The Trade Desk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
The Trade Desk Founder & CEO Jeff Green
Jeff Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Trade Desk is an outstanding company" (in 22 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is supported and encouraged as well" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes there can be a lack of work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "It really is difficult to come up with something that I feel is much more difficult at the Trade Desk than other places that I've worked" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Trade Desk is an outstanding company. Leadership constantly proves that they value their employees. The technical challenges are non-stop and are key to career growth for engineers. Everyone is very helpful and happy. It's a very healthy place to work!

Cons

We're probably too big now for promotion announcements. Those are getting old.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This place has been great for years and continues to be great because management's leadership.

2. "Application Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, I can honestly talk to anyone and we will click. The benefits are okay also and lots of small perks to make you feel special. Management and CEO preach mobility within the company. Free snacks! and catered lunches!

Cons

The long work hours really take a toll on work life balance. Also the pay is not the great but in natural start up fashion they try to make it up by awarding stock options which vest over 4 years.

Advice to Management

Keep doing whats been working, I think we should compensate employees better and allow for more of a work life balance.

"Work/Work (where's the Life?)"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They've definitely done well from a product perspective in pushing out quality technology. The trajectory is up and to the right, but it comes at a cost.

Cons

For a majority of the company, the work/work (no life) balance places a huge burden and creates resentment. While not explicitly required, by default, those with families that want to succeed have to (HAVE TO) sacrifice family time in order to keep up. The pace of play continues to stretch employees thin, and unless you're single and in your twenties and can solely focus on your career, you're going to inevitably sacrifice home for career.

Advice to Management

Get strategic. Hire better. Respect that your employees have familial needs and give them the ability to thrive and succeed without having to sacrifice so much at home.

"Amazing work environment, coworkers, product, and future"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Ventura, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the typical Silicon Valley pros like free food, flexible work hours, great comp packages, etc. Upper management is also amazingly receptive to new ideas and loves contributors. Everyone is willing to work extremely hard for a unified vision and goal. The future is very bright, but only if we go and execute at a high level.

Cons

It's hard being the ugly stepchild of Google and Facebook. Aside from that, not much. There is a tad of a work-life balance issue, but I think I might have mostly myself to blame for that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what got us here: push the envelope and make bold decisions without sacrificing our relationships with our agencies. At the same time, stay in our lane. We got to where we are by being a top tier DSP. We don't need to be a full stack solution like GMP.

"Your mileage will vary"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Clear company vision
    Great benefits (medical, dental, 401k, etc.)
    Global company allows each office to have its own culture
    Solid work-life balance, with monthly morale events (most offices I visited)
    Inter-office travel is available if you're on good terms with your manager
    Depending on your team, there are some exciting technologies to work on

Cons

Lack of trust lends itself to a culture of fear
    No cohesive management training leads to a wide range of experiences
    Lack of diversity in engineering leads to tired solutions
    Actual company culture falls short of message
    Outside management hires do not understand or demonstrate many of the core values being shared by executives.

Advice to Management

Trust is a two-way street.
    Sharing your opinion should be valued and not seen as toxic.
    Listen to your employees. Managers shouldn't control the narrative.
    Allow people to switch managers. More experiences create well rounded people.

Managers should have a thorough knowledge of the produce and what their reports are doing. Having to explain the purpose of a component does not provide much confidence in your manager being able to advocate for you.

You've created a culture of fear where people are scared to speak out for fear of being labeled negative or an instigator. You're not going to grow if you only want to hear positive feedback. Learn to listen before jumping to conclusions about motive.

"Not Great"

I worked at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Great perks
    CEO is great

Cons

TTD talks a lot about culture but I don't think they actually know what that is. On the surface it may seem great but when you actually delve deeper there are really big issues that no one wants to address. For example, upper management is a complete joke. Most of them don't want to be managers but were put in those positions because they've been there the longest. Along with all the other "managers", I would say only a handful are qualified. This is taking into account all the offices across the world. They are put in those positions without actually wanting to be in a management spot.
    Lots of people take advantage of expensing things, it's shocking. There are people who work hard and are really smart. There are others that are just plain awful human beings but don't get fired because they have friends or are connected with managers and upper management.
    Reading this you may be inclined to think TTD is pretty great, but talk to some of the actual people who work there because most of these "awesome, amazing" reviews aren't real. TTD has real issues a lot of people with actual power don't want to address.

