The Tile Shop, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2019

3.1
Cabell Lolmaugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Tremendous opportunity for advancement, I jumped up from a sales associate to a manager in under 2 years, they truly rewards talent" (in 11 reviews)

• "The company has great benefits which was a huge element for my family" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is difficult but if you ask for what you need then management will accommodate you" (in 14 reviews)

• "You can have some pretty long hours" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Store Manager - My Journey"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bel Air, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Exceptional Training
    • Individual Career Growth Opportunities
    • Holiday and Vacation Pay
    • Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
    • HSA Employer Contributions
    • 401(k) Plan with employer matching
    • Company Paid Basic Life Insurance
    • Company Paid Long Term Disability

I started with The Tile Shop in October of 2014. Since then, I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with some extraordinary people! The Tile Shop has offered endless possibilities for my career and I have gladly accepted every opportunity that has come my way!

My journey began in my hometown of Greenville, SC and there is where my tile family started. For me this was just not a job that I just showed up to each day. This is where I spent most of my days learning, growing, meeting new people and sharing awesome experiences with each person I came in contact with.

During my time in Greenville, I was promoted to Assistant Manager in September of 2017. I was also given opportunities to travel to other stores in other states, such as North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Minnesota, and Maryland to either receive extensive training or to work under great managers who needed a helping hand, which soon led me to wanting bigger things. The recruiting team listened to what I wanted and needed going forward with my career, and boy did they deliver?! I was presented with the position of Assistant Manager in Rockville, MD

I spent 4 challenging months in Rockville, MD learning from the best of the best! A new drive and mindset started to develop due to a certain kind of leadership and inspiration I was exposed to. Which leads me to today. Today I am the manager of The Tile Shop in Bel Air, MD. Collectively I could not have achieved my goals without the Leadership Team of The Tile Shop.

Cons

Most will not like working weekend but Saturday and Sunday are by far our busiest days

Advice to Management

Exercise good judgement

2. "Amazing career growth opportunities at all levels!"

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my 20+ year career, I have never met a more passionate, dedicated work family!

Cons

We are a team that works until the job is done which sometimes means long hours.

3. "definitely could be much better."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You’re 100% commission, so you get out what you put in. There is the opportunity to make a considerable amount of money here if you are willing to work for it. If you like a fast pace and high pressure this would be good for you. There’s a lot of opportunity to be creative since you work directly with clients to design their projects. It is relatively easy to move up the ladder and get promoted but a lot of times you have to be willing to drop everything and move on a few days’ notice. Medical and dental benefits are great.

Cons

100% commission, so unless you’re absolutely killing it there’s no guarantee of a consistent paycheck. Schedule is very demanding, you’re there a minimum of 45-50 hours a week and Saturdays are mandatory as it is the busiest day of the week. It’s hard to get a consistent schedule because of the needs of the store, most of the time I get my schedule for any given week on the Sunday night before. Assistant managers do not get salary and are expected to do the work of management while also meeting a higher sales goal than the rest of the team. You do get an opportunity for a bonus but both you AND the store have to hit your goals in the same month. Taking time off isn’t really advised as not being in the store and available to your customers can really hurt your sales.

Advice to Management

Give AMs a salary. Expecting them to help run the store, train associates, and hit a higher sales goal all at once is unreasonable.

4. "Great team and numerous opportunities to make a difference"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a job at a growing company where you will be given responsibility and people will want to hear your ideas, this is the place for you.

Cons

If you're looking to "punch the clock" this probably isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Tile Shop is a fantastic place to grow! They see the potential of their employees, and if you are willing to put the time and work in, they will take you where you want to go in your career. The benefits package is amazing - with an employer 401k match and HSA that the company also contributes to! The people are friendly and welcoming -team oriented environment!

Cons

Hours can be long but you are compensated for overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep communication lines open so everyone from the bottom to the top knows the intention and direction of the company!

6. "IT IS WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Have been working for The Tile Shop for more than 4 years. I have worked in multiple locations and it has provided me with an awesome life. In that 4 years I made it from the bottom to store Manager. If you put in the effort then you can go far.

Cons

Tile is heavy. Thin-set is also Heavy.

Advice to Management

Very excited to see what happens in the future.

7. "High pressure, Commission based role"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge paycheck potential, Self motivation

Cons

High Pressure on Management with numbers

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom , great benefits .

Cons

Pay structure is based off profit not amount of sale.

9. "Kiss your Family Goodbye"

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Serious money to be made - during good months

Cons

Working constantly, no work-life balance

10. "All commission & lots of responsibilities to do besides sell. Clean the toilets, scrub the floors, load 1000 lbs/ tile."

Former Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Earn days off as you work.

Cons

Loading trucks of tile without proper safety equipment, warehouse employees that don't do much, and no cleaning staff.

Advice to Management

Before you make bad choices be sure to cooperate with employee concerns, leadership, design ideas and concepts.