Employee - Video Editor/Producer

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the coworkers, the work itself was fulfilling despite being highly repetitive.

Cons

Upper management was painfully disconnected from their employees. Even lower management seriously struggled with listening to their subordinates and trusting them. Constant micro managing and very little trust or encouragement to try new and creative things.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, the endless emails for CYA purposes were soul draining and exhausting. Stand up for each other, rather than blaming when a project is late or something hasn't worked out correctly, take responsibility and step up.

The Teaching Company2019-07-30

"Really depends on what you want,"

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a good experience working at the teaching company. The hiring process was fast and easy, HR was very professional. Good team, many employees are very intelligent, hard working and ready to help. Great place for your first two jobs. You will learn a lot here. 20 days of PTO are provided, 401K match not bad.

Cons

Compensation is below the average, and a few rounds of layoffs. There are many competitors in e-learning area, the teaching company has its advantages other competitors do not have. However, it's products only appeal to a very small portion of the population, and hard expand to other more profitable demographics. Technology has been out of date. So if you are on tech side and are at senior level already, and you... care about if the working experience here will help a lot on your future career path from technology prospective, better to look around. Otherwise, it is OK.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees.

The Teaching Company2019-05-19

June 5, 2019The Teaching Company

Thank you for your response!. We appreciate your feedback. We are definitely working on making the right changes at the right time and prioritizing accordingly.

7. "Good company with great people"

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good culture, good people, great product

Cons

Some issues with management not listening to team

Advice to Management

listen to your team

The Teaching Company2019-04-08

April 16, 2019The Teaching Company

Thank you for your positive feedback. We value our employees greatly and are proud to have you on our team. We take all the suggestions seriously and we will be sharing your feedback with the leaders.

8. "Good team work, good collaboration"

Current Employee - Analytics

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People collaborate together to make stuff happen. Teams are smaller so everyone has a good sense of urgency to get work done.

Cons

Given the PE ownership structure, funding for new projects is hard. Management is supportive of newer ventures but getting the funding is dependent on the budget cycle and it can be generally unclear of how that operates

Advice to Management

Get smaller groups of cross functional teams together to present findings or share work. Outside the coffee/lunch rooms, it can be tough for teams to cross collaborate with each other

The Teaching Company2019-02-19

February 22, 2019The Teaching Company

Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate it and are glad to have you on our team.

"Weak CEO, Weak Managers, Low Expectations"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most of the people are nice

Cons

Management is like a puddle. They keep hiring from within, playing musical chairs with weak VP's. The CEO is Clueless. The company is failing.

Advice to Management

Mid August 2018 people who had been with the company for over 12 years jumped ship.

The Teaching Company2019-03-26

April 16, 2019The Teaching Company

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This is not how The Teaching Company prides itself as an employer, and we're sorry if this was your experience.

10. "Great Product, but...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exceptionally intelligent staff. Great product.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower side. Company vision is very reactionary and behind the curve technologically.

Advice to Management

Enhance marketing and branding efforts of your product to appeal to a younger and more diverse demographic. Get ahead of emerging trends in consumption and update content accordingly.

The Teaching Company2018-12-14

April 16, 2019The Teaching Company

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We value the opinions of all of our employees and appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. We will be sure to share it with our leaders.

Found 68 reviews