The Trade Desk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
The Trade Desk Founder & CEO Jeff Green
Jeff Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Trade Desk is a great place to work (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance is supported and encouraged as well (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • we are growing very fast to be honest no cons for this (in 8 reviews)

• I would say the main issue is a work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Leaders are Industry Pioneers
    High Growth Rate
    Strategic and Competitive Management

Cons

Fast expansion of product and hiring may leave you behind the curve at times, but that's a great problem to have, always something to learn and always have new relationships to build!

"A Different Direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Massive revenue and employee growth
    - An eager product team that continually strives to be ahead of the industry
    - Great experiences bringing a small startup from Ventura, to one of the leading IPOs in Ad Tech.

Cons

- Commission structures are constantly being reduced by management without agreement from employees
    - Although we have had a lot of positive growth, the egos are growing just as quickly
    - The company seems to be losing it's original identity, and has become too corporate.
    - The culture is lost, thus effecting the employees negatively.
    - Extreme micro managing and false promises.
    - There are no minorities on the leadership team.

Advice to Management

- You claim to push transparency in our industry, but your employee compensation is a blackbox.
    - Stay humble
    - Keep your promises.
    - Respect your employees.

3. "Awesome!"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Tons of free food, great benefits. Great culture and everyone is willing to help.

Cons

Too much food, too many office events.

Advice to Management

Let people work!

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at The Trade Desk part-time (More than a year)

Pros

IF you want to learn then a good place to start

Cons

you need to be a fast pace player

5. "everyone loves working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

no kool-aid, just passionate and team-oriented employees

Cons

might get stuck working here for a bit ;)

"In general, very good."

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great benefits - they do want employees to be treated well and continue to re-evaluate coverage and perks
    - CEO, Jeff Green, has a great vision for the company and industry and everyone has confidence in his leadership
    - great product built by an outstanding team of engineers & developers, supported by a dedicated client team that makes us stand out to clients

Cons

- definite original boy's club in leadership positions (women "leaders" are kept back of the house in legal, HR, finance) & those at the top are untouchable
    - the political game is getting strong
    - management training is not enforced or encouraged. Just because someone is good at one part of a job, it does not mean they can be a leader
    - although we are growing quickly, a number of departments lack direction, organization and roles are filled only externally rather than exploring current employees as candidates
    - focus is shifting away from service and employee happiness and towards putting up numbers for the street, as expected
    - New York work life is intense and draining. Other offices are more balanced, but word on the street is those employees are seen as lifestyle people, not career people (since they're not in NYC), so opportunity is limited

Advice to Management

Look into 360 degree reviews to get feedback on team leadership & put more of an emphasis on team contribution and growth, not just individual. Pay attention to employee's skill sets and strengths and use those, rather than discounting them if they're not the same as your own - diversity is a good thing and it takes more than one type of person to get the job done.

"Great company to work!"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

Great culture! Amazing team! Effective business model!

Cons

I would say the main issue is a work/life balance.

"amazing product, good people (for the most part), but not a perfect company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- first of all, TTD is an amazing product and clients absolutely love it. the commitment to service level is absolutely there. they're also one of the moral companies in ad-tech and the CEO, Jeff Green, is a genuinely good guy who does what he says he's going to do.

- benefits are very solid (ESPP, 401k, vision is amazing, dental, health, etc.) and the company does take care of its employees in that respect. you can expect typical start-up checklist items like catered lunch twice a week, stocked fridges for snacks, standing desks, etc. in most offices.

Cons

- there have been some pretty severe commission issues and they do claw back commissions when receivables are unpaid by agencies. before this, several people were not getting paid for months at a time. for a company that touts transparency, there is frankly zero transparency into how people get what commission (AM teams get paid based off of some mysterious merit-based commission structure).

- there's also an intensely kool-aid culture in some respects. i almost feel like i'm committing sacrilege by giving TTD less than 5 stars and putting my job security at risk. there are many situations where you'll be heavily vilified by other team members for leaving before 7-8 o'clock. this is not a WFH friendly company in almost all situations with a few exceptions and you should not expect to take any vacations sept-december.

- i've heard that a couple VP-level folks are downright mean. keep in mind that for the most part, people are super super nice and great to be around so it really depends on your team.

Advice to Management

be more transparent to your employees about how they get paid, especially AM/sales/business team folks. accept that people have their schedules and extracurriculars and encourage less vilification by hiring more people instead of working them to the bone in some cases.

"Pretty Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ventura, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has a pretty great engineering culture, definitely better than any company I've worked for before. We have great benefits such that I feel our leadership actually gives a crap about its employees. Morale is generally great, and it's a very positive environment. People in every department believe in what we're doing. The positivity is often infectious. The pace really fast. It's great, but sometimes it's too much. Our technology stack works fairly well and is pretty scalable. We have a lot of really tough engineering challenges.

Cons

Titles are arbitrary. It's unfortunate that a company that has got so many other things right can't seem to get this right. TTD is no different than other companies I've worked for in that regard. Titles and promotions are sometimes given for seemingly no reason. Some people have titles they shouldn't have; others should have titles that they don't. Maybe it's the tech industry in general, but it sucks.

We move too fast for our own good sometimes. Work-life balance is tough when you run a platform that requires attention 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out for culture shift with growth. It's happening.

"Can still be a good thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast moving company , who can keep up with the pace of the industry. You are surround by Best and brightest in ad tech. Everyone is generous with their time and always willing to lend a helping hand.

Cons

The strive for success can over shadow the happiness of employees. Starting to feel very corporate.

Sales and Product teams thrive, where other teams struggle with vision and defining career paths.

Morale is on the decline as the company shifts thinking towards revenue.

Advice to Management

Access the happiness of employees. Do not just dismiss unhappiness and attribute it as being unmotivated or unwillingness to contribute since it probably didn't start off that way.