Advice to Management

You need to allow employees to rate their managers anonymously and these rating should go straight to Jeff. There are too many managers who don't know what they're doing. Upper management should also be evaluated. Some people are dead weight and need to be replaced.

"The best tech company I have worked for."

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership. Clear vision. Compensation, benefits and perks are A+. If you like to dig and learn it's a great place to be.

Cons

The career growth for employees in smaller markets and in middle tier roles seems stunted.

Advice to Management

Don't let department heads isolate their teams. Let leaders grow. There are other teams besides Business and Engineering; they keep the wheels burning too.

"Growing company, normal problems"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Growing fast and lots of room to move around if you want. Lots of tech. Advertising is always a great space.

Cons

People who were around from the early days, now in much more elevated roles. They wont tell you how smart they are, but you'll either get on board with that idea or you wont be around long. Very tight knit group at the top. Whether they are qualified for their positions or not. Again, accept it or you wont last long. Innovation? No. Well, there is "innovation" but I know they have passed on some very heavy weight industry vets who could have really pushed the company forward. Why? Fear?

Advice to Management

I get it,,, you're all friends. Sell to a larger company so they can gut you and finally get rid of the relatively smart people who think they are a whole lot smarter.

Or

You need to shake up executive management. That does not mean firing them all, but when really sharp talent comes knocking, put the company first and your egos aside.

"It's a split road"

I worked at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is truly a company that wants to do well, and has done a great job so far of surpassing the competition in becoming a stand out in the ad-tech space... just look at the stock gains.

You'll learn a lot real fast so as long as you're able to stand on your own two feet and live and breathe the culture.

It's a great resume addition.

Cons

TTD is a culture first company; if you don't drink the kool-aid you won't last long and you will not enjoy yourself. If you aren't "one of the guys" then you won't grow a career here.

Don't believe everything management and the executive leadership tell you. Just read previous reviews (not the blatantly obvious positive ones "People Ops" has employees write) and you'll see the true colors of the company.

Gossip is real and team cliques are all over the place.

The pay is poor for what you can make elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and lose the old school mad men management style.
    If you say you want employees to freely talk to any manager in the company, actually mean it.

"Proud to work at TTD"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

For starters, I have tried very hard not to be a kool-aid drinker, as it's in my nature to question everything, but the culture here is very strong, and the wide-spread positivity is infectious. I was genuinely shocked to find that a large portion of my colleagues seem to enjoy coming to work. Who knew that was possible?

This place isn't Google or Facebook, which I see as a positive. While we aren't pampered with chefs, barista bars, or personal massages, the perks are still quite nice. There are plenty of snacks, free lunches once or twice a week, annual company conferences, sit/stand desks for everyone, legit company swag that I'm not embarrassed to wear around town, and a relatively solid work-life balance. While I don't speak for all, I find the compensation to be far better than that of other companies in our industry.

The leadership team seems genuinely interested in hearing employee feedback and I found them to be accommodating when making special requests.

Cons

I fear that we are focusing too much on the big guys in the room, Google and Facebook, while ignoring the competitors that are in our league, Amobee, Media Math, Oath, Amazon, AppNexus, and Adobe. Some of these similar sized DSPs are slowly gaining market share right under our noses.

One of our biggest selling points to clients is transparency, but this can sometimes be a tricky topic internally. When it comes to compensation and management decisions, I find it's in my best interest to not speak up and ask the obvious questions for fear of angering management.

As a whole, the company is very young, and in some cases, this shows - especially with regard to some of the other reviews on this site. Compensation, work/life balance, and growth opportunities are all things that should be earned and come with time and hard work. I've had several jobs prior to TTD which have provided me with perspective on each of the aforementioned topics. I feel that some of the disgruntled folks don't know how good they have it.

Advice to Management

Please don't take questions about policies or compensation personally. In some cases, the comp structure can be a tad confusing, so questions regarding clarification are not necessarily an indication of unhappiness or unfairness, but simply a need for further explanation.

TTD is clearly doing something right, as indicated by the tremendous growth both in headcount and finances. Don't focus too much on making sure that everyone loves the leadership team. The role of leadership is to be smart and make tough decisions, even if they are unpopular.