The Tile Shop, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 10, 2018

2.8
Robert Rucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Tremendous opportunity for advancement, I jumped up from a sales associate to a manager in under 2 years, they truly rewards talent" (in 11 reviews)

• "The company has great benefits which was a huge element for my family" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Finding a work life balance is challenging" (in 13 reviews)

• "Long hours and you work ever weekend including a early Saturday meeting" (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Store Manager - My Journey"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bel Air, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Exceptional Training
    • Individual Career Growth Opportunities
    • Holiday and Vacation Pay
    • Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
    • HSA Employer Contributions
    • 401(k) Plan with employer matching
    • Company Paid Basic Life Insurance
    • Company Paid Long Term Disability

I started with The Tile Shop in October of 2014. Since then, I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with some extraordinary people! The Tile Shop has offered endless possibilities for my career and I have gladly accepted every opportunity that has come my way!

My journey began in my hometown of Greenville, SC and there is where my tile family started. For me this was just not a job that I just showed up to each day. This is where I spent most of my days learning, growing, meeting new people and sharing awesome experiences with each person I came in contact with.

During my time in Greenville, I was promoted to Assistant Manager in September of 2017. I was also given opportunities to travel to other stores in other states, such as North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Minnesota, and Maryland to either receive extensive training or to work under great managers who needed a helping hand, which soon led me to wanting bigger things. The recruiting team listened to what I wanted and needed going forward with my career, and boy did they deliver?! I was presented with the position of Assistant Manager in Rockville, MD

I spent 4 challenging months in Rockville, MD learning from the best of the best! A new drive and mindset started to develop due to a certain kind of leadership and inspiration I was exposed to. Which leads me to today. Today I am the manager of The Tile Shop in Bel Air, MD. Collectively I could not have achieved my goals without the Leadership Team of The Tile Shop.

Cons

Most will not like working weekend but Saturday and Sunday are by far our busiest days

Advice to Management

Exercise good judgement

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make as much money as you want, management supports the team to drive sales and there is room for career opportunities. Product is fresh and appealing and the turnover is low

Cons

Nothing really bad to say....

Advice to Management

Keep updating the systems, bringing in new products, incentivizing people to drive the sales. Love working for this company

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom , great benefits .

Cons

Pay structure is based off profit not amount of sale.

4. "Kiss your Family Goodbye"

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Serious money to be made - during good months

Cons

Working constantly, no work-life balance

5. "All commission & lots of responsibilities to do besides sell. Clean the toilets, scrub the floors, load 1000 lbs/ tile."

Former Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Earn days off as you work.

Cons

Loading trucks of tile without proper safety equipment, warehouse employees that don't do much, and no cleaning staff.

Advice to Management

Before you make bad choices be sure to cooperate with employee concerns, leadership, design ideas and concepts.

"Not Everything as Promised"

I worked at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time

Pros

Potential to make good money

Cons

There are a lot of things you need to understand that may not be explained in the interviewing process. Your commission is based on net sales. So a $1000 transaction at a 70 mark is really a commission of 13.5% of the $700. But you have to discount heavily in a competitive market to make the sale so often the mark is in the 50's. All contractor discounts comes off of your profit not the company, so you are the one who gets the hit if the buyer is a professional with a 20-35% discount off the bat. And you sales are easily stolen by coworkers. You have to document every sample you sell with a "Selection Sheet" and an email to the customer, but if a coworker writes up that sale for you on your day off they get 25% of your commission. In a multi-store market you have to make sure that your client didn't order from another store. Once the order goes out the door there is very little recourse for a "stolen" sale. There is a lot of pressure to hit your quota every month, and if you don't consistently you can get fired. It is a very physically demanding job with lots of heavy lifting. You have to be able to learn and retain lots of information because there are so many options when it comes to underlayments, thinsets and grouts. If you are dealing with a home handyman you have to explain more than most can understand because they all feel it is easy like in a TV show. You work every Saturday, and it will be a 10 hour day if you have that Sunday off. Don't plan of making more than the base for that first year, only a few have the strengths needed to stay at that job long term.

Advice to Management

Too much emphasis on "backshelf". Way more information for an employee to know for a group of items that have a low profit margin. Too many gimmicks also. Like the "pro rebate" plan, spiffs, and the "power of one". You set up the stores for micro-managing and don't give enough support where it counts.

7. "Review"

Pros

Compensation for actual work is good

Cons

Mandatory weekends (Saturdays), late hours for specialty retail

"Smooching booty to advance"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Shawnee, KS

I worked at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some quality people to work with, some of the best I’ve ever met.

Cons

Watch your paychecks, you can and will be shorted. The mark up is so tremendous and your commission is so small. Even at regional level no one has actually ever installed tile. No one is taught to sell membrane which is a TCNA requirement. You don’t get paid to clean, but you are required to do a lot of it. The bad apples will steal your sales and put them under a different name/number so always watch everyone’s sales. If you’re looking for advancement better figure out early on which booty you must kiss in order to climb the ladder.

"Sales/Design Consultant"

I worked at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time

Pros

There are a few good things about working at The Tile Shop.
    The benefits are outstanding, great healthcare, 401k, HSA. The location I worked at was laid back and management was fun, which made for easy work days.

Cons

Glorified janitor. They gave out daily tasks to each employee, which is fine, the showrooms needed to be kept up and looking nice. But they gave us tasks like cleaning bathrooms, cleaning break rooms, cleaning displays, and so on, which kept us from greeting customers and making sales. The problem is that they gave us tasks that kept us away from the door, then yelled at us for not hitting customers at the door.
    Commission structure is out of whack. I understand that this is sales and if you do not hit your numbers then it's see ya later, but the way our monthly plans were structured made it hard to do.
    Retail hours, oh god. If you do not like working almost every evening and every single weekend, then this is not the place for you.
    Stay on top of your people. If you do not have constant follow up with all of your customers, you will lose the sale.
    Unrealistic expectations. They expect that you sell tile to every single person that walks through the door, the first time they come in. God forbid you sell someone samples or write up selection sheets. They wanted us to keep track of our customers after they left without buying, but yelled at us for selling them samples or working up a quote, doesn't make sense.
    Upper management does not care about you, which is the case in most places, but if you have a bad couple of months which is doable here then they can you with no questions asked.
    Strictly commission, so when doing all of the extra busy work they hand out, and you aren't making sales, you are essentially doing that work for free.

10. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at The Tile Shop, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get paid for the work you put in
    - Beautiful Showrooms
    - Supportive Management
    - Corporate listens to advice, looks to improve on many aspects
    - On top of, and even forecast trends in tile.
    - Absolutely no ceiling for promotion...well maybe CEO but who knows.
    - Ridiculous Amount of Benefits.
    - Have completely revamped Pro Loyalty System that puts competition to shame.

Cons

-You can have some pretty long hours.
    -Sometimes inconsistent schedule that can really wear on your sleep cycle.
    - The Distribution Centers sometimes do not send orders, or send the wrong amount which can mess up your customer's orders.
    - Only Store Managers receive a salary. AM's only get a bonus if they hit their own plan, and the store hits its plan as well. The pay is still good, it would just be nice to be paid for the extra responsibilities.

Advice to Management

I have been with The Tile Shop for quite a while now. I have seen it at what I believe to be its worst, and have watched it slowly raise back up to a place where I love to work. The strides you are making to improve our brand, individual stores, and the products that we offer are all going in the right direction. My only advice is to keep listening to us like you have been.