The Trade Desk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
The Trade Desk Founder & CEO Jeff Green
Jeff Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Trade Desk has given me opportunity after opportunity to expand horizons and take on new challenges (in 20 reviews)

• Work-life balance is supported and encouraged as well (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say the main issue is a work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• we are growing very fast to be honest no cons for this (in 8 reviews)

1. "Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people and culture. Leading edge technology in a nuanced and ever changing landscape. People actually care about one another and what we are doing.

Cons

Very hard to think of any noteworthy cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire well, protect the culture.

2. "Best place I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant leadership, amazing product, smartest, most hard working people in ad tech, great culture

Cons

Requires a lot of hard work which is not actually a con for those who work here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Best place I've ever worked. Full stop."

Current Employee - Business in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Trade Desk has given me opportunity after opportunity to expand horizons and take on new challenges. I feel supported by management and believe that my colleagues are some of the best people in the industry. I truly feel fortunate to come to work with them every day.

Cons

Not much to say in the way of cons.

4. "Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Helpful and encouraging engineering culture. Easy to make an impact.

Cons

Will update if see any in the future…

"Don't lose who you are"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

In many ways, this has been the best place I've ever worked. The people I get to work with every day are motivated and dedicated - you can rely on them.

Cons

The longer I'm here, the more layers I see built and still little is being done to invest in proper management training for the emerging generation of managers. There are rumors of pure tyranny and bulling (or poor work ethic) from our head of client services & sales, but as mentioned in other posts, our titles are not equitable across the company (so maybe they are in these roles too early?). There are Directors who would be VPs at bigger companies, and Directors who should be individual contributors.

The biggest disappointment came when our CEO basically shut down any conversations around diversity. At a company our size, it's a reasonable and fair question - what are we doing about it? His response was insulting, basically "I have friends who are diverse so I know what diversity is." I feel reluctant to write this comment but I've heard he reads these reviews, and hope he takes it seriously that we weren't satisfied with that answer. Many of us are confused at some of the management changes that have happened; the exec team keeps investing in people who act in ways that are contrary to how we position ourselves as a company (with empathy & transparency).

Advice to Management

We once had a really good thing. We hired great people, invested in them, and the company thrived. Don't let egos and process and HR and wall street prevent us from making this a great place to work and a booming business.

6. "Satisfied"

I worked at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

-Friendly Environment and good base salary

Cons

-Not much room to move up

Advice to Management

provide skills for employees to further be successful in the industry

"Underpaid, overworked, and underserved."

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

New computer and stand up desk when you join and go through on-boarding to learn about the product and industry to get you ready for clients. Our CEO although narrow-minded (diversity comment in a previous review) has good intentions when steering the company. You will have fun during company outings in California.

Cons

I encourage you to see if the reviews provide examples to support them. If not you will see that 1) HR asked others to write the vapid statements or 2) they really can't provide proof because it's not true. Here are some details about the company culture, compensation, and work.

The company runs on rumors. Many reviews have said something along the lines of being the best place they have worked, being around the most intelligent, curious, hardworking, and tenacious people. That is the kool-aid talking. You WILL be underpaid. If you read, the ones who said "decent" pay were the engineers. You WILL work long hours because everyone else does it.

The work is not mentally stimulating. One fact, some people (plural) have spent their day trading on the stock market on a separate computer while working. That should tell you how challenging and stimulating the work really is. I get it. We all have to make a living even if it means having two jobs.

"Rumors of pure tyranny and bullying (or poor work ethic) from our head of client services " True. You will interview and know what we are all trying to say as soon as you meet her. Be humble.

You will also notice the negative ones have more likes because most of us are afraid to post this with the fear of having it traced and it's easier to just support than to voice anything.

Advice to Management

Pay better and do not make us feel we have to stay late, please.
    The reviewers who see nothing wrong with the company are in all seriousness, for lack of a better word, delusional.

"Good Product and Cautionary Work Environment"

Current Employee - Client Services
    Current Employee - Client Services

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great on-boarding experience
    - CEO
    - Commarderie with teams
    - Best product in the industry
    - Drinks on Friday
    - Company trips and holiday parties are very nice
    - Young environment
    - Higher standards on recruiting
    - Smart people
    - free lunch from time to time
    - insurance, dental, and 401K increased
    - can get stock options at a discount
    - good clients

Cons

Things have not changed and issues seem to magnify as we get bigger.

- encouraged to write positive reviews of personal accounts, there was an uptick in good ones after a negative ones come out

- no transparency at all with commission and how it is earned or shared, everyone has just stopped asking after a while since we meet our goals. Clawbacks can still happen

- Even though transparency is a value, the company is not transparent with clients on how the technology really works. We teach clients all day long but if they pay attention they will see a paradox and we are discouraged from being transparent with them on this

- no work life balance, looked down upon if you leave before 7 pm, we are not saving lives people. The CEO has mentioned how some offices can be better at this but management should lead by example

-vacation during peak season is discouraged

- management can be passive aggressive at the time you arrive even if it is 9:15 am, it is more the culture of agencies since we work closely with them

- promotions are just fancy titles, rarely you are actually doing something new

- compensation is really low in comparison to industry standards, they supposedly negotiate by giving three months of free commision which they claim they never do but actually give to everyone. You should negotiate for more months of secured commision since you start earning it way later

- everyone earns different amounts even with having the same title like higher base lower commision or lower base and higher commissions, they could have joined three months after you. Some have negotiated higher bonuses

- helicopter moms

- focus on culture to keep retention high for underpaid college graduates

Advice to Management

-reward the talent you do hire
    -be honest with clients and employees
    -evaluate management and continue encouraging feedback from people
    -focus more on EQ than IQ with management
    -encourage more product innovation

"I love this place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

* Great focus on an open culture that focuses on trust and valuing diverse opinions
    * Everyone gets to know the entire product on the engineering side and isn't silo'd into component ownership.
    * Really tough technical challenges.
    * Great vision for the company.

Cons

* May not be for everyone. If you want to just be told what to do and focus on one component, you'll feel overwhelmed.

10. "Great Company with Great Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays pretty well, benefits are excellent, and I feel valued

Cons

There are small growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep listening