The Teaching Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul Suijk

Pros
  • A great product that make improves the lives of others--I like working for a company involved in education (in 7 reviews)

• The product is great and there are some fantastic people who work in Customer Care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't have a work from home system set up for call center reps, which is too bad (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of diversity for people of color in frontline management-senior management positions (in 5 reviews)

1. "Associate Procucer"

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Going through a lot of change

Mar 13, 2017 – The Teaching Company

Thank you for your positive review. We are glad that you are enjoying your time here at The Teaching Company.

2. "Associate Producer"

Former Employee - Asssocaite Producer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Asssocaite Producer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, good product, you learn a lot on each new subject

Cons

Not much training, left to own devices a lot

Advice to Management

Manuel needs to be created so Associate Producers can all be on the same page. Many different policies were followed, each different.

Mar 13, 2017 – The Teaching Company

Thanks for your review and suggestion. TTC is undertaking a lot of new initiatives this year which will focus on closing out the gaps.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Pros

It was fine, it was run like a startup, but had the feel of a large company

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

I though Management did a good job, I would recommend.

Feb 3, 2017 – The Teaching Company

Thanks you for the review. We are glad that you enjoyed your time in The Teaching Company. We strive hard to make ourselves a preferred employer.

"Springboard Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Haymarket, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Haymarket, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Teaching Company (TTC) has afforded me opportunities to learn new skills and grow a career.
    They produce an amazing product that I’m proud to say I am a part of.
    I love the work I do, and I enjoy working with most of the team at TTC.
    TTC offers comprehensive benefits, and personally for me it’s a great commute.
    Also, there is relatively little micromanaging (in my role). I have the freedom to do my job without hindrance.

Cons

There’s an old joke that goes like this:

Two managers are talking and one says to the other, “What if we invest in our employees and they leave?”
    To which the other manager responds, “What if we don’t and they stay!”

The joke is amusing unless you’re the butt of it. And at TTC, you often feel like the butt.

The scenario the joke leaves out is one too often seen at TTC; "What if we don't invest in them, and they leave because of that?" While opportunities arise as positions are vacated, once you take on your role, you're locked in without room to grow, so don't count on TTC developing your skills. Just do the work, take on more tasks until you burn out, then move on to the next employer.

Here are some of my personal observations from my years of working for TTC:

Employees in first level management and below are some of the most creative, driven, talented, and hardworking people you’ll ever meet, but the integrity disintegrates the higher up you go on the management chain.

While benefits are still above average, they are being chipped away every year. The benefit package was quite robust upon being hired years ago, but seems to be losing luster every year. Don't get me wrong, HR pumps up the bennies like they're selling you a Jaguar, but you'll actually be getting a Corolla. The benefits are practical and comprehensive, but don't get starry-eyed from HR gushing over them. Many of the benefits are tied to how the company is doing as a whole, and I haven't received a true bonus in years!

Pay can range from good to lean based on where you end up in the company. For example, entry level call center representative pay is higher than average, but being promoted from within the company can put you at a disadvantage as you likely will not receive the same pay level as someone being hired in from outside the company.

While still subject to the elitism of upper management, the CMO is a good enough guy with what seems like a steady plan for the company. However, his background is in flipping companies, which (as a current employee) is unsettling. I worry about what happens when the company sells. Will people will lose their jobs while upper management laughs all the way to the bank? This might seem overly paranoid on my part, but the lack of transparency in upper management only adds to the building anxiety.

Upper management is cold and unapproachable, to speak nothing of the overly obvious lack of diversity. Don’t bother talking to them or offering your ideas because they aren’t listening to you unless you are also upper management. They passively berate their subordinates, but that’s how they know you exist. The average associate level employees don’t even get a “hello” in the hallway from management because they simply do not even register on their importance radar.

Even if you wanted to speak with management, you’re out of luck because they’re probably in a meeting. TTC has more meetings to meet about meeting to discuss meeting for more meetings. The over-indulgence of meetings became so prevalent that TTC brought in a professional to meet with everyone in the company to teach them how to have more effective meetings. Sadly, that was another waste of money for the company, as we are still heavily saturated in muddled, ineffective meetings.

Yearly layoffs have been a viable way to skirt EBITDA shortcomings, though 2016 was especially brutal. This year TTC went right for the salary jugular. And while TTC wiped out some dead weight, a few really good people got caught up in the cut as well. As a small company perpetrating as a large company, TTC is already running lean, so you can only imagine how the workload becomes exponentially more heavy with every person TTC let go. Sadly, those left behind are expected to carry on, but are not compensated for the additional work they have added to their already full workload. Good people aren’t given the help they need and burn out under the circumstances. The current hiring freeze makes getting any relief impossible.

Speaking of workloads, there is a terrifying amount of core jobs within the company that have little to no redundancy. It’s a wonder we’ve carried on as well as we have over the years. Backup plans, emergency plans, and contingency plans are not highly prioritized. As a TTC employee, you quickly learn to always CYA as you will be the person blamed for shortcomings, even if it was due to lack of support or resources.

