The UPS Store Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The UPS Store President Tim Davis
Tim Davis

Pros
  • Get to learn a lot of different things (in 20 reviews)

• For a part time job it paid every week (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits besides 10% employee discount (in 56 reviews)

• Starting salary is low but there is room for advancement (in 24 reviews)

1. "associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The UPS Store (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is not hard at all

Cons

It is Open on Saturday

2. "Not Great for Graphic Designers"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Mooresville, NC

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I got to meet a lot of interesting people; famous race car drivers, NFL players, musicians, actors, etc..

Cons

- Low pay

-No advancement

-No benefits

-No set breaks

-No paid vacation

-No paid days off; not even federal holidays. You are just out and have short paychecks.

-Managment too lax on making employees to be there on time. Me and one other person would open in the morning. I was always about 20min early while the other one was always 20-40min late. The person always overslept. We would have irate customers in the morning waiting at the door. I complained to the manager but she didn't care. Funny, the person seemed to be able to get up on time if they knew the owner was going to be there at 8:00am.

3. "Great for Starting your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UPS has wonderful health insurance options, people are helpful and kind to each other. Working for a company that's over 100 years old has a lot of interesting history and changes over time. Many of the programs and structures in place are logical and well-tested. Tim Davis is a no-nonsense kind of guy.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, little to no development opportunities. No option to work from home, must have a fixed schedule. Minimal tuition reimbursement. Very slow to change technology, poor morale overall. Many members of leadership started as UPS drivers. They see others who did not as outsiders, seems very much like an old boys' club.

Advice to Management

People need more flexibility from their employer.

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stillwater, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stillwater, OK

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. office experience, multi-tasking practice, patience practice, increased my typing speed, print and design experience, small commission for mailbox subscription sales.
    Wearing a uniform was practical to me at the time because I didn't have the money to buy 7+ work outfits. Great coworkers.

Cons

No short breaks, no lunch breaks, management shaved a few overtime hours worked every pay period, LOW PAY FOR FULL TIME EMPLOYEES (at least 2-3 dollars less an hour than whats reported on here.
    A LOT OF WORK for such little pay, this job is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Advice to corporate- keep an eye on privately owned UPS Stores. This store owner breaks the law everyday. Also, nepotism is a problem here, along with other privately owned stores i'm sure. It was guaranteed you were never going to get promoted, no matter how long you worked there or how hard you worked.
    Advice to management- appreciate your employees. Don't judge them for not getting an education. Education costs money that's why I personally was working there, and I didn't make enough to even pay my monthly bills and my student loan payments while working here, let alone trying to get back into school.

6. "Oh my..."

Former Employee - UPS Store Clerk in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - UPS Store Clerk in Carmel, IN

Pros

Great immediate manager, very professional. Flexible schedule, to a point.

Cons

Owners are a mess. Unfamiliar with store operations, micromanage and show preferential treatment to certain staff, namely their own family members. Don't appreciate hard working manager.

Advice to Management

Apply your skills to a job where you are appreciated.

7. "Ups store manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

As an employee you get to learn how to ship and receive and do print work experience is necessary

Cons

I was overworked I was underpaid I had to deal with jerks all day long and people constantly undermine your intelligence

8. "It's up to you!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The UPS Store full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of wonderful customer and learn about their business. The drivers are the best in the industry and you have a flexible schedule.

Cons

It's a popularity contest. Few opportunities for advancement in the area of interest. Hostile work environment due to management. Corporate gets involved but takes years to resolve discrimination issues. A lot of under the table activity takes place to cover managements behinds. Can't trust staff, HR or management. Very stressful.

Advice to Management

Advice doesn't matter. UPS is interested too much in making quarterly numbers/earnings then to really care about how their people are being treated. As long as they "won" that's all that matters. Sacrificing people, their health, their jobs is of no consequence. UPS will be the first to tell you they want to put people where they will thrive the most. But in reality UPS puts people where they need you the most regardless if you like it or not, good or not, etc. it's all about them. UPS wants you to bleed brown like they do BUT the moment you stop believing the crap you are now treated like any other normal human being who values family and sanity. Much like this dream they preach about work life balance. There is none. Managers work on vacations. Miss out on their family functions because UPS is selfish and makes you believe they care and they are your family. As long as the employees are aware of that then they can better gauge do k want to work for this company.

9. "Franchise"

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The UPS Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a difficult job, good for students

Cons

Each store is different because it is a franchise. The store I work at no one knows how to multitask, the owner does not know how to do most of the required everyday task, I am forced to do everything by myself most days so it can be overwhelming. Owner hires people who show up late and spend their shift on their phones.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do everyday task, help out you employees and hire people who care about the work they do.

10. "The UPS Store"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in York, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in York, PA

I have been working at The UPS Store (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with unusual and unique items daily

Cons

Franchise managers inexperienced in managing a business, employees

"Eh"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Portland, ME

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company can be great if you put the time in and there is an understanding by the owner of how to manage. Pay is usually decent for the kind of work being done.

Cons

No benefits, individually owned so supervision can be terrible depending on the owner, Limited growth.

Advice to Management

If you own a store treat your employees right and promote from within in small businesses like these. No one likes being hired with a promise of growth to have someone else hired above them after.