The Trade Desk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
The Trade Desk Founder & CEO Jeff Green
Jeff Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Trade Desk is a great place to work (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance is supported and encouraged as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • we are growing very fast to be honest no cons for this (in 8 reviews)

• Work-life balance is tough when you run a platform that requires attention 24 hours/day, 7 days/week (in 3 reviews)

"Truly a special place to work"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly it's such a special place to work. We're solving interesting challenges, communication is open, employees are a mix of gritty and quirky awesomely smart people who I get to work with ever day. Tons of autonomy, collaboration, and growth potential here. I feel incredibly lucky and privileged to work at such an amazing company where I truly sense that I make an impact and get to hang out with awesome people all day long.

Cons

Not many- I think some people are too entitled and expect too much as this is many people's first job. This company does a fantastic job taking care of us. They listen, they care. They value our opinions. We're going through some natural challenging times as we transition into a larger company, but overall we have the same soul that makes us who we are back when were were just 40 people.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as open, transparent, and accessible as you have been in the past. Continue to hold the company to the standard that you have for the past 8 years and let's just keep doing what we're doing together.

"amazing product, good people (for the most part), but not a perfect company."

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- first of all, TTD is an amazing product and clients absolutely love it. the commitment to service level is absolutely there. they're also one of the moral companies in ad-tech and the CEO, Jeff Green, is a genuinely good guy who does what he says he's going to do.

- benefits are very solid (ESPP, 401k, vision is amazing, dental, health, etc.) and the company does take care of its employees in that respect. you can expect typical start-up checklist items like catered lunch twice a week, stocked fridges for snacks, standing desks, etc. in most offices.

Cons

- there have been some pretty severe commission issues and they do claw back commissions when receivables are unpaid by agencies. before this, several people were not getting paid for months at a time. for a company that touts transparency, there is frankly zero transparency into how people get what commission (AM teams get paid based off of some mysterious merit-based commission structure).

- there's also an intensely kool-aid culture in some respects. i almost feel like i'm committing sacrilege by giving TTD less than 5 stars and putting my job security at risk. there are many situations where you'll be heavily vilified by other team members for leaving before 7-8 o'clock. this is not a WFH friendly company in almost all situations with a few exceptions and you should not expect to take any vacations sept-december.

- i've heard that a couple VP-level folks are downright mean. keep in mind that for the most part, people are super super nice and great to be around so it really depends on your team.

Advice to Management

be more transparent to your employees about how they get paid, especially AM/sales/business team folks. accept that people have their schedules and extracurriculars and encourage less vilification by hiring more people instead of working them to the bone in some cases.

"Pretty Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ventura, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has a pretty great engineering culture, definitely better than any company I've worked for before. We have great benefits such that I feel our leadership actually gives a crap about its employees. Morale is generally great, and it's a very positive environment. People in every department believe in what we're doing. The positivity is often infectious. The pace really fast. It's great, but sometimes it's too much. Our technology stack works fairly well and is pretty scalable. We have a lot of really tough engineering challenges.

Cons

Titles are arbitrary. It's unfortunate that a company that has got so many other things right can't seem to get this right. TTD is no different than other companies I've worked for in that regard. Titles and promotions are sometimes given for seemingly no reason. Some people have titles they shouldn't have; others should have titles that they don't. Maybe it's the tech industry in general, but it sucks.

We move too fast for our own good sometimes. Work-life balance is tough when you run a platform that requires attention 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out for culture shift with growth. It's happening.

4. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TTD is a great place to work!

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Great!

"Can still be a good thing"

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast moving company , who can keep up with the pace of the industry. You are surround by Best and brightest in ad tech. Everyone is generous with their time and always willing to lend a helping hand.

Cons

The strive for success can over shadow the happiness of employees. Starting to feel very corporate.

Sales and Product teams thrive, where other teams struggle with vision and defining career paths.

Morale is on the decline as the company shifts thinking towards revenue.

Advice to Management

Access the happiness of employees. Do not just dismiss unhappiness and attribute it as being unmotivated or unwillingness to contribute since it probably didn't start off that way.

6. "Great company with great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great culture. The company ensures all employees have a clear career path with various opportunities to grow professionally and personally.

Cons

I've been with the company for 4 years and still struggle to find cons.

7. "No place I'd rather be"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is the real deal.

I've spent many years writing software and I've worked for many companies, the Trade Desk has a very unique blend of culture, market position, strategy and success.

The people here really like each other and enjoy the time that they spend together. The company understands how important culture is to their overall success and shows time and again that the culture cannot be risked in the pursuit of other goals. There is no lip-service to this here.

The engineering team has scaled very nicely using methodologies that many other companies wouldn't dare attempt; distribution of development around the world and shared ownership of all key components. There also is absolutely no benefit to being in the "home office". This is a tremendous benefit to the people that do not want to live in the expensive areas where tech and the advertising world tend to congregate. People can work on any project from any location around the world. That's very rare in the world of software development.

We celebrate company successes more than individual successes (though we recognize and celebrate those as well) and there is a constant focus on doing things that make the company and our customers successful.

There is a good mix of short-term and long-term focus in development. It is so easy in a world of limited resources and unlimited things to build to focus only on what can make us the most money tomorrow while not planning for what's needed in 6 months or a year. That always leads to tons of pain down the road.

Somehow, even with all of that, work/life balance is as good as it gets. People work hard and then go home. Our office lights up around 8am every day and nobody is ever there past 6:30p. Most people in the office work a solid 8.5 hour day and we typically eat lunch together, including two days a week when lunch is provided by the company.

tl;dr; best job I've ever had.

Cons

I really had to think about something significant here. It really is difficult to come up with something that I feel is much more difficult at the Trade Desk than other places that I've worked. The biggest difficulty in our office is that we can't find enough engineers who are qualified to do the job and who find their way through the door. Being from a not so well-known company definitely has it's drawbacks when it comes to recruiting new employees.

Advice to Management

Obviously keep it up. We have a really good thing going. I never dreamed that buying advertising could be so interesting, challenging and rewarding. Do what needs to be done to continue to find the best employees for every role that needs people.

8. "The best company I've worked for!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked 15 years in the industry and this is the best work culture I've ever encountered. It is filled with smart, hard-working folks who are kind and generous with their time. Work-life balance is supported and encouraged as well. The company is thriving with rapid growth and increasing revenue with a growing international presence.

Interesting problems, great work, fantastic culture. What more can you ask for?

Cons

Haven't come across one yet. Genuinely.

Advice to Management

Keep your commitment to the culture you have crafted as you grow. It's fantastic.

9. "Best job I've had"

Current Employee - Trader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time

Pros

The Trade Desk is a great place to work. If you like challenging work in a great atmosphere working with great people then this is the place. There are perks such as free lunches and healthcare as well Professionally the work is interesting and the compensation is great.

Cons

The ramp up period when joining is quite long but for good reason. We like to have our employees 100% ready and up to speed.

10. "Great Company Culture in Asia"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in So Kon Po (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in So Kon Po (Hong Kong)

I have been working at The Trade Desk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great colleagues and very fun environment. Transparent and people are always talking about grit which they really walk the talk. We actually enjoy going to work every Monday!

Cons

Nothing much - just hoping we will grow our team and we will have our own office soon!