The Trade Desk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
The Trade Desk Founder & CEO Jeff Green
Jeff Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Trade Desk is an outstanding company" (in 22 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is supported and encouraged as well" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes there can be a lack of work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "It really is difficult to come up with something that I feel is much more difficult at the Trade Desk than other places that I've worked" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company!"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

C-Suite is visible and transparent, employees come from a variety of backgrounds and all support TTD's vision and mission, great benefits and perks, opportunity to travel, strong focus on maintaining special culture with high growth

Cons

Processes sometimes get in the way of getting things done, no manager evaluations

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your team, listen to them, and truly help them grow. Your team's success is a reflection of your ability as a manager. Believe in them and don't set them up for failure.

"An honest review"

Current Employee - Business Support Analyst in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Business Support Analyst in Ventura, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top of the line benefits (medical, dental, 401k, stock)
    Free snacks and food
    Ventura is beautiful-close to the beach

Cons

NO work life balance
    NO flexibility
    NO “real” HR
    Too many cliques

Advice to Management

Executive management at The Trade Desk is wonderful ... so it seems. Unfortunately, everyone is blinded by the stock prices and maintaining a false “happiness”. Work life balance is nonexistent. For women especially, moving up is quite challenging. They boast of collaboration yet your ideas are constantly shut down by the “older generation” who have fear of change ... fear that you will take their job. So improvements remain stagnant. In order to get promoted, you have to be on call 24 hours, 7 days a week, brown nose, and dedicate your LIFE to The Trade Desk. It’s much different than what they advertise publicly “Work Life Balance” and “Flexibility”. No one in my department has a life. There’s inappropriate behavior, borderline sexual harassment, discrimination … not a positive place to be long term. TTD is proud to be one of “The Best Places to Work” ... not if you have integrity, a family or an active personal life. TTD doesn’t care about you as a person like they used to. Honestly, they feel their benefits make up for the abuse. HR is nonexistent and are not employee friendly. You address what would be consider to be serious issues and you’re frowned upon. The cycle continues. You watch people come in with bright eyes, inspired and loving the vision… Yet one year later they are physically, mentally, and emotionally drained ... sadly it shows as new hires look aged only a year later. It’s hypocrisy. I used to think that the C level management may be not in the loop on these things, but they are well aware and choose to ignore it by offering great benefits, food, parties and stock options. You can’t buy everyone and will continue to lose great people by not correcting potential liabilities and bullying by middle-management. I love TTD, but something has got to give. Material things will not give a person their life, family and integrity back.

3. "Best Place To Grow"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineering culture that strives to make sure everyone is satisfied and challenged. Asking questions is greatly encouraged, as is helping those who need it. Managers make an honest effort to hear you out and help you grow your career. Trustworthiness and humility are a TTDer's best virtues.

Cons

TTD is only near-perfect. The effort is there to fix things but management can be slow to figure out the right solutions.

Advice to Management

Growing the team is hard, please stay transparent, especially when we fail or are wrong.

4. "Worth the Ride"

Pros

- Benefits
    - Flexibility to pursue other interests within the company
    - Passionate environment
    - Possibility of Travel
    - Global company with exposure to global teams

Cons

- Becoming a manager requires more politicking than one would like (but it's no different than any other company and they have been re-investing in middle management)

Advice to Management

There is no such thing as a perfect company, or a perfect culture. Though TTD hides it's flaws well, we are not exempt from that truth. Over 3 years is enough time to know that upper management listens to every word. I give you a 5 because you know how to hire smart people who care.

"Work/Work (where's the Life?)"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They've definitely done well from a product perspective in pushing out quality technology. The trajectory is up and to the right, but it comes at a cost.

Cons

For a majority of the company, the work/work (no life) balance places a huge burden and creates resentment. While not explicitly required, by default, those with families that want to succeed have to (HAVE TO) sacrifice family time in order to keep up. The pace of play continues to stretch employees thin, and unless you're single and in your twenties and can solely focus on your career, you're going to inevitably sacrifice home for career.