Speaking of resources, don’t even get me started on the technology. Assembled of spit and duct tape with a work-around for everything, TTC repeatedly goes cheap and pays the price. I realize budgets are a real hindrance, but there is truth in the saying ‘do it nice or do it twice’. TTC often pays for going cheap with additional man hours and having to buy a better version of something because the cheap version doesn’t do what TTC needs it to do. TTC is a company banking on technology, to save its business, but we can’t get enough upfront capitol to keep relevant.

With everything that’s been said, I want to have hope for this company. As I mentioned before, I will always be thankful to this company for the opportunities it has afforded me, but like many employees here, I feel that this is a classic “springboard company”. You come in, you gain your experience, then you hit a wall with your career advancement where you find yourself in a position with no growth potential. With nowhere to go at TTC, you then take all your experience and knowledge gained from TTC and springboard into the next job.

Advice to Management

Not that they'll hear if from their ivory tower, but please empower your people instead of tearing them down. You hired them because they are competent and good for the company.

Feb 3, 2017 – The Teaching Company

We thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about some of your experiences here. The Teaching Company is working hard on our development areas and there has a been a lot of positive ... More

"CEO and CBO flushing company down the toilet."

Current Employee - Marketing in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are good people who work hard. They do the best they can to work with a CEO and a CBO who are little more than greedy charlatans who are in way over there head.

Cons

TGC's hands are tied because most of their resources are being siphoned by venture capitalists, so they slowly bleed the value out of their employees, the product, and even their customers. The few resources they do have are spent incompetently by a CEO that means well, but can't do the job. He has 100% faith in a CBO that is incapable of understanding the company, the product, or the brand, yet somehow he's in charge of a big part of all these things. Neither of them have the insight, capability, or experience to run a company.

Advice to Management

CEO, fire the guy to your left and then quit. The company might stand a chance.

Dec 7, 2016 – The Teaching Company

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience here at the teaching company. We recognize that we’re not perfect, but we really try to provide a good, collaborative environment. We have been ... More

7. "qa"

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

I don't see any cons

Advice to Management

keep it up great work

Oct 18, 2016 – Sr. HR Generalist / Recruiter

Thank you for your response. It is our great people that make it a strong place to work for.

"Call center rep"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment
    Everyone is willing to help you
    (Obviously free coffee)
    Flexibility with schedule requests for time off
    4 weeks PTO

Not sure why there are some bad reviews. I can't speak for the other depts but within the call center, the pay is a lot higher than what you'll ever get at other call centers. You also have plenty of opportunity for overtime pay. There are always going to be a few negatives with any company but overall, I had a great experience.

Cons

Upsell percentage could be higher. The health benefits could also be a lot better but that's all I can think of right now.

Oct 18, 2016 – Sr. HR Generalist / Recruiter

Thank you for your review. Yes, our Call Center pay is above competitiors because we value the hard work you all put in to provide our customers with the best service possible. We are very proud to ... More

"Good but not great"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manassas, VA

I worked at The Teaching Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great and the incentives were good also.

Cons

They don't stand behind their workers. One day they say you're allowed to do something and another day for reprimanded for the same thing.

Advice to Management

To stand by those that are making the company better.

Oct 25, 2016 – The Teaching Company

Thank you for leaving us a feedback. We're sorry you had a bad experience with us and are no longer onboard. However, your feedback is still very important. The Teaching Company strives to hear and ... More

"A Great Product, A Great Team, A Great Future"

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time

Pros

A great product that make improves the lives of others--I like working for a company involved in education. It's a great team to work with in a hard working, dynamic, and fast paced environment. The organization is pretty flat and talking to the management team is easy. Overall, communication is transparent. I'm impressed by the way the organization continues to evolve and expand delivery formats and content.

Cons

Lots of great ideas and not enough time and resources to get them all done. It is a fast paced and dynamic environment which might not be suited for everyone. Likewise, as the company continues to grow some are unwilling to adapt and more willing to complain which is a little disappointing.

Advice to Management

Prioritize. Continue to listen to the customers and employees. Keep up the communication. Hire people who will thrive in the fast paced culture and willing to grow and evolve.

Oct 18, 2016 – Sr. HR Generalist / Recruiter

Thank you very much for your response!. We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you are enjoying working with us. We are definitely working on making the right changes at the right time and ... More

"Worked like a dog and kicked for my trouble"

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time

Pros

Some really good people, high production schedule

Cons

Whenever something beyond control arises, the answer is make the staffers work more. They'll work you till you're broken. Then when you're broken, they'll work you more.

Advice to Management

When you hear your employees are having trouble, do something. A manager's job is to do everything to keep their employees working their best so they're around for the long run, not use and abuse them until they quit.

Oct 25, 2016 – The Teaching Company

We thank you for your difficult review. We are sorry that your expectations are not being met. We have a open door culture and our HR team is always available to hear you out and help you in all ways ... More