The Trade Desk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
The Trade Desk Founder & CEO Jeff Green
Jeff Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Trade Desk has given me opportunity after opportunity to expand horizons and take on new challenges" (in 20 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is supported and encouraged as well" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes there can be a lack of work-life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "we are growing very fast to be honest no cons for this" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Intellectually stimulating environment. Awesome cross between independence and guidance when needed. Strong leadership.

Cons

None that I can think of. A growing company will always come with some minor bumps.

"Proud to work at TTD"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

For starters, I have tried very hard not to be a kool-aid drinker, as it's in my nature to question everything, but the culture here is very strong, and the wide-spread positivity is infectious. I was genuinely shocked to find that a large portion of my colleagues seem to enjoy coming to work. Who knew that was possible?

This place isn't Google or Facebook, which I see as a positive. While we aren't pampered with chefs, barista bars, or personal massages, the perks are still quite nice. There are plenty of snacks, free lunches once or twice a week, annual company conferences, sit/stand desks for everyone, legit company swag that I'm not embarrassed to wear around town, and a relatively solid work-life balance. While I don't speak for all, I find the compensation to be far better than that of other companies in our industry.

The leadership team seems genuinely interested in hearing employee feedback and I found them to be accommodating when making special requests.

Cons

I fear that we are focusing too much on the big guys in the room, Google and Facebook, while ignoring the competitors that are in our league, Amobee, Media Math, Oath, Amazon, AppNexus, and Adobe. Some of these similar sized DSPs are slowly gaining market share right under our noses.

One of our biggest selling points to clients is transparency, but this can sometimes be a tricky topic internally. When it comes to compensation and management decisions, I find it's in my best interest to not speak up and ask the obvious questions for fear of angering management.

As a whole, the company is very young, and in some cases, this shows - especially with regard to some of the other reviews on this site. Compensation, work/life balance, and growth opportunities are all things that should be earned and come with time and hard work. I've had several jobs prior to TTD which have provided me with perspective on each of the aforementioned topics. I feel that some of the disgruntled folks don't know how good they have it.

Advice to Management

Please don't take questions about policies or compensation personally. In some cases, the comp structure can be a tad confusing, so questions regarding clarification are not necessarily an indication of unhappiness or unfairness, but simply a need for further explanation.

TTD is clearly doing something right, as indicated by the tremendous growth both in headcount and finances. Don't focus too much on making sure that everyone loves the leadership team. The role of leadership is to be smart and make tough decisions, even if they are unpopular.

"Awesome Company, Small Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is hands down the best place to work in Ventura County. We really are one big happy family here. The benefits, perks, and camaraderie are second to none.

Cons

Sometimes there can be a lack of work-life balance. If you're hired into a salaried position, expect to work longer weekday hours and occasionally on weekends.

Advice to Management

We aren't a startup anymore but we like to pretend we are. In some ways that's good, but it can be bad morale. We still act like we're the company that surfs on our breaks when realistically most of us eat lunch at our desks because we're so busy. Let's embrace our growth in a more honest way.

"Address Negativity"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Work with smart people
    Inspiring vision from CEO

Cons

Ideals of CEO dont trickle down to management
    Company is going through growing pains and needs to implement policies and procedure
    People have had bad experiences with management that have not been addressed, leading to an incredibly negative environment

Advice to Management

Address the negativity. Some people might complain about everything but if even the sensible people seem negative, there is a problem. Talk to people and dont expect managers to solve everything because they are likely the issue.

Take a hard look at those in leadership. Please dont be complacent about those in leadership who dont add much value. Having these people in power leads to the people below them becoming disillusioned especially since the CEO says he values impact to the company

"Look at the title of the last 4 reviews..."

Pros

Strong product, CEO is a good guy, working with clients is fun and rewarding...at the best of times (see below).

Cons

Seriously, how can anyone believe these reviews when the last five 5 star reviews all have the same title? Such BS. This company works people like slaves by creating a hostile culture. Salespeople and AMs hate each other, people complain about you behind your back if you leave before 5 PM, most people are underpaid for the size of book they’re carrying. Beware.

"Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people and culture. Leading edge technology in a nuanced and ever changing landscape. People actually care about one another and what we are doing.

Cons

Very hard to think of any noteworthy cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire well, protect the culture.

"Best place I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant leadership, amazing product, smartest, most hard working people in ad tech, great culture

Cons

Requires a lot of hard work which is not actually a con for those who work here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Best place I've ever worked. Full stop."

Current Employee - Business in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Trade Desk has given me opportunity after opportunity to expand horizons and take on new challenges. I feel supported by management and believe that my colleagues are some of the best people in the industry. I truly feel fortunate to come to work with them every day.

Cons

Not much to say in the way of cons.

"Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Helpful and encouraging engineering culture. Easy to make an impact.

Cons

Will update if see any in the future…

"Don't lose who you are"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

In many ways, this has been the best place I've ever worked. The people I get to work with every day are motivated and dedicated - you can rely on them.

Cons

The longer I'm here, the more layers I see built and still little is being done to invest in proper management training for the emerging generation of managers. There are rumors of pure tyranny and bulling (or poor work ethic) from our head of client services & sales, but as mentioned in other posts, our titles are not equitable across the company (so maybe they are in these roles too early?). There are Directors who would be VPs at bigger companies, and Directors who should be individual contributors.

The biggest disappointment came when our CEO basically shut down any conversations around diversity. At a company our size, it's a reasonable and fair question - what are we doing about it? His response was insulting, basically "I have friends who are diverse so I know what diversity is." I feel reluctant to write this comment but I've heard he reads these reviews, and hope he takes it seriously that we weren't satisfied with that answer. Many of us are confused at some of the management changes that have happened; the exec team keeps investing in people who act in ways that are contrary to how we position ourselves as a company (with empathy & transparency).

Advice to Management

We once had a really good thing. We hired great people, invested in them, and the company thrived. Don't let egos and process and HR and wall street prevent us from making this a great place to work and a booming business.