Advice to Management

Get strategic. Hire better. Respect that your employees have familial needs and give them the ability to thrive and succeed without having to sacrifice so much at home.

"Application Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, I can honestly talk to anyone and we will click. The benefits are okay also and lots of small perks to make you feel special. Management and CEO preach mobility within the company. Free snacks! and catered lunches!

Cons

The long work hours really take a toll on work life balance. Also the pay is not the great but in natural start up fashion they try to make it up by awarding stock options which vest over 4 years.

Advice to Management

Keep doing whats been working, I think we should compensate employees better and allow for more of a work life balance.

7. "Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Trade Desk is an outstanding company. Leadership constantly proves that they value their employees. The technical challenges are non-stop and are key to career growth for engineers. Everyone is very helpful and happy. It's a very healthy place to work!

Cons

We're probably too big now for promotion announcements. Those are getting old.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This place has been great for years and continues to be great because management's leadership.

"Amazing work environment, coworkers, product, and future"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Ventura, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the typical Silicon Valley pros like free food, flexible work hours, great comp packages, etc. Upper management is also amazingly receptive to new ideas and loves contributors. Everyone is willing to work extremely hard for a unified vision and goal. The future is very bright, but only if we go and execute at a high level.

Cons

It's hard being the ugly stepchild of Google and Facebook. Aside from that, not much. There is a tad of a work-life balance issue, but I think I might have mostly myself to blame for that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what got us here: push the envelope and make bold decisions without sacrificing our relationships with our agencies. At the same time, stay in our lane. We got to where we are by being a top tier DSP. We don't need to be a full stack solution like GMP.

"Your mileage will vary"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Clear company vision
    Great benefits (medical, dental, 401k, etc.)
    Global company allows each office to have its own culture
    Solid work-life balance, with monthly morale events (most offices I visited)
    Inter-office travel is available if you're on good terms with your manager
    Depending on your team, there are some exciting technologies to work on

Cons

Lack of trust lends itself to a culture of fear
    No cohesive management training leads to a wide range of experiences
    Lack of diversity in engineering leads to tired solutions
    Actual company culture falls short of message
    Outside management hires do not understand or demonstrate many of the core values being shared by executives.

Advice to Management

Trust is a two-way street.
    Sharing your opinion should be valued and not seen as toxic.
    Listen to your employees. Managers shouldn't control the narrative.
    Allow people to switch managers. More experiences create well rounded people.

Managers should have a thorough knowledge of the produce and what their reports are doing. Having to explain the purpose of a component does not provide much confidence in your manager being able to advocate for you.

You've created a culture of fear where people are scared to speak out for fear of being labeled negative or an instigator. You're not going to grow if you only want to hear positive feedback. Learn to listen before jumping to conclusions about motive.

"Not Great"

I worked at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Great perks
    CEO is great

Cons

TTD talks a lot about culture but I don't think they actually know what that is. On the surface it may seem great but when you actually delve deeper there are really big issues that no one wants to address. For example, upper management is a complete joke. Most of them don't want to be managers but were put in those positions because they've been there the longest. Along with all the other "managers", I would say only a handful are qualified. This is taking into account all the offices across the world. They are put in those positions without actually wanting to be in a management spot.
    Lots of people take advantage of expensing things, it's shocking. There are people who work hard and are really smart. There are others that are just plain awful human beings but don't get fired because they have friends or are connected with managers and upper management.
    Reading this you may be inclined to think TTD is pretty great, but talk to some of the actual people who work there because most of these "awesome, amazing" reviews aren't real. TTD has real issues a lot of people with actual power don't want to address.

Advice to Management

You need to allow employees to rate their managers anonymously and these rating should go straight to Jeff. There are too many managers who don't know what they're doing. Upper management should also be evaluated. Some people are dead weight and need to be replaced.